Dublin Forum

NHL Dublin v Waterford

(Oldest Posts First)

The Dubs are back in Croker Saturday evening [5PM] in the third round of the NHL, where Waterford provide the opposition. Tipperary came here and gave us a lesson in hurling three weeks ago in the first round, but the away win against Cork will hopefully boost confidence.
The two points on offer would ease a lot of our relegation worries and would give us a fair shot at a quarter final spot.

clonjon (Dublin) - Posts: 664 - 01/03/2017 15:09:56    1962505

Link

Don't really know what to expect on Saturday. I went down to Cork more in hope than anything else. Actually it was very little hope to be honest, the only reason I went is that I happened to be in Cork for the weekend in anyways. Dublin played well but Cork were woeful, as Cork can be these days. They're quite a similar team to us in many ways.

All I want from Saturday is a performance. Just to be competitive for most of the match. Waterford are a good side and are a step up from Cork so we'll need to be twice as good as we were in Páirc Uí Rinn to be competitive against the Déise imo.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12226 - 02/03/2017 09:48:46    1962715

Link

Play McMorrow on the sweeper and let the sweeper sweep and let McMorrow McMorrow

No need to change the 15 from the last day

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 02/03/2017 13:21:32    1962787

Link

Waterford will be a different prospect to Cork. I'd be a lot more confident about this game if it was in Parnell Pk.

Mickmick (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 02/03/2017 14:41:30    1962829

Link

Hoping for a win but I'd have a better chance of predicting Donald trumps next move than predicting a Dublin hurling result , just hope that performance and intensity levels are up there with the Cork performance , right now I'd take a draw , up the Dubs

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5174 - 02/03/2017 21:35:25    1962975

Link

Replying To clonjon:  "The Dubs are back in Croker Saturday evening [5PM
in the third round of the NHL, where Waterford provide the opposition. Tipperary came here and gave us a lesson in hurling three weeks ago in the first round, but the away win against Cork will hopefully boost confidence.
The two points on offer would ease a lot of our relegation worries and would give us a fair shot at a quarter final spot."]I am looking forward to this.

But I am worried that Croke Park might not suit the Dublin hurlers.

Personally, I think it is madness to play Dublin hurling matches in Croke Park, especially as there are a load of new young lads.

In saying that though it is a difficult game to call.

A Dublin win would do lovely, even a draw would be nice. I would even enjoy a good performance but a loss, because it would be showing things are going in the right direction.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 959 - 02/03/2017 21:58:22    1962986

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "
Replying To clonjon:  "The Dubs are back in Croker Saturday evening [5PM
in the third round of the NHL, where Waterford provide the opposition. Tipperary came here and gave us a lesson in hurling three weeks ago in the first round, but the away win against Cork will hopefully boost confidence.
The two points on offer would ease a lot of our relegation worries and would give us a fair shot at a quarter final spot."
I am looking forward to this.

But I am worried that Croke Park might not suit the Dublin hurlers.

Personally, I think it is madness to play Dublin hurling matches in Croke Park, especially as there are a load of new young lads.

In saying that though it is a difficult game to call.

A Dublin win would do lovely, even a draw would be nice. I would even enjoy a good performance but a loss, because it would be showing things are going in the right direction."]If you can't play in croke park in February or March you won't get anywhere near playing there in August and September

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 02/03/2017 23:00:25    1963017

Link

Dublin going with the same team that started against cork. Hope Trollier, who was quiet enough last time out due to injury, has regained a bit more fitness as his experience will be invaluable tonight.

clonjon (Dublin) - Posts: 664 - 04/03/2017 13:23:13    1963481

Link

Happy with that performance. Who knows only for Dooley gifting Waterford 2 goals dublin might have won the game. O'Donnell and Dillon were two who stood out for Dublin.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 959 - 04/03/2017 22:06:40    1963658

Link

Good performance by the lads.
2 soft goals conceded but overall much better than many predicted at this stage of their Development.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2581 - 05/03/2017 00:15:52    1963703

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Good performance by the lads.
2 soft goals conceded but overall much better than many predicted at this stage of their Development."
Felt at times Waterford were only in 2nd gear. Giving away two soft goals didn't help matters. Be interesting to see how we fare once the Cuala boys are back in the panel. Think we may go down a division, but you never know. Sometimes I think the hurlers would be better playing in Parnell Park, as the small crowd who comes for the hurling games in the double-headers must be disheartening.

