Dublin Forum

Dublin V Longford

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To waynoI:  "we won by 19 ppints and loads to improve on. we where poor in front of goal, a lot of wasted goal chances but look it's a win, on to the next one. we where in a no win situation today, smash them like we inevitably did and we where expected to do so, scrape past them and were on the decline. complaceny bla bla bla.

great to see osullivan and mccaffrey back. them few minutes will do wonders for them. hopefully Stephens injury isn't too bad but ev looked okay when he came on, you can see traits of Stephen in him."
It's done and dusted. Good victory and yes a little wasteful in front of goal. Good to have plenty to improve on.

Big pluses =

Jack back (Straight away gets the ball with purpose and runs full belt at them and sets up an attacking play)
The fella is golden. Huge having him back.

Cian back - massive having him back. Simple as that. Crucially important component.

Flynner back - wonderful leader and brings another big option from bench and further bolsters midfield.

Basquel- the fella is lethal and probably the best finisher I've seen since Bernard and up there with Con in terms of attacking threat

Brian Howard - what a shift he put in, the fella has it all, he's a work engine with skill to burn. Really can't wait to see what is to come

Kilkenny of old and underage level is back, he did a remarkable job at half forward but he's a scoring machine in close and can be ruthless and hungry with scores

Much improved options at midfield now with Fenton (sheer class) MDMC looking in good form, McCarthy, Flynner, Howard... options options options... love it.

Gerrup them Dubs!

This is a new and exciting team with youth/experience mixed perfectly and we now have many more options to further bolster our drive for 4 in a row compared to a few weeks ago

Exceptional forward planning by Gavin and you can see the younger lads all sort of coming of age at the same time.. that didn't happen by accident.

Leinster final up next and time for this team to make more history.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18963 - 11/06/2018 09:53:00    2109751

Link

Any word on Clucko? He ends up in hospital not a word about the late cowardly hit all people want to talk about is Jonny Cooper accidentally hitting the longford man.

The more they cry the sweeter every victory becomes.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9522 - 11/06/2018 10:30:46    2109777

Link

Cooper def went in hard but it's debatable if he meant to deliberately connect when compared to the Cluxton incident. Maybe he did mean to do him.. if so it was a straight red.

I can see Cluxton possibly missing the Leinster final. Hopefully it's just heavy bruising but a cracked rib/concussion wouldn't be surprising and hopefully it's not that.

Evan may be getting his first start in a Leinster final soon.. how Leonard would have loved that opportunity! Haha

Unfortunately from what I seen perhaps Longford had set out to deliberately target Cluxton as there was an earlier incident where a Longford forward came in a bit late on him and Cluxton wasn't impressed and then there was the big hit..

The two opportunities to have a go at Cluxton were definitely availed of... coincidence? Maybe so but still it looked that way.

It was a ridiculous challenge with zero intent on playing the ball. It's cowardly challenging a player in the air and it's very easy to seriously injure someone.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18963 - 11/06/2018 10:54:17    2109794

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Any word on Clucko? He ends up in hospital not a word about the late cowardly hit all people want to talk about is Jonny Cooper accidentally hitting the longford man.

The more they cry the sweeter every victory becomes."
Concussion/Ribs is the word going around but I don't know. Hopefully he is okay.

Id give Evan Comerford game time in the final anyway but if Stephen is fit, he'll play.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13185 - 11/06/2018 10:56:33    2109797

Link

Unfortunately from what I seen perhaps Longford had set out to deliberately target Cluxton as there was an earlier incident where a Longford forward came in a bit late on him and Cluxton wasn't impressed and then there was the big hit..

The two opportunities to have a go at Cluxton were definitely availed of... coincidence? Maybe so but still it looked that way.

It was a ridiculous challenge with zero intent on playing the ball. It's cowardly challenging a player in the air and it's very easy to seriously injure someone.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18110 - 11/06/2018 10:54:17

Obviously it's difficult to say that the challenge was premeditated but it wouldn't surprise me if it were. Like you said maybe it was coincidental but I wouldn't be so sure.

A thuggish and cowardly challenge and I'd say his team mates gave him dogs abuse afterwards.

