Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Cuppa:  "I seen toome fought back last night to go through to the semi what's the pairing in junoir now also big games tomorrow in intermediate will thyholland hang in again"
Blackhill v Toome; Drumhowan v Clones/Eire Óg.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 67 - 15/09/2019 01:28:27    2235436

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Blackhill v Toome; Drumhowan v Clones/Eire Óg."
Two good semis

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 155 - 15/09/2019 19:58:35    2235761

Link

Fancy clones to beat Drumhowan just about. Blackhill be favourites against Toome there hitting form at the right time and have full team back on the other hand Toome are playin a few boys struggling with injuries and can't see anything but a blackhill win

CTC6 (Monaghan) - Posts: 8 - 15/09/2019 23:09:59    2235871

Link

I see in intermediate the second relegation spot is between Tyholland, Aughnamullen & possibly Emyvale?. After Aughnamullen winning over the weekend they can also finish level with Emyvale. If that were the case and Tyholland pick up a win in their last 2 games to finish above these 2 what is the criteria for relegation? Is it head to head, score difference or anything else?

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 299 - 16/09/2019 09:25:03    2235935

Link

Championship heating up now!
Was at all four senior championship games at the weekend. Very exciting battles yesterday in Clontibret.

Truagh showed pure grit and determination with their display. Harsh sending off in the first half left them with a huge battle and then to loss their corner back (marking Ces) in the first minute and two more key players later in the game. (hopefully all are ok and not too serious). Truagh had too many wides in the first half whereas Scotstown were scoring them. Penalties are a hard way to be beaten after that display. Also Truagh will be down a few key players for the remaining off the year.

The Faughs could of snatched it but missed frees and lack of composure in the dying minutes cost them. Latton were the better team. Young Mulligan had a great game 4 or 5 points from play off both feet. Also Conor Lynch kept MArtin McElroy very quiet. Two well matched teams and could of went either way.

Ballybay and Clontibret never really caught fire. Both teams down a player or two and were very cagey. Lennon and Boyle a big miss for both defences and then the loss of Vinnie Corey was a big changer to Clontibrets attack as he was winning alot of ball on Drew. Dessie Ward had a spell before half time where he scored 4 points in a row nearly. Were big scores at the time. Ballybay also missed two certain goals with clontibets keeper pulling off a massive save. Dessie Mone kept Jap scoreless from play (big part of beating ballybay) and McManus doesn't look his usual self. Draw would of been a fair result and let extra time decide but each team has another day and Clontibret in a strong position to make a final whereas the other side of the draw has 3 very strong teams. All to be played for.

Carrick were always going to be a few points better than Inniskeen. Inniskeen a decent side though things just didnt work. Carrick are not finished yet for the year they will run Ballybay close i feel. Has the potential to be a fast fast played game with lots of scores.

Fancy Clontibret-Latton and Scotstown-Ballybay Semi finals and Clontibret-Scotstown to make final.

Look forward to hearing others opinions on the senior championship with my own team out i am a neutral now and look forward to the remaining games.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 148 - 16/09/2019 13:44:31    2236086

Link

Didn't see the game but I heard the Clontibret midfield did well - 2 young, big lads. Any potential there for the county? Even if it was just getting them in the system now with a view down the line a year or two. God knows we need depth in that area and we've long lacked a bit of size in the middle.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 789 - 16/09/2019 16:23:41    2236195

Link

Replying To patk:  "Didn't see the game but I heard the Clontibret midfield did well - 2 young, big lads. Any potential there for the county? Even if it was just getting them in the system now with a view down the line a year or two. God knows we need depth in that area and we've long lacked a bit of size in the middle."
Definitely county potential there. Both serious athletes, very mobile but well fit to play ball too, as demonstrated on Saturday. Hughes ended the day with 0-3 from play and Lavelle hit a fantastic point also. Hughes is about 6'3 at the least and Lavelle is over 6', but well capable of winning ball. Two gems for Clontibret to find as I can't remember much talk of these lads on county minor / u21 teams.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 63 - 16/09/2019 18:20:44    2236269

Link

Replying To patk:  "Didn't see the game but I heard the Clontibret midfield did well - 2 young, big lads. Any potential there for the county? Even if it was just getting them in the system now with a view down the line a year or two. God knows we need depth in that area and we've long lacked a bit of size in the middle."
Yes Clontibret midfield of Hughes and Lavelle give ballybay clueless with their kickouts. Both players are still unde 23 id say. Be interesting to see will Banty show any interest.

