Dublin Forum

Dublin v Galway

(Oldest Posts First)

Maybe the flaky Galway shows up?
That is Dublin's only chance I think

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 27/05/2017 13:03:03    1991208

Link

Don't see this as one sided at all.
will suit Dublin nicely aswell that people think its a dead duck of a game.
Galway played well in the league final but if league was structured properly they wouldn't have even been in a league final.
they didn't get promoted in the actual league rounds and the only game they impressed was the league final with a performance that came out of nowhere.
cork weren't mapped and beat tipp last week in what was supposed to be a cake walk for tipp. We tend to perform far better when we aren't been talked about or talking our selves up in the paper all week before a big game. Galway are like cork for me some days can play good others look very average.
Dublin team this year hasn't performed as bad as the results as we could have won a couple of them games we lost in the league. The problem was inexperience in putting games away when we were on top.
If we perform to what we can we have every chance of winning this but we have to take out chances when we get them that's crucial.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 27/05/2017 14:05:06    1991227

Link

Flaky Galway? Not sure about that one lads, they have been pretty consistent for the last few years.
Hill its fair enough to say if the league was structured properly they wouldn't have won it, but win it they did.You could also say if the league was structured properly they wouldn't have been relegated last year when they had 4 points and Cork had none!
I'm happy enough with our backline and midfield, don't think we will concede an awful lot I do think our forwards will struggle .

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 27/05/2017 14:44:01    1991238

Link

Replying To Condorman:  "Flaky Galway? Not sure about that one lads, they have been pretty consistent for the last few years.
Hill its fair enough to say if the league was structured properly they wouldn't have won it, but win it they did.You could also say if the league was structured properly they wouldn't have been relegated last year when they had 4 points and Cork had none!
I'm happy enough with our backline and midfield, don't think we will concede an awful lot I do think our forwards will struggle ."
The point is it was the only game they performed in at that level let's be honest the big game against wexford they lost. The priority was to win that divison to get promoted they didn't achieve that and beat Waterford in quarters who fielded a weakened selection and limerick who were very poor. They will still be in the lower division next year.
we played far better teams and except for tipp opening night were in every game just missed chances and inexperience cost idw in most games. If we perform Galway ain't a level above us there hasn't been much between teams last number years with us winning most of them games. I see it as a close game either way not one sided at all

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 27/05/2017 15:20:14    1991248

Link

Not holding out much hope. I think we can be competitive as our defence is strong but I think we'll struggle to get enough scores on the board to trouble Galway. It's bad seeing O'Dwyer still making the first 15, I think that shows how badly stuck in the forward line we are to see as limited a player still in the starting 15.

Not able to make it down today which is disappointing because it may well be a short summer.

Here's hoping for a performance nonetheless.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12724 - 28/05/2017 12:08:10    1991392

Link

Dooley really needs to sort out his puck outs.

He gives away scores every game he plays.

Defence is doing well enough but forwards are struggling. Great goal chance for Quinn but he butchered it.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12724 - 28/05/2017 16:14:39    1991469

Link

Defence has gone completely the last 10 mins or so. Hard to see from TV what the story is but there seems to be runners coming through on their own a lot.

Things look like they could get very ugly now after that goal.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12724 - 28/05/2017 16:29:35    1991477

Link

It turned out the way most of us thought it would unfortunately.

Cunningham has dragged this team backwards, at least we only have one more game under his stewardship.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12724 - 28/05/2017 17:34:09    1991501

Link

Pathetic performance is the only way to describe that shambles today.
Only two players can hold their heads up in trollier and Ben Quinn both fought tooth and nail but that performance as a team was gone back ten years to before we made any breakthrough.
offaly or westmeath would have beaten us today. The defence was like under 9s particularly the half back line, they have Galway ten yards space to collect the ball turn have a look at the posts and shoot.
Whatever about skill or players missing its basic stuff to make the forward work for the ball and the score, that was beyond effortless. What makes it worse was Liam rushe and shame barrett being kept on.
both players looked like headless chickens marking space. They have the two Galway boys the freedom of tullamore, Cunningham decides to do the old under 9s manager job and whip off the corner forward instead.
you would have to wonder how they prepared for today as that made Galway look good without having to try.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 28/05/2017 19:35:30    1991567

Link

Cunningham took over a team that was there or thereabouts for being a top four team. He has actually had a good few young lads coming through who have great potential. He has taken this side way backward. Any transition that is going on is only because he couldn't get along with some of the best and most experienced players on the panel. Absolute shambles. He should have been made walk after last year. Year wasted.

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1493 - 28/05/2017 19:59:35    1991575

Link

Replying To hurlinspuds:  "Cunningham took over a team that was there or thereabouts for being a top four team. He has actually had a good few young lads coming through who have great potential. He has taken this side way backward. Any transition that is going on is only because he couldn't get along with some of the best and most experienced players on the panel. Absolute shambles. He should have been made walk after last year. Year wasted."
100% agree
they done a thing in the Herald the other night of a team selection of 15 alternative Dublin players all who are dropped or walked away. When do many players and two selectors walk away there has to be something wrong with the leadership of a team.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 28/05/2017 20:14:33    1991578

Link

Really disappointed with Dublin today. Goalkeepers puckouts were terrible, o Callaghan probably shouldn't have got the second yellow, but he isn't good enough either way. Rushe was all over the place. I was impressed with the goalscorer and Dillon was frustrating to look at but appeared to try his living best, just has no end product. No leadership or direction at all from anyone involved. Hopefully it can improve from here

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1093 - 28/05/2017 22:30:54    1991659

Link

I'd be a lot more optimistic if current management team was gone. When a team's confidence is shot to pieces even the best players look like headless chickens. I just hope these young lads don't carry the can for poor management. It was very poor and I shudder who we end up with in qualifiers, especially with the lack of leadership, direction and conviction.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4183 - 29/05/2017 09:45:10    1991730

Link

Cunningham obviously has man management issues , you wont lose a squad of players if its a happy camp , what exactly are the issues seems to be a lot of guess work , So a huge portion of blame is layed squarely at the feet of the management team.

Now to the players , headless rudderless and heartless sums a lot of them up , its one thing to lose its another to capitulate ,no desire no hunger , Ive seen these lads training quite a bit over the months they are doing the work of that there is no doubt , however the six inches between your ears and heart in your chest cant be measured on the training ground .

For the future hopping to get down to the under 21 game in Nowlan park maybe see a player or two , its not looking good at all , Dalo took the lads as far as he could we seem to have gone backwards , theres a massive task ahead to however comes in

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 29/05/2017 13:10:23    1991802

Link

Sean Shanley on Off the ball saying the management team wanted a change of direction and style of play hence players being dropped.More pacey players needed.
Sounded like a right aul waffle if you ask me.
Cunningham just hasn't got what it takes in terms of the skills needed is more likely I would say.You wouldn't have that many lads gone from a panel if everything was rosey in the garden.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 1016 - 29/05/2017 20:31:43    1991946

Link