Leitrim Forum

Club league 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good win for Manor as they were missing about 6 or 7

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 147 - 01/04/2018 23:14:50    2090205

Link

Was at d Mary's and mohill game was a typical first game of league. The pitch was terrible condition Mary's were ok but mohill are league champions for a reason they very fit looking. D big thing was how d county boys stood out Shane Quinn was excellent as well as Flynn Beirne and Kennedy be hard to see how standard in Leitrim or things are gona change will be d same old teams as usual. Did mulligan start with Gaels and any one at willed game

Johnnyk1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 01/04/2018 23:35:57    2090211

Link

Yes mulligan started for gaels and did ok. Darrag Rooney was gaels best player. Manor was missing a few adrian Croal played very well at wing back. James clancy best player on the pitch. Did the glera rattle aughwillian? Heard drumkeerin blew a big lead against aughnasheelin in a tough battle. Gortletteragh also blew a big lead to fenagh,

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 02/04/2018 12:58:56    2090286

Link

Replying To ThisIsIt:  "Yes mulligan started for gaels and did ok. Darrag Rooney was gaels best player. Manor was missing a few adrian Croal played very well at wing back. James clancy best player on the pitch. Did the glera rattle aughwillian? Heard drumkeerin blew a big lead against aughnasheelin in a tough battle. Gortletteragh also blew a big lead to fenagh,"
Heard Gortletteragh had a few players sent off in that game and let a 9 point lead slip anyone at that game? Leitrim Gaels put it up to Ballinamore they will be very competitive in this league.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 02/04/2018 14:42:53    2090329

Link

Replying To Johnnyk1234:  "Was at d Mary's and mohill game was a typical first game of league. The pitch was terrible condition Mary's were ok but mohill are league champions for a reason they very fit looking. D big thing was how d county boys stood out Shane Quinn was excellent as well as Flynn Beirne and Kennedy be hard to see how standard in Leitrim or things are gona change will be d same old teams as usual. Did mulligan start with Gaels and any one at willed game"
Was at the willies game,both teams were missing various players. Ballinaglera missed numerous goal chances and the willies just about deserved the win.

LM12345 (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 02/04/2018 18:52:19    2090401

Link

Fixtures this weekend
SOH V Melvin Gaels. Ballinamore will win this one I feel. was surprised to hear that manor were missing so many players last weekend and still won handy.

Aughwillian V Mohil. Mohil to win this one because of there overall squad strength and can cope with missing players easier than the willies

Manor V Aughnasheelin. Manor to continue there good start to the league here.

St Mary's V Fenagh. Carrick to win this especially with Ryan O Rourke out injured. Fenagh will struggle to win many games without him in the team

Ballinaglera V Leitrim Gaels. Already a relegation 6 pointer I feel. Ballinaglera to sneak the win

Gortletteragh v Drumkeerin. Sounds like both teams let big leads slip last weekend. I suppose it's a game that suits both teams considering that. However gortletteragh will win as home advantage is worth a few points.

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 03/04/2018 10:09:06    2090550

Link

What stood out the most for me last weekend was how bad the standard of refereeing is in the county l. It's very hard to get a fair ref with common sense that will ref what he sees in front of him.
Soh v Melvin - soh by 5
Mary's v fenagh - Mary's by 3
Gort v drumkeeran - drumkeeran by 2
Manor v aughnasilean- manor flying at the moment shane ward great manager
Ballinagleara v the village - draw
Mohill v the willies - mohill willies not to bothered about the league

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 03/04/2018 17:35:07    2090761

Link

SOH v Melvin - this is a big game for melvin gaels, disappointing last weekend, i expect a response but bmore will win by 2/3 points
Mary's v fenagh - another huge game for both teams, fenagh might well fancy this but i think marys should have enough and get the job done by 5/6 points
Gort v drumkeeran - drumkeerin blew it last weekend by all accounts, i expect gortlettragh to have that little bit more quality and win by the a point or two. rumour has it drumkeerin manager had a smart one for casey at ht when they were so far ahead of the neds and ended up being beaten, charity!!
Manor v aughnasheelin - huge win for the neds to overturn a substantial half time deficit last weekend, confidence will be high, as will manors. manors big game experience will help and they will win by 4/5.
Ballinagleara v the village - this will be a spicy one, bad blood between these teams, leitrim village just that little bit better in my opinion and will win by a point.
Mohill v the willies - mohill won last weekend and never were in trouble, this will be a bigger test but the strength in depth is incredible, will win here by 4/5.

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 42 - 04/04/2018 12:45:17    2090994

Link

Anyone at the manor aughnasheelin game? Huge score to put up, were aughnasheelin missin a few?

