Dublin Forum

Dublin Hurling - the Ger Cunningham problem

(Oldest Posts First)

Part of me hopes that Dublin get good wallopings in the league fairly quick.

Just in the hope that it will hasten Cunningham's departure so that a sinking ship can be rebuilt.

It is very likely to happen that Dublin will get relegated anyway considering the Cuala lads won't be playing in the league.

It might be a wrong way of looking at things, but I think a rot will set in otherwise.

What is the point in waiting for him to resign at the end of this year or next year when more damage is done?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 30/01/2017 17:15:26    1950204

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Part of me hopes that Dublin get good wallopings in the league fairly quick.

Just in the hope that it will hasten Cunningham's departure so that a sinking ship can be rebuilt.

It is very likely to happen that Dublin will get relegated anyway considering the Cuala lads won't be playing in the league.

It might be a wrong way of looking at things, but I think a rot will set in otherwise.

What is the point in waiting for him to resign at the end of this year or next year when more damage is done?"
gormdubhgorm i dont think Dublin getting hammered in the League, and as a consequence probably getting relegated, will do anything for Dublin hurling. Do any of us know for sure the situation inside the camp, or the state of morale in the panel, but we will have a good idea after the opening League encounter against Tipperary in Croker on february 11. My hope is that we at least survive in the top division and anything after that will be a bonus. As far as i know Ger is in the last year of his contract and in my opinion if the Dub's dont reach at least the quarter final's of the All Ireland Championship then that's it for Ger.

clonjon (Dublin) - Posts: 665 - 31/01/2017 13:35:40    1950549

Link

Replying To clonjon:  "gormdubhgorm i dont think Dublin getting hammered in the League, and as a consequence probably getting relegated, will do anything for Dublin hurling. Do any of us know for sure the situation inside the camp, or the state of morale in the panel, but we will have a good idea after the opening League encounter against Tipperary in Croker on february 11. My hope is that we at least survive in the top division and anything after that will be a bonus. As far as i know Ger is in the last year of his contract and in my opinion if the Dub's dont reach at least the quarter final's of the All Ireland Championship then that's it for Ger."
My fella was training up in DCU , on before them the senior team they seemed in good spirits to me ??? I hear the same rumours as everyone else , truth is I haven't a clue what's going on , could never wish for a Dublin defeat .
How they apply themselves will tell us a lot this season more so than results .On Cunnignham seems to be a tough taskmaster he's had a time to finally put his own imprint on the squad , watch this space

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5182 - 31/01/2017 15:12:59    1950588

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "My fella was training up in DCU , on before them the senior team they seemed in good spirits to me ??? I hear the same rumours as everyone else , truth is I haven't a clue what's going on , could never wish for a Dublin defeat .
How they apply themselves will tell us a lot this season more so than results .On Cunnignham seems to be a tough taskmaster he's had a time to finally put his own imprint on the squad , watch this space"
I hope you are right!

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 31/01/2017 22:08:33    1950725

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I hope you are right!"
Cunningham is in hist last year and I don't think he'll be asked to stay on whatever happens this year. Getting relegated to 1B would be disastrous and it'll do no harm for the current young lads to get some experience at the sharp end of things.

Mickmick (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 01/02/2017 09:50:59    1950792

Link

I firmly believe there is the semblance of a decent team there.

The Championship performances however have been abysmal to say the least.

The League is relatively important but the Championship is what matter this summer. Relegation to 1B would not be a disaster in my opinion.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12581 - 01/02/2017 10:23:05    1950806

Link

Just my opinion but I can't believe players are walking away from the Dublin jersey cause they don't like the manager, do they realise it's a short career and how big a chance there turning down? For me that Dublin jersey is the bigger than anything else in Irish sport and you should never walk away from it unless your not wanted.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9866 - 01/02/2017 11:17:51    1950824

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Just my opinion but I can't believe players are walking away from the Dublin jersey cause they don't like the manager, do they realise it's a short career and how big a chance there turning down? For me that Dublin jersey is the bigger than anything else in Irish sport and you should never walk away from it unless your not wanted."
That's all well and good but we don't know what was going on between management and them players and selectors that walked away, sometimes there is situations that you just can't continue with.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 01/02/2017 12:26:06    1950848

Link

At the moment I would be worried about survival in top tier.Hard to see us surviving especially with Culla lads out.Honestly don't know much about Cunningham and what brought about the lads who left the panel but it sure seems odd to have so many go in short space of time.The other side of this coin is that if we do have a half decent season it will have brought along some serious competition for places for whoever comes in after Cunningham.
Here's hoping.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2010 - 01/02/2017 19:56:44    1951032

Link

I think this thread spurred the lads on the management on!

I take complete credit for that cork performance... :D

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 18/02/2017 22:42:19    1958084

Link

That was a very pleasant surprise!! Amazing long range shooting which was very impressive they played with little fear and certainly did not look or play like a team under pressure. Nice to see young players coming through.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4137 - 19/02/2017 11:39:00    1958175

Link

I did not see that coming. Very happy man walking out of Páirc Uí Rinn last night.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12581 - 19/02/2017 18:59:29    1958343

Link

Excellent result - did not see that coming at all

Hopefully we can get a other win and keep us safe.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2581 - 20/02/2017 00:31:19    1958477

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Excellent result - did not see that coming at all

Hopefully we can get a other win and keep us safe."
Was amazed by that result in Cork Saturday night. When we went 4 points to one down early on it looked like it was going to script, the only good thing being at that stage was the Dubs were getting in around the goal. When the goal came it changed everything, gave belief to the team and they really pushed on with a nice string of scores. well done the Dubs

clonjon (Dublin) - Posts: 665 - 20/02/2017 12:34:16    1958637

Link

Not sure what to think of current state of Dublin hurling. After the tipp game it looked like we wouldn't win a match all year. Even though Dublin were trailing cork at the start I was encouraged by what I saw. Dublin were horsing into them. The goal gave them the confidence to push on. It's also obvious you can't read too much into these early games.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 310 - 20/02/2017 14:20:02    1958688

Link

Replying To theduke66:  "Not sure what to think of current state of Dublin hurling. After the tipp game it looked like we wouldn't win a match all year. Even though Dublin were trailing cork at the start I was encouraged by what I saw. Dublin were horsing into them. The goal gave them the confidence to push on. It's also obvious you can't read too much into these early games."
Maybe it is simple fact that

1) Dublin were more motivated after a hiding?

2) Paric ui Rinn (Flowerlodge) is a tighter pitch then Croke park and Dublin always find it difficult in Croke Park?

I loved the intensity and the hunting down of players from the bits of the highlights I saw on TV.

It was a throw back to Dalo's Days.

Staying in the league is the priority, and if Dublin keep on producing intense performances like the pairc ui Rinn game (win/lose), the likes of me have little to be whinging about!

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 20/02/2017 23:00:46    1958951

Link

Lads was a great win on Saturday, nothing surer. But for me all it shows is that we aren't as bad as people feared after the Tipp game. You cant judge how good we are after the Cork game. We looked sharp and fast. But come may we will need to be faster and sharper because Galway will be and anybody we face after that will be.

Be very interesting to see how we cope with Waterford's style next week. That game will be a clearer indication of where we are at and where we are going than the 2 last 2 games

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 21/02/2017 13:45:33    1959145

Link