Leitrim Forum

Club league 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any idea of when the league is starting or is there a master fixture plan released?

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 09/01/2018 13:55:29    2067509

Link

There is no reason master fixtures have not or can't be released by now especially when clubs have voted for playing rounds without County players. It would be great for players to be able to make plans for holidays in January when flights are on sale. It seems to be bottom of the list of priorities in recent years. But seeing the mess in Waterford I suppose all competitions did end in calendar year in Leitrim so I suppose we should be grateful for that. I hear last weekend of March div 1 & 2 kickoff. Has this been fully confirmed.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 16/01/2018 10:59:24    2068659

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "There is no reason master fixtures have not or can't be released by now especially when clubs have voted for playing rounds without County players. It would be great for players to be able to make plans for holidays in January when flights are on sale. It seems to be bottom of the list of priorities in recent years. But seeing the mess in Waterford I suppose all competitions did end in calendar year in Leitrim so I suppose we should be grateful for that. I hear last weekend of March div 1 & 2 kickoff. Has this been fully confirmed."
How unusual of bananapublican to go off on a negative rant of total tripe!

Anyway if you bothered to attend a club meeting or lift your head off your keyboard you'd be aware that as with every other year master fixtures cannot be made until teams are affiliated. Very hard to make fixtures when you don't know how many teams you have or how many divisions there will be.

But don't mind that - its easier to post random muck up here and blame others at random.

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 16/01/2018 12:13:20    2068675

Link

Castlefore easy solution is bring forward registration, but one thing for sure is Div 1 & 2 teams are almost a foregone conclusion so weekends for games can be fixed. Only a major disaster like an earthquake or famine or mass emigration will negatively effect those 2 divisions. Anyway take it from your petty response you must be at the helm of these and many of the other glorious decisions in recent years. Take a bow sir.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 16/01/2018 16:10:07    2068724

Link

I'm a recent club officer and I stay involved and attend club meetings so I know what's happening rather that just guessing and posting it on here. And for what its worth I am very proud of the work I done while there. Do you really think its ok for you to jump to ill informed conclusions and post them on here blaming all in sundry for what you assume to be the case?

Think about your last post - If they released a possible master fixture list that might have to be changed after teams register will you tell us what use is that to anyone? It's Jan 16th today with no league competitions ever starting before mid March, realistically how much sooner do you think registration of 2018 teams should take place?

Try for even a few posts to stop the constant negativity and problem finding - you'll enjoy life a whole lot better :)

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 16/01/2018 17:25:52    2068739

Link

Aside from a major catastrophe can you explain from once convention was over why you need teams to register in the top 2/3 divisions? They automatically are known. A starting date, dates when games are fixed for really don't need huge planning, you need a calendar, a pen, fixtures for under 20 county team, fixtures for senior football and hurling county teams and away you go. As a person who has served in almost every position on my own club committee I am aware how things work. Gross incompetence is all I see. To even try and make an argument about club registrations is ridiculous. Every club knows their first 13/second 13 it's only at county level it gets confusing. If a team by some miracle drops out of a league, their games become byes. Not rocket science. And by the way I am speaking on behalf of a full dressing room who have been back training two weeks. We all can't be wrong.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 16/01/2018 18:44:08    2068755

Link

Think I'll park it at that, your completely bogged in your own negativity - even trying to educate you or get you to reflect on things is pointless.

Obviously not related to the discussion but a quote I heard some years ago...
"never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his own level and beat you on experience"

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 16/01/2018 19:41:23    2068762

Link

And never argue and play happy families and a lot will be achieved. Any club would be lucky to have you.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 17/01/2018 00:39:03    2068787

Link

New Year, new hope. Let's hope master fixtures are out soon with dates for rounds of league and championship as I for one hope to get to NY and have a holiday with herself in June/July dates permitting. Great sales on Ryanair and Aer Lingus at the moment. I hate to miss out on value, and quake value it is.
Castlefore and Banana kiss and make up. By the sounds of it both of ye have little say in it so go to your delegates and find out dates. I am fairly certain that the County Board have the master fixtures almost complete with allowances made for progression by the county team in League and Championship. They usually have and last years overall went very smooth with Championship pushed back a week only.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 17/01/2018 12:04:28    2068836