Hard man BS.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12295 - 11/06/2018 15:06:10    2109991

Link

JOHNNY COOPER!!!!!!!!! You are all very quick to slate a tackle that a lot of people are in agreement was unfortunate but not as bad as it was made out to be but will anyone vilify Cooper for his blatant punch on our wing forward Dessie Reynolds...?...no? Anybody? cooper has form with this kind of thing so don't sit in your ivory tower and say Longford went out with a premeditated game plane to take cluxton out of the game by injuring him if youre not gonna acknowledge what cooper did was just as bad if not worse...Glass houses & tinted spectacles

LongfordSham (Longford) - Posts: 80 - 11/06/2018 16:50:29    2110083

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Any word on Clucko? He ends up in hospital not a word about the late cowardly hit all people want to talk about is Jonny Cooper accidentally hitting the longford man.

The more they cry the sweeter every victory becomes."
Coppers accidental hit? Please.

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1030 - 11/06/2018 17:35:21    2110128

Link

Let is go lads, we've a couple of boys who are no angels, take it on the chin and move on.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7287 - 11/06/2018 17:48:42    2110135

Link

Replying To LongfordSham:  "JOHNNY COOPER!!!!!!!!! You are all very quick to slate a tackle that a lot of people are in agreement was unfortunate but not as bad as it was made out to be but will anyone vilify Cooper for his blatant punch on our wing forward Dessie Reynolds...?...no? Anybody? cooper has form with this kind of thing so don't sit in your ivory tower and say Longford went out with a premeditated game plane to take cluxton out of the game by injuring him if youre not gonna acknowledge what cooper did was just as bad if not worse...Glass houses & tinted spectacles"
You're well named kid. Cooper took a closed fist punch just before that incident so this was probably retribution. It was a bad blow from Johnny and probably deserved a red but putting it in the same bracket as the Cluxton assault is laughable.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 3401 - 11/06/2018 18:01:42    2110144

Link

Replying To LongfordSham:  "JOHNNY COOPER!!!!!!!!! You are all very quick to slate a tackle that a lot of people are in agreement was unfortunate but not as bad as it was made out to be but will anyone vilify Cooper for his blatant punch on our wing forward Dessie Reynolds...?...no? Anybody? cooper has form with this kind of thing so don't sit in your ivory tower and say Longford went out with a premeditated game plane to take cluxton out of the game by injuring him if youre not gonna acknowledge what cooper did was just as bad if not worse...Glass houses & tinted spectacles"
Yeah if he meant it.. straight red card all day long! But listen he was grand.. no blood sun required and he played on so obviously the hit probably looked worse on ultra slow mo.

Longford forwards were putting themselves about from early on. If you're going to give it you have to take it.. this Dublin side can really mix it.

Do you think it was a coincidence that Cluxton was tackled deliberately late on two occasions in the first 25 odd minutes?

To be that late with a challenge stinks of a premeditated decision. He 100% went into the "tackle" to injure Cluxton. Why else would you tackle like that? There's only going to be one outcome.

It was a red card challenge.

It's odd that there was two late challenges on him in a short space of time.

To me it looked like a deliberate tactic and if it was.. your corner forward got what was coming to him!

Don't mean to sound bad but if yiz are going to put it about.. expect it back.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18963 - 11/06/2018 19:28:41    2110197

Link

How many fisted goals has Dean Rock scored this year, looks like something straight of the training ground.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2134 - 11/06/2018 22:10:46    2110269

Link

Eric Lowdnes really seems to have kicked on this year he has really impressed me, this could be his break out year.

Have tried a few times to start a thread on here about Brian Howard in the Dublin forum for some reason admin hasn't let it through, this lad is an absolute star in the making, he has every conceivable skill set in the game, when fully develops he is going to be a beast. He really stood out for in the U21s last year. He needs to develop a bit of swagger for me in a playing sense he has so much quality. He and Scully will be vital.

It's interesting watching Kilkenny in the forward line, hes racked up scores already and actually thought he should have done better yesterday points and goals, a very rare of day.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2134 - 11/06/2018 22:29:21    2110290

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "How many fisted goals has Dean Rock scored this year, looks like something straight of the training ground."
That's precisely what it is.

