Leitrim Forum

County Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Now that there's a fresh start management wise what players have been impressing so far in the championship or what sort of panel do you think Terry Hyland should pick? Personally I think he should have upwards on 45 players in over the winter completing a proper structured S&C programme. This will give everyone the perfect opportunity to showcase their talents especially if they are physically able to do so. It will also drag up the standard of Leitrim club football as the ones who are eventually cut will go back to their clubs in better shape and with something to improve.

From the top of my head players that were not involved last year and need to be brought in this year and looked at are Shane Moran, Gary Plunkett, Thomas Mulvey, Pearce Dolan, Daire Farrell, Conor Farrell, Gary Reynolds, Harkins, Sean Flanagan, Johnny Connolly, Fergal McTague, Niall McGovern, Ciaran Cullen, Conor Dolan, Conor Cullen, Sean McWeeney, Caleb Duffy, Robbie Cunningham. This is along with Jack Gilheany and Aaron Hoare who were brought in to make sure we had a full panel at the end of last year.

I'm not saying all of these players will make it as senior county footballers in 2019 but putting them into a S&C programme over the winter and having a look at them during the FBD and challenge games can do no harm. There is 5 or 6 in that group that just have to be convinced to commit though. Leitrim have to have their best payers on the panel that has to be our starting point.

We also have to remember that the likes of Paddy McGuire, Cillian McGloin, Mark Plunkett, Domhnail Flynnn and Emlyn Mulligan, Ronan Kennedy all didn't have a full pre-season or even play the league in some cases for various reasons so with a proper S&C plan over the winter and the addition of a few missing players we should be getting an automatic improvement next year. That's even before you consider whatever experience/tactics the new management will bring, along with the rate of development some of our players have been showing in the last year.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 24/08/2018 13:06:52    2136258

Link

Wishing the new management team well. Just hope everyone called in is in a position to commit because we need everyone capable of playing county involved we can't afford to be missing anyone with our limited pick.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 26/08/2018 11:45:42    2136597

Link

Pearce Dolan, Shane Moran, Gary Plunkett, Conor Cullen, Ciaran Cullen, Daire Farrell, Thomas Mulvey are all necessary additions to the panel next year. They must be convinced to join the set up and if there were even two players of Leitrim descent playing in Dublin or elsewhere that would be up to standard along with last year's panel it would be an ideal starting point.

In my view from the team last year we need another midfielder a centre back and probably one other defensive player. The competition for places in the forward line should drive everyone to new standards next year.

Paddy McGuire, Shane Quinn and Michael McWeeney are three guaranteed starting defenders. At this stage I think we have to leave Donal Wrynn at Full back with McGuire and McWeeney in the corners beside him. You then have Shane Quinn who was last year's best player at wing back/sweeper so then we need to find/develop a centre back and I think another wing back. Could Gary Reynolds be an option? He still starts at centre back for Oliver Plunketts in Dublin which I think we all agree is a greater standard than Leitrim football. He would need to work on his mobility and speed if he was to come back in though but if he did it would solve a massive issue at centre back.

Try picking 6 forwards out of this. I guarantee nobody will agree:
Ryan O'Rourke, Jack Heslin, Mark Plunkett, Darragh Rooney, Keith Beirne, Shane Moran, Emlyn Mulligan, Pearce Dolan, Cillian McGloin, Gary Plunkett, Ronan Kennedy, Aidan Flynn

The age old excuse that we fall back on "that we don't have enough players of county standard" should now be seen as bullshit especially in relation to Division Four football which is our starting point.
*Remember we are also missing Kevin Conlan and Paul Brennan out of all these names who should have been in their prime now and proven that they can mix it with Division One footballers.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 28/08/2018 12:11:28    2137057

