Louth Forum

2017 Inter Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To royalass:  "Following on from my earlier predictions - I have no change of mind, it will be a Collin v o' connells final with mattock coming out on top! Any other opinions????"
Yea oconnels collon final I predict. I expect oconnels to win well(4-5 points) with woods being well marshalled prob put you Jackie Agnew on him wil they?

Collon clans be a great game and could get fiesty. Two teams who don't believe they belong there. Can see mattock getting through with their younger players taking over responsibility from the two Reids. Will Christy come back to play a bit? Collon to shade it. Best of luck to all involved.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 13/09/2017 08:26:34    2045504

Link

Very hard to pick winners of the semi's between the four teams involved. My head would be telling me Mattock V O'Connells Final but my gut knows both games could go any way. Fionbarr's looked to be struggling with injuries and player numbers in their playoff match with Hunterstown last weekend while once the O'Connells men get a sniff of a championship they fully believe that no one is taking that from them and with a nice spread of speed, skill and power players across the field they can pose a tough challenge for any team on their day. All that being said you just can't write off the Togher thickness hey! Funnily enough this current crop were ignited by an O'Connells man in Wayne Kierans a few years ago and still seem to hold the believe that they can beat anyone and will fight to the end.

Mattock where my favorites for inter from very early on but definitely got the toughest side of the draw in the Clans. Out of the four teams remaining stylistically the Clans are the black (and white, Mon Da Town) sheep. They play a running game that, when they hit the right intensity, is hard to stop. If anyone can stop them it is Mattock with the pedigree and new blood coming through.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 14/09/2017 15:10:08    2045994

Link

I haven't seen Mattock much in the last few years are they capable of getting to and winning inter or are they still rebuilding? Clans have been trying to win an intermediate championship for what seems like 10 years.lost a few finals, I Dont think they are ever gonna get over the line. I fancy to O'Connell's to make the final and win it.they have won it maybe 5 years ago, went to Lenistet final. Many if not most of those players are still there. They know what it takes to win

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 15/09/2017 08:04:45    2046137

Link

Tonight throwing in at 8.00 pm at the Jocks pitch is the relegation play-off final between D.Y.I and the Feckins. Both of these sides made the quarter-finals last year so it's a bit of a surprise that both teams are in the final. I tipped the Feckins to win Inter at the start of the campaign.

Feckins v D.Y.I..............................Feckins.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12157 - 15/09/2017 13:39:17    2046228

Link

Finbars season has started to peter out a bit I feel. I'd fancy O'Connells to take them.
They've a bit more pace to them. Although if its a wet evening (as is likely), it could suit Finbars a bit more. Not much was expected of Finbars this year and I'm probably being too dismissive of them, despite the good season that they've had. They'll be eager to gain a bit of revenge on O'Connells for their earlier loss, but I can see the bit of experience winning it for the O'Connells by 3 points.

The other semi-final is tougher to call. But I suspect that the championship winners are coming from this one though. Both sides more than held their own in Division 1 this year, so the signs are already good for next season. Mattock have a decent sprinkling of youth in their side. My south Louth leanings and greater knowledge of Mattock are making me favour them in this one. I think they can go on and win the championship and re-establish themselves in senior over the next 3 or 4 years. Clans are a bit more hit and miss I think. I'm going with Mattock by 2 points

Whitey_Toppskin (Louth) - Posts: 60 - 15/09/2017 14:41:30    2046244

Link

Collon to pip the clans by 1/2 pts and the Finbarrs to shock the O' connells and sneak it

Colin66 (Louth) - Posts: 45 - 15/09/2017 15:10:14    2046252

Link

Replying To Colin66:  "Collon to pip the clans by 1/2 pts and the Finbarrs to shock the O' connells and sneak it"
Off to the bookies you go.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 15/09/2017 15:36:09    2046258

Link

Collon to pip the clans by 1/2 pts and the Finbarrs to shock the O' connells and sneak it

Colin66 (Louth) - Posts: 45 - 15/09/2017 16:14:49    2046267

Link

Last nights result:
Feckins 0-15 D.Y.I 2-08

The Feckins secure their Inter status for next year following their one point win over D.Y.I. The town side will be playing Junior for the first time in ten years.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12157 - 16/09/2017 11:01:57    2046394

Link

There is a double header in Haggardstown tonight as the Inter Championship reaches the semi-final stage. Up first at 6.45 pm is the clash of neighbours the Connells and Barrs. These two met in the group stage with the Togher men coming out on top in that one. The second match throws in at 8.15 pm and sees Mattock taking on the Clans. Both of these teams are the bookies favs to win the Inter so who ever wins this match will be favs to be playing senior next year.

