Mayo Forum

Club hurling in mayo

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi, I was on the mayo website and it looks like there are now only 4 adult hurling clubs in Mayo.
Can anyone inform me if this is accurate and if so what do they do for fixtures? How many games can a club Hurler expect to play in a season and in what competitions?
Thks

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 06/12/2017 13:01:27    2064538

Link

you say there are 4 clubs but the same two contest the final every single year.
I wouldn't say its very competitive

Hunter077 (Roscommon) - 06/12/2017 20:32:54    2064574

Link

Replying To Hunter077:  "you say there are 4 clubs but the same two contest the final every single year.
I wouldn't say its very competitive"
Well, to be fair this year, Castlebar were edged out by Ballyhaunis by a single point in what was the de facto semi-final, and they also finished top of the grouping in the senior league.

But yes, there seems to be a very small number of games for hurlers in Mayo, and the number of teams seems also to be shrinking. It wasn't all that long ago that Ballina and Belmullet won hurling titles, for instance, and now both of them are gone.

Best of luck to Tooreen against Ballyragget in the All-Ireland Intermediate semi-final post-Christmas. I'm sure the celebrations will be epic either way ;)

Gleebo (Mayo) - 07/12/2017 12:40:32    2064606

Link

Clubs also have the option to enter the Tain League which is run late Winter/Early Summer and is open to all Connacht club teams with the exception of Galway senior clubs.
The Mayo Senior League has a rule where clubs aren't allowed to play their county players. Games in the county themselves are at a premium with only 4 senior clubs at the moment. A home and away option in the senior championship would promote more games but options are severely limited with so few clubs.

statto25 (Mayo) - 08/12/2017 13:52:11    2064669

Link

its a pity these guys have to train all year for a competition that could be run off in one month.
It usually ends up eating into the football calendar too which im sure is very frustrating for the likes of Ballyhaunis where they would be much better off focusing on football.

Hunter077 (Roscommon) - 08/12/2017 23:59:07    2064718

Link