Louth Forum

Final Nail In The Coffin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Northlouth:  "Not to worry wherestheballbag. If seems like the move is on from the clubs to sort this mess out at long last.
It's time the clubs in Louth got involved to help sort fixtures, coaching structures etc out. To be fair to the county board they need help. Trying to run 11 rounds of league must be an impossible job.
How come we cannot have a proper and decent club structure in Louth is beggars belief. A county who are almost certain to be in the last four of the all Ireland Kerry held their Division 1 league final today. Have their club Championship over also. All they have to play now is the last 16 of their all county championship and they play the Munster final next weekend."
What gets me every time i read these type of posts is, they'd be great powerful stuff if this was a dictatorship but the county board is picked and voted from the clubs already.
There is great ideas on this forum, in the press, on social media and on most bar stools around the county but until people stand and put the work in and follow the democratic process of the gaa, while accepting the responsibility that comes with this, its as good as what lingers on the bar stools. Hot air.
I'm not being negative here, I was in my supps when posting and am paying the price today.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 17/06/2019 20:28:21    2196757

Link

Replying To WheresDeBallBag:  "What gets me every time i read these type of posts is, they'd be great powerful stuff if this was a dictatorship but the county board is picked and voted from the clubs already.
There is great ideas on this forum, in the press, on social media and on most bar stools around the county but until people stand and put the work in and follow the democratic process of the gaa, while accepting the responsibility that comes with this, its as good as what lingers on the bar stools. Hot air.
I'm not being negative here, I was in my supps when posting and am paying the price today."
Why would you as it seems you are on the CCC as all your posts leads all the way to you being one of the top men on the ccc. You seem to know a lot of what's happening.
It wouldn't be hard to get someone to fix 11 games

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 17/06/2019 22:38:37    2196843

Link

Replying To Northlouth:  "Why would you as it seems you are on the CCC as all your posts leads all the way to you being one of the top men on the ccc. You seem to know a lot of what's happening.
It wouldn't be hard to get someone to fix 11 games"
I am a top man, thanks. Did you ever sit before the ccc? I did once and then there was no top men. There was only close to one "top man". He ran the show the rest were there to make up numbers, we can all see the problems I honestly think now we just don't care. I'm chuffed you think my insights mean I'm in Darver on the inside track but it's just this stuff isn't that complicated. There's structures in place, it's all fairly repetitive not too many wild cards so not that hard to understand and I agree it shouldn't be that hard to get someone to fix 11 games. I hope all the puffed chests and hot air this time results in a good strong movement not just more indegestion and whingeing.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 18/06/2019 00:31:57    2196892

Link

Reports from two journalists who were at last nights county board meeting that they were asked to leave meeting in advance of discussions about the county teams. Chairman gave no explanation and refused club delegates request that the journalists be allowed remain at meeting. A small number of delegates left the meeting in protest, however most remained.

Drogexile (Louth) - Posts: 58 - 18/06/2019 07:40:59    2196918

Link

It's great to see all the huff and puff from club men around the county, it would be great to see you all at the fixtures forum next month and to sort out the debacle over Louth club fixtures once and for all. I was at the county board meeting last night and Des Halpenny issued an open invitation to Chairmen, secretary's, managers and club reps - so I'd encourage you all to put your hand up at your next club meeting and ask to attend.

Declan Byrne of the CCC explained to Paddy Farrell of the Brides last night the reason why we've only had a few Sunday fixtures over the last 2 months - and it all boiled down to the appearance of our inter county teams - through all age groups - in the Leinster competitions. It would seem that the progression or lack of progression of inter county teams is the reason why fixtures are drip fed. For example, it was stated last night that the championship would begin the weekend of the 11th July but that would depend entirely on the progression of the Louth U20's team - who are out in the next couple of weeks.

In my opinion the fixtures debacle is very simple. Louth clubs refuse to play games without their county players. There has been uproar at every single meeting that the CCC has suggested an increase in star games - created by the delegates that you and your clubs have selected to represent them. It seems impossible to implement a master fixture list when the clubs won't play without these players. The CB and the CCC have been given a mandate by the clubs to hold back games so that all county players are available at club level - but the majority of GAA people are abhorred by the uncertainty in the fixture list because of it. I enjoy this forum and this is a great debate, the fixtures forum will give each and every keyboard warrior an opportunity to voice their opinion on a stage where it could make an actual difference. I would like to hear your opinions on how to solve this fixtures problem?

