Dublin Forum

Congrats to Aaron Byrne - U21 POTY 2017

(Oldest Posts First)

While all the attention was on Con, this young man stood up and played some great ball.

Congrats to Aaron Byrne!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 22/05/2017 17:41:05    1989501

Link

A serious talent

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 22/05/2017 19:07:53    1989535

Link

Yes well done Aaron Byrne , he is another class act in the making. Need to get these kids game time asap

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 22/05/2017 21:49:53    1989604

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Yes well done Aaron Byrne , he is another class act in the making. Need to get these kids game time asap"
Need to get them game time asap , where's the fire ? What's Aaron done at senior to warrant getting game time in senior championship ? What ever happened to working your way into a team ? who are we thinking needs to be dropped ? How many of these kids are you talking about ? Obviously Con gets the nod as he's not exactly new to inter county , as for the other lads join the Q work the ass off yourself the way it's supposed to be IMO

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 22/05/2017 22:53:53    1989632

Link

Down thumbing for giving congrats to a Dublin player?

ok.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 23/05/2017 10:30:06    1989707

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Need to get them game time asap , where's the fire ? What's Aaron done at senior to warrant getting game time in senior championship ? What ever happened to working your way into a team ? who are we thinking needs to be dropped ? How many of these kids are you talking about ? Obviously Con gets the nod as he's not exactly new to inter county , as for the other lads join the Q work the ass off yourself the way it's supposed to be IMO"
Our next game is against Carlow, would you not like to see Con , Basqual, O Reilly and Byrne get some game time? You won't get a better chance to play them and get that big crowd experience. The quicker you get the kids game time the younger they'll be to make the big step up.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/05/2017 17:09:24    1989901

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Down thumbing for giving congrats to a Dublin player?

ok."
Haha

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19592 - 23/05/2017 18:32:13    1989944

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Our next game is against Carlow, would you not like to see Con , Basqual, O Reilly and Byrne get some game time? You won't get a better chance to play them and get that big crowd experience. The quicker you get the kids game time the younger they'll be to make the big step up."
Are o Reilly and Byrne even in the senior panel? O'Reilly may not have the phsique as of yet. Byrne will be involved next year I would imagine probably not this year.
Basquel has not done enough to deserve a start at senior inter county this year in my opinion.
all have ability but for me only O Callaghan has worked his way into a position to start. Mannion, Andrews, Costello, O gara, reddin, scully, mcmannoman, McHugh are all vying for a position and game time ahead of the guys you mentioned.
we can't just put out a full team in August (providing we get there) and click our fingers and play like we have done the last few years just like that. We need to hit the ground running and start playing our first team together from the get go in this competiton, we used the league to blood and mix up selections, now its time to get down to buisness and get into form as the league proved we need our best 15 starting and not leaving it too late to win games.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 23/05/2017 18:53:57    1989956

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Yes well done Aaron Byrne , he is another class act in the making. Need to get these kids game time asap"
Could loan them out other leinster counties?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 23/05/2017 20:09:21    1989983

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Are o Reilly and Byrne even in the senior panel? O'Reilly may not have the phsique as of yet. Byrne will be involved next year I would imagine probably not this year.
Basquel has not done enough to deserve a start at senior inter county this year in my opinion.
all have ability but for me only O Callaghan has worked his way into a position to start. Mannion, Andrews, Costello, O gara, reddin, scully, mcmannoman, McHugh are all vying for a position and game time ahead of the guys you mentioned.
we can't just put out a full team in August (providing we get there) and click our fingers and play like we have done the last few years just like that. We need to hit the ground running and start playing our first team together from the get go in this competiton, we used the league to blood and mix up selections, now its time to get down to buisness and get into form as the league proved we need our best 15 starting and not leaving it too late to win games."
As far as I know the two boys with Brian Howard have joined the senior panel who have just got back after a six week break after League Final. Unfortunately a few had to drop off to make way. Not much been said about Howard but I definitely think he's a prospect. outstanding underage and can play anywhere on the pitch.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 319 - 24/05/2017 10:34:30    1990140