It's no coincidence that Rock is finding himself in there

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18963 - 11/06/2018 22:32:18    2110293

Link

Nothing blatant about it. The ball was there to be won! Stop deflecting!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 3561 - 12/06/2018 09:23:22    2110384

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Yeah if he meant it.. straight red card all day long! But listen he was grand.. no blood sun required and he played on so obviously the hit probably looked worse on ultra slow mo.

Longford forwards were putting themselves about from early on. If you're going to give it you have to take it.. this Dublin side can really mix it.

Do you think it was a coincidence that Cluxton was tackled deliberately late on two occasions in the first 25 odd minutes?

To be that late with a challenge stinks of a premeditated decision. He 100% went into the "tackle" to injure Cluxton. Why else would you tackle like that? There's only going to be one outcome.

It was a red card challenge.

It's odd that there was two late challenges on him in a short space of time.

To me it looked like a deliberate tactic and if it was.. your corner forward got what was coming to him!

Don't mean to sound bad but if yiz are going to put it about.. expect it back."
No blood sub required for cluxton either to be fair!!!!

I don't buy into it now at all that it was premeditated, an d not just because I'm from Longford because I don't see what purpose it would serve. Dublin have avast array of talent on the bench to choose from so why would purposely injuring one of your players who can be replaced by a player who would make it on any other team AND risk losing one of our best players and play the remainder of the game with 14 men?? It doesn't make sense. We were never going to win this game from the minute we bet meath, all we were hoping for was to put up a good performance and try keep up with the best. Going down to 14 men provided an ample opportunity for us to be torn to shreads and NO player or management team wants this to end up being the case. So with this in mind I highly doubt James Mcgvineys game plan was to injure cluxton or 'take him out'.

I genuinely think if it was any other player, from any other county that had been tackled like so early in the game a yellow card would have been given. Upon looking back at it I feel bad for Cluxton as nobody will deny what a great player he is and how important he is to Dublin and yeah the challenge was poor but I think there is a bit of an over reaction on Dubs behalf. Please do not try and justify the JC incident and vilify the Mcgviney one its petty and patronising. JC has form on this kind of think and while he was leading with a closed fist to get the ball it can be clearly seen that he changed the trajectory of his punch to make contact with Dessie Reynolds.

LongfordSham (Longford) - Posts: 80 - 12/06/2018 09:33:41    2110391

Link

at the time, I thought mcgivney would get a yellow and was surprised that a red card was shown especially as the game was always a forgone conclusion with 15 v 15 let alone 14 v 15. But I suppose referees can't be seen to making their own rules up so having looked back on it I can see why the red was given.

having said that. I don't think he meant to injure cluxton or went out with premeditated idea in his head to go and put cluxton in the mater. I do feel he went out however to kinda give the message that, okay we know we aren't as good as you, we know you will probably beat us, but you won't bully us and went in late on cluxton as our most experienced and you could argue, most important player to let him and Dublin know they won't just take their punishment lying down. You see it in all sports. a let the man know you're there. Maybe ruffle cluxton and I think he felt he would only get a yellow. The fact cluxton is off the ground for me is what makes that a red card offence but I don't understand why a fella would purposely try to hurt a dublin player and purposely risk seeing a red card, leaving your team mates with an even harder challenge as if it wasn't already hard enough, and seeing the line in croke park, a place where Longford don't play very often and where I'm sure he dreamt if playing for many years as a kid, in the first 15 mins if the game. he stood to achieve nothing.

so for me. dangerous. a red card offence but did he go out onto the field with the sole purpose of landing a dublin player in hospital, I don't think so.

just my opinion

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13185 - 12/06/2018 10:12:21    2110410

Link

Replying To LongfordSham:  "No blood sub required for cluxton either to be fair!!!!

I don't buy into it now at all that it was premeditated, an d not just because I'm from Longford because I don't see what purpose it would serve. Dublin have avast array of talent on the bench to choose from so why would purposely injuring one of your players who can be replaced by a player who would make it on any other team AND risk losing one of our best players and play the remainder of the game with 14 men?? It doesn't make sense. We were never going to win this game from the minute we bet meath, all we were hoping for was to put up a good performance and try keep up with the best. Going down to 14 men provided an ample opportunity for us to be torn to shreads and NO player or management team wants this to end up being the case. So with this in mind I highly doubt James Mcgvineys game plan was to injure cluxton or 'take him out'.

