Leitrim Forum

Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

In my view the four best teams are left in the competition which is great for all us neutrals. What's even more interesting is that all the teams left have their own defined way of playing. None of which is overly defensive apart from Aughawillan at times.

Glencar/Manor -V- Mohill: Manor deserve enormous credit to keep digging in and coming back with mainly the same core group of players. This year feels like the last sting in the tail though. Shane Ward has brought a new system to them which has suited perfectly to the profile of players Manor now have. Who would have thought a few years ago that Adrian Croal and McDonald would be converted into a pair of Wing-backs and excel? Glancy is still their top dog and the duel with him and Callain Canning will have a big bearing on the game. The problem for Manor is that their weak points at midfield and in their full back line is exactly where Mohill excel. Shane Quinn is the most consistent footballer in Leitrim over the last 4 years and is the key to this Mohill team. Quinn and Keegan should have far too much legs/pace for Sweeney and co. Ronan Kennedy and Keith Beirne will also think they can get the better of Gilmartin and O'Brien. Kennedy's decision making is crucial as he will always takes the right option which many could learn from. In Alan Armstrong Mohill also have the perfect foil to negate Seamus Ryder Manors big full forward recruit. And the Mitchell brothers are suited physically to Conor Dolan and Niall Brady/ Evan Sweeney. Manor will try to make this a niggly game and lull Mohill into a dogfight which I'd say is a worry for Mohill management as some of their players can be petulant/immature at times which does cost them. Manor's only hope is that it is a low scoring game riddled with frees. Overall, I think Mohill have a far greater spread of players when you consider that they had 7/8 on the county panel and Glencar had 1 in James Rooney. = Mohill by 5

St Mary's -V- Aughawillan: This is an interesting game. Aughawillan have the greater individuals but St Marys should have far more depth. Ray Mulvey could be the winning or losing of this game for St Mary's. If he is in the mood he could rip this Aughawillan defence to shreds as they struggle for raw pace. However, does he have the discipline to do his defensive duties now that he is placed at Wing Back? There's a few match up's that Hyland will be watching for here. It looks that Aughawillan are going to keep Mark Plunkett at centre field due to injuries so him and Daniel Lowe and Conor Farrell will be a good battle. I think Nicolas McWeeney will pick up Gary Plunkett which should suit Plunkett if he is at corner forward but Nicholas might try and run him which would be interesting. The one to watch will be Michael McWeeney and Pearce Dolan. The Willies have put Dolan at 14 after the guts of a year out with injuries but after his performances this year I would say M McWeeney will relish this. If Dolan drops out around the middle will St Marys trust the rest of their defence if Michael McW follows him? Robbie Lowe and Fergal McTague might be one that the referee will have to watch but the Willies can't afford to give away as many easy frees as they did against Melvin Gaels. Daire Farrell has been a key man for St Mary's this year so I wouldn't be surprised if Aughawillan put Barry Prior on him to put him on the back foot. I think St Marys will fancy their chances here as Aughawillan seem to be somewhat depleted. Whoever prevails in the Midfield battle will have a large say in the winning of this game but it depends what St Marys team turn up as we know Aughawillan will be ready for battle. = Draw Game

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 24/09/2018 09:36:54    2143461

Link

Senior Final - Mohill v St Mary's
Intermediate Final - Gaels v Duff

Opinions people

Heatwae (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 25/09/2018 13:01:24    2143720

Link

Replying To Heatwae:  "Senior Final - Mohill v St Mary's
Intermediate Final - Gaels v Duff

Opinions people"
Fenagh will be out for revenge over Gaels!!

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 25/09/2018 14:45:01    2143744

Link

Manor v The Willie's final

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 147 - 26/09/2018 14:16:03    2143941

Link

Mohill's depth I just on a whole new scale when you examine it.
Quinn, Beirne , Madden, Keegan, Mitchell, Flynn , Armstrong, Kennedy, Canning. That's nine players who have represented Leitrim in 2018 at some stage or another.
You also have to remember that another two of their starters Alan McLoughlin and Danny Beck also played championship football for Leitrim.

Than you look at the Harkin brothers who are making an impact for Mohill this year and the younger Mitchell and the Injured Jordan Reynolds and I would expect all of them to be involved in some capacity with the county seniors over the next 2 or 3 years if they maintain their progress.

This even before we remember that Ronan Gallagher a county veteran and Darren McLoughlin who received Man of the Match from Midfield in a county final recently are gone from their panel from last year and that probably the two they regret losing the most John Mulligan and Eanna Madden no longer play any football.
No other club could possibly dream of having a squad as deep as that. Their underage coaching is supreme and deserves all the credit in the world.