Connells v Barrs.......................Connells
Mattock v Clans........................Mattock

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12157 - 16/09/2017 11:07:20    2046396

Link

Shocking treatment to all clubs involved tonight, how could the games not be called off sooner than a few mins before the first match. All other matches played today

Gicker01 (Louth) - Posts: 76 - 16/09/2017 18:55:37    2046484

Link

Replying To Gicker01:  "Shocking treatment to all clubs involved tonight, how could the games not be called off sooner than a few mins before the first match. All other matches played today"
Guess where the match in on next Friday?

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 16/09/2017 19:26:56    2046497

Link

Replying To MR:  "Guess where the match in on next Friday?"
Our Centre of Excellence?
I sincerely hope not. Be some fun with the logistics of parking etc. It will be a farce, but then again most things this County Board do are....

Louth17 (Louth) - Posts: 42 - 16/09/2017 20:10:48    2046511

Link

Both Inter semi finals were postponed due to the rain. Both matches will be refixed for this coming Friday.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12157 - 17/09/2017 09:43:07    2046592

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Both Inter semi finals were postponed due to the rain. Both matches will be refixed for this coming Friday."
Both games called off because the county board didn't bother checking the field after all the rain during the day! I seen league games on that field a few weeks ago and it seemed wet where other fields were dry! Then it was clearly wet last weekend but of course it would take common sense for the county board to look at the field! If it was checked at 5pm all games could of been moved to another field no problem! Even when the first game was cancelled there was still enough time to change the second game! Delay it 15 mins so that anyone who arrives in the Ger's has time to get to the new venue! Instead put the players out by a week, players had cut holidays short, got off work, planned weekends away next weekend etc. What happens if there is a draw in a semi final on Friday?? Is the final push back by a week also?

Lineballref (Louth) - Posts: 30 - 18/09/2017 12:05:14    2047382

Link

Replying To Lineballref:  "Both games called off because the county board didn't bother checking the field after all the rain during the day! I seen league games on that field a few weeks ago and it seemed wet where other fields were dry! Then it was clearly wet last weekend but of course it would take common sense for the county board to look at the field! If it was checked at 5pm all games could of been moved to another field no problem! Even when the first game was cancelled there was still enough time to change the second game! Delay it 15 mins so that anyone who arrives in the Ger's has time to get to the new venue! Instead put the players out by a week, players had cut holidays short, got off work, planned weekends away next weekend etc. What happens if there is a draw in a semi final on Friday?? Is the final push back by a week also?"
Any suggestions for an alternative venue st such late notice

FBC (Louth) - Posts: 101 - 18/09/2017 13:03:51    2047429

Link

Geraldines, Naomh Mairtin, Dreadnots and Clans are the only championship ground with match lights as far as I am aware and the Gers are not the only ones of those that are taking champ games this year. Surely there just should have been a check earlier in the day and a champ ref could have came and checked it.

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 18/09/2017 14:04:04    2047475

Link

Replying To Lineballref:  "Both games called off because the county board didn't bother checking the field after all the rain during the day! I seen league games on that field a few weeks ago and it seemed wet where other fields were dry! Then it was clearly wet last weekend but of course it would take common sense for the county board to look at the field! If it was checked at 5pm all games could of been moved to another field no problem! Even when the first game was cancelled there was still enough time to change the second game! Delay it 15 mins so that anyone who arrives in the Ger's has time to get to the new venue! Instead put the players out by a week, players had cut holidays short, got off work, planned weekends away next weekend etc. What happens if there is a draw in a semi final on Friday?? Is the final push back by a week also?"
we can blame who we like but the rain that fell in the Dundalk area from 3pm was unreal. You could have taken the games no where else at that stage.

sharpey (Louth) - Posts: 193 - 18/09/2017 15:42:13    2047536

Link

Replying To sharpey:  "we can blame who we like but the rain that fell in the Dundalk area from 3pm was unreal. You could have taken the games no where else at that stage."
Same heavy down pours in Stabannon non stop all evening and it took a game no problem. County board tried not to be fixing two important games early on a Saturday where their hands where tied for time slots. They had to go for lights. It would have been play them earlier in Stabannon, with that there would have been a torrent of that's a disgrace so early lads have work comments. So they tried to give the people what they want and they are still the bad guys. If these lads are so bad at their jobs why is no one putting their name in the ring to replace them?

WheresDeBallBag (Louth) - Posts: 449 - 18/09/2017 16:41:37    2047583

Link

The rearranged Inter semi-finals takes place tonight. Fingers crossed that the rain holds off. Both matches are throwing up at 8.00 pm. At the Joes is the clash of neighbours the Connells and Barrs. These two met in the group stage with the Togher men coming out on top in that one. In Darver Mattock takes on the Clans. Both of these teams are the bookies favs to win the Inter so who ever wins this match will be favs to be playing senior next year.

Connells v Barrs.......................Connells
Mattock v Clans........................Mattock

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12157 - 22/09/2017 10:29:13    2049265

Link