Donegal Forum

New Tier 2 sponsor

(Oldest Posts First)

Fall out from appointment u 20 manager,MCR withdrawing sponsorship.Abbey Hotel quickly into fill the vacancy.

neutral (None) - 28/11/2017 15:06:33    2063902

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Fall out from appointment u 20 manager,MCR withdrawing sponsorship.Abbey Hotel quickly into fill the vacancy."
Fall out about what. I thought Mc daid was a popular appointment. Donegal gaa is a popular brand so getting sponsorship is not a problem.

rorysboys (Donegal) - 28/11/2017 20:45:38    2063933

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Fall out from appointment u 20 manager,MCR withdrawing sponsorship.Abbey Hotel quickly into fill the vacancy."
Is this something to do with MCR being based in Milford and SP Barrett being from there as well? Surely this decision about sponsors would have been taken months back and before the appointment of the u-20 manager.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - 30/11/2017 11:00:33    2064094

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Is this something to do with MCR being based in Milford and SP Barrett being from there as well? Surely this decision about sponsors would have been taken months back and before the appointment of the u-20 manager."
Good to see the county board moving away from political appointments. MCR did 3 years I think. Maybe der motives was to get Barrett in as manager. Glad we moving away from this and the right appointment was made at u20 level.

ryan (Donegal) - 30/11/2017 12:22:02    2064108

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Good to see the county board moving away from political appointments. MCR did 3 years I think. Maybe der motives was to get Barrett in as manager. Glad we moving away from this and the right appointment was made at u20 level."
no great credit to the sponsor if they withdrew it because of the appointment of u20 manager

culmore (None) - 30/11/2017 16:25:25    2064136

Link

I would be more worried that Gary McDaid is the wrong man for the job anyway.
He's been an excellent Coach and Trainer, but Manager is a completely different concept. Having seen him on the side-line, I'm worried his (and his backroom teams) approach and attitude will drag Donegal into the gutter.
Paddy Carr would have been the ideal man for the job.

donegal_insider (Donegal) - 30/11/2017 16:54:21    2064142

Link

Posted yesterday but wasn't approved for some reason but Sean barrett is one of the most successful underage managers the county has had. Only three managers

Mc Daid was on radio last night and was quoted as saying, 'I've been in contact with declan bonner over the past number of weeks and months discussing squads,' this despite the fact that interviews were only recently. This proves the fact that this was a set up from day one. Moving away from political appointments? Don't make me laugh

He's the first minor manager to win an ulster championship that didn't get to take on the next grade. I thought this type of crap died in the mc Guinness years but we're back to same carry on. This will come back to haunt county board.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - 30/11/2017 22:03:40    2064175

Link

Replying To ballboy101:  "Posted yesterday but wasn't approved for some reason but Sean barrett is one of the most successful underage managers the county has had. Only three managers

Mc Daid was on radio last night and was quoted as saying, 'I've been in contact with declan bonner over the past number of weeks and months discussing squads,' this despite the fact that interviews were only recently. This proves the fact that this was a set up from day one. Moving away from political appointments? Don't make me laugh

He's the first minor manager to win an ulster championship that didn't get to take on the next grade. I thought this type of crap died in the mc Guinness years but we're back to same carry on. This will come back to haunt county board."
SJP has every right to feel aggrieved but he did not cover himself in glory last year did he? One of the most frustrating elements of last year was the lack of communication between management teams. The U-21 squad were not given the best opportunity possible on account of a torturous match schedule. Senior management played players in where rest would have been much more beneficial. Then the U-17 management were shown absolutely no respect for the tireless work they put in by being denied their best players for their championship game against Tyrone which was wrong. The county needs management teams who work in unison for the better of all teams not just for themselves which did not happen last year.

panamasam (Australia) - 02/12/2017 11:32:16    2064262

Link

Last year's minor team were not as good as many people believed. He still is one of only three managers to win an ulster minor championship title