Mesut (Louth) - Posts: 41 - 18/06/2019 09:57:03    2196954

Link

Replying To Mesut:  "It's great to see all the huff and puff from club men around the county, it would be great to see you all at the fixtures forum next month and to sort out the debacle over Louth club fixtures once and for all. I was at the county board meeting last night and Des Halpenny issued an open invitation to Chairmen, secretary's, managers and club reps - so I'd encourage you all to put your hand up at your next club meeting and ask to attend.

Declan Byrne of the CCC explained to Paddy Farrell of the Brides last night the reason why we've only had a few Sunday fixtures over the last 2 months - and it all boiled down to the appearance of our inter county teams - through all age groups - in the Leinster competitions. It would seem that the progression or lack of progression of inter county teams is the reason why fixtures are drip fed. For example, it was stated last night that the championship would begin the weekend of the 11th July but that would depend entirely on the progression of the Louth U20's team - who are out in the next couple of weeks.

In my opinion the fixtures debacle is very simple. Louth clubs refuse to play games without their county players. There has been uproar at every single meeting that the CCC has suggested an increase in star games - created by the delegates that you and your clubs have selected to represent them. It seems impossible to implement a master fixture list when the clubs won't play without these players. The CB and the CCC have been given a mandate by the clubs to hold back games so that all county players are available at club level - but the majority of GAA people are abhorred by the uncertainty in the fixture list because of it. I enjoy this forum and this is a great debate, the fixtures forum will give each and every keyboard warrior an opportunity to voice their opinion on a stage where it could make an actual difference. I would like to hear your opinions on how to solve this fixtures problem?"
I was at the county board meeting last night and Des Halpenny issued an open invitation to Chairmen, secretary's, managers and club reps
Hopefully he wont ask anyone to leave in the middle of the meeting!

Declan Byrne of the CCC explained to Paddy Farrell of the Brides last night the reason why we've only had a few Sunday fixtures over the last 2 months - and it all boiled down to the appearance of our inter county teams - through all age groups - in the Leinster competitions
Surely the only teams that can have an effect on club games are the louth seniors and the u20's? What does he mean 'through all age groups'? Am i missing something here?

So basically he is saying that there cannot be a master fixture list for the remainder of the year because of a louth u20's game?

woodenhead (Louth) - Posts: 100 - 18/06/2019 11:31:50    2197003

Link

There is clearly a problem with how fixtures are administrated. I know that my club has never had a problem with star games but feel that with only a single round of league games that 2 is enough. A double round with maybe a few less teams in each division would easily allow 4...maybe 5 star games without affecting the competition as drastically. The star games could then be organised around the inter county season which would allow for an extended run for the county. When I look at how Armagh and Monaghan operate, it really frustrates me.

I don't want to trivialise setting up a master fixture calendar. But seriously in a county like Louth it should not be hard to at least have something to aspire to in terms of dates. Other counties with more clubs, more competitions and more players handle this far more effectively. Clubs need to work with the county board of course but when I read about what went on last night at the meeting, then I have serious concerns about how this board are operating. There seems to be a huge lack of transparency.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 394 - 18/06/2019 12:10:55    2197034

Link

But the leagues are nearly gona be wrapped up before the championships start so that is what we all want so there is no need to be panicking about more star games.The only issue is releasing fixtures a little bit earlier than 5 or 6 days notice to give lads a chance to plan their lives.If the championships are starting on July 11th then release all the fixtures for it now to give good notice to players.

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 77 - 18/06/2019 13:48:04    2197098

Link

Replying To woodenhead:  "I was at the county board meeting last night and Des Halpenny issued an open invitation to Chairmen, secretary's, managers and club reps
Hopefully he wont ask anyone to leave in the middle of the meeting!

Declan Byrne of the CCC explained to Paddy Farrell of the Brides last night the reason why we've only had a few Sunday fixtures over the last 2 months - and it all boiled down to the appearance of our inter county teams - through all age groups - in the Leinster competitions
Surely the only teams that can have an effect on club games are the louth seniors and the u20's? What does he mean 'through all age groups'? Am i missing something here?