Link

I agree we need our best 20 players committing. The FBD can not be seen as a compitition to try new players out this has to be done in Nov/Dec as we need to use the FBD as proper preparation for the league if we are serious about getting out of Div 4. Personally I think this is our best 15 that we need to try and convince to play for leitrim this year
1. McKiernan
2.Maguire
3. Rynn
4. McWeeney
5. Quinn
6. D McGovern
7. O Madden
8. M.Plunkett
9. P Dolan
10. D Rooney
11. Mulligan
12. R Mulvey (savage pace)
13. K Bernie
14. Conor Beirne
15. Ryan O Rourke

That imo is the best 15 in the county. Obviously a couple of them unlightly to commit. Other players shane Moran, jack Heslin, Damien Moran, Aiden Flynn, Ciaran Cullen, Garry Plunkett, im sure I'm missing a few players as well.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 151 - 28/08/2018 13:41:28    2137111

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I agree we need our best 20 players committing. The FBD can not be seen as a compitition to try new players out this has to be done in Nov/Dec as we need to use the FBD as proper preparation for the league if we are serious about getting out of Div 4. Personally I think this is our best 15 that we need to try and convince to play for leitrim this year
1. McKiernan
2.Maguire
3. Rynn
4. McWeeney
5. Quinn
6. D McGovern
7. O Madden
8. M.Plunkett
9. P Dolan
10. D Rooney
11. Mulligan
13. K Bernie
14. Conor Beirne
15. Ryan O Rourke

That imo is the best 15 in the county. Obviously a couple of them unlightly to commit. Other players shane Moran, jack Heslin, Damien Moran, Aiden Flynn, Ciaran Cullen, Garry Plunkett, im sure I'm missing a few players as well."
Have you seen Mulligan play this year? He is not near the same player he was few a couple years ago

LeitrimLoyal (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 28/08/2018 14:30:54    2137129

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I agree we need our best 20 players committing. The FBD can not be seen as a compitition to try new players out this has to be done in Nov/Dec as we need to use the FBD as proper preparation for the league if we are serious about getting out of Div 4. Personally I think this is our best 15 that we need to try and convince to play for leitrim this year
1. McKiernan
2.Maguire
3. Rynn
4. McWeeney
5. Quinn
6. D McGovern
7. O Madden
8. M.Plunkett
9. P Dolan
10. D Rooney
11. Mulligan
13. K Bernie
14. Conor Beirne
15. Ryan O Rourke

That imo is the best 15 in the county. Obviously a couple of them unlightly to commit. Other players shane Moran, jack Heslin, Damien Moran, Aiden Flynn, Ciaran Cullen, Garry Plunkett, im sure I'm missing a few players as well."
Excellent team in fairness. Put Tomas Beirne midfield and move Mark Plunkett in the half forward line to replace Mulligan for me though

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 28/08/2018 15:15:02    2137149

Link

McKiernan
Paddy Wrynn McWeeney
Quinn Keegan/Flynn Plunkett/Madden
Dolan
McGovern
Heslin Plunkett O'Rourke
K.Beirne Moran Plunkett

I'd go with something like this. Not perfect and playing Keegan at Centre back may seem very random but he played here at U21 level and has a good burst of speed, Aidan Flynn also did very well in half back line when moved there against Monaghan who are streets ahead of any Div 4 team so with good coaching he might be able to adapt cause no.6 has been a serious problem for a while. Quinn was also brilliant at protecting the full back line last year so he should be able to cover either of them. Shane Moran can also at times drop out and help around the middle third while leaving space for others. And Plunkett can at times act as a third midfielder if needed. O'Rourke and Heslins pace will be important as it is something we are not blessed with. The rate of scoring that the third Plunkett has been accumulating this year can't be ignored and god knows why it was last year. Excites me to think that we could be bringing on Mulligan/Rooney/McGloin when the game opens up. If McGloin and Rooney keep developing they could be stars of Leitrim football for ten years they are still both U20 we have to remember. Aaron Hoare, Jack Gilheany and Conor Cullen should also be pushing on this year to. The likes of the youngest Cullen, the Harkins, Jordan Reynolds, Fergal McTague should all be given a chance to showcase their talents and if they are deemed not ready they should be kept in and around the panel and their S&C monitored and not just cut adrift for the year.

