Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

EDDIE 1 HERE

Leitrim are back
Mighty second half
What more can I say,only it would do your heart good
We were scoring for fun in the second half

I will have a little 'jemmy' tonight and plan the weekend in the garden county next weekend
I HOPE IT IS NOT A 'SLEIGH' JOB

see you all there

Up Leitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 27/01/2019 20:43:06    2160103

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Great result, great performances all over the field. A few handling mistakes, a few brining ball unnecessarily into contact and maybe a bit of lazy tackling aside this team showed why the optimism is so much higher than it has been for many a year. One slight worry, only two natural defenders on the bench, Rooney and Gary Reynolds, Eoin Ward can play there but hopefully Noel Plunkett, Fergal McTague and Conor Reynolds return soon. Forward line has the opposite problem, only 6 places for 10/11 players who are getting better game by game. A win next weekend would really put us in a good place. Fitness levels in last two games have to be mentioned, second half performances like that are built with great fitness levels."
Great result today
Would love to see Leitrom getting up to Div 3.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 402 - 27/01/2019 20:43:16    2160104

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Well done Leitrim great start and sign of things to come and to think so thought the new manager would bring dour low scoring football to Leitrim."
Terry when first over Cavan introduced a defensive game plan as we were leaking goals. Gradually evolved to being one of top scorers in country. I'd take him back tomorrow.

doratheexplorer (Cavan) - Posts: 1443 - 27/01/2019 21:42:47    2160142

Link

Some start!

That win is worth a lot more than two points. The value of that will be seen in training this week. It will guarantee that any doubters on the panel will fully buy into the management teams methods. Competition for places will also be through the roof.

What was even better was that I didn't even think we were great yesterday, and yet we still won by 13 points which coming out of a Leitrim supporters mouth is crazy.

It just didn't click for us in the first half but that can be put down to Wexford being fresh, nerves, getting used to a new system, players playing with eachother for the first time and the fact that 4 out of our named 6 defenders wouldn't be natural defensive players.

A few things that didn't work: McGovern at full forward didn't work aswell as it did against Mayo as he struggled to get space with the sweeper infront of him but it is something I would stick with for the next game.

The strategy to place Domhnail Flynn and Damien Moran on the two wings to give an out ball for our kick outs just didn't work and meant that we became too narrow at times and slow in our build up play although Flynns workrate in the second half was immense.

Sean McWeeney as a sweeper had a great came and came out with a world of ball which freed up Quinn and Mulvey to attack. Paddy was brilliant in a defensive sense as always but he brought the ball into contact to many times and got turned over.

What can we say about Ryan O'Rourke? They could not deal with him. He can turn on a 6 pence and was flowing with confidence. On hard ground on a fast pitch he is going to be a nightmare for any team he faces.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 28/01/2019 10:58:46    2160304

Link

We can't get carried away but I suppose it's as simple as this beat Wicklow on Sunday and win our remaining home games and that will surely see us promoted. Yes easier said than done but that is the realistic route.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 28/01/2019 11:18:27    2160314

Link

It's great to be excited about going to Leitrim games and discussing Leitrim football again.

O'Rourke was just electric and every time the ball went near him there was a buzz throughout Pairc Sean. At division 4 level there's no reason why he can't perform at that level on a consistent basis. Although I would say he will be in for some "treatment" in Aughrim.

I thought Mark Plunkett was superb at centre back especially when we consider that he had never played a competitive game in that position before. His shoulder in the second half brought the whole crowd to its feet and symbolised the character of the whole team. His array of foot passing was magnificent and is a bonus to playing him so deep. He even missed a few chances on goal that he would normally take so his influence will only rise.

Shane Quinn may have got sent off and he must be frustrating for his own players and management at times when he gets involved needlessly but he is exactly what every team needs, a bit of a 'scamp' who gets under the skin of the opposition and shows that Leitrim won't be walked over anymore. His engine is also incredible as he never stops running.

