Louth Forum

Final Nail In The Coffin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We need to have a real hard look at ourselves here and be brutally honest with each other..for THIRTY YEARS our county board has looked on and done nothing to address the state of louth football..with the odd exception at underage football we are continually knocked out every year at the very first hurdle.we fail to deliver any teams that play as a team or the physical presence to stand up to their opponents..we are a laughing stock tbh..serious questions also need to be asked about the coaching staff within the county,,what exactly are they doing because results show unfortunately not to much..the present louth team especially the forwards are to small and to light and will never ever win a 50/50 ball..thats the way its been for a few years now and believe me the gaa is in a terrible state in this county..kids and their parents have no interest in it anymore..I feel the damage is done..that just my take on it..im been honest and dont mean to be disrespectful to anyone but it pains me to see how low we have come..thats all folks

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 38 - 09/06/2019 07:53:28    2192004

Link

For some time now I've been mocked for highlighting this.

Anyone who thinks that a new stadium is gonna be the answer is greatly mistaken, just forget about it cause any one of the grounds within the county are good enough for Louth for a long long time into the foreseeable future.

THE_SNAPPER (Louth) - Posts: 2008 - 09/06/2019 12:49:44    2192125

Link

Let's be honest, Louth never won anything when they had decent players, I would say this is the worst team we have had for a long time. The stats for yesterday's game , 4 times we kicked the ball into the keepers hands, twice we hit the post and we had 13 wides. The forwards are very poor and we no longer have a reliable free taker. The majority of our forwards chip in with one point per game. Andy McDonnell was our highest scorer yesterday and he went off at half time.

It is very depressing and I don't see any quick fix.

MiddleofLouth (Louth) - Posts: 77 - 09/06/2019 15:23:26    2192171

Link

Well as I said it pains me to say it but we are the worst team in ireland and nobody can tell me otherwise..we have been a mile behind other teams for years.u can now say were a million miles behind..from the very top at county board we have mediocre and total neglect for years and it has finally come home and bit everyone on the arse..we are a laughing stock and the damage I think is irreparable

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 38 - 09/06/2019 15:33:09    2192173

Link

I was at the Cure yesterday and missed the game and thank god i did. But between Robert Smiths depressing lyrics, these posts on the sorry state of Louth football and my hangover this is not a good day.
But more seriously it is so sad to be out of the cship in the 1st week in June.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1508 - 09/06/2019 16:08:13    2192197

Link

Look. We are always giving out about the state of Louth Football Club and County and anybody that gives out are blacklisted by the County Board.
The fact of the matter is that we have people running Louth GAA and they are there to long. We have a top table full of the same people year in year out and just sit there and nod there head and say yes sir and these are grown men afraid to open their mouths, but I dont blame them one bit as they are the only ones putting their names forward for a position.
Clubs dont care and they just dont have the interest in doing anything about it. If any of you go to a county board meeting you will see that 90 per cent of the delegates are fellas that dont get a job in their clubs and more than likely they get to be the delegate as no body else wants it and then they go to a meeting and dont open their mouth and fall asleep for a while. The ones that do open their mouth are quickly shut up and no backing from the rest of the delegates. It reminds me of a classroom and the teacher cracking the whip to keep noisy ones in the classroom quiet.

There is clubs in this county better run than the CB.

It's now time for the clubs to step up as they are the only ones that can do anything about it. If they dont step up well then stop complaining and get on with it.

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 09/06/2019 17:14:30    2192232

Link

Just on a side note..the crowds I witness out last week for the champion league final was phenomenal..interest was huge but I never even hear anyone talking about louth or the gaa in general..is it just me or is it just in louth that soccer is king and interest in the gaa is dead..kids dont want to play it anymore

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 38 - 09/06/2019 18:04:48    2192256

Link

Just on a side note the crowds I seen out watching the champion league final was phenomenal and the interest was huge but when louth is playing or a gaa match is on in general u hardly hear a word about it.maybe im just in the wrong places but interest in our national sport is at an all time low..kids I know have no interest in the gaa at all and sadly that has to have repercussion for clubs and county

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 38 - 09/06/2019 18:16:54    2192262

Link

Leaving carrick on Shannon last summer after a second half hammering by Leitrim, I didn't think I'd seen a worse Louth performance ever .