Leitrimabu17 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 07/04/2018 23:19:16    2091588

Link

I went to the Mohill and Aughawillan game as a neutral as I expected it to be the best game in the county at the weekend. Here are a few things I learned.
1 - Thank god this game was played in Mohill as Aughawillan might have one of the best teams in the county but their pitch is a wet marshy bog
2- Shane Quinn never has a game under a 7/8 rating - Mohills most important player
3- Along with being Aughawillan's best player Mark Plunkett was easily the best player on the pitch even if his team was being over run
4 - Ronan Gallagher and Darren McLoughlin probably made the right call leaving Mohill this year as their replacements are arguably better - Mohill depth is scary - Two young Harkin brothers and the youngest Mitchell were superb for young players
5 - The game plan Mohill are trying to implement is quite like Dublin's - keep possession at all cost and keep wide until you get your shooters on the ball in the best position - Very impressive
6 - Mohill probably deserved to win by atleast 12 points - Missed four clear goal scoring opportunities at least
7- The fact that Aughawillan seemed to be missing half a team were out played and yet only lost by two scores against the best squad in the county sums up that club - If every other team could learn something from Aughawillans attitude our county would be in a better place
8- Aughawillans Goalkeeper is by far the best shot stopper in the county - both sets of supporters went away in awe of some of the saves he made - How he is not or has never been on the county panel especially when we have a keeper crisis is baffling
9 - Both these teams are miles ahead of anything else in this county at present and as a neutral I would love this to be the county final pairing as their seems to be a bit of needle between both sets of players which adds to the game
10 - The only fathomable reason I can see that Aughawillan's Flanagan isn't on the county team is his temperament but in a county with such small playing base can we afford to overlook someone with his pure strength and ability
11 - The old *BS line that Leitrim don't have talent is proved redundant when you consider that Keith Beirne, Domhnail Flynn, Shane Quinn, Keegan, Mitchell, Oisin Madden, Mark Plunkett, Sean Flanagan, Gary Plunkett, Colin McGuire were all playing in this game and have huge talent. This doesn't even count Noel Plunkett, Pearce Dolan, Fergal McTague, Caillain Canning and Ronan Kennedy who were missing and are good enough to make an impact at inter county level.
12 - There's a common theme here but how is the likes of Gary Plunkett (especially), Flanagan and their Goalkeeper McGuire not on the Leitrim panel, and this doesn't even account for Dolan who is injured is beyond me. I quizzed some of the Augahwillans supporters and there seems to be a genuine apathy to the county management and with how some of their players have been treated in the last few years. Some were even saying that M.Plunkett was crazy for going back in with Benny? I would hope come next year and a new management this will change. But it frustrated me an untold amount how good the 2 Plunketts, Flanagan and their keeper were (even when losing badly) and we seen none of them represent Leitrim during the league. We know the Willies can be difficult to put up with but we can't do without their top players.
13- Keith Beirne, Oisin Madden, Mitchells x 2, Harkins x2, Shane Quinn, Domhnaill Flynn, Keegan, and Canning are all under 25 - The only thing that will stop this group of Mohill players winning 3 of four more championships is their attitude and drive.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 09/04/2018 11:51:05    2091808

Link

That's a very good post. It frustrates me that the observer don't do in-depth reports like this as I can't see big games like these when I am out supporting my own club.
In completely separate ways what both Mohill and Augahwillan are doing is exceptional. Mohill may have the population base but the underage coaching and player development that they are doing is so much better than anywhere else. They aren't just producing quality players they are producing numerous quality players. They younger ones seem to have a better skill level than those they are over taking which is frightening.
Where as in Aughawillans case it is more cyclical. If you look at the surnames of their player they are nearly identical to their great teams of the 80s and 90s Quinns, Gilheanys, Priors, Flanagans, Plunketts and McTagues. That does not take away from what they are doing however as they have one of the lowest population bases in the country yet still manage to get these players through to senior level with a defined identity and culture and that's even before we discuss their skill level which is as good as Mohill's when they are going well.
Mohill might have the population base but so do Manor, Carrick, Ballinamore, Drumshanbo, Carrigallen, Leitrim Gaels etc. It's no good having big player numbers if the coaching and structures aren't correct which is what Mohill have shown.
Aughawillan have to be a template for clubs like Fenagh, Aughnasheelin, Dromahair, Drumkieran, Etc. etc. who are trying to make a break through. They just have to create a culture and get a buy in from their players and not give a seconds thought to what other clubs think of them and make hay when the sun shines because it won't last forever especially in a smaller club there is only a certain period for success before you have to start again.

