Dublin Forum

The goalkeeping question

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Jims failure to blood a second keeper to keep the pressure on stevo and stevos seemingly continuing downturn in form of recent times has me worried lads. Nothing hurts us more than when our leader and legendary keeper has mini meltdowns. It permeates thru the team and we are never more vulnerable. I would have hoped by now we would have at least a viable option between the sticks. Now i am on record as saying Cluxton is my favourite Dub of all tine and for me he is one of the 5 best footballers of all time... But time waits for no man lads. This is an issue. We have to address it.

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8136 - 01/03/2017 19:56:08    1962618

Link

Agree on the not blooding a second keeper, actually think young Commerford who lines out for the 21s will emerge as the long term solution or possibly lorcon molly of Anne's , the league would be an ideal testing ground , were I wouldn't agree is that I think Clukos demise is over exaggerated .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 01/03/2017 20:37:10    1962630

Link

Comerford is still very young, I think it's best to protect his development through the U21s. Cluxton is as dodger as he ever has been, no one infalable but his contribution to overall play is immense and he's still the best in the business.

The Keeper position isn't the most physically taxing of positions i the he will go on for another couple of years and Comerford will be pushed on over the next couple.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2798 - 01/03/2017 20:54:08    1962634

Link

I think Comerford is a better prospect than Lorcan Molloy.

I have watched Comerford closely in games recently and I think he will be our future goalkeeper.

I would like to see him a run out in one of our league game also - that experience will stand to him.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2647 - 01/03/2017 22:55:22    1962676

Link

Crazy thread , Cluxton the goat were blessed to have him. He's only 35 he's going nowhere thank god.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 01/03/2017 23:00:05    1962679

Link

CD, u genuinely 100% are not having even the slightest doubts/worries re stevo's form the last 18 months?

Really?

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8136 - 02/03/2017 10:47:29    1962733

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "CD, u genuinely 100% are not having even the slightest doubts/worries re stevo's form the last 18 months?

Really?"
Any wobble he's had he has reacted to it.

Look at the Kerry game last year. They got some joy off his kick outs at the end of the first half and then didn't even lay a glove on him in the second half. He was a major part of our comeback that day.

Teams spend so much time working on how to get at Cluxton that it is a huge advantage to us. There's a lot made of every time the opposition 'gets at Cluxton' but it's usually only a few plays per game. In all those games he still gave us far more than anything those teams have managed to nick off him.

He is the cornerstone and foundation of all our success. I'm sure if any team has ever had as important a player as Cluxton is to Dublin.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12678 - 02/03/2017 11:16:48    1962744

Link

I have no doubts or worries about Cluxton. His standard is as high as ever and a mini meltdown is what it is, with emphasis on the mini. Nobody is perfect and ultimately, he is still doing his job at a higher level than any other dub keeper.

Regardless, it is time to give others a bit of experience, especially in the league. Cluxton is a true Dub and would want what's best for the future of Dublin GAA but it is naive to think there isn't a plan in the works.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 899 - 02/03/2017 12:29:48    1962763

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "CD, u genuinely 100% are not having even the slightest doubts/worries re stevo's form the last 18 months?

Really?"
Genuinely no, yes he's made a few errors but the man is a freak , what he gives our team totally outweigh any little mistakes. Show me a keeper that doesn't make a mistake? He's so good that when a kick doesn't go to attended target the whole country reckon they've figured him out or he's rattle which is bs, they all try and copy him but none of them can get near his level.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 02/03/2017 16:12:09    1962869

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Any wobble he's had he has reacted to it.

Look at the Kerry game last year. They got some joy off his kick outs at the end of the first half and then didn't even lay a glove on him in the second half. He was a major part of our comeback that day.

Teams spend so much time working on how to get at Cluxton that it is a huge advantage to us. There's a lot made of every time the opposition 'gets at Cluxton' but it's usually only a few plays per game. In all those games he still gave us far more than anything those teams have managed to nick off him.

He is the cornerstone and foundation of all our success. I'm sure if any team has ever had as important a player as Cluxton is to Dublin."
Believe a keepers off day is always more visible than other players , people seem to do cometh the hour cometh the man for outfield players particularly forwards and all is forgotten , but that rarely applies to keepers .
Of course original poster raised two topics one the sands of time and in that aspect I do agree that we should be blooding a replacement regardless of when that unthinkable of moments occurs

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 02/03/2017 16:13:24    1962870

Link

Replying To FOB:  "I have no doubts or worries about Cluxton. His standard is as high as ever and a mini meltdown is what it is, with emphasis on the mini. Nobody is perfect and ultimately, he is still doing his job at a higher level than any other dub keeper.