I do think we need to work on Kick-out strategies for the opposition and our own. We were playing a sweeper which meant that they played short and were able to build from the deep far to easily in the first half. Whether that was due to a lack of work rate on our behalf or do we need to mark zonally if we are not going to push up I'm not sure but it is something that needs to be looked at.

Fergal McTague, Oisin Madden, Noel Plunkett, Emlyn Mulligan, Evan Sweeney, Sean Flanagan and Conor Reynolds were all injured or came back into the squad late and were not named and I would expect them all to push for a place on the team or the panel in the next few weeks which is extraordinary to think about from the level we have been at in the last few years!

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 28/01/2019 11:58:13    2160333

Link

It was a good but not a great performance yesterday; we were deserving winners, but the margin of it was due to the Wexford keeper playing a big role in at least 2 of the 3 goals (if not all three!). But it's a good complaint - play bad and win well! Ryan O Rourke is just something else! I thought Domhnaill Flynn had a good game too, as did Sean Mc Weeney. Shane Moran in the 2nd half showed just how good he can be.

The trip to Aughrim is huge - hopefully a big following make the journey and I have a sneaky feeling Wexford will do us a favour by beating Antrim in Wexford Park next weekend. They are a decent side (Wex) and the two malones (I think??) at wing back for me were outstanding. The lad at 15 too impressed me and the full back is a player for sure

A win in Aughrim and we'll have some backing for the Antrim game.........

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 28/01/2019 12:26:26    2160354

Link

DIdn't see that coming even at half time. I suppose the goals really swung it. Nice to see the lads get off to a good start. Ryan O'Rourke was a livewire. Everytime he got the ball something was happening. Was surprised Rooney didn't start. Was he injured or something. He seemed a real threat when he came in. There could be lots of goals in this Leitrim team yet!! Great save by McKiernan as well when Wexford should have had a certain goal. We did allow Wexford too much freedom with the short kickouts. They got away with building from the back too easy at times.
Yeah but don't want to get carried away. We beat Antrim a few years ago in similar fashion and it all went wrong a few weeks later. Aughrim will be a tougher test and Leitrim won't have as much support there. Our surprise element has gone now too! Can't wait for next Sunday now, all going well I plan to be there.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 220 - 28/01/2019 12:37:42    2160356

Link

To score 3.15 and arguably not play great is very positive Ryan O'Rourke is a pleasure to watch was involved in everything positive we done.
Keeper made one fabulous save and done well one criticism he needs to be faster on the restart.

Paddy Maguire showed his class he has plenty of pace and power and was harshly pulled for over carrying one of a number of questionable decisions by the ref and his officals. Shane Quinn second yellow was laughable.

Negatives from yesterday, some of the decision making in the first half especially was poor. Some players continued to hop the ball on a surface that was up to it. This improved in the second half.
Dean McGovern didn't look fit or comfortable at full fwd looked better out the field.

Positives. Ryan O'Rourke fantastic display Ryan is the most exciting forward to emerge since Padraig Kenny came on the scene.

Wexford were very poor and Ryan's two quick fire goals killed the game as a contest so lets not get carried away. Two points on the board need to push on now.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 28/01/2019 12:45:39    2160361

Link

Great win and the +13 on scoring difference could be crucial in the long run.

Very indecisive in what we were trying to do in the first half but we have to remember that 7 of the players who started yesterday did not play league football in 2018 and some of them did not play any inter county football at all last year.

O'Rourke was clearly the stand out performer that goes without saying and I think there's even more in him. When he's on form like that he's worth going to see alone. For a player that is not that tall he competes for every time of ball that is played into him. Mark Plunkett's tackling and passing gave the whole team a platform to build off and for a young player it was great to see him encouraging and marshalling some of the other players into position. Aidan Flynn did very well for someone who is not usually a corner back and was solid.

