Dublin Forum

The Dubs: NFL DIV 1 / NHL 1B 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

During the Kerry Dublin match I was thinking.

It will be interesting to see the development / evolution of these two sides over the next four / five years.

The Kerry team should be at the top of thier game by then.
Dublin will have a very different starting team then they do now.

But if Jim or the next manager after him keeps gradually introducing fresh blood to "the process"
there could be some terrific games in the next few years.

I am looking forward to that.
Plus in four/five years time that great Mayo generation will be gone, so we won't have to listen to them whinging about losing finals because they won't be in them.

The history of the 1970s look like they could repeat themselves aging Dublin team v young Kerry pups?

Also, I am delighted the hurlers did not get relegated.
Would have been a terrible setback.
In light of Limerick's promotion, it should give Dublin hope next year.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 11/03/2018 20:14:57    2083596

Link

That'll do nicely x 2

Happy for the hurlers

Took the positives from the Galway performance and performed well today

Let's hope for any good performance next day out

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 11/03/2018 20:16:23    2083597

Link

Nice win today.
Galway will be sterner test I think.
Kerry will be looking to the future after this drubbing and will have learned what the standard is after today.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2010 - 11/03/2018 20:50:49    2083622

Link

I thought Paddy Small did well last night

Lovely left foot point and had a hand in another 3 or 4 scores

I'd like to see him get his start

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 12/03/2018 09:54:32    2083818

Link

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "Nice win today.
Galway will be sterner test I think.
Kerry will be looking to the future after this drubbing and will have learned what the standard is after today."
I hope we do in the league final. Next Sunday we could have a raft of replacements out. Big test for us on April 1st but at least our curve is upwards and we are closing the gap to the few teams who are a good bit back from ye.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 12/03/2018 16:23:35    2083998

Link

6 NFL Div 1 finals on the bounce.

That's not bad is it?

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 18/03/2018 21:57:03    2085576

Link

Not bad at all

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7622 - 18/03/2018 22:59:39    2085598

Link

Deserved loss today but still could have sneaked a result

Fair play to Monaghan but from our own side of things of course it's a disappointment to have lost in Croke Park but win lose or draw we were still in the final so it was important to give the younger lads a go.

Again though big credit to Monaghan who have consistently put it up to Dublin in the league and they deserved a win.

Now onto the final itself and of course it goes without saying.. plenty to improve on but no harm having a loss as motivation.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 25/03/2018 17:05:49    2087743

Link

Yiz may not agree

But there's no harm in the last two results for Dublin. Life is not all about winning and complacency can impact any team and the last two results will give the management an opportunity to drill home a bit of direction.

I hope Jim continues with giving younger lads that have proven themselves across this campaign the opportunity to start.

I think Jim has learnt from not starting Scully last year.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 26/03/2018 13:00:49    2088254

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Yiz may not agree

But there's no harm in the last two results for Dublin. Life is not all about winning and complacency can impact any team and the last two results will give the management an opportunity to drill home a bit of direction.

I hope Jim continues with giving younger lads that have proven themselves across this campaign the opportunity to start.

I think Jim has learnt from not starting Scully last year."
I dont think there is any harm in losing the game itself. I actually didn't think (although hoped we would) be sitting in a league final at the start of the year so getting to the final is a bonus in itself, But I wont lie, I am on one hand a little concerned by the performance in the last 2 games, particularly yesterday, but then I also think on the other hand that Dublin are playing within themselves. Its very experimental. I feel this team are just ticking along with the bigger picture in mind. Weve played games particularly early on in the league where it seemed like we where just in training mode. Take a lead and sit back and practice our game management in the second half, Mayo being a good example of that in Castlebar. Think weve let teams show what they can do and gone to town in the third quarter and finished the game as a contest, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry being examples. I think theres a chance people will read too much into it to be fair, Monaghan where good, Dublin weren't great and we still only lost by a point. So I wouldn't be overly panicked. Good to see Evan Comerford getting game time.

I think ala Kerry a few weeks ago we will look to go out and lay down a marker against Galway and absolutely batter them, if not itll be close but we wont lose twice in 7 days, then when that's done and taken care off its just about getting through leinster and then the real stuff begins and youll see a different Dublin team in terms of approach and consistency in performance that we probably didn't see much off throughout the league.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13486 - 26/03/2018 13:55:39    2088277

Link

Basically the result yesterday was irrelevant other than it is nice to keep winning but it a whole lot more can be learned from losing. The game itself lacked real bit until the last 15 minutes and then both teams showed a little more interest in winning it. More importantly is that the fringe or younger players are getting time and then it is up to them to put their hand up through performances to make the jersey their own. in that regard brian howard is definitely doing that but outside him is there any of the other players going to become first team regulars this year. These guys are looking to become match winners and take over the mantle of multiple all-ireland winners so it won't be easy. Also think that there might be a little bit of a transition happening with the team. Where are paul flynn and connolly? How soon will we see paul mannion, bernard brogan, cian o' sullivan, jack mcaffrey and con o' callaghan. All fantastic players who would improve the team out of all recognition. Can some of these players arrive mid summer and click back into gear for the final big push? As could be seen yesterday kevin mc showed how important game time is for even top quality players as he was yards off the pace. Will we win next sunday well I am convinced that yesterdays team won't but with even ciaran kilkenny, johnny cooper and michael dara back in the starting fifteen I think we will. The bigger picture is the all-ireland however we will need to lay down a marker next week as Galway are on a roll and need to be pegged back down a little.