Regardless, it is time to give others a bit of experience, especially in the league. Cluxton is a true Dub and would want what's best for the future of Dublin GAA but it is naive to think there isn't a plan in the works."
Fingers crossed it will not happen .. but if Cluxton gets a long term injury .. have we a man to step up ..... I hope that Jim Gavin has one of his staff
keeping an eye across the the City for any new talent ,, Perhaps a goalkeeper trials day might work .. invite the big and the brave together for a few hours and set a few skills challenges etc , ,

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 61 - 02/03/2017 16:45:18    1962882

Link

Replying To Heffo:  "Fingers crossed it will not happen .. but if Cluxton gets a long term injury .. have we a man to step up ..... I hope that Jim Gavin has one of his staff
keeping an eye across the the City for any new talent ,, Perhaps a goalkeeper trials day might work .. invite the big and the brave together for a few hours and set a few skills challenges etc , ,"
Can't agree with trials, with resources we have see them play , no doubt Commerford was watched with under 21s , lorcon Malloy has achieved a lot already in the blue , everyone knows about Savage , club football is as good a trial as anything bring them into the fold on the back of that and then into camp , I'm sure a successor is being eyed up it's the experience or lack of I'm worried about , also Cluckp makes it look so easy next fella up will find it isn't and they are probably the. Ingest shoes to fill in gaelic football

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 02/03/2017 18:42:46    1962911

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Jims failure to blood a second keeper to keep the pressure on stevo and stevos seemingly continuing downturn in form of recent times has me worried lads. Nothing hurts us more than when our leader and legendary keeper has mini meltdowns. It permeates thru the team and we are never more vulnerable. I would have hoped by now we would have at least a viable option between the sticks. Now i am on record as saying Cluxton is my favourite Dub of all tine and for me he is one of the 5 best footballers of all time... But time waits for no man lads. This is an issue. We have to address it."
I was thinking of starting a thread like this but I was afraid there would be hunt to find where I live and hang me for treason! :)

The problem is that Cluxton is no ordinary keeper, he is a one off player.
There is also the problem that his powers are waning, either that or he is loosing concentration, because teams rarely get a chance attack Dublin and get goals.

I think once Cluxton retires it will be the beginning of the end of this Dublin glory era and the "process" will collapse.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 02/03/2017 21:43:18    1962977

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I was thinking of starting a thread like this but I was afraid there would be hunt to find where I live and hang me for treason! :)

The problem is that Cluxton is no ordinary keeper, he is a one off player.
There is also the problem that his powers are waning, either that or he is loosing concentration, because teams rarely get a chance attack Dublin and get goals.

I think once Cluxton retires it will be the beginning of the end of this Dublin glory era and the "process" will collapse."
You may be right, it will be time to stick a couple of old school fielders in the middle of the park, we already have one and a mobile one at that. We won't have as much possession as we're used to now but we will have footballers of talent and attitude, we'll always be up there.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7696 - 03/03/2017 00:37:37    1963031

Link

I was thinking of starting a thread like this but I was afraid there would be hunt to find where I live and hang me for treason! :)

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts:669 - 02/03/2017 21:43:18

And rightly so.

The reason that Liamo can start this thread is because he lives in Limerick and he knows that none of us know where Limerick is.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12678 - 03/03/2017 08:08:24    1963044

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Any wobble he's had he has reacted to it.

He is the cornerstone and foundation of all our success. I'm sure if any team has ever had as important a player as Cluxton is to Dublin."
Have to agree he has brought the kick out / restart to such a level every other county is now trying to copy it..he hit the target 18 from 21 against Kerry all you have to do is look at Mayo and the way they reacted when Dublin won 3 of Clarke's kickouts at the end of that game that's the level of scrutiny that's on the kick out now and that's all down to Clinton's continued excellence.

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 826 - 03/03/2017 09:00:25    1963052

Link

Mr Cluxton will be just fine.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 03/03/2017 12:03:40    1963127

Link

I think ye all know the regard i hold him in, so I presume I don't need to go down the route of explaining myself.
But, I do challenge ye lads to tell me the last time Stevo pulled of a "top class save" to keep us in a game
And come on, its not like we don't concede goals........

As I said, anyone who knows me on here down the years knows what I think of THE MAN

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8136 - 03/03/2017 14:19:28    1963179

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "I think ye all know the regard i hold him in, so I presume I don't need to go down the route of explaining myself.
But, I do challenge ye lads to tell me the last time Stevo pulled of a "top class save" to keep us in a game
And come on, its not like we don't concede goals........

As I said, anyone who knows me on here down the years knows what I think of THE MAN"
He's made a few saves alright but the last one to keep us in the game was in 2014 against Donegal

Spectacular one handed save

Up there with one of the best saves I've ever seen in CP

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 03/03/2017 15:32:00    1963212

Link

Look at the Mayo scenario re keepers last year , two keepers with very different qualities , Stephen has them both , top class saves prove nothing it's like a forward who scores wonder goals they are but a moment in time , judge the man on consistency of performance in all facets of the job , for me still tops in Dublin

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5183 - 03/03/2017 17:09:00    1963245

Link