So basically he is saying that there cannot be a master fixture list for the remainder of the year because of a louth u20's game?"
As it stands it seems that the inter county Seniors, U20's, Minors and Juniors all have a bearing on the club fixture list - both in terms of their matches and in terms of their preparation for matches. Byrne gave out a rough guide to when games will take place alright - but he clearly stated that club championship games wouldn't be taking place until the U20's are available to play with their clubs

Mesut (Louth) - Posts: 41 - 18/06/2019 14:50:08    2197125

Link

Very simple. Follow the Monaghan league model. Double round leagues which straight away gives the club player more game time therefore will improve standards. No let up in leagues for county team. Star Games without County players, 2 points up for grabs for a win. Games with county players, 5 points up for grabs. Plus to games going ahead without County players is that other club players get to play again improving standards. End of the day leagues are important but still only leagues at end of the day and ask the clubs to kop on and play without County players if u have them, 2 points on offer and there will be enough 5 pointers to be played if structured correctly to catch up if u r good enough.

With this very simple to put in place fixture guarantees for a season

Red2017 (Louth) - Posts: 98 - 18/06/2019 23:50:06    2197396

Link

Replying To Red2017:  "Very simple. Follow the Monaghan league model. Double round leagues which straight away gives the club player more game time therefore will improve standards. No let up in leagues for county team. Star Games without County players, 2 points up for grabs for a win. Games with county players, 5 points up for grabs. Plus to games going ahead without County players is that other club players get to play again improving standards. End of the day leagues are important but still only leagues at end of the day and ask the clubs to kop on and play without County players if u have them, 2 points on offer and there will be enough 5 pointers to be played if structured correctly to catch up if u r good enough.

With this very simple to put in place fixture guarantees for a season"
Great idea. I literally see no reason not to implement something like that. Do you think the current league structure of 12 teams (meaning 22 games) is too much and that reducing the leagues to 9/10 teams might be better?

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 394 - 19/06/2019 09:44:09    2197451

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Great idea. I literally see no reason not to implement something like that. Do you think the current league structure of 12 teams (meaning 22 games) is too much and that reducing the leagues to 9/10 teams might be better?"
Currently we have 4 leagues with 38 clubs
Div 1 - 12 teams, Div 2 - 12 teams, Div 3A - 6 Teams (double round), Div 3B - 8 Teams (double round).
Why not even the numbers out within the leagues and play a double round.
Div 1 to consist of 9 teams with a double round
Div 2 to consist of 9 teams with a double round
Div 3 to consist of 10 teams with a double round
Div 4 to consist of 10 teams with a double round
The reason I have put 9 in both Div 1 & Div 2 is that nearly all our county players play in these 2 leagues.
Throw in the 2 point and 5 point rule which Monaghan currently use and we should have a competitive structure within each league. If clubs don't agree to change with regards playing league without county players then we cannot keep blaming the county board for short notice of fixtures.

smokey (Louth) - Posts: 32 - 19/06/2019 14:22:38    2197597

Link

Replying To smokey:  "Currently we have 4 leagues with 38 clubs
Div 1 - 12 teams, Div 2 - 12 teams, Div 3A - 6 Teams (double round), Div 3B - 8 Teams (double round).
The reason I have put 9 in both Div 1 & Div 2 is that nearly all our county players play in these 2 leagues.
Throw in the 2 point and 5 point rule which Monaghan currently use and we should have a competitive structure within each league. If clubs don't agree to change with regards playing league without county players then we cannot keep blaming the county board for short notice of fixtures."
I think that structure would be worthwhile .. Even to give it one or two seasons to trial it...

wrongball (Louth) - Posts: 7 - 19/06/2019 18:36:00    2197706

Link

This format has to be implemented as a key pillar to improving standards and engagement in Gaelic football in County Louth. Way things are at the moment, club players and in turn County players very frustrated and could easily walk away.

Get it done and ratified and don't even think about amalgamated championship

Red2017 (Louth) - Posts: 98 - 19/06/2019 20:04:03    2197722

Link

More restructuring? Is that really what's needed here?

The main issue is the lack of a Master Fixture List. Secondary issue would be not enough games, which a double round of fixtures would rectify. The leagues are all competitive already.

Any of the other suggestions seem like change for change's sake to me.

Sawyer (Louth) - Posts: 269 - 19/06/2019 20:19:35    2197730

Link

Replying To Sawyer:  "More restructuring? Is that really what's needed here?