Jack Heslin, Mark Plunkett, O'Rourke, McGloin, Madden, Rooney, Dolan, McGovern, Hoare, Both Cullens, Gilheaney, the Harkins, Mitchell are all between 18 and 22. Leadership/patience is going to be vital if they are going to fulfill their potential. From October to January they need to be doing S&C work atleast 3 nights a week if they are going to become the footballers they have the potential to be. I agree with other posters on the likes of Conor Beirne and Ray Mulvey etc. Their talent is undoubted but talent is not enough to get by at inter-county level anymore whether we like it or not and what Terry Hyland will have to assess is if having them in will slow down or hinder the development of some of these younger players.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 28/08/2018 16:10:25    2137184

Link

1. McKiernan
2.Maguire
3. Rynn
4. McWeeney
5. Quinn
6. D McGovern
7. O Madden
8. M.Plunkett
9. P Dolan
10. D Rooney
11. Mulligan
13. K Bernie
14. Conor Beirne
15. Ryan O Rourke

A very strong team on paper but I would have Damien Moran as one of the forwards. He has great ability to take scores from long distance which is a requirement for inter county football and takes some confidence . People said when he came on against Rossies when game was of reach and he hit 3 points, however his performance against Louth in a high pressure qualifier he was man of the match and hit some superb scores. We are blessed with some great forwards what we need is a few strong midfielders with big engines.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 29/08/2018 11:52:26    2137358

Link

Still think mulligan has a lot to offer maybe he hasn't the pace of a few years ago but when the chips were down in New York he kicked a couple of massive scores. Also any team we play will focus on stopping mulligan cause he's a high profile player which may benefit the other lads around them to get that split second longer on the ball.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 151 - 29/08/2018 12:22:43    2137370

Link

Roscommon man living in Blanch. Involved with Castleknock last 4 years. Strong word coming from senior team the last few weeks that Colm Neville will join panel when they resume back training. He has links to the Maguires I think in Drumkerrin and played with minors in 2012. Would be near the Dubs panel but hopefully he adds to the squad.

oranforsam89 (Roscommon) - Posts: 9 - 11/09/2018 22:58:37    2141119

Link

Here is the team from watching almost every club in the county this year that I would love to see Hyland try and go with;
1. B Flynn
2. M McWeeney
3. A Armstrong
4. C Canning
5. J Heslin
6. F McTague
7. A Flynn
8. M Plunkett
9. C Cullen
10. R O Rourke
11. E Mulligan
12. D Moran
13. G Plunkett
14. S Moran
15. P Dolan

Subs ;D McKiernan, P McGuire, J Mitchell, N McWeeney, C Farrell, D Flynn, C Dolan, K McGloin, D Rooney, C Gaffney, R Kennedy.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 12/09/2018 07:36:08    2141147

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Here is the team from watching almost every club in the county this year that I would love to see Hyland try and go with;
1. B Flynn
2. M McWeeney
3. A Armstrong
4. C Canning
5. J Heslin
6. F McTague
7. A Flynn
8. M Plunkett
9. C Cullen
10. R O Rourke
11. E Mulligan
12. D Moran
13. G Plunkett
14. S Moran
15. P Dolan

Subs ;D McKiernan, P McGuire, J Mitchell, N McWeeney, C Farrell, D Flynn, C Dolan, K McGloin, D Rooney, C Gaffney, R Kennedy."
Donal Wrynn is a definite starter on any leitrim team

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 13/09/2018 11:04:06    2141366

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Here is the team from watching almost every club in the county this year that I would love to see Hyland try and go with;
1. B Flynn
2. M McWeeney
3. A Armstrong
4. C Canning
5. J Heslin
6. F McTague
7. A Flynn
8. M Plunkett
9. C Cullen
10. R O Rourke
11. E Mulligan
12. D Moran
13. G Plunkett
14. S Moran
15. P Dolan

Subs ;D McKiernan, P McGuire, J Mitchell, N McWeeney, C Farrell, D Flynn, C Dolan, K McGloin, D Rooney, C Gaffney, R Kennedy."
Teams all wrong from the very first position!

