Leitrim Forum

Club league 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Some strange results over the weekend. Shows how competitive the intermediate championship will be this year. Leitrim gaels drawing with Mohil and drumkeerin doing like wise against SOH. Fenagh beating Ballinaglera without Ryan o Rourke and donal Rynn. Also annaduff flying in div 2. Manor are going well as usual. The draw tomorrow night will be very intresting. Melvin gaels back on track also.

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 15/04/2018 23:04:40    2093176

Link

Great result for Leitrim Gaels who will probably be a small bit frustrated that they didn't close the game out. They will cause difficulties for most sides this year. Drumkieran getting a point off Ballinamore was surprising as I feel they will struggle to stay up this year. Although Ballinamore were missing Dean McGovern, Murphy and a few more. Anyone at the Manor and Aughawillan game? The Willie's seem to be nose diving at the moment and they won't like losing to their two main rivals in consecutive weeks. The most surprising thing is that Manor who are managed by Shane Ward are so free flowing and scoring heavily 2:15 below in Aughawillan is not to be sniffed at. Aughnasheelin seem to be missing Conor Cullen a lot as I would have expected them on paper to beat Gort. Melvin Gaels will be delighted to get a win on the board even if St Marys will be a different team come August. The Championship draw is being made tonight so it will get the juices flowing and will give players something to focus on at least.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 16/04/2018 13:19:36    2093268

Link

Manor playing very well. Although paddy Maguire could still be the loss that costs them winning the championship. Heard Wayne mckeown was back for Ballinamore against Drumkeerin. Is Murphy and McGovern out for leitrim?

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 16/04/2018 13:42:32    2093275

Link

Fenagh had an impressive result v the Glera. I heard they were without wrynn and orourke and that Gilheany only came on for the final 10 mins. Theyve 3 points after 3 games and i believe thats pretty much without their 3 best players. The underage success is slowly begining to develop at adult level for them.

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 16/04/2018 20:02:46    2093386

Link

Didn't get to any game last night were the county players not playing for their clubs? Great win for Fenagh over Mohill

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 13/05/2018 12:23:18    2099960

Link

Drumkeeran v willies - willies by 1
Mohill v soh - soh by 5
Fenagh v manor - this will give us more of a telling where fenagh are at . Manor by 8
Ballinagleara v carrick - carrick easily
Leitrim village v gort - village by 4
Melvin Gaels v the neds - tough to call but without the county players il go for neds by 3

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 16/05/2018 21:20:14    2101520

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Didn't get to any game last night were the county players not playing for their clubs? Great win for Fenagh over Mohill"
Think both teams had their county players? . A great win for Fenagh and no doubt a wake up call for mohill

Leitrimabu17 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 17/05/2018 21:00:50    2101798

Link

Replying To Leitrimabu17:  "Think both teams had their county players? . A great win for Fenagh and no doubt a wake up call for mohill"
Mohill were missing six of there starting 15 which included no Keith Beirne or Ronan Kennedy

Johnnyk1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 17/05/2018 23:05:18    2101833

Link

Are Mohill beginning to slip? Not a very encouraging start to the league campaign. Not the usual Mohill who have done very well in the league the last few years

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 17/05/2018 23:19:11    2101836

Link

Replying To FrankAndHonest:  "Are Mohill beginning to slip? Not a very encouraging start to the league campaign. Not the usual Mohill who have done very well in the league the last few years"
Has the Pauric Davis effect worn off perhaps?

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 18/05/2018 11:27:49    2101920

Link

Don't be daft mohill have no interest in the league. They will still be in top 3 and end of year. Soh will beat them this weekend as they bet them twice last year and mohill will be missing several county players and ballinamore only missing dean who is injured anyway. Mohill still by far the strongest squad come championship semi and final. They won the league in third gear at best. Phenomenal group of players

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 18/05/2018 12:06:29    2101936

Link

Replying To Fr.spodo_gamodo:  "Don't be daft mohill have no interest in the league. They will still be in top 3 and end of year. Soh will beat them this weekend as they bet them twice last year and mohill will be missing several county players and ballinamore only missing dean who is injured anyway. Mohill still by far the strongest squad come championship semi and final. They won the league in third gear at best. Phenomenal group of players"
Strongest squad??? if so they should have no fear when it comes to the ballinamore game, and should give them a good game......but if reports were true, ballinamore have already been awarded the two points.........

