Dublin Forum

Dublin championship team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

EXCELLENT PIECE BY M BREAHNEY TODAYS INDEPENDENT
Make two notes now because you can be guaranteed that one will be trotted out as the definitive, if utterly predictable, line in post-match analysis in the event of Dublin and Kerry meeting in this year's championship.
If Kerry win, last Sunday's game will be bestowed with huge significance, the day when they put doubts in Dublin heads and exploited them again on an even bigger day. If Kerry lose, the league final will be dubbed Dublin's 'wake-up call', the game which concentrated minds, making players realise how much they had to do.
Neither is necessarily true but the result will make one of them sound the essence of informed judgement. But then we live in a world of absolutes, even in sport, where the winners are always deemed to be better and smarter than the losers, irrespective of the margin.
If a forward collected the rebound when Dean Rock's free hit the post in the final seconds last Sunday and scored the winning goal, it would have been portrayed as a case of Jim Gavin's men knowing how to win in tight finishes and Kerry unable to escape from Dublin's psychological grip.
It was all down to a matter of inches - first with Rock's kick hitting the post and then a Kerry defender winning possession - yet the result is being seen as hugely significant. The reality is that there has been very little between Dublin and Kerry in recent years, even if results tilted in the Blues' direction.
Mayo, Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal have been in the close mix too. There's no reason why they all won't stay there and, hopefully, be joined a some others. The big issue in football for several seasons has been Dublin's utter dominance in Leinster, not elsewhere. Only Leinster counties can sort that out

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 12/04/2017 08:01:44    1978657

Link

personally lads i think you are much better team with mc caffrey and mannion in the team. Mannion's impact on sunday was immense while mc caffrey's pace really puts your attack on the front foot and creates the overlap that opens the opposition up for goals. I think the result was significant for kerry but changes little for Dublin who are still favourites for the all-ireland, if anything the defeat may provide them with the extra motivation they need (if it was needed anyway).

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 448 - 12/04/2017 11:07:37    1978736

Link

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-might-have-to-plan-without-former-player-of-the-year-michael-darragh-macauley-this-summer-35720546.html

Possibility of a summer without MDM , while its fair to say he hasn't always played to his high standards over last couple of years this would still be a massive blow , Reddin Flynn COS and for a time Bastic may do a job but Fenton and MDM on form is our best partnership IMO .
If we are to win Sam its definitely going to be done the hard way with the injuries we are carrying , you know for once I'm actually happy we are in Leinster as it does give time to work on some of our walking wounded

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5186 - 16/05/2017 12:00:07    1987048

Link

For me I think Paul Flynn will partner Fenton in centrefield this summer as we need something different there than what we went with the last few years.
Flynn started the all ireland final replay there and had his best game of last year that day. His influence at wing forward (roscommon game aside) has been minimal this year. His long kick passing would be able to speed up attacks aswell.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 16/05/2017 14:05:36    1987097

Link

Flynn or Kilkenny, I wouldnt wholly rule out Denis either, the man has four All Irelands and COS has won won there.

I wonder what truth the is in the article, his explosiveness from the bench has turned many a game.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2914 - 16/05/2017 14:35:44    1987112

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-might-have-to-plan-without-former-player-of-the-year-michael-darragh-macauley-this-summer-35720546.html

Possibility of a summer without MDM , while its fair to say he hasn't always played to his high standards over last couple of years this would still be a massive blow , Reddin Flynn COS and for a time Bastic may do a job but Fenton and MDM on form is our best partnership IMO .
If we are to win Sam its definitely going to be done the hard way with the injuries we are carrying , you know for once I'm actually happy we are in Leinster as it does give time to work on some of our walking wounded"
Huge loss hopefully not as bad as being reported he was brilliant in last years replay final. Asking a lot of a 36 year old Bastic to still make an impact imo.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 16/05/2017 15:14:39    1987137

Link