Link

Before a ball is kicked in 2018 I'm going to rank teams from 1-24
1. mohil
2. Willies
3. Manor
4. SOH
5. St.Marys
6. Melvin Geals
7. Gortletteragh
8. Aughnasheelin
9. Allen Gaels
10. Drumreilly
11.Leitrim Gaels
12. fenagh
13. Drumkeerin
14. Ballinaglera
15. Dromahair
16. Cloone
17.Bornacoola
18. annaduff
19. Kiltubrid
20. C,gallen
21. Aughvas
22. Eslin
23. Glenfaren
24. St osnetts

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 25/01/2018 15:14:06    2070596

Link

Division One:
1. Mohill
2. Aughawillan
3. SOH
4. Manor
5. Melvin Gaels
6. Aughnasheelin
7. St Marys
8. Fenagh
9. Leitrim Gaels
10. Drumkieran
11. Gortletragh
12. Ballinaglera
Division Two:
1. Allen Gaels
2. Mohill 2nds
3. Dromahair
4. Annaduff
5. Carrigallen
6. Cloone
7. Boornacoola
8. Drumreilly
9. Kiltubrid
10. Manor 2nds
11. Melvin 2nds

By far the most interesting and in my view strongest year of club football we have had in 30 years.
In Division one its quiet clear who the top two teams have been in the last 4 years Aughawillan and Mohill. However, The Willies lack of numbers curtails them so sometimes it's hard to predict how they will go in the league. This year their players exiles from the county team should mean that they are fully focused and will be ahead of steam early in the year. SOH really need to target the league in order to find a few new players especially forwards who are going to bring them to the next level come championship. Melvin Gaels are the ones everyone will be looking to see how they go, they have a very successful manager back and only Mohill and the Willies can arguably say they have three forwards of the calibre of Mulligan, Rooney and McGloin. Their defence is also solid with the three Ryans, McMorrow and Ferguson. Aughnasheelin will have confidence after winning the intermediate last year; their defence is solid with the McWeeney's, Earley and Dolan. They have Cullen who can dominate games if fit and his younger (potentially better) brother and Aaron Hoare are coming through this year and are ones to watch. Fenagh continue to flatter to deceive and will use the league to bed in a few more players in order to finally win the intermediate. They will comfortably stay up and with O'Rourke and Wrynn in their team will take a few scalps. St Mary's have loads of talent but commitment can sometimes be an issue especially at this time of year, They still have the likes of Michael McWeeney, Nicholas McWeeney, Ray Mulvey, Daire Farrell, James McGrail, Jack DeLacy and a very good young corner forward in Gary O'Daly who would all walk onto any other team in the county. Manor are Manor and will be in the top four teams it just depends on the hunger of their players and if they have any young lads coming through, More importantly will Gilmartin and Glancy continue and has Paddy McGuire YoYoing had any effect? I really feel Drumkieran, Gort and Ballinaglera will struggle at this level as they all have one or two players of real quality but not as many others up to the standard. This is why I think a 10 team league would have been perfect and rose standards throughout the four divisions.

In Division Two it's probably the last chance saloon for many of these Allen Gaels players to finally fulfil their potential. They have Diarmuid McKiernan, Alan Wynne, Thomas and Brian Mulvey and Nicholas Moore who have all played for the county team in the last few years and have a lot of good players around them like Walsh and Martin Beirne. It's baffling that they are in Division two but it could be good for regaining their confidence so I would expect them to win it out. The standard of players that Mohill are producing should scare the rest of the county and they should be there or there abouts to win Division Two. Annaduff had a bizarre finish to the year and really shouldn't have gone down so I would expect them to challenge. This is a hard division to predict with teams of all a similar standard playing eachother. Carrigallen seem to be on the rise a small bit and Dromahair have a few fine players. With the age profile of their team I expect Drumreilly to only be focusing on the championship but they should still be well able for most teams in this division. It's then a toss-up between the rest of the teams although Ballinamore's 2nds should be strong. Cloone have scoring threat in the Carberrys and Damien Moran will have to continue to drag the Boors along.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 25/01/2018 17:56:04    2070631