I thought Shane Moran was immense. Yes, he stupidly brought the ball into contact and over played a few times like he has always done and hopefully Terry and co. can eradicate that from his game but I have never seen him play with such an edge and physicality to his play. His work rate for a big man around the field was great to which has to be the bedrock to anyones performance.

Our shooting was quiet poor which is strange to say when we scored 3-13. Jack Heslin can be slightly flakey in this regard but once it clicks for him he is going to be phenomenal as he just glides with the ball in hand. He even fisted a goal chance over the bar in the first half as it looked like he didn't trust his weak foot which can be worked on. Pearce Dolan and Mark Plunkett also missed or got blocked down with 2 attempts that they usually wouldn't so that will only improve. We also need to stop dropping shots into the keepers hands as it gives the opposition the chance to build quickly.

The one thing that impressed me most was the impact that Gary Plunkett, Darragh Rooney and Cillian McGloin had off the bench. They all scored and assisted for point's aswell. We looked far more fluid and fast when they came on whether that is down to them or the fact we were on the front foot or that Wexford's legs were gone remains to be seen. I do think either Plunkett or Rooney will start next weekend.

7 players started that were 25 or under, only two that were 30 in Ray Mulvey and Maguire and Gary Plunkett, McGloin and Darragh Rooney are all under 24 who came on. Fergal McTague also would have started and he is only 22 or so. There is something to build on here if managed right.

Have not seen that many young people at a league game in Carrick for a long long time!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 138 - 28/01/2019 13:36:35    2160385

Link

Great performance yesterday by the boys, winning home games are a must! Now i just cannot understand why you all are saying derry have a given right to top the group, they are in freefall the last number of years, y would 2019 be any different? Leitrim should not fear them! Whether it is in Derry or not, 2 points is a distinct possibility in every game, Derry just got over Antrim the weekend so what makes them world beaters! Leitrim to get 14 points this season and win the final in Croker!
Liatroim Abu!!!!

blackpuddin (Leitrim) - Posts: 69 - 28/01/2019 15:20:05    2160433

Link

Derry don't have a God given right to win the Division but they should have better players than most of the rest of us. I wouldn't write us off going up there but on the laws of probability, Derry are justifiably favourites.

For us, we need to take one game at a time. There are NO easy games in this Division - none. Any game - including London, Waterford, Limerick - that we do not prepare properly for, we WILL be beaten. For now, the only thoughts should be of Wicklow. Get 2 points down there hopefully and then we'll look at the next one (Antrim)

Its hard not to get excited at this stage (we've been starved of success for so long) but it is very very early days. Onwards to Aughrim and hopefully some of the injured lads will be back in the frame

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 28/01/2019 16:21:09    2160461

Link

Replying To blackpuddin:  "Great performance yesterday by the boys, winning home games are a must! Now i just cannot understand why you all are saying derry have a given right to top the group, they are in freefall the last number of years, y would 2019 be any different? Leitrim should not fear them! Whether it is in Derry or not, 2 points is a distinct possibility in every game, Derry just got over Antrim the weekend so what makes them world beaters! Leitrim to get 14 points this season and win the final in Croker!
Liatroim Abu!!!!"
In fairness Derry got to the Minor All-Ireland final in 2017 and the Ulster Minor final in 2018 against Monaghan so they have some good players coming through off the back of it. Antrim away is a very tough place to go and most teams would struggle going there in January. I'm not saying Derry are world beaters but they definitely have enough quality throughout their squad to be justify been favourites to win Div 4.