Last night topped that , send half was embarrassing to watch , clueless as a team from 1 to 15.

louthman57 (Louth) - Posts: 266 - 09/06/2019 18:27:37    2192278

Link

No not just you, the only kids that now play Gaa are kids of gaels. Very little interest from non gaelic families. But would you blame them. We are a 4th choice behind, soccer, rugby, play station and if there is nothing else we might play gaelic football. I said it previously that the 2010 debacle and the fact that we have no natural home ground for kids to aspire to play in has set us way back to probably being the worst team in the country.
Anyway there will be a few more nasty pitiful posts about yesterdays game and by tuesday it will be old news. We will return to watch an even worse club scene and before you know it it will be time for the obyrne cup.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1508 - 09/06/2019 18:55:58    2192303

Link

I dont blame the players yesterday. These boys commit to the cause since last October and they are good and decent lads. Maybe just maybe the Management are out of their depth. Not really sure if they had a game plan and we were outclassed everywhere on the field. Leaving some of our more experienced players on the line didn't help but really would not have made a difference. Fair play to the supporters as they came out in good numbers.

To be beaten two years in a row in by Div 4 teams is worrying. Leitrim last year and now Antrim and to be honest Wexford should have beaten us a few weeks ago

Please Please Please someone help us

Northlouth (Louth) - Posts: 93 - 09/06/2019 19:50:33    2192341

Link

I lived in Dundalk for 3 years. I never played football in Louth other than training but know a lot of lads who play GAA in the town including with competitive senior clubs and although the Louth-Meath rivalry is bitter and often aggressive, I have a soft spot for Louth. I travelled home to play with my home club in Meath and its a different world. Lads without being smart and Im not having a dig as a Meath man but the stuff I saw in Louth GAA circles was crazy. The level of interest was very moderate. Mostly lads were playing as a hobby, and often seemed to play bizarro weekend soccer too which was mind boggling. Lads would be scrambling on Fridays with texts to field teams etc for the weekend. Their level of fitness and conditioning and their approach to success was just not there. They were drinking teams. The other thing that I found crazy was that some clubs basically cover a few housing estates and theres way too many of them squashed into town boundaries. They all just field lads that show up. There's no community spirit. How these clubs can even field teams and aspire to build strong foundations is beyond me. In Dundalk I saw a soccer mad haven. I never seen such a big town with such a huge amount of clubs and nothing to show for it. It blows my mind. Its a bizarre spot where the GAA just does not seem to be a part of the community conversation outside of a strict zealous minority.

Young_gael (Meath) - Posts: 186 - 09/06/2019 21:02:16    2192398

Link

Ist time I ever agreed with a Meath man on a Louth forum.
100% correct Young Gael

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1508 - 09/06/2019 23:03:00    2192503

Link

Replying To Northlouth:  "I dont blame the players yesterday. These boys commit to the cause since last October and they are good and decent lads. Maybe just maybe the Management are out of their depth. Not really sure if they had a game plan and we were outclassed everywhere on the field. Leaving some of our more experienced players on the line didn't help but really would not have made a difference. Fair play to the supporters as they came out in good numbers.

To be beaten two years in a row in by Div 4 teams is worrying. Leitrim last year and now Antrim and to be honest Wexford should have beaten us a few weeks ago

Please Please Please someone help us"
The problem lies with the top, lets just call it out, a lot of folk here blaming this or that but it starts t the top, with the current bunch our teams have no support, no resources behind them. Darvor is a dump, a dump that you're not allowed use belief it or not. 20's not allowed train until March as it would cost to much to provide curry's for them after training I heard, that's why players wouldn't go in as they knew how far they would be behind other counties, minors pulled out of the shield after losing to Wicklow why? same thing cost. our seniors come and go as they please for training and this is accepted, but it all comes from the top, if we had a progressive county board that allows our teams prep correctly you would get more buy in form players and the standards will rise. Allow all our county teams prep like other counties then we can constructively criticise people that are involved.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 70 - 10/06/2019 09:01:05    2192588

Link

There is not much can be added to this thread , Saturday was torture Carlow last year Leitrim Last year its worrying how there can be any positive spin put on this, tactically we were clueless played with 2 forwards chasing the game, the power speed and fitness of Antrim was in a different level to ours and I am talking ANTRIM Div 4 who by all accounts talking to a few on the way up the north road sat Antrim football is on its knees and they still destroyed us. When the Antrim forwards got a sight of the posts they shot we passed and passed and went backwards nobody with the balls to take on a shot and when they did the accuracy was poor. There was no aggression no fight no tactics offered nothing in attack as we played without forwards when you play such a tactic and you overturn possession the principle is that you attack with pace and numbers like Dublin Donegal not Louth I an fed up of this year in year out.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 115 - 10/06/2019 09:13:30    2192592

Link

So many good games this year and they let themselves down on Saturday.

