Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To coldfeet:  "What we all need is for you to learn how to spell!!!"
Disappointing comment. And beneath the usual informative comments allowed on the site. Hopefully the moderators take action against this outrage.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 25/03/2019 19:29:44    2175389

Link

As Saturday approaches, we look back on all the bad times we've all had, or as i like to call them, 'the preparing for the good times' times. We push those memories behind us cause that's all they are, and we look forward to this wonderful occasion. Leitrim county, County Leitrim takes its place amongst the other 31. I dont care what they say about Football in Leitirm, this day means a lot more than just football to us folk. This is a day we get to walk down any street, wherever in the world our county colours touch, from Sydney to Vancouver to London with our chins up and our chests out. Club hatreds will be put aside, from the depths of Mitchell's bar in Carrigallen to the roofs of St Aidans church in Kinlough, everyman will stand together and unite for our beloved county. I havent much more to say here, but ill tell you one thing, fellow Leitrim enthusiasts, i'll be starting my Saturday morning with a cold can of Miller lite in a quiet Tavern in Edinburgh and ill be finishing arm in arm with some rare buck from Kiltubrid in Coppers. And id have it, no other way. Leitrim Abú.

LENOVO (Australia) - Posts: 36 - 25/03/2019 23:28:44    2175457

Link

Replying To LENOVO:  "As Saturday approaches, we look back on all the bad times we've all had, or as i like to call them, 'the preparing for the good times' times. We push those memories behind us cause that's all they are, and we look forward to this wonderful occasion. Leitrim county, County Leitrim takes its place amongst the other 31. I dont care what they say about Football in Leitirm, this day means a lot more than just football to us folk. This is a day we get to walk down any street, wherever in the world our county colours touch, from Sydney to Vancouver to London with our chins up and our chests out. Club hatreds will be put aside, from the depths of Mitchell's bar in Carrigallen to the roofs of St Aidans church in Kinlough, everyman will stand together and unite for our beloved county. I havent much more to say here, but ill tell you one thing, fellow Leitrim enthusiasts, i'll be starting my Saturday morning with a cold can of Miller lite in a quiet Tavern in Edinburgh and ill be finishing arm in arm with some rare buck from Kiltubrid in Coppers. And id have it, no other way. Leitrim Abú."
I genuinely think it is lovely for ye to be getting yer big day out in Croke Park. It is wonderful for smaller counties to get the opportunity to play there. We have been there so many times now it is not a novelty anymore but I am sure it will be a fantastic occasion for Leitrim people and it is well deserved. It may only be a division four league final (and some may accuse ye of getting carried away by it)- do not listen to them. Enjoy the big day out and make the most of it.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 26/03/2019 10:03:39    2175485

Link

Going to name what I think will be our panel of 26 for the day. I to agree with previous posters when they said there's probably 13 or 14 of the starting team decided upon already. The hardest part I feel is going to be deciding on who doesn't make the panel for such a big day. As far as I know Noel Plunkett and Sean Flanagan are still injured or not back to sufficient fitness to be considered and there's question marks over Damien Moran.

1. Diarmuid McKiernan
2. Aidan Flynn
3. Michael McWeeney
4. Paddy Maguire
5. Shane Quinn
6. Mark Plunkett
7. Ray Mulvey
8. Shane Moran
9. Dean McGovern
10. Sean McWeeney
11. Domhnail Flynn
12. Jack Heslin
13. Evan Sweeney
14. Pearce Dolan
15. Ryan O'Rourke

16. Cathal McCrann
17. Fergal McTague
18. Conor Reynolds
19. Oisin Madden
20. Gary Reynolds
21. Emlyn Mulligan
22. Gary Plunkett
23. Darragh Rooney
24. Cillian McGloin
25. Conor Cullen
26. Damien Moran*

Players who are on the panel but won't be named.
1. Cathal McCauley
2. Niall Brady
3. James Rooney
4. Nicholas McWeeney
5. Oisin McCaffery
6. Sean Flanagan*
7. Noel Plunkett*

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 26/03/2019 11:01:51    2175498

Link

That's the team I think Terry will select.

McKiernan
Flynn Maguire McWeeney
Mulvey Plunkett McWeeney
Moran
McGovern
Heslin Flynn Quinn
O'Rourke Dolan Plunkett

From watching Derry the last day they are physically huge around the middle third. So winning primary possession from Kickouts and not carrying the ball into contact will be huge. I do think going overly defensive will be shooting ourselves in the foot. Try run some of their big players and put them on the back foot and facing their own goals. Heslin should start and if he's not sharp take him off when he starts to tire; he gives us an out ball on the half forward line which we have been lacking in his absence. Pearce Dolan at full forward will be crucial. Brendan Rodgers will probably pick him up so hopefully when Dolan drifts Rodgers will follow him and leave space for our other forwards. I'd start Gary Plunkett, he has shown with his club and in bursts with the county that he can handle the pressure and everyone knows the scoring ability he has if he gets going early. Why I'd start him though is his physicality, he's a great foil for O'Rourke and is well able to win his own ball. If we leave O'Rourke, Gary Plunkett and Jack Heslin forward and Domhnail Flynn, Shane Quinn and Pearce Dolan drift then we should have a good balance.