Adamski (Dublin) - Posts: 337 - 26/03/2018 15:30:28    2088334

Link

Folks young Scully is flying playing great stuff but when was it ok to take you're point when your clean tru on goal like he was yesterday? He Scores that we win , And I say that after Deano took the wrong option imo by fisting that point against Mayo in last years final, yes in hindsight we won but it didn't kill the game like a goal would of , if you're clean tru on goal you have to go for goal every time, thoughts?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9868 - 26/03/2018 16:34:47    2088359

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I dont think there is any harm in losing the game itself. I actually didn't think (although hoped we would) be sitting in a league final at the start of the year so getting to the final is a bonus in itself, But I wont lie, I am on one hand a little concerned by the performance in the last 2 games, particularly yesterday, but then I also think on the other hand that Dublin are playing within themselves. Its very experimental. I feel this team are just ticking along with the bigger picture in mind. Weve played games particularly early on in the league where it seemed like we where just in training mode. Take a lead and sit back and practice our game management in the second half, Mayo being a good example of that in Castlebar. Think weve let teams show what they can do and gone to town in the third quarter and finished the game as a contest, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry being examples. I think theres a chance people will read too much into it to be fair, Monaghan where good, Dublin weren't great and we still only lost by a point. So I wouldn't be overly panicked. Good to see Evan Comerford getting game time.

I think ala Kerry a few weeks ago we will look to go out and lay down a marker against Galway and absolutely batter them, if not itll be close but we wont lose twice in 7 days, then when that's done and taken care off its just about getting through leinster and then the real stuff begins and youll see a different Dublin team in terms of approach and consistency in performance that we probably didn't see much off throughout the league."
Well summed up chief

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 26/03/2018 17:18:06    2088387

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Folks young Scully is flying playing great stuff but when was it ok to take you're point when your clean tru on goal like he was yesterday? He Scores that we win , And I say that after Deano took the wrong option imo by fisting that point against Mayo in last years final, yes in hindsight we won but it didn't kill the game like a goal would of , if you're clean tru on goal you have to go for goal every time, thoughts?"
Yeah should have gone for goal. I thought we looked toothless up front yesterday, no cutting edge. Rock doesn't give us much from play let's face it and without Bernard, Paddy or Kev Mc (was poor and subbed) there is nobody running the angles. Thought Costello was poor enough and another game without a goal or any real openers is a sign of a blunt attack. Bit worrying with Berno, DC, Flynner? all likely out for the summer. Con and the young lads will have to step up big time.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 3830 - 26/03/2018 18:13:17    2088409

Link

The taste of defeat will be raw in the minds of the panel. A loss can be a great thing and it happened at the right time. Ultimately, we had the final in the bag and we got to try some new faces. The final will be different and the loss will act as a motivator to give the team real hunger for the final.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 896 - 27/03/2018 09:36:03    2088598

Link

Replying To FOB:  "The taste of defeat will be raw in the minds of the panel. A loss can be a great thing and it happened at the right time. Ultimately, we had the final in the bag and we got to try some new faces. The final will be different and the loss will act as a motivator to give the team real hunger for the final."
Yeah I think Jim planned the loss it is all part of "the process".... :D

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 27/03/2018 12:47:55    2088675

Link

Replying To Joxer:  "Yeah should have gone for goal. I thought we looked toothless up front yesterday, no cutting edge. Rock doesn't give us much from play let's face it and without Bernard, Paddy or Kev Mc (was poor and subbed) there is nobody running the angles. Thought Costello was poor enough and another game without a goal or any real openers is a sign of a blunt attack. Bit worrying with Berno, DC, Flynner? all likely out for the summer. Con and the young lads will have to step up big time."
Agree with most of above except your assessment of Cormac Costello. Watching live I thought he was lively even though he didn't score, only one attempt I think and that was well blocked. Watched the full recording last night and have to say he showed a lot of promise and maybe on the day was a bit unlucky. He made some great runs and was regularly the target for the outfield players, he skinned his man a few times but was unlucky to lose his footing. He won two frees and maybe a bit unlucky with the ref on couple of other occasions. He laid off the ball really well and I would be looking forward to him combining with the likes of O'Callaghan, Kilkenny and Mannion going forward. Cormac has speed and great peripheral vision, agreed things didn't break for him on Sunday, I believe, if he gets an injury free run, he's the real deal.

sligo joe (Dublin) - Posts: 94 - 27/03/2018 14:32:36    2088735

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Yiz may not agree

I think Jim has learnt from not starting Scully last year."
It is hardly worth even pretending to get dramatic about it.
Dublin needed only one point to qualify they got that point against Galway.
They were coasting home in second gear against Monaghan and only really woke up after McCarron's late goal.
It was just a challenge match with cameras for Dublin.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 982 - 28/03/2018 19:15:30    2089135

Link

Gas to see all the country folk blame the ref after every Dublin game , hate us so much they can only see it one way.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9868 - 01/04/2018 19:06:20    2090081

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Gas to see all the country folk blame the ref after every Dublin game , hate us so much they can only see it one way."
F them

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19544 - 01/04/2018 20:05:39    2090116

Link