The contrast in depth is apparent when you consider what Aughawillan have achieved over the last few years. They rely on the same few names and the same families (Plunketts, Quinns, Gilheanys, Priors and Flanagans) to make a team yet in a completely different way what they are doing is immense.

To the weekends matches: As good as Manor have been this year have they improved significantly enough to say they are now better than a far younger Mohill team? Glancy won't receive the same space that other teams gift him and I can't see Mitchell giving Dolan or Brady the space to get the scores that Glencar will need. Not having Paddy Maguire in a game like this leave Manors attack there for the taking for the likes of Kennedy and Berne. - Mohill by 4

Aughawillan and Carrick should be a lot closer affair. I'm not convinced that Aughawillan have the defenders to cope with McWeeney and Mulveys pace which could make this a thrilling game as out from Michael McWeeney I think the likes of Gary Plunkett and Morgan Quinn will think they have the better of the Carrick defence and get a lot of scoring opportunities. I don't think St Mary's have the same scoring threat as the Willies do as Rob Lowe is getting on. The middle third is going to be where this game is won as Aughawillan will try to clog it up so Mary's half back line can't get through and Carrick will be trying to nullify Mark Plunkett. I think this may come down to the free takers and I see the Willies having an advantage here. Psychologically I think in the last 10 mins Aughawillan know they have what it takes to come out on the right side of dog fight where there are still a lot of question marks to what St Marys team turn up. - Aughawillan by 2

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 26/09/2018 20:44:12    2144019

Link

Mohill going to be hard stopped now seriously impressive this evening ran Manor ragged

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 29/09/2018 19:03:29    2144344

Link

Good win for Fenagh think they will win it out now, Leitrim Gaels will rue that missed penalty all winter it could have changed everything if it was converted.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 29/09/2018 19:06:04    2144345

Link

according to the leitrim observer it's a huge shock that Fenagh bet leitrim Gaels. Hardly that big of a shock they are in contention for a place in div 1 final. They were fav for the championship before a ball was kicked. The only team that will stop them now is themselves. Can't see annaduff or Eslin getting close.
A word on Mohil that was the complete performance from a team. They will be hard stopped. Unfortunately for this manor team they have been great servants for there club but they are at the end of the road now and don't have many young lads coming on.
As for tomorrow's games I seen willies beating Mary's by 5 and annaduff beating Eslin by at least 7 points.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 151 - 29/09/2018 19:56:34    2144349

Link

Was at manor game today looked like manor were gona make a good game of it as usual but then mohill just took control and kicked into high gear there strength ability and all round team play was so impressive theee decision making was perfect and never panicked. When u see the likes of idiom madden coming on cause he can't get started should be a very worrying sigh for any team in Leitrim. On tomorrow's game I seee marys bearing the willies don't think the willies will know what ya do with them and also I think they can give mohill a good run as for intermidate I'm going with Eslin by 2 the Beirne brothers are unmarkable and annduff not that good of team and if Eslin do win I see them beating fenagh should be a good dog fight tomorrow

Johnnyk1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 29/09/2018 22:41:26    2144367

Link

Fancy Mohill giving Connacht a good crack this year can't see them being bet in the final, Fenagh will also be hard bet in the final very impressed with them yday

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 30/09/2018 11:51:23    2144403

Link

Great win for Fenagh yesterday. The success at underage is begining to show...intermediate finalist, pushing for senior league final and i see their junior team is in the final too.

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 30/09/2018 13:22:16    2144417

Link

Annaduff the better team without making a good account of themselves before the final. Blitzed Eslin for 4 goals in the first half and only scored 3 points in the second half after Eslin woke up. Eslin very lacklustre and not clued in during first half, lost Mossy to a deserved black card didn't help them and then Ray Cox (on as a blood sub) skinned them for pace and a goal.

Annaduff deservedly ahead well at the break. Conor double and trebled marked (if not four around him sometimes in the square) all the time yet still caught some serious ball amongst huge pressure. Caught one letting it drop over his head whilst holding one annaduff lad off as cover against the other, it was unbelievable. He was sensational and if he got fitter could play havoc for leitrim at full forward.

Conor laid a lot of ball off unselfishly and perhaps he should have gone on for more scores himself, which I wondered was it a McGowan tactic to get more lads involved to spread the scores, make them more confident and less of a one/two man team for the years ahead. Raise standard of the team instead of always looking for a Beirne kinda thing. 3-4 lads around everything conor did and he still caught and laid off what came his way.

In fairness Kenny Cox looked calm, assured and always looked a step ahead and class ahead of anything that was ahead of him, he looked a he'll of a player but got the freedom of Carrick compared to Beirne. Hugh moylott had a good game considering who he was marking.

