Leitrim Forum

Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Zucker:  "who will win intermediate? its between fenagh and the Gaels id say!! we need to link league and championship as its just dragging out the inevitable like manor will win senior and fenagh intermediate and they are the two highest ranked teams in each championship"
funny I think soh could pull off a shock as they've nothing to lose and everyone is tipping manor to win easily enough. I agree it'll be fenagh or gaels for the intermediate but Mohill is my bet for the senior.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 11/09/2018 12:53:59    2140999

Link

Mohill by 7 - mohill are building momentum
Willies by 2 - expect the gaels to run them close
Mary's by 5 - think Mary's are the dark horses there a great bet @13/2 for the championship
Manor by 7 - manor to step it up a gear

Leitrim Gaels, Fenagh and 2 draws in intermediate

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 11/09/2018 22:10:10    2141107

Link

Allen Gaels v Mohil: Allen Gaels are a work in progress. Good to see them reach this far as they possess talent that a lot of teams in Leitrim don't have in Thomas Mulvey, Caleb Duffy, Alan Wynne and Nicholas Moore for ex. The question with them has always been commitment and are they fit enough. Think this game will be a step to far especially when you see Mohill adding in the likes of Beirne and Oisin Madden in the last few weeks. Mohill have transitioned their team in the last few years to a more pace and running game which seems to suit them. = Mohill by 6

Aughawillan -v- Melvin Gaels = Aughawillan seem to be flying and have been racking up big scores over the last month. Melvin Gaels have flattered to deceive all year and by all accounts were no great shakes while beating Aughnasheelin at the weekend. It's very apparent that the Willies have a problem in defence and how much they are conceding. The loss of Noel Plunkett could be fatal for them. They will need to get their match ups right against Kinlough or this game could be a shock. Rooney, Mulligan and McGloin have been very disappointing compared to what many thought they could do but they could catch fire in any game and destroy a team. Overall Aughawillan I think just have to much talent for Melvin to cope with as Gary and Mark Plunkett along with Pearce Dolan have the ability to dominate most teams when they get going. If the Willies can avoid conceding over two goals they should win this. = Aughawillan by 3

St Mary's v Gort = Nobody is giving Gort a chance in this game but Gort have already got a bit of luck in that the game is on in Ballinamore which is a tight pitch. They will make it a battle and try and bring St Mary's down a peg or two into a dogfight. Either Nicholas of Michael McWeeney will pick up Heslin who is obviously the key man but Gallagher and McCrann can also do damage to a brittle Carrick defence. Will be tight for the first half but St Marys should have too much talent for Gort to deal with in the Farrells, Doherty, Lowe, McWeeneys etc. = St Marys by 6

Manor v Ballinamore: This is the game of the weekend in my eyes. Ballinamore are on a terrible run of form and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. I think they can rattle Manor though. In Matthew Murphy, Kelan McHugh they have two corner backs who can tag Conor Dolan and Niall Brady. The brave move would be to put Wayne McKeown on Glancy and let them go to battle. McKeown attacking might bring Glancy out of his comfort zone. The two McGoverns around the middle will have to have a huge game to stop Sweeney and Coyle. Where I think they might make hay is with Pat Gilmartin on Shane Moran, surely this is a match up where Moran is licking his lips. He will probably have James Rooney as a sweeper infront of him but it is here where Manor will regret losing Paddy McGuire. = Draw Game

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 12/09/2018 12:38:21    2141210

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Allen Gaels v Mohil: Allen Gaels are a work in progress. Good to see them reach this far as they possess talent that a lot of teams in Leitrim don't have in Thomas Mulvey, Caleb Duffy, Alan Wynne and Nicholas Moore for ex. The question with them has always been commitment and are they fit enough. Think this game will be a step to far especially when you see Mohill adding in the likes of Beirne and Oisin Madden in the last few weeks. Mohill have transitioned their team in the last few years to a more pace and running game which seems to suit them. = Mohill by 6

Aughawillan -v- Melvin Gaels = Aughawillan seem to be flying and have been racking up big scores over the last month. Melvin Gaels have flattered to deceive all year and by all accounts were no great shakes while beating Aughnasheelin at the weekend. It's very apparent that the Willies have a problem in defence and how much they are conceding. The loss of Noel Plunkett could be fatal for them. They will need to get their match ups right against Kinlough or this game could be a shock. Rooney, Mulligan and McGloin have been very disappointing compared to what many thought they could do but they could catch fire in any game and destroy a team. Overall Aughawillan I think just have to much talent for Melvin to cope with as Gary and Mark Plunkett along with Pearce Dolan have the ability to dominate most teams when they get going. If the Willies can avoid conceding over two goals they should win this. = Aughawillan by 3