Grey_Owl (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 29/01/2019 08:57:32    2160622

Link

For anyone to say Shane Quinn's second yellow was laughable means they didn't see the incident. The linesman, rightly, informed the referee that Quinn was trying to lure the Wexford player in to striking him by stopping him getting up, dragging his leg and by being annoying. The Wexford player to his credit didn't take the bait. One slight push and Quinn would have rolled until he got to Tesco. It's not a nice trait in any player. Quinn with ball in hand is excellent but like a few of our players work on the dispossession of players would be better served than mimicking the association football stars.
Domhnall Flynn picked it up a lot the last day but I still think the pace of the game at county level is too fast for him. His attitude is certainly top class. Damian Moran was disappointing and I do think our kick outs were poor.
Everything there can be worked on. Lads rightly say we shouldn't fear Derry, they are in Div 4 for a reason.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 29/01/2019 09:29:52    2160629

Link

We need to get out of Aughrim next Sunday with a win rather than worrying about Derry.
Wicklow were 0-6 points to 0-1 behind at half time in Fraher field to Waterford and came back to win 1-7 to 0-9. So that was a 6 point turnaround. No a bad achievement for Wicklow last week no more than us as we never won in Fraher field that I can remember too often. Note that Waterford beat Wexford last year in the Championship qualifiers.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 220 - 29/01/2019 12:32:22    2160682

Link

Shane Quinn deserved a second yellow however how no action was taken against the Wexford player, who when they were on the ground had his knee in his chest, was laughable. Ref poor in general mind.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 29/01/2019 12:54:44    2160699

Link

Fantastic result in the end on Sunday but plenty of room for improvement and i for one will not be getting carried away just yet. Being honest Wexford were extremely poor and showed very little fight once we got the couple of goals in quick succession but credit where credit is due to our lads who once they smelt blood they drove on and were clinical. I was impressed with the pace in which we turned defence in attack in the second half and some of our attacking moves were a joy to watch.

Our standout performer was obviously O'Rourke who just oozes class but i suspect he will be given alot more attention (not that it will bother him!) down in Aughrim on Sunday but we have enough quality in the forwards now to not just be solely reliant on him for scores. Sean McWeeney was the other standout performer for me on Sunday also. The impact from the bench was very pleasing and we have serious options for forwards coming off the line. When you have the luxury to bring a player of the quality of Rooney off the bench then i think that speaks volumes. although i think he may be in the starting 15 come Sunday.

The wagon rolls on to Aughrim on Sunday where we all know we will get nothing easy and we will need to up our performance levels again to overturn a Wicklow side who are somewhat improving. We have a poor record in Aughrim although we did win impressively in the same venue two years ago. I see some much room for improvement in our team which is very exciting and pleasing. Great start on Sunday and we go again this Sunday. It would be fantastic to be welcoming Antrim to Carrick in a few weeks with 4 points tucked neatly away in our arse pocket.

I said this before but i will say it again. 10 points will see us finish in the top two i believe.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 29/01/2019 13:21:33    2160710

Link

Exactly it's only one game. This weekend is huge for us against Wicklow. This is how I see this weekend games going in div 4

Wicklow v Leitrim = leitrim win
Wexford v Antrim = Antrim win
Derry v London = Derry win
Limerick v Waterford= Limerick win

The table if results go that way will be

Leitrim 4
Derry 4
Limerick 4
Antrim 2
Wicklow 2
London 0
Wexford 0
Waterford 0

So if we can go into the Antrim game and beat them with head to head sorting out teams together on points we will effectively be 5 points ahead of them. The only danger team then will be Limerick in our quest for promotion as I'm giving the assumption that Derry will beat everyone

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 29/01/2019 15:16:38    2160747

Link

Eddie 1 here

stop will ye. You are making me hyperventilate

Have ye no memory. Leitrim went to Aughrim in 2015 expecting to win, and we were going well, in fact we were 9 points up, and we lost by a point . Myself and herself went back to Bray after the match and spent the night on the 'slots'
we were so depressed

There is lads on here almost saying were promoted. We are so running away with ourselves.

Let's just concentrate on Wicklow

See you there

Up Leitrim

Eddie1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 29/01/2019 22:11:47    2160823

Link

We'll said Eddie 1.Some lads getting carried away here alright. Winning on Sunday is the only objective.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 143 - 30/01/2019 06:41:40    2160851

Link