And yes the Aughawillans player's involvement at county level (or the lack of it) is a major issue that has not been debated enough. Even though they have won two out of the last four championships (the same as Mohill) they have only had one player (Noel Plunkett) who has not even been getting game time from Benny, on the panel this year. That will change when M Plunkett plays in New York. But as a comparison Mohill have atleast 8 on the panel at the moment (deservedly so). Something is wrong there, Whether Benny has an issue with Aughawillan and won't select them or the players won't commit to the panel when Benny is in charge I am not sure. But one thing I do know is that it is crazy that in a county with small numbers and when we are struggling how can we afford to do without players who have won two out of the last four championships? It needs to be sorted by next year.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 09/04/2018 12:34:37    2091821

Link

Wasn't at any of the games over the weekend. Not really any surprising results. Obviously the hammering manor gave neds sticks out. Good win for leitrim gaels had to be one to target in order to stay up obviously a poor result for glera. SOH moving well too.

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 09/04/2018 14:14:53    2091849

Link

Anybody at the manor neds game? Serious score to put up by manor

Leitrim007 (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 09/04/2018 16:41:34    2091894

Link

Enjoyed that report on the Mohill and Willies game. What shape is Domhnail Flynn in? He might be a bolter for the Bronx. It seems as if Mohill are the team to beat again this year which is no surprise. Then Manor, The Willies and Ballinamore just under them. I still feel Melvin Gaels will come good when they get a few more of their players back from injury and college etc.
Just on a few of the above points. Quinn is terrific and has a nonstop engine. Has been a huge addition to the county team this year and will hopefully be back again next year. My only concern with him is that he can get involved in needless off the ball stuff but once he irons that out he will only get better.

On Mark Plunkett, if I was the county manager I'd be playing him at 11 and building my team around him. He ticks all the boxes and from what I've been told is a leader and as dedicated as they come so it said a lot to me that he would not commit to Benny from the start of the year. Hopefully he can stay clear from injuries.

Any Mohill team with Keith Beirne and Ronan Kennedy it will be hard to stop. As what team have two top class defenders in their full back line? Many have one but not two. If they win Leitrim again I can see them seriously targeting a Connacht championship over the next few years. They're the only Leitrim team with the numbers and bench to realistically have a chance.

On the Aughawillan players not committing - I've asked a few people about this and as we all know 'club comes first' to them. But its broader than that they seem to have no belief in Benny's methods and he has rubbed a few of them up the wrong way so the opinion is that they will do more good giving full commitment to their club. They also claim that only TWO Aughawillan players were approached and pursued this year. In my view their goalkeeper (even if his kick outs are suspect at times), Gary, Mark and Noel Plunkett, Pearce Dolan and Flanagan are all capable of being on the panel at the very least. The youngest McTague with good coaching might also prove in the long run that he is good enough as he is powerful and played CB for Leitrim U21 two years ago. Gilheany was in a few seasons ago but to be fair we are well stocked for forwards at this stage so it's probably right he hasn't been called. In the case of Flanagan every team including my own will vouch that he has the required talent and physical abilities to easily make the Leitrim team but he seems to either row with opposing player, the ref or his own team mates every game so that might explain why he has not been called upon. But beggars can't be choosers and it can be argued the county team are missing some bite. The two key ones are Dolan and M.Plunkett both excellent fielders who can kick long range scores and win their own ball, the type of players Leitrim are crying out for and it would be a shame if they never showcased their talents at county level.

I'd be interested if Ballinamore can really push on this year as I have them down as dark horses. Probably only the Willies and Mohill have the talent of Moran, Murphy, Dean and Niall McGovern , McKeown and Feely available to them.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 09/04/2018 17:40:19    2091916

Link

my starting team for the new york game would be
1 diarmuid mckiernan
2 M Murphy
3 donal wrynn
4 paddy maguire
5 james rooney
6 shane doonan
7 oisin madden
8 dean mcgovern
9 damien moran
10 ryan o rourke
11 emylyn mulligan
12 stephen gilheany
13 ronan kennedy
14 keith beirne
15 darragh rooney

I reckon that team would be hard stopped, dont think new york would have a chance, subs that i would use would be the likes of noel plunklett, eoin mcgourty and barry mcgovern. Id probably get shane doonan to pick up jamie clark and have wrynn to captain the side

slug101 (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 09/04/2018 21:22:50    2091964

Link

Replying To slug101:  "my starting team for the new york game would be
1 diarmuid mckiernan
2 M Murphy
3 donal wrynn
4 paddy maguire
5 james rooney
6 shane doonan
7 oisin madden
8 dean mcgovern
9 damien moran
10 ryan o rourke
11 emylyn mulligan
12 stephen gilheany
13 ronan kennedy
14 keith beirne
15 darragh rooney

I reckon that team would be hard stopped, dont think new york would have a chance, subs that i would use would be the likes of noel plunklett, eoin mcgourty and barry mcgovern. Id probably get shane doonan to pick up jamie clark and have wrynn to captain the side"
That's not a bad team but how can you leave out mohills Shane Quinn who has been outstanding and most consistent player for Leitrim this year and there is a few more players there as well plus I think you may b a bit biased sounds like a good Fenagh Ballinamore man