St Mary's v Gort = Nobody is giving Gort a chance in this game but Gort have already got a bit of luck in that the game is on in Ballinamore which is a tight pitch. They will make it a battle and try and bring St Mary's down a peg or two into a dogfight. Either Nicholas of Michael McWeeney will pick up Heslin who is obviously the key man but Gallagher and McCrann can also do damage to a brittle Carrick defence. Will be tight for the first half but St Marys should have too much talent for Gort to deal with in the Farrells, Doherty, Lowe, McWeeneys etc. = St Marys by 6

Manor v Ballinamore: This is the game of the weekend in my eyes. Ballinamore are on a terrible run of form and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. I think they can rattle Manor though. In Matthew Murphy, Kelan McHugh they have two corner backs who can tag Conor Dolan and Niall Brady. The brave move would be to put Wayne McKeown on Glancy and let them go to battle. McKeown attacking might bring Glancy out of his comfort zone. The two McGoverns around the middle will have to have a huge game to stop Sweeney and Coyle. Where I think they might make hay is with Pat Gilmartin on Shane Moran, surely this is a match up where Moran is licking his lips. He will probably have James Rooney as a sweeper infront of him but it is here where Manor will regret losing Paddy McGuire. = Draw Game"
you're presuming McKeon will start. he didn't start against Mohill.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 12/09/2018 14:06:01    2141232

Link

Replying To Ouryear:  "you're presuming McKeon will start. he didn't start against Mohill."
And you are presuming he will turn up

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 13/09/2018 18:33:04    2141521

Link

Replying To straightred:  "And you are presuming he will turn up"
I would never presume anything on that front at this stage

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 13/09/2018 23:59:41    2141588

Link

Was at the double header in Ballinamore today. The Beirnes importance to Eslin was plain for all to see, Conor and mossy were dominating the game but when mossy got black carded they really struggled and in the end Conor had to come out to catch a great ball in the middle and drive through to set up a goal for chesty to seal the win. Eslin are going great this year but I'd worry their reliance on the Beirnes will catch them out yet.
Mary's comfortably won the second game after a close first half. Gortletteragh ran out of steam after the break and without Cathal Quinn they struggled badly at midfield and with Jack Heslin looking to be carrying an injury they carried little attacking threat. Mary's will be a match for anyone they have a good match of pace and physicality and Ray Mulvey was outstanding today. Any hope he could be persuaded into giving county a go again?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 363 - 16/09/2018 19:02:05    2142026

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Was at the double header in Ballinamore today. The Beirnes importance to Eslin was plain for all to see, Conor and mossy were dominating the game but when mossy got black carded they really struggled and in the end Conor had to come out to catch a great ball in the middle and drive through to set up a goal for chesty to seal the win. Eslin are going great this year but I'd worry their reliance on the Beirnes will catch them out yet.
Mary's comfortably won the second game after a close first half. Gortletteragh ran out of steam after the break and without Cathal Quinn they struggled badly at midfield and with Jack Heslin looking to be carrying an injury they carried little attacking threat. Mary's will be a match for anyone they have a good match of pace and physicality and Ray Mulvey was outstanding today. Any hope he could be persuaded into giving county a go again?"
Was also at the game but don't see how this reliance is an issue. They're two of the most dominant players in Leitrim club football and I've yet to see anyone stop them at that level. If anything, I thought that Mary's reliance on their two wing backs was more evident. They were the difference between the two teams. Mary's were fairly average up front and relied on the two flying wing backs to drive them on. Didn't keep track but Mulvey and McWeeney surely had 5 or 6 points from their tally of 1-14 and set up more along with that. Would be great to get Ray involved with the county next year if possible. From what I heard, Hyland was in Ballinamore on Sunday so I'm sure he was impressed.

nature_boy (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 17/09/2018 11:03:57    2142161

Link

I was at all four quarter Finals over the weekend. I must say the standard of Leitrim Football has been raised enormously over the last 4 years.

