Louth Forum

Final Nail In The Coffin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Why is one of the best coaches in Louth Colm Nally working in Meath, same reason because he would want things done properly. Got forbid that would happen

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1504 - 10/06/2019 12:25:47    2192790

Link

Replying To joej:  "Why is one of the best coaches in Louth Colm Nally working in Meath, same reason because he would want things done properly. Got forbid that would happen"
That's why he didn't take the job after Kelly and mc Grath I believe. We looked unfit, unorganised unmotivated on Saturday, strange team picked and strange substitutions, couldn't see any tactics. Why isn't Paddy Keenan, Seamus O Hanlon or JP Rooney and Christy Grimes all these type of fellas been asked to get involved? They would bring great experience and passion for Louth, doesn't have to be in a coaching capacity but they have real standing in Louth and are respected, they would raise standards.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 10/06/2019 13:00:53    2192824

Link

All points are valid but a lot of misinformed points U17 are playing in the shield competition although around 12 lads have opted out of the panel . U20s is a joke not the players fault. The serious lack of funds available to county teams is appalling and there is no fund raising or investment on the horizon. The county board will come with a Tax for the clubs a for the new Co Grounds and the clubs need to take your co board rep position very serious and make sure the right man is in place to refuse to agree to any more taxation been put on the clubs until the clubs stand up to the county board then it is always going to be jobs for the boys there is no shortage of curry's at the top table. On the points been made regarding certain coaches not been used by our county board personality differences and cost more importantly are the real issues, until the increasing fees been commanded by coaches to clubs is addressed then our best coaches will never be available to coach our county players time to take the heads out of the sand. There is just over 40 Clubs in the county how many adult teams are paying there manager/coach to look after them and im not talking petrol money or phone money im taking wages theirs your problem .

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 112 - 10/06/2019 13:13:04    2192842

Link

We all know the County Board is a joke but if we got rid of the whole board and had a new County Board, we would have the same issues. The people involved don't seem to care about the County Team. I remember when we got to Division 2, I was really excited but after we lost the first two games, everybody was on a downer. It was this stage, that Louth started an initiative where you could sponsor a player, while a lot of people would have been interested in this at the start of the campaign, they are not going to do this, once we had lost a few games.

As Joe Carroll stated in his recent article, when Wayne Kierans speaks of stakeholders, this should include supporters who have a seat at the table as soon enough there will be no supporters left to take a seat.

I was at every game this year but I seriously question my sanity after Saturday and when last year the only game we won was out of the country you have to say what is the point.

It is hard to analyse the game on Saturday as Louth were ahead by 6 points and looked like they were going to hammer Antrim but then Antrim took over and Louth struggled for scores. Why was Andy McDonnell (1-1), top scorer taken off at half time, if he was injured that is fine but if not, questions has to be asked of the management. Jim McEneaney was not great against Dublin but still got 2 points and was clearly available to come on. William Woods scored a point against Wexford and didn't come on. Very odd, however none of this disguises how poor Louth were.

MiddleofLouth (Louth) - Posts: 77 - 10/06/2019 13:43:46    2192886

Link

Replying To Singingtheblues:  "Just on a side note..the crowds I witness out last week for the champion league final was phenomenal..interest was huge but I never even hear anyone talking about louth or the gaa in general..is it just me or is it just in louth that soccer is king and interest in the gaa is dead..kids dont want to play it anymore"
This needs to be highlighted to the GAA. They made such a fuss about saving the GAA from soccer in Dublin and threw limitless funds at them. Let's see how much they care about Louth. Just so you know lads it's the same in every leinster county bar Dublin. There's no hope and the GAA don't care. Something extreme needs to happen. If counties got together and threatened a breakaway to form their own championship minus Dublin we wouldn't be long seeing all their funds redistributed to everyone else.

In 2016 Dublin GAA took it 4.2m in revenue and had a profit of 500k. I think their total bank balance showed funds of 7m sitting in their account. Imagine how high it is now after winning 2 more all Irelands. They clearly don't need all the funds they receive as their revenue from sponsorship and other means is so high. So it begs the question why do they continue to get so much while neighbours are left to rot?

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2899 - 10/06/2019 17:26:43    2193085

Link

If everyone here is serious, come up with names of people who would take over at CB level. Hard to get people to stand up

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 10/06/2019 20:34:12    2193185

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "This needs to be highlighted to the GAA. They made such a fuss about saving the GAA from soccer in Dublin and threw limitless funds at them. Let's see how much they care about Louth. Just so you know lads it's the same in every leinster county bar Dublin. There's no hope and the GAA don't care. Something extreme needs to happen. If counties got together and threatened a breakaway to form their own championship minus Dublin we wouldn't be long seeing all their funds redistributed to everyone else.