Shane Moran has probably been our best player throughout the league but he is going to have to up it again if we are going to be competitive. McGovern alongside him worries me. We all know he has the talent but on a fast moving pitch like Croke Park I'd be worried he might get caught out fitness wise.

In defence, Aidan Flynn is going to have to mark Shane McGuigan, with Fergal McTague looking like he's not being considered as a starter Flynn is the only one of our defenders strong enough for him and he went to town on us the last day. Paddy Maguire will have to mark Enda Lynn who is a really intelligent footballer. Padraig Cassidy is a massive man, he didn't start against us the last day but is a definite for Saturday. Mark Plunkett will have to pick him up around our half back line. The one who worries me is Christopher Bradley, He's brilliant. Maybe Michael McWeeney will tag him but if Bradley drifts it will leave our defence wide open. Sean McWeeney as our sweeper has been lacking pace but he is probably our best reader of the game and makes good decisions once on the ball so he will have to pick up runners coming through, if he was struggling I'd bring on either McGloin or Oisin Madden as they are both good at carrying the ball and have the pace for getting around the park.

I honestly believe this is a winnable game. First 20 minutes is key. If we can keep in touching distance it will settle our boys who will be nervous and if we can be in the game with 20 minutes to go the likes of Darragh Rooney and EmlynMulligan could come on to push us over the line. Discipline will be key. We can't afford to get black cards or reds it will ruin us.

Penny for Paul Brennans thoughts, He'll be warming up as our game is in the closing stages. Faith.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 26/03/2019 11:42:55    2175504

Link

You're probably on the money there Leitrimway.

I'd be starting Rooney but perhaps Hyland feels he's had enough chances and might rather to spring him from the bench.

What an experience for these lads.

What are the plans for Saturday around Drumcondra? 6 year old me in 1994 presumed there would be many days like this.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 26/03/2019 12:13:37    2175513

Link

Replying To FatRef:  "You're probably on the money there Leitrimway.

I'd be starting Rooney but perhaps Hyland feels he's had enough chances and might rather to spring him from the bench.

What are the plans for Saturday around Drumcondra? 6 year old me in 1994 presumed there would be many days like this."
Drinking cans in the dugouts in Dalymount Park from 8am onwards. All welcome. Bring the childer.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 26/03/2019 12:22:40    2175519

Link

Replying To FatRef:  "You're probably on the money there Leitrimway.

What are the plans for Saturday around Drumcondra? 6 year old me in 1994 presumed there would be many days like this."
It's important to say at this juncture that all of us travelling to the game are representing our county and should behave accordingly as I know we will.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 26/03/2019 12:48:55    2175526

Link

When have we not?

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 26/03/2019 12:55:10    2175530

Link

I think this is a fantastic opportunity for you as a county to bridge the north south divide and ease tensions that may have been simmering over the years. I know this only too well as I live on the border (hence my strong interest in football there). I just hope that ye can pull together and maybe build bridges and all push forward together for the betterment of GAA in your county. The GAA needs the minnows and the poorer counties as much as it needs the richer ones.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 26/03/2019 13:11:59    2175538

Link

Might be wishful thinking here, but does anyone know is their a leitrim supporters bus going from Galway to Croker on Saturday? I know a lot of leitrim people around the Galway area will be heading up as we did in 94!.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 26/03/2019 14:42:46    2175559

Link

Really looking forward to our day out on Saturday. It has been a long wait since 2006 to see our footballers in Croker.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 26/03/2019 15:55:11    2175585

Link

The previous posters would seem to be spot on in their team prediction, I think Jack is the only one who will force his way in to Terry's thinking and the other 14 will keep their places(on merit I may add ). Seán McWeeney is going to be influential from the first whistle, it usually takes too long for him to make an impact. He is an intelligent player but I feel he doesn't take up the sweeper role fully til after 20 mins. I think we will need him in place as early as possible as we have been quite porous in giving up goal chances in every game. The centre is too easily breached so Mark, Sean and Micheal need to ensure this area is patrolled a lot tighter than we have been.
Nerves is the other issue. Derry have an advantage in that a lot of their players will be used to the vastness of Croke Park. Our lads need to settle early and hopefully get to a stage where they can savour the atmosphere.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 27/03/2019 08:24:05    2175739

Link

When we are conceding 5 or 6 goal chances a game against division four opposition is the sweeper working?
Feel we should have tried different men here. Just my opinion.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 27/03/2019 11:57:36    2175782

Link

Wishing the Leitrim footballers and fans the best of luck on Saturday. There's a great buzz around the place and looking forward to a great final in Croker. Tyrone have 3 All Irelands in my time of following them, but I had the pleasure of being at the Connacht Final in 94 and the celebrations that day where something I never experienced or have since!