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 13/09/2018 13:59:59    2141435

Link

If the rumors are true that the two lads from Castleknocks defence are going to join the panel things could really be looking up. A blind man could see that we have been crying out for a Centre back for a long time now. This could solve this. I have only put Aidan Flynn Midfield as I believe he could add the engine to the middle third that for all of McGoverns good attributes he just doesn't possess one yet. Flynn could also drop back to wing back if Shane Quinn is deployed as a sweeper again which would leave space for Plunkett or Pearce Dolan to then go to centrefield.
In my 30 years of watching Leitrim I have never seen us with such genuine depth especially in the attacking third.

A big winter is needed to catch up ground in the S&c department though.

Diarmuid McKiernan
Colm Neville Donal Wrynn Michael McWeeney
Shane Quinn Tom Quinn Paddy McGuire
Dean McGovern
Aidan Flynn
Jack Heslin Mark Plunkett Pearce Dolan
Keith Beirne Shane Moran Ryan O'Rourke

Benny Flynn
James Mitchell Alan Armstrong Noel Plunkett
James Rooney /Sean McWeeney Fergal McTague/Gary Reynolds Oisin Madden
Aaron Hoare/Jack Gilheany
Sean Flanagan
Conor Gaffney/Thomas Mulvey Killian McGloin/Nevin O'Donnell Conor Cullen/Ciaran Cullen
Emlyn Mulligan/Ronan Kennedy Darragh Rooney Gary Plunkett

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 13/09/2018 20:37:49    2141538

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "If the rumors are true that the two lads from Castleknocks defence are going to join the panel things could really be looking up. A blind man could see that we have been crying out for a Centre back for a long time now. This could solve this. I have only put Aidan Flynn Midfield as I believe he could add the engine to the middle third that for all of McGoverns good attributes he just doesn't possess one yet. Flynn could also drop back to wing back if Shane Quinn is deployed as a sweeper again which would leave space for Plunkett or Pearce Dolan to then go to centrefield.
In my 30 years of watching Leitrim I have never seen us with such genuine depth especially in the attacking third.

A big winter is needed to catch up ground in the S&c department though.

Diarmuid McKiernan
Colm Neville Donal Wrynn Michael McWeeney
Shane Quinn Tom Quinn Paddy McGuire
Dean McGovern
Aidan Flynn
Jack Heslin Mark Plunkett Pearce Dolan
Keith Beirne Shane Moran Ryan O'Rourke

Benny Flynn
James Mitchell Alan Armstrong Noel Plunkett
James Rooney /Sean McWeeney Fergal McTague/Gary Reynolds Oisin Madden
Aaron Hoare/Jack Gilheany
Sean Flanagan
Conor Gaffney/Thomas Mulvey Killian McGloin/Nevin O'Donnell Conor Cullen/Ciaran Cullen
Emlyn Mulligan/Ronan Kennedy Darragh Rooney Gary Plunkett"
Two Dublin based players no better than what we already have!! Not needed!!

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 13/09/2018 21:29:33    2141551

Link

Replying To Piratehooker:  "Two Dublin based players no better than what we already have!! Not needed!!"
Yeah, because Leitrim's defenders have been so good that we would turn up our noses at two lads who were on the Dublin O'Byrne cup panel in 2018 and have played in the Dublin county final in the last two years.