Decky and Sam are not working upfront in my opinion.

We need 4 times the number of coaches in the county.

Grounds is a help that we don't have to go to Drogheda from 2021!

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 10/06/2019 10:20:07    2192651

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "The problem lies with the top, lets just call it out, a lot of folk here blaming this or that but it starts t the top, with the current bunch our teams have no support, no resources behind them. Darvor is a dump, a dump that you're not allowed use belief it or not. 20's not allowed train until March as it would cost to much to provide curry's for them after training I heard, that's why players wouldn't go in as they knew how far they would be behind other counties, minors pulled out of the shield after losing to Wicklow why? same thing cost. our seniors come and go as they please for training and this is accepted, but it all comes from the top, if we had a progressive county board that allows our teams prep correctly you would get more buy in form players and the standards will rise. Allow all our county teams prep like other counties then we can constructively criticise people that are involved."
I was told yesterday that the coaches had to provide food to players after the matches as CB wouldn't when asked, no provision for training gear or match day attire. Our U20s are looking at players and coaches from Cavan, Antrim and Derry kitted out uniformly and they warming up like a raggle-taggle outfit. Sure is it any wonder young lads are dettered from turning out? It's a sad day when good up-and-coming U20 players are playing second division league matches rather than opting to turn out for their county. Players treated appallingly and it'll only get worse once we are saddled with the debt for this new ground because when it comes to capital projects, as sure as the sun rises in the east, the county's clubs will be paying for it in some shape or form.

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 283 - 10/06/2019 11:32:22    2192736

Link

Why did Kelly not get the 2o's ? Because he would have wanted to do it correctly and they knew that would cost a few quid. He should be asked back into the fold in some capacity. What about the David Rodgers report? Why was that binned? Because it would have cost a few quid. Why didn't an ex player with a profile get the new admin role? you got it cost.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 70 - 10/06/2019 11:48:23    2192751

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "The problem lies with the top, lets just call it out, a lot of folk here blaming this or that but it starts t the top, with the current bunch our teams have no support, no resources behind them. Darvor is a dump, a dump that you're not allowed use belief it or not. 20's not allowed train until March as it would cost to much to provide curry's for them after training I heard, that's why players wouldn't go in as they knew how far they would be behind other counties, minors pulled out of the shield after losing to Wicklow why? same thing cost. our seniors come and go as they please for training and this is accepted, but it all comes from the top, if we had a progressive county board that allows our teams prep correctly you would get more buy in form players and the standards will rise. Allow all our county teams prep like other counties then we can constructively criticise people that are involved."
I was told yesterday that the coaches had to provide food to players after the matches as CB wouldn't when asked, no provision for training gear or match day attire. Our U20s are looking at players and coaches from Cavan, Antrim and Derry kitted out uniformly and they warming up like a raggle-taggle outfit. Sure is it any wonder young lads are dettered from turning out? It's a sad day when good up-and-coming U20 players are playing second division league matches rather than opting to turn out for their county. Players treated appallingly and it'll only get worse once we are saddled with the debt for this new ground because when it comes to capital projects, as sure as the sun rises in the east, the county's clubs will be paying for it in some shape or form.

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 283 - 10/06/2019 11:51:04    2192755

Link

Replying To SmallBoy:  "I was told yesterday that the coaches had to provide food to players after the matches as CB wouldn't when asked, no provision for training gear or match day attire. Our U20s are looking at players and coaches from Cavan, Antrim and Derry kitted out uniformly and they warming up like a raggle-taggle outfit. Sure is it any wonder young lads are dettered from turning out? It's a sad day when good up-and-coming U20 players are playing second division league matches rather than opting to turn out for their county. Players treated appallingly and it'll only get worse once we are saddled with the debt for this new ground because when it comes to capital projects, as sure as the sun rises in the east, the county's clubs will be paying for it in some shape or form."
This new stadium won't happen in my opinion as we are how many months down the line after the purchase of the land and I have yet to see 1 iota of fundraising done, the CB most likely plan to simply tax the clubs as they have always done.

Senior hurlers asked for food on the way to Mayo recently and on the way home, a reasonable request given the length of the journey and this was refused. I have heard of underage teams ie our development squads having problems with gear and equipment also.

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 81 - 10/06/2019 12:10:29    2192777

Link