I genuinely think if it was any other player, from any other county that had been tackled like so early in the game a yellow card would have been given. Upon looking back at it I feel bad for Cluxton as nobody will deny what a great player he is and how important he is to Dublin and yeah the challenge was poor but I think there is a bit of an over reaction on Dubs behalf. Please do not try and justify the JC incident and vilify the Mcgviney one its petty and patronising. JC has form on this kind of think and while he was leading with a closed fist to get the ball it can be clearly seen that he changed the trajectory of his punch to make contact with Dessie Reynolds."
Anyone makes that challenge on anyone else in any other game in the country and it is a red card all day long.

He thumped into Cluxton in the air long, long after the ball was gone. He wasn't trying to win the ball, he's not that bad a player that anyone could suggest he was trying to legitimately go for the ball. Therefore it's obvious that he was going in to hurt his opponent.

He's either an awful tackler, that has no place on the pitch or he was deliberately trying to 'leave one on' the keeper.

I probably didn't mean it to be as bad but it was still certainly and clearly deliberate.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12295 - 12/06/2018 10:36:29    2110416

Link

Replying To LongfordSham:  "No blood sub required for cluxton either to be fair!!!!

I genuinely think if it was any other player, from any other county that had been tackled like so early in the game a yellow card would have been given. Upon looking back at it I feel bad for Cluxton as nobody will deny what a great player he is and how important he is to Dublin and yeah the challenge was poor but I think there is a bit of an over reaction on Dubs behalf. Please do not try and justify the JC incident and vilify the Mcgviney one its petty and patronising. JC has form on this kind of think and while he was leading with a closed fist to get the ball it can be clearly seen that he changed the trajectory of his punch to make contact with Dessie Reynolds."
I think it's fair to say that he didn't mean to hurt Cluxton like he did because as you say, getting himself sent off is not going to help Longford. He certainly meant to leave one on him though and to suggest that it was only a yellow card offence is ridiculous. Cluxton was completely airborne and at that moment in time he didn't care what the outcome was, he simply wanted to leave his mark. He could have easily pulled out of the challenge and chose not to. It was very dangerous, it was a red all day long and he deserves a decent ban in my view.

The Jonny Cooper incident was also a red all day long for me. He went in with a closed a fist and meant to connect with the Longford in my view. He's a lucky boy. Like the O'Connors from my own county (lest I be accused of being selective with my memory), he has been shown to have this side to him.

the_walls (Mayo) - Posts: 316 - 12/06/2018 11:14:53    2110442

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Anyone makes that challenge on anyone else in any other game in the country and it is a red card all day long.

He thumped into Cluxton in the air long, long after the ball was gone. He wasn't trying to win the ball, he's not that bad a player that anyone could suggest he was trying to legitimately go for the ball. Therefore it's obvious that he was going in to hurt his opponent.

He's either an awful tackler, that has no place on the pitch or he was deliberately trying to 'leave one on' the keeper.

I probably didn't mean it to be as bad but it was still certainly and clearly deliberate."
Think there is a small difference between leaving one on your man early doors letting him know you are there, And going out with the premeditated plan to land someone in hospital and I think there is a fine line between it ending up in a bad injury and just leaving one on him, unfortunately for McGivney he ended up doing the latter.

It was rash and it was reckless. But there is the idea that Stephen was targeted and that the Longford fella went out to purposely injure a fellow player and I don't think that was the case, personally.

Probably the most stonewall of red cards you will see all year in the football championship though and he can have no complaints whatsoever for getting the line.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13185 - 12/06/2018 11:24:03    2110453

Link

It was rash and it was reckless. But there is the idea that Stephen was targeted and that the Longford fella went out to purposely injure a fellow player and I don't think that was the case, personally.

Probably the most stonewall of red cards you will see all year in the football championship though and he can have no complaints whatsoever for getting the line.
waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 12638 - 12/06/2018 11:24:03

I don't see what else he could've been trying to do.

Otherwise what exactly was his intent? He was hardly trying to win a ball that was about 10 yards behind him by the time he made contact. He's not that bad a player.

Cluxton has already punched the ball by the time McGivney jumped.

He wasn't trying to win the ball, he was trying to get stuck into an opponent.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12295 - 12/06/2018 14:47:41    2110549

Link