Speaking of midfield I thought Truaghs midfield managed Caulfield and Turley very well for the players that they are.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 148 - 16/09/2019 18:35:36    2236275

Link

I absolutely hate these penalty shoot outs. Speaking as an ex keeper I'm not going to point the finger at any net minder but the rule about staying on your line was constantly broken in the Clontibret v Carrick and Scotstown v Truagh games. Why are we copying soccer. A free taking competition from the ground takes out any gamesmanship. It's also way more dramatic waiting for a ball to drop over the bar. And it's a skill in Gaelic Football not just a lottery. Fair play to the county board for thinking of something to finish a game on the day but they chose the wrong thing.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 350 - 17/09/2019 07:28:52    2236456

Link

Monaghan were dumped out of the championship in early June
Common sense, have a replays; club players deserve better

222 (UK) - Posts: 503 - 17/09/2019 09:13:20    2236487

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I absolutely hate these penalty shoot outs. Speaking as an ex keeper I'm not going to point the finger at any net minder but the rule about staying on your line was constantly broken in the Clontibret v Carrick and Scotstown v Truagh games. Why are we copying soccer. A free taking competition from the ground takes out any gamesmanship. It's also way more dramatic waiting for a ball to drop over the bar. And it's a skill in Gaelic Football not just a lottery. Fair play to the county board for thinking of something to finish a game on the day but they chose the wrong thing."
was it county board decision? i think its a national thing this year?...definitely not a fair way to end a game albeit somewhat exciting for spectators. not fair on lads who work hard all year

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 17/09/2019 09:35:28    2236500

Link

Have not made any of these matches so far. Any stand outs for contention on the county panel ? Have heard reports McManus gone off the boil which is obviously worrying.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1388 - 17/09/2019 10:23:51    2236521

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Have not made any of these matches so far. Any stand outs for contention on the county panel ? Have heard reports McManus gone off the boil which is obviously worrying."
Definitely a few stand out players in the Senior championship. I have spotted a few from nearly every team.

Scotstown: Jamie Carey, Ryan O'Toole, Turley
Ballybay: Colm Lennon, Shane McGuinness
Clontibret: Two midfielders, O'Dowd
Blayney: Mark Treanor
Latton: Mulligan
Carrick: McMenamin
Truagh: Christopher McKenna
Inniskeen: Aidan Woods

Am sure someone watching intermediate and junior can shed some light on them games and who stands out.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 148 - 17/09/2019 16:32:38    2236699

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I absolutely hate these penalty shoot outs. Speaking as an ex keeper I'm not going to point the finger at any net minder but the rule about staying on your line was constantly broken in the Clontibret v Carrick and Scotstown v Truagh games. Why are we copying soccer. A free taking competition from the ground takes out any gamesmanship. It's also way more dramatic waiting for a ball to drop over the bar. And it's a skill in Gaelic Football not just a lottery. Fair play to the county board for thinking of something to finish a game on the day but they chose the wrong thing."
100% agree. Unfair way to win a game. Truagh and Scotstown was a great game. It had everything and then for Truagh to be beat the way they were wasn't good. Obviously with another day out they can get up and go again but imagine this was a knock out game. The goal keeper would come in for a lot of slack then and unfairly so as penalties are a hard thing to stop especially with the calibre of players Scotstown had lined up take them.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 148 - 17/09/2019 16:36:18    2236701

Link

Replying To 222:  "Monaghan were dumped out of the championship in early June
Common sense, have a replays; club players deserve better"
so your saying that the holiday they may have had planned and booked and paid for should have been all canceled because monaghan were knocked out? The club player in monaghan get a much better deal than most counties. i dont agree with the penos but to change all the fixtures as you suggest would be very disrespectful to the club players.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 137 - 17/09/2019 17:58:19    2236734

Link

Championship Weekend
Intermediate
Emyvale v Aughnamullen
Fancy Emyvale after there colaspe agaisnt Donaghmoyne, Augnamullen a good work man like team need a big game from 2 or 3 of there forwards to beat Emyvale as emyvale will hit at least 20 scores ...David McAllister Star man he is an entertaining watch

Harps V Corduff
Banty Country versus the Harps....Fancy the harps to just do enough but if Corduff put it up to them will the Harps have the bottle

Junio Semis
Clones V Drumhown
Clones will have more then enough for Drumhowan not impressed by them at all ...Clones if click are to good for Junior but its making them Click

Toome v Blackhill
Blackhill by 6
i like Blackhill good side toome have a bit of heart so will make a game of it

fonzy (Monaghan) - Posts: 62 - 19/09/2019 15:52:51    2237598

Link