I understand supporters skepticism about some of the Dublin recruits we have got in the past but these two. Especially Quinn if you have seen him play or read reports would walk into our starting line-up. Received Castleknocks player of the year recently to.
http://hoganstand.com/county/dublin/article/index/265999

In my view they are the standard of player we need to be targeting from the Leitrim diaspora. Guaranteed starter in an area of the field where we have been really struggling. Would also show to the rest of the players that the new management team really mean business. In my view we all ready have one of the best man markers around in Paddy McGuire. Shane Quinn was outstanding this year in his role and Michael McWeeney is bringing to progress brilliantly to. Quinn and Neville could bring us to the next level if they committed as I believe we have enough forwards if they are developed adequately.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 14/09/2018 13:16:15    2141699

Link

Replying To Piratehooker:  "Two Dublin based players no better than what we already have!! Not needed!!"
Didn't Quinn play for Dublin in the FBD?That's a pretty high standard in my book.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 147 - 14/09/2018 13:18:47    2141700

Link

Replying To moesyzlack:  "Didn't Quinn play for Dublin in the FBD?That's a pretty high standard in my book."
Meant O Byrne cup.These 2 lads would be a huge addition in my opinion.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 147 - 15/09/2018 21:48:20    2141917

Link

One thing that we all can agree on is that we have a small pool of players so there is going to be no shocks when a panel is formed. The panel is going to be made up of 85% of the men that were on the panel last year and then the rest who didn't commit for various reasons. We can't let what happened last year occour once again were we all new that a lot of our top players weren't on the panel and then the management panicked before the New York game and drafted some of them in. That's not fair on all the players who fully committed or it even doesn't do the players that came in justice as they couldn't be anywhere near the required fitness of the rest. If we can get the likes of Quinn etc. from Dublin to drive up standards then great but what we really need are all our best talents to really commit themselves for a 2 year period under Hyland.
We need a full back which I believe Donal Wrynn can fill but many disagree, A Centre Back and a running midfielder. Our forwards unit is seriously exciting and we are going to have some big names on the bench which is great to see as competition drives standards up.

It might be Pie in the Sky stuff but Paul Brennan lost his place at the tail end of Donegal's championship this year and we all know they have a raft of young players coming through so he will struggle next year. Also, but importantly he is a Leitrim man so it has to be in him that he wants to represent his own county especially now that it looks like we have got our management structures up to standards. It might upset people and our pride will have to be swallowed but that phone call has to be made. It might help that D.Rooney Mulligan and McGloin are all from Kinlough and will be main players in the coming years.

Off the top of my head here is a team I have picked from watching the championship last year that did not play for Leitrim in 2017. This even leaves the likes of Daire/Conor Farrell, Conor Dolan, Thomas Mulvey, Caleb Duffy, Donal McCabe, Cian Clinton, Donal Feely and the other McTague brother out. Not all of these will be good enough but they have to be given the opportunity to prove themselves.

Benny Flynn
Sean Harkin Fergal McTague Sean McWeeney
Ray Mulvey Gary Reynolds Ciaran Cullen
Aaron Hoare
Jack Gilheany
Sean Flanagan Pearce Dolan Conor Cullen
Niall McGovern Shane Moran Gary Plunkett

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 23/09/2018 16:09:07    2143363

Link

So now that Leitrim club football is 95% complete it's fair to say that we have no players that are going under the radar. There was a trial game of sorts the morning of the Senior county final but it will be another few weeks before everyone that needs to be their will be attending.

The most exciting news of the last few weeks is that Paul Brennan is no longer able to commit to Donegal as they won't facilitate for his work commitments and the word is that he will be back playing for Melvin Gaels in 2019. Hopefully Terry Hyland will do whatever it takes to get him involved.

From what I have heard the management have also contacted Chris Guckian (a nephew of Benny) who will be playing for St Judes in the Dublin championship final and Tomas Quinn and are positive that they may commit to joining the panel.

If we got Brennan, Quinn and Guckian it would drive the standards through the roof along with the players who wouldn't commit for various reasons under the old regime.
To show this I am going to try and pick an extended panel who I think should be brought in for S&C over the Winter. In my view it is more than good enough to get out of Division 4.

Goalkeepers:
Diarmuid McKiernan, Benny Flynn

Defenders
1. Paddy McGuire
2. Michael McWeeney
3. Tomas Quinn
4. Paul Brennan
5. Noel Plunkett
6. Donal Wrynn
7. Shane Quinn
8. James Rooney
9. Oisin Madden