If I was fenagh I wouldn't be worrying about the final. Annaduff played great in patches prob more to eslin being bad than them being good. But it's Annaduff - God knows it will be a tough final.

Great intermediate championship this year,
as is the usual these past few years

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 30/09/2018 19:11:52    2144469

Link

Replying To Johnnyk1234:  "Was at manor game today looked like manor were gona make a good game of it as usual but then mohill just took control and kicked into high gear there strength ability and all round team play was so impressive theee decision making was perfect and never panicked. When u see the likes of idiom madden coming on cause he can't get started should be a very worrying sigh for any team in Leitrim. On tomorrow's game I seee marys bearing the willies don't think the willies will know what ya do with them and also I think they can give mohill a good run as for intermidate I'm going with Eslin by 2 the Beirne brothers are unmarkable and annduff not that good of team and if Eslin do win I see them beating fenagh should be a good dog fight tomorrow"
I hope you didn't go too hard in the bookies over the weekend..

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 30/09/2018 20:46:38    2144480

Link

Replying To bounceofball:  "Fancy Mohill giving Connacht a good crack this year can't see them being bet in the final, Fenagh will also be hard bet in the final very impressed with them yday"
Although mohill are certinally a great club, and are raising the bar on the Leitrim club scene along with aughawillan, manor and Mary's, such is the standard amongst other counties that mohill are playing at an intermediate level of other counties and probably would not win the connacht intermediate championship. Likewise our intermediate teams are at a level close to other counties junior clubs if not below them.

Its getting better all the time and our club scene is undoubtedly improving- but that's how it stands at the moment in my opinion.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 30/09/2018 21:53:02    2144495

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Although mohill are certinally a great club, and are raising the bar on the Leitrim club scene along with aughawillan, manor and Mary's, such is the standard amongst other counties that mohill are playing at an intermediate level of other counties and probably would not win the connacht intermediate championship. Likewise our intermediate teams are at a level close to other counties junior clubs if not below them.

Its getting better all the time and our club scene is undoubtedly improving- but that's how it stands at the moment in my opinion."
Sean O Heslins lost to Westport 1-09 to 0-7 in a Connacht Final in 2015, I believe the likes of Aughawillan amd Mohill would have the winning of an Intermediate Connacht Championship going on this

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 30/09/2018 22:39:45    2144508

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "I hope you didn't go too hard in the bookies over the weekend.."
Lost it all can you spare few bob

Johnnyk1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 01/10/2018 06:52:20    2144522

Link

Replying To FrankAndHonest:  "Sean O Heslins lost to Westport 1-09 to 0-7 in a Connacht Final in 2015, I believe the likes of Aughawillan amd Mohill would have the winning of an Intermediate Connacht Championship going on this"
I agree , Leitrim champions wouldn't live with Galway, Rosssies or Mayo teams in senior Connacht. Whilst Mohill gave Castlebar a good game last year in all honesty they were never looked like winning it.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 01/10/2018 08:02:43    2144524

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "I agree , Leitrim champions wouldn't live with Galway, Rosssies or Mayo teams in senior Connacht. Whilst Mohill gave Castlebar a good game last year in all honesty they were never looked like winning it."
Clubs in Leitrim have to start somewhere and in fairness Mohill were at least competitive against Castlebar. It would have stood to them.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 01/10/2018 10:45:12    2144544

Link

As an outsider it's amazing to me how Aughawillan do it... Surely their one of the smallest clubs population wise in Leitrim?

gaelicfooty15 (Cavan) - Posts: 242 - 03/10/2018 18:47:48    2144999

Link

From the championship so far very few players have put their hand up outside the panel from last year. The ones who shone outside that group are past it for the County, I think of both James Glancy's, Maxwell, McKeon, Holohan etc.
Of the others Kenny Cox, Peter Prior, Shaun Chandler, Ray Mulvey and Mark Diffley should be looked at. Mohill could include Mitchell, McLoughlin, Armstrong, Harkin with the present influx and Aughawillan could include McTague and Gilheaney with the Plunketts and Dolan. Shame there are not more to make the management think more.
St Marys and Manor showed signs of aging teams with the new guns really not on the level of Mohill or Aughawillan. Doesn't say much for the other senior clubs who got well beaten along the way by both Marys and Manor. Give Marys their due they nearly stole the game which they were totally outclassed. That spirit with another years experience could make them contenders next year.
Mohill and Aughawillan have had Davis, Pearson, Donohoe and McCormack bringing outside influence on their teams in recent years and it shows. Great to see Shane Canning taking over this year and hopefully breaking the winning streak of outside managers since Thomas Crowe with St Marys. It will be a tough task.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 04/10/2018 12:31:33    2145105

Link