Leitrim Forum

Club league 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To journeyman11:  "Manor were given the points as a sister of one of the ballinaglera players passed away, as far as i am aware they looked for the game to be changed but were not accommodated."
Ballinagleara conceded the game becAuse of the death did not look for it changed . Didn't want to play manor at all

Leitrim007 (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 10/07/2018 22:18:30    2120568

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "So much for concerns over player welfare and so on.... another round of the league has been fixed for Saturday. 3 games in a week.... is it really that important to have the league practically complete before the start of the championship?"
FYI some lads have 5 games in one week

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 11/07/2018 12:04:57    2120664

Link

Most clubs have to play 3 games in 6 days where as they have only played 8 games over the past 4 months. How can this be right?

Leitrim2011 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 11/07/2018 14:44:54    2120740

Link

Replying To straightred:  "FYI some lads have 5 games in one week"
Thats interesting... who were they?

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 11/07/2018 20:19:36    2120815

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "Thats interesting... who were they?"
Sean O'Heslins played willies on sat, played Dromahaire on sunday, played Carrick yesterday, will play Ballinaglera on sat and straight after will play kiltubret on sat.

I know its two different leagues but alot of the same lads will be out in both

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 12/07/2018 14:06:36    2121006

Link

It's hard to know where teams are at. With ballinamore beating the willies on Saturday and the willies beating Melvin Gaels last night and carrick beating ballinamore last night. Mohill giving the rest of the county a hope that manor are still beatable

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 12/07/2018 15:08:09    2121028

Link

Fenagh for the league final!!

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 15/07/2018 10:04:37    2121942

Link

Is it a case that other clubs in leitrim are getting stronger or is it that some of the stronger ones are getting weaker? Very close league, looking through the results there has been very few hammerings. Both relegation places and league final places will go down to the last game. Looking through past leagues tables 5 points kept teams safe last year. It will prob take 8 points this year to be sure. Ballinaglera will have to beat aughnasheelin on Saturday to give themselves a chance. Aughnasheelin win that and they are safe. Who would have thought at the start of the year that If Fenagh beat aughwillian it may put them on the brink of a league final and may put the willies on the brink of relegation. Drumkeerin had a good win over Melvin gaels to keep there hopes of avoiding the drop alive. It's a pity the ccc didn't put a Wednesday Saturday fixture to get the league finished before championship. Very hard on teams who are playing to avoid relegation having to wait 2 months to play the last game. Some of these teams may get an advantage as they could be playing a team who are out of the championship and noting to play for so they will play a weekend team and not even be training. Too much effort put in by players for this to be happening.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 16/07/2018 14:20:05    2122734

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Is it a case that other clubs in leitrim are getting stronger or is it that some of the stronger ones are getting weaker? Very close league, looking through the results there has been very few hammerings. Both relegation places and league final places will go down to the last game. Looking through past leagues tables 5 points kept teams safe last year. It will prob take 8 points this year to be sure. Ballinaglera will have to beat aughnasheelin on Saturday to give themselves a chance. Aughnasheelin win that and they are safe. Who would have thought at the start of the year that If Fenagh beat aughwillian it may put them on the brink of a league final and may put the willies on the brink of relegation. Drumkeerin had a good win over Melvin gaels to keep there hopes of avoiding the drop alive. It's a pity the ccc didn't put a Wednesday Saturday fixture to get the league finished before championship. Very hard on teams who are playing to avoid relegation having to wait 2 months to play the last game. Some of these teams may get an advantage as they could be playing a team who are out of the championship and noting to play for so they will play a weekend team and not even be training. Too much effort put in by players for this to be happening."
The weaker teams seem to be catching up with the better teams,manor and Mohill and the Willie's raised the bar and the rest seem to be catching up,you can see it in the county team great young lads spread from all over.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 147 - 17/07/2018 07:59:09    2122985

Link

This weekend predictions
St Mary's v manor = manor win by 4
Leitrim Gaels v Melvin Gaels = Melvin gaels by 4
SOH v Gortletteragh = SOH by 5
Fenagh v Aughwillian = Draw
Ballinaglera v Aughnasheelin = Glera by 3
Mohil v Drumkeerin = Mohil by 9

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 19/07/2018 23:43:57    2123905

Link

Last round of league games before he championship begins.
Leitrim village v Melvin Gaels - leitrim village by a point. Melvin can't seem to be able to beat anyone atm.
Mary's v manor - Mary's going well lately expect a good game with manor just too strong for them and to win by 3
Soh v gort - soh by 4
Ballinagleara v the neds - neds by a point
Mohill v drumkeeran - mohill by 7. Drumkeeran are fairly poor and won't be judged by this result anyway.

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 21/07/2018 14:05:38    2124255

Link

Well done to Annaduff on promotion from division 2. I reckon Dromahair will join them on scoring difference from Allen Gaels is that correct or will it be a play off between them?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 22/07/2018 11:01:31    2124593

Link

Dromahair should have been promoted on score difference, but astonishingly,Cloone conceded their final game of the league to promotion contenders Allen Gales handing them two points and causing a situation where score difference cannot be used, meaning a playoff probably in October/November.
This highlights the need for radical change to the leagues, and much tougher sanctions for concessions needed, points deductions possibly.