Balinamore tried to capitalise on the two most obvious things about Manor this year: their full back line can be taken to the cleaners and most of their attacks come from their half back line. They put Dean McGovern at wing forward which made sure the Manor half backs had to drop a little deeper which worked well and more importantly they went with just a two man full forward line in Shane Moran and Niall McGovern. They created havoc. This should be Moran's position for club and county for good now no debate. N McGovern started to show some of his undoubted potential and he is a massive man if he could be got into a better physical condition he could dominate any match he plays in - County football included. For Manor James Glancy was once again their best player which is extraordinary when you consider his age and they dogging he was receiving from his man whom he roasted. Evan Sweeney was very lively inside but missed a costly free near the end which would have killed the game. Brady also took his goals expertly. Donal Feely won a world of breaks around the middle for Ballinamore aswell. A draw was probably a fair result.

Mohill burnt Allen Gales off after the first 20 minutes and could have won by any margin they wanted in reality. Mohill will be worried about the amount of goal chances they gave up however. For Allen Gales even though they were well bet they looked to be showing more promise than other years if they can be kept together. They have a young gem of a footballer in Caleb Duffy that we will all be hearing more about if he continues to play like that. Mohill still look to be the strongest team with most options and Keith Beirne will only get better once his fitness returns. Oisin Madden also got a class goal that I wish a video could be got off. Ran 50 yards off the shoulder of his teammate and buried a shot into the top corner.

Carrick did what they had to do against Gort it was never going to be a cake walk but they got the job done. Ray Mulvey and Nicholas McWeeney will cause trouble for any team with the pace and power they possess. Think they look weak at midfield however and Michael McWeeney is filling a lot of holes in the full back line. They need to find a go to man in their forward line though otherwise teams are going to just clog up the space around the middle third and stop their runners.

Aughawillan certainly don't make things easy for themselves anyway. They came out the right side of a dog fight with Kinlough. Mulligan kept them in it with frees in the first half many which seemed to be soft but Aughawillans defenders were naïve at times as I'm sure they were warned not to give up easy opportunities like that. In Mark Plunkett they arguably possess the best overall footballer in the county and he was the one that kept them going in the first half against the wind when they were up against it. He probably forced a few shots in the second half but any team that plays them need to double mark him in my view. In Pearce Dolan they might have another player not far behind Plunkett. Another video from the weekend I would like to see is he outrageous catch on the edge of his own square in the dying minutes which pretty much settled the game for them. They're playing him on the edge of the square as a foil for Gary Plunkett which is working but once he is back to full fitness I would say he will be back out around the middle. The least talked about player they have is Fergal McTague they've put him back full back and at different stages he nullified both Muligan and Dara Rooney. He's a massive man with good pace, very raw yet but he will definitely be on Terry Hylands radar. Melvin Gaels need maybe two or three fresh players for next year and they will be right in contention. Young Rooney and McGloin look like they need a complete break from football for a wee while to recharge as they have played a lot of football with pressure on their shoulders for two lads still U20.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 17/09/2018 13:21:49    2142220

Link

Watched the willies vs gaels on sunday last. Was a very good game. Rooney was very quiet for gaels and they relyed on mulligan as usual. The midfield battle was excellent to watch nd was 50/50 throughout. The turning point in the game was the goal from young dolan and a great finish it was. Melvin gaels lost shape and cudnt get a hold of the game after this. I was sitting not far from a few melvin gaels supporters and they will outraged by the changes that were made on the line by the gaels management. Allot of them saying after that it cost them the game. Willies to be fair deserved there win and should account for marys in the next round if dey man mark mulvey nd nicky mc wenney they should come through it by 2 or 3 points!!

coldfeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 19/09/2018 22:19:26    2142811

Link

Agree with most of the posters here that the standards overall have been raised. Still feel that we could make a few tweaks to improve it even more. It looks like either Fenagh or Leitrim Gaels will come up which is a good thing for the overall health of football in the county as they have both been excelling at underage and have a good population base so their success is sustainable. I would also argue that can be supported through their league form that they are both better than the likes of Drumreilly, Dromahair, Boornacoola and Ballinaglera. None of whom should be near senior football. Still think we need 10 teams at the most in senior football. This would then strengthen Intermediate and Junior levels. Other than that we seriously need to consider amalgamations.

