Dublin Forum

The Drive For Five!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "Is it me or is there an awful lot of Kerry men in the media this week talking up the difficulties of handling the pressure of a five in a row, dealing with the hype and making history. I count Starbar, O Mahoney, Keane himself and Liam Kearns.

I thought they were supposed to be cute that direction.

The green and yellow eyed monster is rattled."
The Culchie Hype Machine is in full swing at the moment and expect to see it ramp up to hitherto unseen levels later this summer.

It's funny really as Dublin, despite all the media razzmatazz that can follow the footballers, is by far the easiest county in the country for its footballers to keep their heads down in.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12358 - 03/05/2019 12:32:01    2181633

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "The Culchie Hype Machine is in full swing at the moment and expect to see it ramp up to hitherto unseen levels later this summer.

It's funny really as Dublin, despite all the media razzmatazz that can follow the footballers, is by far the easiest county in the country for its footballers to keep their heads down in."
Is anyone noticing and feeling any hype around the 5 in a row. If im honest im not.

The only time i ever really experienced palatable hype was in 2002, the expectation and hype around the City that year was huge.

Dont get me wrong im enjoying and will enjoy the whole going for the five in a row thing, but its like getting that free bar of chocolate with an Easter egg. Its bonus territory.

To be honest for me, its all about the people and community, the great days milling around Croker with the craic 90, and enjoying this exceptional team but not just this one, all Dublin teams from the underage up to the women.

Regardless if we win this year or not, it wont make a difference to what i feel about this team or their achievements. I couldn't be prouder. Its only a bit a craic and a mental construct the whole five thing, ill love it if we do it though dont get me wrong, but its not the be all and end all.

I dont see the pressure either, i felt pressure to be honest around the back to back, but since then none bar wanting to win the all ireland every year. Dont get me wrong i get would up at games wanting to win. But this team could do nothing to make me feel disappointed at this stage.

The way i see, there is zero pressure around winning five, we've done the hard part and won four, the only thing we have to try and do as we do every year is win the All Irealnd this year, that pressure is hardly alien to us. like i say the hard part is done.

At the moment ive this nice feeling of looking forward to the season with a bit of added excitement and bonus with the five at play, but all i really want to do like most years is win the all Ireland.

Im pretty relaxed about it as the crow flies, i dont hear or see much talk of it amongst anyone here, all the voices are outside county and sure thats all oul Healy Rae type transparent guff.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2191 - 03/05/2019 17:27:28    2181715

Link

Probably won't happen but I think the fans should pack out every game to really push this, it could be a monumental year.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7335 - 04/05/2019 00:44:01    2181767

Link

Apparently this will be the team in the match day programmee today hasnt been named offically yet:

CLuxton
Davy Bryne
Fitzer
Jack
Jamesy
Cian
Small
Fenton
Gavin
Costello
Howard
Scully
Mannion
Kilkenny
Con

Subs: Sheils, Bulger,Daly, MDM, McDaid, McHugh, Philly, Macker, Roc, O Gara, Small.

No Deano, No Bernard, No Comerford, No Lowdness, No Murch, No Andrews. we must stillbe carrying a few injuries.

Looks like Basquel is off the panel.

No Dermo.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2191 - 25/05/2019 09:24:58    2187239

Link