His gripe is not that he didn't get the job it's the fact that he was never given an opportunity as the job was gone before the interview took place. Mc Daid admitted as much on the radio on Wednesday night when he said he'd been in discussions with bonner for past number of months. There is also a big issue over the part Brian roper played in mc daid appointment given that Ulster coaches cannot act as county management team. He was cited as a big reason that mc daid got the job

County board will regret this type of behaviour in the future. They lost a very strong sponsor over this and that will hit everyone as money will be down.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - 02/12/2017 17:38:45    2064278

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "SJP has every right to feel aggrieved but he did not cover himself in glory last year did he? One of the most frustrating elements of last year was the lack of communication between management teams. The U-21 squad were not given the best opportunity possible on account of a torturous match schedule. Senior management played players in where rest would have been much more beneficial. Then the U-17 management were shown absolutely no respect for the tireless work they put in by being denied their best players for their championship game against Tyrone which was wrong. The county needs management teams who work in unison for the better of all teams not just for themselves which did not happen last year."
This lack of communication started with mc Guinness and maxi and Rory. Then it was Rory and bonner. Then s p and francie.

But I disagree with people who argue that the best u 17 players should have been released the week before the minor game. The u17 competition was a made up one for players who are missing it next year. Minor was obviously going to take precedence and if I was manager I would want my best players rested week out of championship.

Same applies this year, if a player is in contention for senior, I don't care what age they are the senior grade is more important. Wayne Rooney didn't line out for Everton u 17 s when he was playing in first team. First team will always be more important.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - 02/12/2017 17:44:53    2064279

Link

Replying To ballboy101:  "Last year's minor team were not as good as many people believed. He still is one of only three managers to win an ulster minor championship title

His gripe is not that he didn't get the job it's the fact that he was never given an opportunity as the job was gone before the interview took place. Mc Daid admitted as much on the radio on Wednesday night when he said he'd been in discussions with bonner for past number of months. There is also a big issue over the part Brian roper played in mc daid appointment given that Ulster coaches cannot act as county management team. He was cited as a big reason that mc daid got the job

County board will regret this type of behaviour in the future. They lost a very strong sponsor over this and that will hit everyone as money will be down."
So what I'm reading here is that sponsors pulled out because there man didn't get the job. Bit petty I think. Sean pol done a good job with the minors he seemed well respected but if another candidate goes up against him then it's up to the selection committee to select who they think is the best man for the job. They selected Mc daid so we shud all get behind him. He has a good record at managerial level so hopefully it will work out well. As for Barrett I've no doubt his time will come again.

rorysboys (Donegal) - 03/12/2017 13:32:47    2064308

Link

No it wasn't that he didn't get the job it was the fact that the decision was made before the interviews even took place as evidenced by mc daid statement regarding his discussions with bonner over past number of months

Why would you want your company associated with this type of behavior? This is the kinda crap mc Guinness tried to get rid off and now we're back at it. County board have a lot of questions to answer in relation to the discrepancies between interview criteria and feedback given to management teams. Dunnion looked like a man under pressure trying his best to back track at recent county board meeting. No transparency and back to the bad old times.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - 03/12/2017 17:35:46    2064332

Link

Barrett wouldn't be best known for his man-management with players, both at Milford and with development squad players over the last 4/5 years.

ryan (Donegal) - 03/12/2017 23:33:36    2064352

Link

Replying To ballboy101:  "No it wasn't that he didn't get the job it was the fact that the decision was made before the interviews even took place as evidenced by mc daid statement regarding his discussions with bonner over past number of months

Why would you want your company associated with this type of behavior? This is the kinda crap mc Guinness tried to get rid off and now we're back at it. County board have a lot of questions to answer in relation to the discrepancies between interview criteria and feedback given to management teams. Dunnion looked like a man under pressure trying his best to back track at recent county board meeting. No transparency and back to the bad old times."
SP had time to talk with bonner, just like McDaid, before the interviews to discuss his plans, why didn't he?
Donal Barrett from MCR was to part of SP's U20 management team as the logistics manager. Obviously just a coincidence that MCR withdrew their sponsorship then.

Glenman (Donegal) - 06/12/2017 11:14:08    2064529

Link