Link

Good that the fixtures have now been released and teams can start to make concrete plans. I would say there will be some very unhappy clubs whenever the draw is done to decide which rounds are played without county players. Common since would say that it will be during April as taking the risk of our county players getting injured before New York would be stupid especially with how badly they are going. Leitrim Gaels for example will lose their main players and Fenagh will lose Wrynn and O'Rourke which will be tuff for two teams trying to establish themselves. Just looking at the groups it annoys me even further that the amount of teams per division weren't reduced at the congress. I've a feeling Gort, Ballinaglera and Drumkieran will really struggle in Division One and it will be a mini league in itself between them to decide who gets relegated. 10 teams would have drove the standards up straight away. It would also then have left time for a semi-final and final situation. Mohill's squad depth should frighten the rest of the county as their secon team should be able to win most games in Divison two. The Willies may benefit from the lack of their players on the county panel especially in the starred games. I expect big things from both Melvin Gaels and Ballinamore this year and the league will give them a chance to gain confidence and consistency at a high level. Will be interesting to see how Manor cope now that McGuire's transfer is supposedly gone through. Their age profile has to be worrying for them. I expect both Fenagh and Aughnasheelin to cause a good few shocks throughout the year.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 19/02/2018 10:19:47    2078252

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Good that the fixtures have now been released and teams can start to make concrete plans. I would say there will be some very unhappy clubs whenever the draw is done to decide which rounds are played without county players. Common since would say that it will be during April as taking the risk of our county players getting injured before New York would be stupid especially with how badly they are going. Leitrim Gaels for example will lose their main players and Fenagh will lose Wrynn and O'Rourke which will be tuff for two teams trying to establish themselves. Just looking at the groups it annoys me even further that the amount of teams per division weren't reduced at the congress. I've a feeling Gort, Ballinaglera and Drumkieran will really struggle in Division One and it will be a mini league in itself between them to decide who gets relegated. 10 teams would have drove the standards up straight away. It would also then have left time for a semi-final and final situation. Mohill's squad depth should frighten the rest of the county as their secon team should be able to win most games in Divison two. The Willies may benefit from the lack of their players on the county panel especially in the starred games. I expect big things from both Melvin Gaels and Ballinamore this year and the league will give them a chance to gain confidence and consistency at a high level. Will be interesting to see how Manor cope now that McGuire's transfer is supposedly gone through. Their age profile has to be worrying for them. I expect both Fenagh and Aughnasheelin to cause a good few shocks throughout the year."
Great to see the club fixtures for 2018 out. It's hard to know really what teams will cause an upset. There is 2 league within the league
Mohil
Manor
Willlie
SOH
Melvin Gaels
St Mary's
All able to beat each other and pushing for a league final spot. then you will have the next 6 teams battling to avoid the drop
Aughnasheelin
Leitrim Gaels
Fenagh
Gortletteragh
Drumkeerin
Ballinaglera
Who ever from this mini league picks up the most points will stay up and if they can beat one team from the top 6 it will be a huge boost.

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 21/02/2018 22:10:42    2079095

Link

I assume now first round of the league will be put back to accomadate the London game. So only 2 league games will be played between now and 2nd week of may it this is the case.