The main issue is the lack of a Master Fixture List. Secondary issue would be not enough games, which a double round of fixtures would rectify. The leagues are all competitive already.

Any of the other suggestions seem like change for change's sake to me."
Restructuring as the posters are saying would definitely solve your two issues. I reckon it's going to happen, constant games and continuity of fixtures and we can all start enjoying our football again and actually talking about matches. By the sounds of it there'll be a cue of clubs submitting motions. Hopefully everyone.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 19/06/2019 22:29:42    2197785

Link

Round of League fixtures in Dublin last night...……

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 20/06/2019 13:34:28    2197954

Link

Replying To smokey:  "Currently we have 4 leagues with 38 clubs
Throw in the 2 point and 5 point rule which Monaghan currently use and we should have a competitive structure within each league. If clubs don't agree to change with regards playing league without county players then we cannot keep blaming the county board for short notice of fixtures."
Of the suggestions I've read to date, I'd be completely against

1. No relegation / promotion within the league
2. 5 pointer matches
3. 9/9/10/10 teams in leagues

1. There would be far too many meaningless games and I for one don't buy the , a match is a match approach - just look at the ACC for example.

2. 5 pointer matches - just can't get my head around that. That's madness.

3. There is a reason why Div 3 had to split to 3A/3B very recently. Now you want to go back to basically a Division 3 (would become Division 4) league.

The only thing I can agree to is home/away matches and the idea of playing more star games. The league should carry on without county players, as some people suggest "it's only the league after all". The League matches would be on the weekend and county manager can effectively give the go ahead to players not in his 26 for that weekend to play with the club.

Itsme (Louth) - Posts: 398 - 20/06/2019 14:52:32    2197993

Link

Louth's Championship Record this decade:
Home matches: Played: 6 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 4. Win Rate: 33%
Away matches: Played: 12 Won 4 Drew 0 Lost 8. Win Rate: 33%
Neutral grounds: Played: 14 Won 6 Drew 0 Lost 8. Win Rate: 42%
Total games: Played: 32 Won 12 Drew 0 Lost 20. Win Rate: 38%

Louth's heaviest Championship defeats this decade:
1). Dubs 5-21 (36) Louth 0-10 (10).............Portlaoise.......2019.....26 points defeat
2). Tipp 3-21 (30) Louth 0-07 (7)...............Semple.............2015....23 points defeat
3). Tyrone 2-21 (29) Louth 0-10 (10).........Omagh..........2014.....17 points defeat
4). Dubs 2-22 (28) Louth 0-12 (12)...........Croker..............2012.....16 points defeat
5). Kildare 1-22 (25) Louth 1-07 (10)..........Croker...........2014.......15 points defeat

Louth's League Record this decade:
Home matches: Played: 35 Won 15 Drew 3 Lost 17. Win Rate: 42%
Away matches: Played: 34 Won 13 Drew 4 Lost 17. Win Rate: 38%
Neutral grounds: Played: 4 Won 3 Drew 0 Lost 1. Win Rate: 75%
Total games: Played: 73 Won 31 Drew 7 Lost 35. Win Rate: 42%

Louth's heaviest League defeats this decade:
1). Down 4-16 (28) Louth 0-09 (9)...........Newry..............2014.......19 points defeat
2). Sligo 2-26 (32) Louth 2-09 (15)...........Sligo.................2015........17 points defeat
3). Armagh 3-15 (24) Louth 0-10 (10)...........Drogheda.......2017......14 points defeat
4). Tipp 2-17 (23) Louth 0-09 (9).................Thurles..............2018......14 points defeat
5). Cavan 3-17 (26) Louth 0-13 (13)............Cavan.................2018.......13 points defeat

Louth's Championship and League Record together:
Home matches: Played 41 Won 17 Drew 3 Lost 21. Win Rate: 41%
Away matches: Played 46 Won 17 Drew 4 Lost 25. Win Rate: 37%
Neutral grounds: Played 18 Won 9 Drew 0 Lost 9. Win Rate: 50%
Total games: Played: 105 Won 43 Drew 7 Lost 55. Win Rate: 41%

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12113 - 20/06/2019 22:16:15    2198146

Link

Replying To MR:  "Round of League fixtures in Dublin last night...……"
With NO county players

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 21/06/2019 00:04:23    2198179

Link