Top Players on each team in my view
Mohill:
Shane Quinn
Oisin Madden
Keith Beirne
Ronan Kennedy
James Michell/Alan Armstrong

Aughawillan:
Mark Plunkett
Pearce Dolan
Gary Plunkett
Noel Plunkett
Fergal McTague/Sean Flnagan

St Marys:
Michael McWeeney
Ray Mulvey
Daire Farrell
Nicholas McWeeney
Conor Farrell

Ballinamore:
Shane Moran
Dean McGovern
Niall McGovern
Donal Feely
Matthew Murphy

Manor:
James Glancy
James Rooney
Evan Sweeney
James O'Brien
Brian McDonald

I know it's a simplistic way of looking at it but it shows that there are some very good footballers in the county when you break it down like that. To me it also shows that Mohill and Aughawillan have more top players than the other remaining teams. Mohill have the best overall squad which might see them through. Aughawillan probably have the highest quality individuals but with the weakest panel. And what Manors chart shows is that they are really struggling for quality forwards when a 34 year old is head and shoulders their best player. To soon still for Ballinamore but when you see their second team competing at Intermediate level you know they aren't far away. St Mary's are a hard one to judge as always but if they can keep this team together and supplement it with their brilliant Minor team then they will be a force in the next few years.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 20/09/2018 12:07:25    2142871

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "Agree with most of the posters here that the standards overall have been raised. Still feel that we could make a few tweaks to improve it even more. It looks like either Fenagh or Leitrim Gaels will come up which is a good thing for the overall health of football in the county as they have both been excelling at underage and have a good population base so their success is sustainable. I would also argue that can be supported through their league form that they are both better than the likes of Drumreilly, Dromahair, Boornacoola and Ballinaglera. None of whom should be near senior football. Still think we need 10 teams at the most in senior football. This would then strengthen Intermediate and Junior levels. Other than that we seriously need to consider amalgamations.

Top Players on each team in my view
Mohill:
Shane Quinn
Oisin Madden
Keith Beirne
Ronan Kennedy
James Michell/Alan Armstrong

Aughawillan:
Mark Plunkett
Pearce Dolan
Gary Plunkett
Noel Plunkett
Fergal McTague/Sean Flnagan

St Marys:
Michael McWeeney
Ray Mulvey
Daire Farrell
Nicholas McWeeney
Conor Farrell

Ballinamore:
Shane Moran
Dean McGovern
Niall McGovern
Donal Feely
Matthew Murphy

Manor:
James Glancy
James Rooney
Evan Sweeney
James O'Brien
Brian McDonald

I know it's a simplistic way of looking at it but it shows that there are some very good footballers in the county when you break it down like that. To me it also shows that Mohill and Aughawillan have more top players than the other remaining teams. Mohill have the best overall squad which might see them through. Aughawillan probably have the highest quality individuals but with the weakest panel. And what Manors chart shows is that they are really struggling for quality forwards when a 34 year old is head and shoulders their best player. To soon still for Ballinamore but when you see their second team competing at Intermediate level you know they aren't far away. St Mary's are a hard one to judge as always but if they can keep this team together and supplement it with their brilliant Minor team then they will be a force in the next few years."
And now do top players in last 4 of Intermediate. Just as a guide

Heatwae (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 20/09/2018 17:44:54    2142977

Link

Replying To Heatwae:  "And now do top players in last 4 of Intermediate. Just as a guide"
Wouldn't bother with a Leitrim Ways views too much. Domhnall Flynn and St Marys James Glancy don't make his top 5 in each club and there are other notable absentees and a few lightweights making the cut.
Also to discard Drumreilly in the championship where they were clearly in the tougher group, drew with Sean O Heslin's and were level with less than 10 mins to go with Mohill and Aughawillan. They may not beat Fenagh or Leitrim Gaels but couldn't see much in it. They would have got out of the other group for sure. Maxwell, McKeon, Jimmy, Peter Prior and Conor Gaffney are as good as any of the 5 you listed with the other clubs.
Also Drumkeerin played Intermediate so need to relegate them.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 21/09/2018 12:07:51    2143146

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Wouldn't bother with a Leitrim Ways views too much. Domhnall Flynn and St Marys James Glancy don't make his top 5 in each club and there are other notable absentees and a few lightweights making the cut.
Also to discard Drumreilly in the championship where they were clearly in the tougher group, drew with Sean O Heslin's and were level with less than 10 mins to go with Mohill and Aughawillan. They may not beat Fenagh or Leitrim Gaels but couldn't see much in it. They would have got out of the other group for sure. Maxwell, McKeon, Jimmy, Peter Prior and Conor Gaffney are as good as any of the 5 you listed with the other clubs.
Also Drumkeerin played Intermediate so need to relegate them."
I smell a bit of bias there ... it's an awful pity that 3 of the 5 you list for Drunreilly have the best years behind them. God if any of them decided to retire you'd have to wonder how long Drumreilly would last as a senior club.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 21/09/2018 23:26:00    2143213