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 03/03/2018 00:21:57    2081655

Link

Just wondering what will happen to the first round of club league games now that the inter-county teams game with London has moved to the weekend of the 31st March which was also the weekend marked down for the start of the league. The original fixtures have already been switched by the county board for some unknown reason. It will be a kick in the teeth to club panels/managers if the games they have been planning/training for are pushed back for 25 or so players that most haven't seen this year anyway. I would imagine certain clubs will be very frustrated if this happens. However, is it fair to ask other club such as Mohill who have a large contingent or Fenagh who have their two main players on the team to play without them? Could we use one of the starred games which we are going to utilize this year that weekend or will Guckian want them all in April to make sure no player gets injured before the New York game? Will be even harder to push them back if the county team don't win the next few games. Club players can't be forgotten about.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 06/03/2018 00:06:24    2082101

Link

So it all kicks off this weekend. I suppose it's hard to do predictions as it's hard to know what teams have much training done. Anyway I'll give it a go

Aughwillian v Ballinaglera = aughwillian win +8
St.Marys v Mohill = Mohill win +5
SOH v Leitrim Gaels = SOH win +5
Manor V Melvin Gaels= manor win +2
Aughnasheelin v Drumkeerin = Aughnasheelin win +5
Gortletteragh v Fenagh = Fenagh win +2

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 27/03/2018 00:32:34    2088561

Link

Aughawillan - Ballinaglera: As tuff as start as Ballinaglera could have got. The Willies will be trying to bounce back after last year. The word is that they are still missing players through travelling and injury but they should still account for Ballinaglera by about 7 points.

St Marys - Mohill: This could go one of two ways. St Marys can start like they do every other year and get steam rolled by a Mohill team who have a scary amount of depth in their squad or Marys could come out and put it up to them as they have enough talent to do so. However, I feel the former is more likely. Mohill by 8.

SOH - Leitrim Gaels: This could be the game of the weekend. Lots of county players on both teams who will be trying to prove to Benny that they deserve to start. Expect Ballinamore to have to much for them in the end though. SOH by 5

Manor - Melvin: This game could spell the changing of the guard. Without McGuire do Manor have the players to mark Mulligan, McGloin and Rooney? This could easily turn into a bad tempered affair where frees win out. Think Melvin might lay down a marker - The Gaels by 4

Aughnasheelin - Drumkieran: Two teams lacking in depth. But I Think the Neddies should have far too much quality with the McWeeneys, Earleys, Sammon etc. they should also be building on their momentum from last year. If Cullen is back I expect them to win easily if not I still expect them to win by 5.

Gort -V- Fenagh: I feel this could finally be Fenagh's year to get out of the Intermediate ranks. They've gained a few brilliant prospects from the underage ranks to give them the push on they need. This game looks like a match between two clubs going in opposite directions. Ryan O'Rourke supposedly tearing his hamstring will curtail Fenagh to no ends. If Fenagh can quieten Heslin a sufficient amount they should have more talent. Fenagh to win by 4

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 136 - 27/03/2018 11:26:51    2088634

Link

Willies v gleara > willies win
Maths v mohill > mohill win
Soh v the village > soh win
Manor v kinlough > manor win
Neds v drumkeeran > neds win
Gort v fenagh > fenagh win
Division 2 looks very exciting this year

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 27/03/2018 13:33:34    2088700

Link

Willies v gleara > tough one to start with for the glera but this wont be one of the games they are hoping to pick up points in, i expect them to have a right go but untimately come up 5/6 points short
Marys v mohill > marys always start to league slow and will be no different here, mohill by 10/12
SOH v Leitrim Gaels > this will not be a landslide, the village training very hard and going well, Bmore should have a little bit more and get the win by 2/3points
Manor v kinlough > this will be a good tough game of football but melvin gaels will be looking to lay down and a marker and will win by 5/6 points
Neds v drumkeerin > massive game for these two teams, new manager will have added a bit of steel to drumkeerin and they will be a better team this year in my opinion, i can see this ending in a draw.
Gort v fenagh > fenaghs second team had a great win in div 3 last weekend so they are obviusly going ok, still over reliant on a couple of players, id fancy gortlettragh here by 3/4 points

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 28/03/2018 10:13:31    2088950

Link

Good wins for ballinamore, mohill, aughwillian , aughnasheelin and suprisingly glencar manor . Anybody at any of the games ?

Leitrim007 (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 01/04/2018 18:27:55    2090062

Link