Johnnyk1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 09/04/2018 21:49:07    2091969

Link

Replying To Johnnyk1234:  "That's not a bad team but how can you leave out mohills Shane Quinn who has been outstanding and most consistent player for Leitrim this year and there is a few more players there as well plus I think you may b a bit biased sounds like a good Fenagh Ballinamore man"
sorry forgot about shane quinn, no doubt hes having a great year, another mohill man who i think has impressed this year is brian beirne, he could maybe slot in ahead of mulligan as i dont think mulligan is match ready yet

slug101 (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 09/04/2018 21:59:46    2091971

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "I went to the Mohill and Aughawillan game as a neutral as I expected it to be the best game in the county at the weekend. Here are a few things I learned.
1 - Thank god this game was played in Mohill as Aughawillan might have one of the best teams in the county but their pitch is a wet marshy bog
2- Shane Quinn never has a game under a 7/8 rating - Mohills most important player
3- Along with being Aughawillan's best player Mark Plunkett was easily the best player on the pitch even if his team was being over run
4 - Ronan Gallagher and Darren McLoughlin probably made the right call leaving Mohill this year as their replacements are arguably better - Mohill depth is scary - Two young Harkin brothers and the youngest Mitchell were superb for young players
5 - The game plan Mohill are trying to implement is quite like Dublin's - keep possession at all cost and keep wide until you get your shooters on the ball in the best position - Very impressive
6 - Mohill probably deserved to win by atleast 12 points - Missed four clear goal scoring opportunities at least
7- The fact that Aughawillan seemed to be missing half a team were out played and yet only lost by two scores against the best squad in the county sums up that club - If every other team could learn something from Aughawillans attitude our county would be in a better place
8- Aughawillans Goalkeeper is by far the best shot stopper in the county - both sets of supporters went away in awe of some of the saves he made - How he is not or has never been on the county panel especially when we have a keeper crisis is baffling
9 - Both these teams are miles ahead of anything else in this county at present and as a neutral I would love this to be the county final pairing as their seems to be a bit of needle between both sets of players which adds to the game
10 - The only fathomable reason I can see that Aughawillan's Flanagan isn't on the county team is his temperament but in a county with such small playing base can we afford to overlook someone with his pure strength and ability
11 - The old *BS line that Leitrim don't have talent is proved redundant when you consider that Keith Beirne, Domhnail Flynn, Shane Quinn, Keegan, Mitchell, Oisin Madden, Mark Plunkett, Sean Flanagan, Gary Plunkett, Colin McGuire were all playing in this game and have huge talent. This doesn't even count Noel Plunkett, Pearce Dolan, Fergal McTague, Caillain Canning and Ronan Kennedy who were missing and are good enough to make an impact at inter county level.
12 - There's a common theme here but how is the likes of Gary Plunkett (especially), Flanagan and their Goalkeeper McGuire not on the Leitrim panel, and this doesn't even account for Dolan who is injured is beyond me. I quizzed some of the Augahwillans supporters and there seems to be a genuine apathy to the county management and with how some of their players have been treated in the last few years. Some were even saying that M.Plunkett was crazy for going back in with Benny? I would hope come next year and a new management this will change. But it frustrated me an untold amount how good the 2 Plunketts, Flanagan and their keeper were (even when losing badly) and we seen none of them represent Leitrim during the league. We know the Willies can be difficult to put up with but we can't do without their top players.
13- Keith Beirne, Oisin Madden, Mitchells x 2, Harkins x2, Shane Quinn, Domhnaill Flynn, Keegan, and Canning are all under 25 - The only thing that will stop this group of Mohill players winning 3 of four more championships is their attitude and drive."
If Mohill's game plan is similar to Dublin's as you claim, then Benny Guckian could do worse than have a close look, it could benefit the county team.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 10/04/2018 09:30:31    2092004

Link

Kinlough v carrick - carrick by 1. Hard to read this one carrick won't be at full tilt no doubt but kinlough seem to be leaking goals.
Leitrim v mohill - leitrim to set up a wall of men behind the ball but won't be near good enough to beat this quality mohill side
Drumkeeran v ballinamore - tight enough game on the cards here I think but ballinamore quality to shine through in last 10
Willies v manor - another tight game but manor flying at the minute just too strong for the willies
Fenagh v ballinagleara - tough one to call but without Ryan o rourke il go for a draw

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 13/04/2018 15:37:10    2092861

Link

Some real shocks yesterday. Mohill needing last minute point for draw v 13 man Leitrim Gaels. Ballinamore making comeback v Drumkeerin to draw. Melvin Gaels finding form. Manor flying still. Willies struggling. League has already had more twists with the exception of Manor all other teams look close to each other on any given day than we might have expected. Hard to call who will be relegated even though Ballinaglera have made it hard not having any points from first three games.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 15/04/2018 02:07:11    2093052

Link