Link

Square b saw two games involving them this year and my bias is that the three of those players won their battles in both games against county panelists so of course their best days are behind them but sad truth is even though they are on the decline they are still immeasurably better than most of the so called current crop. And I am a neutral but stood beside fans of the opposition in both those games, Sean o Heslin's and Mohill, and overheard their fans acknowledging the same. We can't all be wrong, that does not mean I am saying bring them back to the county fold all I am saying the senior championship would be poorer for the absence of Drumreilly.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 22/09/2018 10:00:47    2143232

Link

As a Drumreilly man I'll be bias and say we've warriors in John Mckeon, Declan Maxwell, Jimmy Holohan and Olly Maguire. Declan Maxwell cleaned out Ballinamore at midfield in Cloone, same game John Mckeon got his head split open but returned to play the nan marked Pierce Dolanog under lights have the last 15mins of the Aughawillan game never gave him a sniff l. Dare I say it but if there is a fitter man on the circuit then Jimmy Holohan I've yet to see it? People use the league as a yard stick to beat us with but we knew early on we weren't going to be in the shake up so we took the foot of the gas. Conor Gaffney played the championship at 50% he's not been right all summer as he got injured in New York. In Peter Prior and Dona McCabe we've serious ability. And finally anyone see the legend that's Olly Maguire play this year? The fella got 3goals and 3assists plus won the penalty against Gorthlettragh.? These men would be forgotten long ago in the big towns. We don't forget them. Final point we've a few lads returning next year and I dare anyone to say we won't take on anyone in a fight. Droim Oir Bhellaigh abú

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 22/09/2018 11:58:35    2143245

Link

Manor laid down a serious marker tonight hammering Ballinamore. Their game against Mohill is going to be some battle, Manor have lost two county finals to Mohill in recent years and will be determined to reverse this and get back into another final while Mohill really want to do back to back titles for the first time. Really hard to call I'll go for Manor by a point. Very disappointing for Ballinamore thought they were contenders after last week but this is a big set back for them.
In the junior its great to see Glenfarne/Kilty in the final, a great little club thats had a very rough few years but have kept going and i really hope they win it out now.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 363 - 22/09/2018 21:31:42    2143297

Link

Ok so Manor once again proved to be too much for Ballinamore. Think Manor will give Mohill a good shot but unlike Ballinamore Mohill have all the tools to shut down Manors danger men. Also Manor are really there to be got at around the midfield especially with a strong running game which Mohill have
Should be 2good semi finals though.
Don't honestly think the Ballinamore lads will be too disappointed after result which is in fact their biggest weakness. They have too many players who just do enough to get by and show a lack of discipline and fight to do what it takes to get to the level needed. They certainly have gone back since the great year they had 2 years ago.
Putting my money on Mohill Aughawillan final. Mohills fitness and firepower to win out

leitrimnproud (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 23/09/2018 00:59:52    2143314

Link

Replying To leitrimnproud:  "Ok so Manor once again proved to be too much for Ballinamore. Think Manor will give Mohill a good shot but unlike Ballinamore Mohill have all the tools to shut down Manors danger men. Also Manor are really there to be got at around the midfield especially with a strong running game which Mohill have
Should be 2good semi finals though.
Don't honestly think the Ballinamore lads will be too disappointed after result which is in fact their biggest weakness. They have too many players who just do enough to get by and show a lack of discipline and fight to do what it takes to get to the level needed. They certainly have gone back since the great year they had 2 years ago.
Putting my money on Mohill Aughawillan final. Mohills fitness and firepower to win out"
Spot on about Ballinamore and I agree with a Mobil willies final. Mohill to win. Very well balanced team

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 23/09/2018 14:12:53    2143354

Link

Best performance I have seen from Manor in a long time, if Dolan, Ryder, Evan Sweeney and Brady can repeat the dose next week then they have to be in with a shout against mohill. Slot will rest on mc Donald and croal being fit. Dubs Manor brought in did well. Alot of the ballinamore lads downed tools it has to be said and they completely lost their discipline. Manor back 6 were excellent though, and fergal Rooney was very good at sweeper.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 452 - 23/09/2018 18:04:18    2143377

Link