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 18/05/2018 13:46:25    2101963

Link

Replying To straightred:  "Strongest squad??? if so they should have no fear when it comes to the ballinamore game, and should give them a good game......but if reports were true, ballinamore have already been awarded the two points........."
Mohill don't fear Ballinamore one bit it's a disgrace that a club who is on the up and represented Leitrim well in a Connaught championship and that has also 9 players with the senior county are expected to play a league game its not the think of having strength or dept it's d county board that should hold hands up and say fair is fair and can't be a rule for one and not another I hope mohill win d league and championship and silence all the ones who want to keep them down

Johnnyk1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 19/05/2018 00:20:08    2102070

Link

Replying To Johnnyk1234:  "Mohill don't fear Ballinamore one bit it's a disgrace that a club who is on the up and represented Leitrim well in a Connaught championship and that has also 9 players with the senior county are expected to play a league game its not the think of having strength or dept it's d county board that should hold hands up and say fair is fair and can't be a rule for one and not another I hope mohill win d league and championship and silence all the ones who want to keep them down"
Surely they cant be expected to play with 9 of their starters on the intercounty panel? Could the county board not facilitate them, having such a large representation?

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 19/05/2018 08:06:58    2102086

Link

I dont understand it....i get the frustration of no county players and all but surely it should have been viewed as a great opertunity for the frindge players to have a crack and prove themselves! Similar thing happened last year all over the county with midweek games, teams missing loads due to work commitments in dublin, they still got on with it!!!!

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 19/05/2018 09:05:41    2102092

Link

Replying To straightred:  "I dont understand it....i get the frustration of no county players and all but surely it should have been viewed as a great opertunity for the frindge players to have a crack and prove themselves! Similar thing happened last year all over the county with midweek games, teams missing loads due to work commitments in dublin, they still got on with it!!!!"
I agree. Some Lads if they have any football ambitions should have taken this opportunity. Come championship no doubt mohill will have a panel of 30 named why not let these fringe players give a shot. Poor reflection on mohill and maybe Leitrim football as a whole when the county champions concede league games.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 20/05/2018 16:08:42    2102309

Link

A few big shocks but then again if truth be told we can expect this when we ask clubs to play without their best players and weaker clubs or ones that have players who won't commit to county team are getting away with probably gaining 4 points in the course of the league that they might not get ordinarily.
Mohill losing 7 players can rightfully feel aggrieved as that practically ruins any chance of victory, regardless of saying they have 3 teams at adult level. Their second team is not going great in Div 2 so asking half that team to play div 1 is asking a lot to expect a win.
Next season clubs must enforce the league and championship to have the 2020 season with senior and div 1 league, intermediate and div 2 both containing 10 teams. Can't realistically see it coming in before as half of the current league is complete. Even 8 teams in each division is plenty. Want our top divisions to be quality abs contain the best teams.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 20/05/2018 22:39:07    2102454

Link

For once I totally agree with you Well said.I hope Clubs finally bite the bullet at the end of the year

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 21/05/2018 00:59:30    2102493

Link

looks like manor and SOH will contest the div 1 final and still 6 games to go. Glera aughnasheelin drumkeerin aughwillian and st Mary's to be in the relegation race. I think 6 points will be enough to keep teams up this year. Assume score difference is gone With Mohil conceding over the weekend. Could be 3 + teams on the same number of points in the relegation race come the end of the year

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 21/05/2018 14:43:57    2102668

Link

I think the 24 clubs in Leitrim should be divided in to senior, inter and junior levels, 3 groups of 8. second and third teams go into a reserve league competition. it would make things more competitive in the county i believe and junior clubs would not have to play big club's second teams etc

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 23/05/2018 11:54:56    2103232

Link