Dublin Forum

Leinster Final 2018 - Dublin V Laois

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Evan Comeford was spot on today

Did all that was asked

It's like watching Cluxton. Obviously training with him has had major benefits.

That performance will be very beneficial to him.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 24/06/2018 20:39:02    2114332

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Evan Comeford was spot on today

Did all that was asked

It's like watching Cluxton. Obviously training with him has had major benefits.

That performance will be very beneficial to him."
Indeed and isn't McCaffrey flying?

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7411 - 24/06/2018 22:12:46    2114385

Link

agree Jim. brilliant from evan

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13348 - 24/06/2018 22:35:00    2114403

Link

Comerford the stand out positive.

The only negative would have to be the team's continuing butchering of goal chances. At the moment we seem to need 6/7 goal chances to get 1 goal. Not good and something that needs serious work as against better teams you'll only get 1/2 goal chances per game.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12450 - 25/06/2018 09:47:40    2114519

Link

Result was never in doubt. Laois fought manfully in first half and have given Jim and management some food for thought going forward. We definitely were not comfortable under the high ball and better teams will look again to exploit this. In previous years we have stepped up to the mark in that regard when teams have tried it so hopefully we can replicate that going forward. Shadow boxing is nearly over and whatever the rights and wrongs of the current provincial/all ireland system we could end up with practically every team from Division 1 of the league in the " Super 8s" and this where the real challenges will start to kick in. I can see the team being slightly changed over those games as I think if all players are fit and well that Johnny Cooper will move back inside and cian and jack will come into the team. I would push brian howard into the half forward line for his work rate and power possibly at the expense of niall scully. No slight on the latter, he is a fine and tidy player but not sure he can break a tackle or win real dirty ball like howard. I think one of the corner forward spots is still up for grabs and it is about players showing their hand over next 3 weeks. Some good problems for management but never the less they will have to be addressed and that will be the benefit of a strong squad from here on in. I would imagine the squad is not 100% fine tuned just yet and is working towards that goal for the serious business. A word of mention for evan comerford yesterday, he done everything he had to do really well without being really tested. And also the laois goalie was immense. As good as a display of kicking out, shot stopping and bravery as you are ever likely to see. A fine fine player who might never will an all star but my god he would walk into practically any team in the country.

Adamski (Dublin) - Posts: 337 - 25/06/2018 11:40:56    2114591

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Indeed and isn't McCaffrey flying?"
Some player. He's the real deal and looks mad for it.

Huge bonus having him back and in such good shape going into Super 8's

I think we need an injection of hunger and dynamism and there's players currently coming on showing that level

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 25/06/2018 11:59:35    2114612

Link

I see Ciaran Kilkenny has played 10 matches this season in league and Champo and has picked up 8 Man of the match awards.. he is some player.. It's no coincidence the only game he missed ( v Monaghan) Dublin lost....

Sean.66 (Cavan) - Posts: 271 - 25/06/2018 20:31:58    2114946

Link

Replying To Sean.66:  "I see Ciaran Kilkenny has played 10 matches this season in league and Champo and has picked up 8 Man of the match awards.. he is some player.. It's no coincidence the only game he missed ( v Monaghan) Dublin lost...."
We're lucky to have him alright and I'm very happy about the way Gavin has decided to play him this year

Personally think it's where he's at his best, it's almost like having a new player.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 25/06/2018 20:56:33    2114961

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Comerford the stand out positive.

The only negative would have to be the team's continuing butchering of goal chances. At the moment we seem to need 6/7 goal chances to get 1 goal. Not good and something that needs serious work as against better teams you'll only get 1/2 goal chances per game."
It's poor finishing no doubt.

Need to be looking at sliding them in

Jack had a couple but he's perhaps rusty

Con had one where he slipped - great ball into him though and very clever run from him to get in the right spot

Mannion from a penno kicks it 3 feet wide = inexcusable

Need a little more composure and class up front.

There's two names that spring to mind - Costello or Basquel

I'm not overly impressed with a couple of the current lads starting.

Need some clinical finishing and that's what you generally get with them two boys

Still early days yet.. getting up the performance
levels... still though things need a tweak or two

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 25/06/2018 21:11:37    2114974

Link

... on another note

John Small's red card!

Hopefully commonsense prevails there.

It was silly but he hit the ball first and it looked worse than it was. Reaction from Laois player a wee OTT to boot but each to their own.

VAR would have been useful!

Should absolutely appeal that red. Has a very good chance over turning that. It was captured very clearly and the Sunday game have already done the hard work !

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 25/06/2018 21:26:38    2114989

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "We're lucky to have him alright and I'm very happy about the way Gavin has decided to play him this year

Personally think it's where he's at his best, it's almost like having a new player."
He really has clocked some scores this year already, if i get time ill go back and have a look.

What impact to we think moving Kilkenny into the square has had on Con

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2377 - 26/06/2018 10:47:11    2115232

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "He really has clocked some scores this year already, if i get time ill go back and have a look.