In 2016 Dublin GAA took it 4.2m in revenue and had a profit of 500k. I think their total bank balance showed funds of 7m sitting in their account. Imagine how high it is now after winning 2 more all Irelands. They clearly don't need all the funds they receive as their revenue from sponsorship and other means is so high. So it begs the question why do they continue to get so much while neighbours are left to rot?"
It seems like the GAA spotted years ago that Dublin would be the cash cow if they got ahead of soccer, they've done that and now we're talking about 7 million in accounts...we have no chance in Lenister, and it looks like more or less the same for the rest. Dublin scored 5-21 on Louth, 26 scores. And they got 26 scores against Kildare, yet Kildare would hammer Louth.
Something drastic needs to happen such as all the counties in Leinster bar Dublin need to "Opt Out" of next year's competition.
Only then will the GAA take notice. Dublin are a professional team at this stage in my eyes, Millions in accounts, half the team on Ads on telly, Londis , Supervalu etc, they all drive sponsored cars. It's like Liverpool against Dundalk. If we all stick together and refuse to play in Lenister until it's addressed we have a starting point

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 89 - 10/06/2019 20:42:50    2193194

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "It seems like the GAA spotted years ago that Dublin would be the cash cow if they got ahead of soccer, they've done that and now we're talking about 7 million in accounts...we have no chance in Lenister, and it looks like more or less the same for the rest. Dublin scored 5-21 on Louth, 26 scores. And they got 26 scores against Kildare, yet Kildare would hammer Louth.
Something drastic needs to happen such as all the counties in Leinster bar Dublin need to "Opt Out" of next year's competition.
Only then will the GAA take notice. Dublin are a professional team at this stage in my eyes, Millions in accounts, half the team on Ads on telly, Londis , Supervalu etc, they all drive sponsored cars. It's like Liverpool against Dundalk. If we all stick together and refuse to play in Lenister until it's addressed we have a starting point"
If all counties opted out the Dublin guy who's president of the GAA would use it as an excuse to start a tier 2 competition. What needs to happen is every team that plays Dublin in Leinster gives them a walk over. Everyone else plays each other but when you draw Dublin forfeit the match and use lack of funding you receive as the reason. Highlight what you get vs Dublin and how you are cash strapped unlike them. Back the GAA into a corner.

Sadly I can't see any county board embracing that sort of attention.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2899 - 11/06/2019 01:01:19    2193301

Link

This has to be a watershed moment. And sometimes it takes a "Final Nail" for that watershed moment to happen. To anyone who has power or a position of authority for the administration of GAA games in our county, please, please, please recognise this and go right back to the drawing board involving anybody in the county who wants to help to fix what is and let's not hide behind it, "Our GAA games, player development and competitions in the County, right from underage / primary schools all the way to senior inter county are broken and light years away from what is now required in order to compete". Everybody who hopefully gets a chance to be involved in fixing this need to be solution focused, very easy just to blurt our what's broken / wrong. Hers just a small list, what's broken - solution.

1) Club competitions in Louth at underage and adult level not competitive enough and players not playing competitively as other counties e.g. Monaghan and Meath just as examples.

Ensure that all players are playing a game at least once every 10 days. Look at current situation, club players in Louth haven't played a game in a month at a time of the year when that's all players want to do. Meath and Monaghan flat out playing league. Don't hold up club activity to serve the County, it reduces standards and this happening year after year has a huge negative compound affect.

Solution, play more games.

(2) Investment not on par with other counties.

Solution, effectively fund raise, seek wealthy individuals to get involved

Add to the list please, what's broken - solution

Red2017 (Louth) - Posts: 95 - 11/06/2019 09:58:07    2193361

Link

I for 1 think we have too many clubs in Louth. I would be in favour of amalgamation with another club to drive the county team on. I am not one for club before county as this will fizzle out eventually and there will be no club due to dwindling numbers of interested kids in the Gaa. Cul camps suggest otherwise but these are now being used as babysitting services . Not enough kids playing Gaa now and it will get worse especially in urban areas. No competition for places and the coaching and training in Louth is fair but no where near good enough. I will be shot for mentioning the A word but fact is there are too many clubs barely fielding at every level.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1504 - 11/06/2019 14:41:17    2193520

Link

Where are these posters

19616609, LaLu and WheresDeBallBag ?

THE_SNAPPER (Louth) - Posts: 2008 - 11/06/2019 20:36:48    2193677

Link

Looking at other inter county players it strikes me how well conditioned they are both mentally and physically..we look so small and weak in comparison..players are only half arsed challenging their opponents and we always seem to make the wrong decisions when in possession of the ball..I know they try to do their best but I would have to question the method our coaches are using.its been going on for years and it definitely isnt working.results alone prove that and I know extra finance would help.we need to see how other counties go about their coaching and how they implement them..its worth a go surely

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 37 - 11/06/2019 21:09:18    2193685

Link

Replying To Singingtheblues:  "Looking at other inter county players it strikes me how well conditioned they are both mentally and physically..we look so small and weak in comparison..players are only half arsed challenging their opponents and we always seem to make the wrong decisions when in possession of the ball..I know they try to do their best but I would have to question the method our coaches are using.its been going on for years and it definitely isnt working.results alone prove that and I know extra finance would help.we need to see how other counties go about their coaching and how they implement them..its worth a go surely"
The group that met to get the new championship format has already met about fundraising to try to surf things out, they are going to push to have the recent report by David Rodgers implemented and will seek to raise funds to support our younger teams. They will be totally independent from the county board.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 11/06/2019 21:56:11    2193708

Link

Oh I am here and still laughing at how you attempted to spell exception on another forum. Forget football and attempt literacy....