PatdeVerse (Dublin) - Posts: 93 - 05/03/2017 12:28:34    1963791

Link

from reading yer posts id imagine ye are happy enough, obviously not with the result but the fact the dubs put in a decent performance, the first half in particular.

its true we were gifted 2 soft goals, donal burke missed 3 or 4 relatively handy frees for ye too...we had stephen daniels sent off, albeit very late in the game, this game could have went eitherway just as easy.

im happy enough anyway as we got a good test against a good team missing the cuala players too.

i picked chris crummey as the player that impressed me the most from dublin...got a huge score in first half.

clare away + kilkenny home wont be an easy finish for the dubs...i think that 1b might be on the cards next season.

regarding playing in croker, ya it may have been a different game in parnell but the waterford lads will hopefully benefit from that later on in the year.

finally it must be said the crowd for the hurling was exceptionally poor...thought more waterford people would travel and certainly thought more dubs would go seeing it was a double header.

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 05/03/2017 14:37:19    1963813

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "from reading yer posts id imagine ye are happy enough, obviously not with the result but the fact the dubs put in a decent performance, the first half in particular.

its true we were gifted 2 soft goals, donal burke missed 3 or 4 relatively handy frees for ye too...we had stephen daniels sent off, albeit very late in the game, this game could have went eitherway just as easy.

im happy enough anyway as we got a good test against a good team missing the cuala players too.

i picked chris crummey as the player that impressed me the most from dublin...got a huge score in first half.

clare away + kilkenny home wont be an easy finish for the dubs...i think that 1b might be on the cards next season.

regarding playing in croker, ya it may have been a different game in parnell but the waterford lads will hopefully benefit from that later on in the year.

finally it must be said the crowd for the hurling was exceptionally poor...thought more waterford people would travel and certainly thought more dubs would go seeing it was a double header."
I think most Dubs would be happy enough the way the team is now playing. I thought Waterford would steamroll them physically but that didn't happen as Croker is nice and wide. The win for us over Cork will probably prove vital in staying up. But we coped well with your game and yes Crummy is pleasing to the eye as are a few of the young lads. Double headers are a great idea but hurling suffers with poor turn outs especially this time of year three and half/four hours in cold stadium is a tough ask. The ticket prices were very good so that is not the problem, traditionally Dublin hurling has a very hardcore support but it is a pale shadow of football support.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 3896 - 05/03/2017 20:28:56    1964158

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "from reading yer posts id imagine ye are happy enough, obviously not with the result but the fact the dubs put in a decent performance, the first half in particular.

finally it must be said the crowd for the hurling was exceptionally poor...thought more waterford people would travel and certainly thought more dubs would go seeing it was a double header."
Happy enough with the performance alright but relegation still the most likely scenario imo. Crummy is as good as it gets in the country in my opinion. Big, strong and well able to hurl. Plays on the edge a wee bit so needs to be careful.

You can't give a team as good as the Déise two soft goals and expect to win the match.

Not quite as pessimistic now as we were a few weeks back after the Tipp match. Two big performances now needed against the Cats and the Bannermen. I'll be happy enough if we get the performances regardless of the results to be honest.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12226 - 06/03/2017 08:09:38    1964321

Link

Disappointing result after a decent performance, especially in the first half. Thought Waterford got on top about ten min before half time and were the better team in the second half. As a previous poster wrote,you cant give away soft goals like we did, although we were very unlucky with the first one coming back off the post.

clonjon (Dublin) - Posts: 664 - 06/03/2017 14:33:45    1964605

Link