Red_Rumbled (Tyrone) - Posts: 67 - 27/03/2019 14:32:47    2175819

Link

Shane Quinn should and could well take up the sweeper role this weekend. Was by far our best defender last year and he should tighten up the middle of our defence. Derry were missing 3 of their key forwards against us and we were missing a few defenders but we will have to play with a sweeper to contain them scoring. Mc Tague should start to try and stop the aerial threat posed by a big Derry inside forward line. Word us that he is fully fit.If Jack Heslin is fit he should start. We will need his pace on Saturday in particular to move the ball quickly up the pitch. Dean should be left around the middle third to try and cut out the supply from the Bradleys inside. This will leave acres of room for O Rourke and M Plunkett to Excel and bring the cup home.

My team for Saturday

1Mc Kiernan
2Maguire
3Mc Tague
4Mc Weeney
5Flynn
6Plunkett
7Mulvey
8Moran
9Dolan
10Quinn
11Flynn
12Heslin
13Plunkett
14Mc Govern
15O Rourke

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 27/03/2019 16:04:47    2175841

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Shane Quinn should and could well take up the sweeper role this weekend. Was by far our best defender last year and he should tighten up the middle of our defence. Derry were missing 3 of their key forwards against us and we were missing a few defenders but we will have to play with a sweeper to contain them scoring. Mc Tague should start to try and stop the aerial threat posed by a big Derry inside forward line. Word us that he is fully fit.If Jack Heslin is fit he should start. We will need his pace on Saturday in particular to move the ball quickly up the pitch. Dean should be left around the middle third to try and cut out the supply from the Bradleys inside. This will leave acres of room for O Rourke and M Plunkett to Excel and bring the cup home.

My team for Saturday

1Mc Kiernan
2Maguire
3Mc Tague
4Mc Weeney
5Flynn
6Plunkett
7Mulvey
8Moran
9Dolan
10Quinn
11Flynn
12Heslin
13Plunkett
14Mc Govern
15O Rourke"
That'd be close to the team that I would go with.

Think there'll be a good few changes to what Terry picks though.

Would be very very surprised if Fergal McTague starts after seeing no action last weekend. I agree though if he is fit and sharp (which it is said he is) he's needed for his physicality but it would be a big ask to play in Croker after only a half of football in 8 weeks.

The boys played an in-house game after the weekend and I think a lot of the selection will go on that.

I agree on Quinn being the sweeper, this is the role he got our county player of the year in last year.

But we all have to remember, Terry's experienced and is seeing these players a lot more than us. He won't be making wholesale changes just because it's a final.

Our middle third players of Moran, McGovern, Dolan and Flynn are going to define how this game goes.

If we are to be in with a shout we can't have Ryan O'Rourke and whoever is inside with him isolated they'll need support.

Hopefully there's a huge Leitrim crowd around Drumcondra and give the boys the support they deserve. The difference in how people are talking about football in Leitrim has changed since the team has gone on this run. Brilliant to see it. Leitrim ABU!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 138 - 27/03/2019 17:12:02    2175857

Link

Replying To tashy:  "I think this is a fantastic opportunity for you as a county to bridge the north south divide and ease tensions that may have been simmering over the years. I know this only too well as I live on the border (hence my strong interest in football there). I just hope that ye can pull together and maybe build bridges and all push forward together for the betterment of GAA in your county. The GAA needs the minnows and the poorer counties as much as it needs the richer ones."
Ok, Tashy. We hear you. Ease up with the patronising stuff.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 28/03/2019 10:22:59    2175975

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Shane Quinn should and could well take up the sweeper role this weekend. Was by far our best defender last year and he should tighten up the middle of our defence. Derry were missing 3 of their key forwards against us and we were missing a few defenders but we will have to play with a sweeper to contain them scoring. Mc Tague should start to try and stop the aerial threat posed by a big Derry inside forward line. Word us that he is fully fit.If Jack Heslin is fit he should start. We will need his pace on Saturday in particular to move the ball quickly up the pitch. Dean should be left around the middle third to try and cut out the supply from the Bradleys inside. This will leave acres of room for O Rourke and M Plunkett to Excel and bring the cup home.

My team for Saturday

1Mc Kiernan
2Maguire
3Mc Tague
4Mc Weeney
5Flynn
6Plunkett
7Mulvey
8Moran
9Dolan
10Quinn
11Flynn
12Heslin
13Plunkett
14Mc Govern
15O Rourke"
Shane Quinn is not near disciplined enough to carry out the role of sweeper. You need a sweeper that can read the game well and distribute, Quinn has played well but doesn't have the experience as a sweeper. Sean McWeeney's distribution has been top class and if he can get up to the pace early at the back, he can be crucial to our chances. To bring in McTague for the final is a huge risk in my opinion, considering his lack of game time, especially in a position as crucial as full back. It is less of a risk to start Jack Heslin though, a risk which should be taken in my opinion. I hope McGovern ups his workrate, as he did against London. If he plays like he did in other games, he could end up being a passenger we can't afford to have.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 28/03/2019 10:28:10    2175978

Link

Replying To TheCartownBus2:  "Ok, Tashy. We hear you. Ease up with the patronising stuff."
Did not mean to be patronising- i apologise. It was not so long ago since we were down there in the depths as well so we know what it is like. It is tough mixing with the bigger boys too- some day ye might join us at the top table- something I think we would all enjoy

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 28/03/2019 10:41:27    2175982

Link