LaLu (Louth) - Posts: 203 - 12/06/2019 00:30:54    2193768

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "Why did Kelly not get the 2o's ? Because he would have wanted to do it correctly and they knew that would cost a few quid. He should be asked back into the fold in some capacity. What about the David Rodgers report? Why was that binned? Because it would have cost a few quid. Why didn't an ex player with a profile get the new admin role? you got it cost."
What happened in Phillipstown?

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1361 - 12/06/2019 09:37:10    2193818

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "The group that met to get the new championship format has already met about fundraising to try to surf things out, they are going to push to have the recent report by David Rodgers implemented and will seek to raise funds to support our younger teams. They will be totally independent from the county board."
This sounds like a shadow cabinet, very intriguing.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 12/06/2019 10:16:30    2193827

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "What happened in Phillipstown?"
I'm not sure what happened to be honest maybe someone from Kevin's might expand on that, but my point was really about him not been interviewed or asked to get involved by the current top table that's all.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 12/06/2019 10:35:33    2193837

Link

They cant even run the 2nd divison leagues properly.

All clubs should boycott the next round of fixtures until theirs a full list for the rest of the year

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 849 - 12/06/2019 13:49:51    2193930

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "Why did Kelly not get the 2o's ? Because he would have wanted to do it correctly and they knew that would cost a few quid. He should be asked back into the fold in some capacity. What about the David Rodgers report? Why was that binned? Because it would have cost a few quid. Why didn't an ex player with a profile get the new admin role? you got it cost."
In response to Chubbys post above
1. Clash of personalities was over-riding reason why Kelly wasn't interviewed for U20 position. Yes if he got the job you can be guaranteed he would have prepared the team properly and maybe it would have cost a few more quid. County Board are now reaping what they've sown with their choice of U20 management. This group is the same team who reached the Leinster Minor Final two years ago - our first minor final in almost 50 years. They should have been prepared diligently over the last two years in preparation for this competition. Instead we have the shambles that's there for everyone to see. Why has this being allowed to happen??
2. Its fairly common knowledge that Colm Nally turned down the Senior Managers role as he knows he couldn't do the job properly under the current administration. He chose instead to take on a No.2 role with our bitter rivals Meath. Why has this being allowed to happen??
3. David Rogers Strategic Review Group's report of a couple of years ago was not acted upon. Why has this being allowed to happen??

4. Can you expand further Chubby on your point about an ex-player not getting a new admin role?

What (or who) is the common denominator in all of this??
If Louth GAA people genuinely care about what's happening to the game in our county then they must contact their clubs and club delegates and mandate them to ask these questions at next Monday nights postponed County Board meeting. Perhaps there was a valid reason for this weeks meetings sudden cancelation but I'm sceptical. Perhaps there was a school of thought that another week might dampen or dilute the strong feelings that currently prevail amongst many Louth Gaels.

northroader (Louth) - Posts: 104 - 12/06/2019 16:32:07    2194018

Link

Replying To northroader:  "In response to Chubbys post above
1. Clash of personalities was over-riding reason why Kelly wasn't interviewed for U20 position. Yes if he got the job you can be guaranteed he would have prepared the team properly and maybe it would have cost a few more quid. County Board are now reaping what they've sown with their choice of U20 management. This group is the same team who reached the Leinster Minor Final two years ago - our first minor final in almost 50 years. They should have been prepared diligently over the last two years in preparation for this competition. Instead we have the shambles that's there for everyone to see. Why has this being allowed to happen??
2. Its fairly common knowledge that Colm Nally turned down the Senior Managers role as he knows he couldn't do the job properly under the current administration. He chose instead to take on a No.2 role with our bitter rivals Meath. Why has this being allowed to happen??
3. David Rogers Strategic Review Group's report of a couple of years ago was not acted upon. Why has this being allowed to happen??

4. Can you expand further Chubby on your point about an ex-player not getting a new admin role?

What (or who) is the common denominator in all of this??
If Louth GAA people genuinely care about what's happening to the game in our county then they must contact their clubs and club delegates and mandate them to ask these questions at next Monday nights postponed County Board meeting. Perhaps there was a valid reason for this weeks meetings sudden cancelation but I'm sceptical. Perhaps there was a school of thought that another week might dampen or dilute the strong feelings that currently prevail amongst many Louth Gaels."
Yes one of our greatest went for the interview not sure if got second one or not, had the relevant experience but was deemed to outspoken I suspect. Also heard EX ceo of Dundalk FC didn't get second interview.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 12/06/2019 17:55:02    2194057

Link