Fermanagh Forum

National Football League 2019 - Division 2

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "We came flying out of the blocks. We could have and should have scored more especially with the strong wind in our favour. We dominated in midfeild and were winning every breaking ball. When Meath did attack us they could not break us down.

I am not going to cry about the amount of wides we hit cause at least they were creating chances and having a go, but there decision making of where they where shooting from where from far out and awkward angles.

Meath evenually woke up and game changed in particular in the second half when they had had the strong wind with them. Their kick outs bypassed or midfield and left our defence exposed. With their long tactic they also bypassed or sweeper Lyons/McManhon. Meath created numerous goal chances and should have won by more, they went easy on us by opting for a point on a few ocassions rather going for goal.

Due to our style of play we don't create many goal chances, so if we go behind in a game by more than 2 points we don't look like we are getting back into the game. The blanket defence is ulgy to watch but it is effective. I have a slight concern with our style of play that long term our players might burn themselves out, because they have to be fit to round up and down that pitch a lot and they have to break a lot of tackles therefore I think they will pick up lots of injuries. So when they get to around the age of 27/28 they look done. Which for a small county it is hard to compete at a high level on a consistent basis if our players our burntout by that stage.

I wonder what the players themselves think about our style of play. There is a question that appears regularly in the match day programs asked to the players what the best game they have ever played in, I don't think to many of players could pick to many of note under Rory. As a fan it is hard to watch and it kills the atmosphere in the crowd. This might discourage children from playing the game if they don't see any excitment watching it. Two of the best games I have witnessed was againist Dublin and Roscommon. If anyone watched the MacRory Cup final lately it was far more enjoyable to watch than both the Armagh and Meath games.

I think that our style has to change in the future and we have to be more adventurous. I don't think we will win a ulster until we do, Tyrone are trying to evole their style at minute. After all football is suppose to be enteraining and scores win matches. I think we need to get rid of our samll county complex and go out and have a go againist teams. Lets go toe to toe with other teams and see what happens leave more players in the forward line and play quick ball or more route one football into them. It would be more interesting to watch and we might surpise ourselves. I would like to see more of Garvan Jones, Mcgurn, Connor McGee and hopefully next year we might see some of the MacRory players coming through like B Horan, M Glynn, D MacBrien and T Keenan.

God I love a good rant.

For all my complaing well done to the players and backroom team the league has been very successful and hopefully the same next year but we have turn our attentions to Donegal and a good run in the championship. Bring them on Come on Fermanagh."
i'll summarise your rant:
lets try harder; lets try new people; lets focus on scoring and defending...genius
And to think Gallagher hasnt recruited you to his backup team yet is staggering
Lets ask what the players want to do.. That last suggestion will kill any team stone dead. The team needs one leader on voice one direction and thats the managers, if there isnt buy in to THEE plan then there is chaos.
I dont think we did too badly against Donegal already. I think we reached the pinnacle of what we can be several times this season. We dipped considerably against Armagh and Meath, but I wouldnt do anything too hasty just yet
A few very minor tweaks is all we need. Decision making and killer instinct infront of goals is still lacking. I disagree that we didnt create goal chances this year. We created plenty but took very few of them and that IS a worry
anyway for me the glass is 3/4 full and not a 1/4 empty as you seem to focus on

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 159 - 26/03/2019 11:12:15    2175500

Link

"i'll summarise your rant:
lets try harder; lets try new people; lets focus on scoring and defending...genius"

Where did I say lets try harder, if anything i said they have worked their socks off when i was talking about a fear of them burning themselves out.

Trying to blood new pleople could only enchance quality of the squad. The McKenna cup and the league is the best place to give these players a run out to see if they are ready for the championship. If they are good enough they are old enough.

The part of Lets foucus on scoreing fait point. Our defending is one of the strongest areas of our game, I would not change that. Yes we had a bad day against Armagh and Meath but mostly we are sound in that department.

"Lets ask what the players want to do.. That last suggestion will kill any team stone dead. The team needs one leader on voice one direction and thats the managers, if there isnt buy in to THEE plan then there is

Once again I did not say do what the players want, I just asked what the players think of the style of our play. I agree the team need to carryout the managers gameplan.

"anyway for me the glass is 3/4 full and not a 1/4 empty as you seem to focus on"
I am very hopefull and no matter how the championship goes we have had a good year. It would not surpise me if we managed to get to the super 8s this year or just fell short of it depending on how the draws go.

Thanks I love being called genius.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 44 - 26/03/2019 13:01:26    2175536

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Right Macca, many would see you as a bit too generous to the team and their management in your comments...you would make a good spin-doctor!
Looking realistically, Fermanagh had the game for the taking but blew it with heir awful ball finishing. Serious thinking as to how to deal with the obvious weakness in the forward line delivering results will be the biggest challenge facing Rory and Ricey in preparation for the championship....but can they succeed? My feeling that replacements for Seamie Quigley and Tomas Corrigan haven't lived up to expectations and looking how many wides Conal Jones created goes some way to prove my point. I observe comments by Kesh GFC where she/he is suggesting that Tomas Corrigan if he became available is not wanted by the team/management which is a crazy situation and beggars belief given that Fermanagh has limited a talent resource being one of the smallest counties in the country in terms of GAA member numbers.
Assessing the NFL campaign from a football skill perspective, Fermanagh has not been consistent and for by sporadic bouts of great play I have to say that luck play the most significant part of the team's success with in some cases scraping through by the thinnest of margins. I'm glad that Fermanagh has not been promoted as they are neither ready or capable of staying up if the situation had been realised.
Finally, my top players choice from the NFL would be Ultan Kelm and Ciaran Corrigan and the rest of the bunch have fallen short of expectations and they would probably acknowledge themselves."
Wouldn't Eoin McManus be an obvious choice of forward? There can't be many counties where the highest scoring forward in senior club championship football isn't included in the county set-up.

inallfairness (Fermanagh) - Posts: 24 - 28/03/2019 11:30:41    2175990

Link

Replying To inallfairness:  "Wouldn't Eoin McManus be an obvious choice of forward? There can't be many counties where the highest scoring forward in senior club championship football isn't included in the county set-up."
There is a big difference between a good club forward and being a good county forward. Indeed there are many good club footballers but only a few will make the grade for fielding in the county team although they may be reserved on the county substitute list. As macca would say with "many are called but few are chosen".

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 740 - 28/03/2019 13:38:20    2176015

Link

Replying To gaalltheway:  "There is a big difference between a good club forward and being a good county forward. Indeed there are many good club footballers but only a few will make the grade for fielding in the county team although they may be reserved on the county substitute list. As macca would say with "many are called but few are chosen"."
Match statistics/results show that our current county forwards are not very good. So in the absence of any reasonable options within the squad we surely have to look again at players who are with their clubs. I think your comment that Eoin is a 'good club forward' are way off the mark. Statistics show he is the best club forward in Fermanagh.
That aside, do you believe that our current forwards will deliver in the championship?

inallfairness (Fermanagh) - Posts: 24 - 05/04/2019 10:00:16    2177785

Link