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Our next game is against Carlow, would you not like to see Con , Basqual, O Reilly and Byrne get some game time? You won't get a better chance to play them and get that big crowd experience. The quicker you get the kids game time the younger they'll be to make the big step up."
Just my opinion but that's what you use the O Byrne cup and league for , championship should be about cementing your play for the summer , formations and Plan A B C , equally this year is different to previous we are looking a bit ragged and there are players who need to prove themselves all over again , Con most likely will come in and add zip , and I wouldn't be against sub appearances for other lads , but they do need to earn their stripes , I've spent the last four months in DCU and Abbotstown and seen some of the work behind the scenes that current squad have been committing to, Gavin more than any one knows the value of loyalty and hard work

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 24/05/2017 11:07:20    1990157

Link

A well deserved award for Aaron Byrne. He was very impressive in the games I seen and especially against our lads in the semi final. I'd imagine we'll see a number of that under 21 team make the breakthrough to the senior team in the next year or two. 3 or 4 of the lads would be starters on most teams already but that Dublin team isn't too easy to break into. I've a question for Dubs supporters, do you think Con O'Callaghan will be a regular starter this year during champo? If not, do you think he should? I haven't seen much of him yet but there certainly is alot of hype and I'm curious to see if you lads think it's merited.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 438 - 24/05/2017 14:19:14    1990266

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "A well deserved award for Aaron Byrne. He was very impressive in the games I seen and especially against our lads in the semi final. I'd imagine we'll see a number of that under 21 team make the breakthrough to the senior team in the next year or two. 3 or 4 of the lads would be starters on most teams already but that Dublin team isn't too easy to break into. I've a question for Dubs supporters, do you think Con O'Callaghan will be a regular starter this year during champo? If not, do you think he should? I haven't seen much of him yet but there certainly is alot of hype and I'm curious to see if you lads think it's merited."
Forward line needs shaking up, every year or two you have to offer up a new challenge new threat , Con seems best equipped to step up

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 24/05/2017 16:22:39    1990319

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "A well deserved award for Aaron Byrne. He was very impressive in the games I seen and especially against our lads in the semi final. I'd imagine we'll see a number of that under 21 team make the breakthrough to the senior team in the next year or two. 3 or 4 of the lads would be starters on most teams already but that Dublin team isn't too easy to break into. I've a question for Dubs supporters, do you think Con O'Callaghan will be a regular starter this year during champo? If not, do you think he should? I haven't seen much of him yet but there certainly is alot of hype and I'm curious to see if you lads think it's merited."
He's the real deal alright
But worryingly he hasn't had any time at senior this year so far.
Maybe that was by design by Jim Gavin as he already knows what he can do, it's possible and hard to know as Gavin doesn't give much away but there's a strong feeling he will start against Carlow

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 25/05/2017 09:05:38    1990512

Link

Byrne and King Con have been immense, however the player I left feeling there was something very special about was Brian Howard.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2914 - 25/05/2017 23:40:51    1990873

Link

why ? what's the rush/panic. they are only kids as you say. years and years ahead of them. Don't get the short sighted view of getting these lads in RIGHT NOW!! relax. They don't NEED to be in the senior XV .. if our senior team need these young lads starting then there is something serious wrong. Starting them just isn't necessary barring some kind of injury crisis. If these lads the like of Byrne, Con and a few others are gonna get senior action this summer in particular I think it'll be from the bench, not from the start. I could be wrong especially with regard to con but that's just how I see it. The lads are what about 19 or 20 ? they've well over 12 or 13 years ahead of them if they continu3 their progress.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13502 - 26/05/2017 12:33:02    1990967

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "why ? what's the rush/panic. they are only kids as you say. years and years ahead of them. Don't get the short sighted view of getting these lads in RIGHT NOW!! relax. They don't NEED to be in the senior XV .. if our senior team need these young lads starting then there is something serious wrong. Starting them just isn't necessary barring some kind of injury crisis. If these lads the like of Byrne, Con and a few others are gonna get senior action this summer in particular I think it'll be from the bench, not from the start. I could be wrong especially with regard to con but that's just how I see it. The lads are what about 19 or 20 ? they've well over 12 or 13 years ahead of them if they continu3 their progress."
You said the same 5 years ago and you were wrong , where did I say start them? I said let's get them some game time to get that experience. The younger we get them in their and comfortable in championship football the better for us all. I think we can afford to give them game time against Carlow and other Leinster teams.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 26/05/2017 13:17:17    1990994

Link