Blindsided (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 22/07/2018 13:18:24    2124641

Link

Replying To Blindsided:  "Dromahair should have been promoted on score difference, but astonishingly,Cloone conceded their final game of the league to promotion contenders Allen Gales handing them two points and causing a situation where score difference cannot be used, meaning a playoff probably in October/November.
This highlights the need for radical change to the leagues, and much tougher sanctions for concessions needed, points deductions possibly."
Couldn't agree more there was many walkovers in division 2 this year , Melvin Gaels only played half their games and Ballinamore conceded there last 3 game's relegating themselves when probably one win would have saved them. Agree too that cloone should have been made play that game i bet they will have no bother fielding next weekend sanctions need to be tougher in my opinion

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 22/07/2018 14:57:30    2124675

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Couldn't agree more there was many walkovers in division 2 this year , Melvin Gaels only played half their games and Ballinamore conceded there last 3 game's relegating themselves when probably one win would have saved them. Agree too that cloone should have been made play that game i bet they will have no bother fielding next weekend sanctions need to be tougher in my opinion"
12 team leagues provide the perfect environment for mediocrity, in D2 win three or four games and you'll be ahead of the 2nd teams, and safe,in D1 same thing applies to avoid the bottom two places , if you're not in contention for promotion the latter games become meaningless. Leagues have to be reduced to promote quality of competition.

Blindsided (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 22/07/2018 15:27:36    2124684

Link

There was multiple games conceded in the league this year so the Cloone/Allen Gaels game made no difference, scoring difference cannot be used already. Also the final game of the season meant nothing to Cloone as they were mid table so why should they be expected to play it 1 week before championship and after being forced to play 3 games in 7 days the week before that! I think the county board needs to sort out the fixture schedule first before starting to impose sanctions. A 10 team league structure would work better in my opinion.

Leitrim2011 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 23/07/2018 09:26:55    2124987

Link

In fairness the fixtures were well laid out this year but a round without county players was lost in June due to the Mohill objection while another round was lost due to the unexpected run of the county team in the qualifiers (this cost one round on the week that Lm played Mon). So the fixture congestion of the last few weeks was not planned.

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 23/07/2018 10:00:10    2125011

Link

Replying To Leitrim2011:  "There was multiple games conceded in the league this year so the Cloone/Allen Gaels game made no difference, scoring difference cannot be used already. Also the final game of the season meant nothing to Cloone as they were mid table so why should they be expected to play it 1 week before championship and after being forced to play 3 games in 7 days the week before that! I think the county board needs to sort out the fixture schedule first before starting to impose sanctions. A 10 team league structure would work better in my opinion."
I agre that the number of teams in the leagues should be reduced by at least 2 and possibly by 4, where a team would either have to push for promotion of defend against relegation right to the last game.
With regards to the significance of the Cloone/Allen Gaels game, score difference would have been used as neither Allen Gaels or Dromahair had been involved in concessions up to last Saturday, this was mads known last week as per the Leitrim Observer. The Cloone concession is significant

Blindsided (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 23/07/2018 10:13:03    2125016

Link

The leagues are long over due a revamp, 8 teams is more than enough per league and this will allow the clubs more time off over the winter because there wont be competitive games until April and this will allow the leagues to be run off before championship starts.
You cant blame teams for conceding games, especially 2nd teams because the reality is clubs are struggling to field two teams these days as there is a lot more club players dropping out or giving up GAA.. this is down to the way club players get treated by county boards (this is a national problem not just Leitrim) the joke that is the club fixtures.. the level of commitment expected from lads nowadays and they might go months without a competitive game and also the way Gaelic football has gone over the last 5 years especially is hard to watch and hard to be a part of, 13 men behind the ball etc... I thing rugby and other sports with a better social balance is going to have a huge impact on the club GAA scene over the coming years!

On another topic, I have been to quite a few games this year and seen most referees in action at this stage and I must say the standard of refereeing in the county is shocking bad, consistently gets worse year on year which is worrying and is also impacting the game in Leitrim negatively.. like its clear some don't know the rules, some just show up to ruin games of football and it seems they have no one answer to after all their shocking decisions.. this needs urgent attention from the county board but sure when have they ever done anything..

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 23/07/2018 10:55:03    2125043

Link

Replying To harleys:  "The leagues are long over due a revamp, 8 teams is more than enough per league and this will allow the clubs more time off over the winter because there wont be competitive games until April and this will allow the leagues to be run off before championship starts.
You cant blame teams for conceding games, especially 2nd teams because the reality is clubs are struggling to field two teams these days as there is a lot more club players dropping out or giving up GAA.. this is down to the way club players get treated by county boards (this is a national problem not just Leitrim) the joke that is the club fixtures.. the level of commitment expected from lads nowadays and they might go months without a competitive game and also the way Gaelic football has gone over the last 5 years especially is hard to watch and hard to be a part of, 13 men behind the ball etc... I thing rugby and other sports with a better social balance is going to have a huge impact on the club GAA scene over the coming years!

On another topic, I have been to quite a few games this year and seen most referees in action at this stage and I must say the standard of refereeing in the county is shocking bad, consistently gets worse year on year which is worrying and is also impacting the game in Leitrim negatively.. like its clear some don't know the rules, some just show up to ruin games of football and it seems they have no one answer to after all their shocking decisions.. this needs urgent attention from the county board but sure when have they ever done anything.."
Completely agree. Refereeing in this county is a shambles, Referees can single handedly sway a game in one teams favour. I've seen it done on a numver of occasions. Something that must be attended to for our football to improve.

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 23/07/2018 11:37:35    2125090

Link