What impact to we think moving Kilkenny into the square has had on Con"
Yeah Con had only an ok game last day

Could have had a couple of goals

He's ticking along nicely though

Still a young lad with lots to learn

The fella is due a sort of lesser patch when you consider the run of success that he put together for himself.

He might be trying a little to hard at present but he's doing well and capable of great things at any second and the real stuff starts soon.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 26/06/2018 11:27:29    2115257

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "... on another note

John Small's red card!

Hopefully commonsense prevails there.

It was silly but he hit the ball first and it looked worse than it was. Reaction from Laois player a wee OTT to boot but each to their own.

VAR would have been useful!

Should absolutely appeal that red. Has a very good chance over turning that. It was captured very clearly and the Sunday game have already done the hard work !"
I going to have to disagree with you on this one, Jimbo. I thought it was a clear red card. I don't think Small actively went in to do what he did but it was, at best, careless and, at very least, reckless and gave the ref little choice. I appreciate that he appeared to be going for the ball and his hand deflected upwards into his opponents face but this isn't Small's first indiscretion that's led to him leaving the field so he has a bit of form.

I don't think Dublin should appeal because i) I don't think it would be overturned (my opinion) and ii) I think the appeals process is overused and has become a means of publically showing subjective solidarity. While this is not a bad thing by itself, its become tiresome when everyone appeals everything and I think Dublin should take the higher ground here.

Finally, re Small and his on-pitch antics, the whistle had already gone for an unnecessary foul from him before the incident in question occurred. This degree of undisciplined aggression could easily cost Dublin in a closer game (it may well have done in last years All-Ireland) and I think Small has become a bit of a liability in this regard. Until he can remove this from his game, I think Dublin have better options at the back and Jim should keep him benched. If removing this from his game diminishes him as a player, then so be it but, at current, I don't think we can afford to have him in the team. Just my two cents.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 486 - 26/06/2018 12:18:53    2115302

Link

Replying To Kurt_Angle:  "I going to have to disagree with you on this one, Jimbo. I thought it was a clear red card. I don't think Small actively went in to do what he did but it was, at best, careless and, at very least, reckless and gave the ref little choice. I appreciate that he appeared to be going for the ball and his hand deflected upwards into his opponents face but this isn't Small's first indiscretion that's led to him leaving the field so he has a bit of form.

I don't think Dublin should appeal because i) I don't think it would be overturned (my opinion) and ii) I think the appeals process is overused and has become a means of publically showing subjective solidarity. While this is not a bad thing by itself, its become tiresome when everyone appeals everything and I think Dublin should take the higher ground here.

Finally, re Small and his on-pitch antics, the whistle had already gone for an unnecessary foul from him before the incident in question occurred. This degree of undisciplined aggression could easily cost Dublin in a closer game (it may well have done in last years All-Ireland) and I think Small has become a bit of a liability in this regard. Until he can remove this from his game, I think Dublin have better options at the back and Jim should keep him benched. If removing this from his game diminishes him as a player, then so be it but, at current, I don't think we can afford to have him in the team. Just my two cents."
His hand bounced off the ball, no doubt he's had his issues in previous games but that shouldn't just mean he deserves a red card for this incident but hey if that's your opinion who am I to question it.

IMO He wasn't trying to intentionally make contact with his face, it was overzealous but still unintentional and the reaction of the Laois player seemed a little OTT and for me amplified the incident in the eyes of the linesman

It was a harsh straight red in my book. Harsh straight reds should be appealed and that's why the process exists.

If he deserved a straight red then I'd agree with you but he didn't.

I'd have to go with Gavin's and O'Se's frame of thought on it if I'm being honest.

He was a wee bit hard done in my book.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 26/06/2018 14:19:49    2115403

Link

I think Small can have no complaints.

I see where Jimbo is coming from (Ballymun wha!) but I actually think in general stuff like that needs to be clamped down on.

Small wasn't trying to hit him in the face but he did. Intentional or not it was uncalled for and should be punished imo.

It's one of those that 90% of the time you'd probably get away with it but the fact it happened on the sideline beside the linesman as well in front of a huge bank of vocal Laois fans meant that he couldn't get away with it.

Unfortunate but he can have no complaints.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12450 - 27/06/2018 08:11:23    2115707

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "I think Small can have no complaints.

I see where Jimbo is coming from (Ballymun wha!) but I actually think in general stuff like that needs to be clamped down on.

Small wasn't trying to hit him in the face but he did. Intentional or not it was uncalled for and should be punished imo.

It's one of those that 90% of the time you'd probably get away with it but the fact it happened on the sideline beside the linesman as well in front of a huge bank of vocal Laois fans meant that he couldn't get away with it.

Unfortunate but he can have no complaints."
Ahh he was hard done in my book

But sure if he's gone he's gone.

It's got nothing to do with him being from a magnificent club, its players being the spine of the greatest Dubs side of all time and at the very core of all this unbelievable success.

It's def got nothing to do with that. ;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19134 - 27/06/2018 10:55:24    2115796

Link