Dublin Forum

The Dubs: NFL DIV 1 / NHL 1B 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Dublin v Offaly

For me a hard game to call but hopefully Dublin find a performance. I heard the 6am runs are back! :) Hope Dublin are in good shape and we see a confidence boosting win under the new setup and we get a hint of the sort of strategy that Gilroy and co are hoping to bring to the table. Plenty of potential in that setup and I'll be watching to see how much the players are up for it.

Dublin v Kildare

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of team takes to the field. Gavin handled the league preparations very well last year and I'd expect to see a similar strategy this year. Hoping to see some young faces like Basquel, Byrne, O'Gara, Howard, McHugh, P Small etc to get plenty of game time. It will be interesting to see what sort of shape the Dubs are in but if we base it on last year.. they were sharp enough and no doubt lads will. E pushing hard from the start to make an impression.

I'll go for 2 Dub wins by a combined score of 8 points

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 21/01/2018 18:20:22    2069710

Link

I don't think we will see too many newcomers to be honest...

I do say it every year though and every year Jim Gavin dismisses the idea as if he somehow knows what he is doing lol, but id love to see young Evan comerford get game time.

Reckon it will be a super strong team starting though. Reckon itll look something like this if id to guess

Cluxton

Fitzsimons
Cooper
McMahon

Lowndes
O'Sullivan
Scully

McCarthy
Fenton

Flynn
Connolly
Kilkenny

Andrews
Rock
B.Brogan

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 22/01/2018 10:35:27    2069796

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I don't think we will see too many newcomers to be honest...

I do say it every year though and every year Jim Gavin dismisses the idea as if he somehow knows what he is doing lol, but id love to see young Evan comerford get game time.

Reckon it will be a super strong team starting though. Reckon itll look something like this if id to guess

Cluxton

Fitzsimons
Cooper
McMahon

Lowndes
O'Sullivan
Scully

McCarthy
Fenton

Flynn
Connolly
Kilkenny

Andrews
Rock
B.Brogan"
Just a gut feeling but I'd be stunned if anything as strong as that took to the field , nothing to go in but I'd expect 10 of that team to take to the field at most , I know O Byrne cup didn't exactly throw up a certain starter but I'd still see expect to see squad rotation in play

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5177 - 22/01/2018 16:40:51    2069917

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Just a gut feeling but I'd be stunned if anything as strong as that took to the field , nothing to go in but I'd expect 10 of that team to take to the field at most , I know O Byrne cup didn't exactly throw up a certain starter but I'd still see expect to see squad rotation in play"
Literally just basing my team on fact we had a really good OB cup last year, some really good performances while the all ireland winning panel where on holidays and when we played our first league game in breffni most people myself included felt it'd be a team that saw a lot of the lads who impressed in the OB cup get a chance but instead apart from Jason Whelan and Niall Scully it was very strong as you can see below. But I don't particularly mind either way Damo but bearing in mind we went strong last year I just don't see why it will change this year.

Stephen Cluxton, Michael Fitzsimons, Philip McMahon, Jack McCaffrey, James McCarthy (0-02), John Small, Eric Lowndes, Brian Fenton (0-01), Michael Darragh Macauley (0-01), Ciaran Kilkenny (0-01), Kevin McManamon (0-01), Paul Mannion, Dean Rock (0-08, 6f), Niall Scully (0-02), Jason Whelan (0-01)

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 22/01/2018 18:16:52    2069937

Link

What do I know but for me we're looking at a few key men now the wrong side of 29 and perhaps coming out of their peak (while of course still remaining crucial to the team) but time waits for no man and transition will be happening soon and the league is an ideal platform to give some younger lads the opportunity to shine and grow in confidence.
They'll be needed in the not so distant future and there's no doubting the quality thats being lined up and I'm hoping to see a few changes across the league.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 23/01/2018 09:53:37    2070032

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "What do I know but for me we're looking at a few key men now the wrong side of 29 and perhaps coming out of their peak (while of course still remaining crucial to the team) but time waits for no man and transition will be happening soon and the league is an ideal platform to give some younger lads the opportunity to shine and grow in confidence.
They'll be needed in the not so distant future and there's no doubting the quality thats being lined up and I'm hoping to see a few changes across the league."
I'd be of a similar mindset , I don't remember thinking the Kerry players of the past were old ,I just remember watching and thinking at that age they can't get any better and at the moment we are beating them so we must have nothing to worry about , so there are miles in many of the lads legs and birth cents show another year added , do we go hell for leather for the league , or as in previous leagues take each game as it comes see where it takes us without ever truly exposing our full hand . Let's wait and see.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5177 - 24/01/2018 12:55:49    2070321

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "I'd be of a similar mindset , I don't remember thinking the Kerry players of the past were old ,I just remember watching and thinking at that age they can't get any better and at the moment we are beating them so we must have nothing to worry about , so there are miles in many of the lads legs and birth cents show another year added , do we go hell for leather for the league , or as in previous leagues take each game as it comes see where it takes us without ever truly exposing our full hand . Let's wait and see."
Leinster and achieving the 4 in a row is all that matters in 2018

For me it's not wise to go hell for leather for the league, we should be resting players while blooding the younger lads and take each game as it comes.

I'd be happy to see young lads get game time, stay as competitive as possible, stay up with a top 4 finish and hopefully avoid injuries.

Anything outside of that would be a bonus..

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 24/01/2018 17:19:38    2070390

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Leinster and achieving the 4 in a row is all that matters in 2018

For me it's not wise to go hell for leather for the league, we should be resting players while blooding the younger lads and take each game as it comes.

I'd be happy to see young lads get game time, stay as competitive as possible, stay up with a top 4 finish and hopefully avoid injuries.

Anything outside of that would be a bonus.."
Agree ,
It doesn't mean winning the league isn't on the agenda , blooding players and bringing players back from injury in a correct time and manner are key to a successful season\future, there is enough quality in our squad to take on the challenge of trying to win league and championship honors , going to be great watching them go at it again.Agree with Wayno1 let's blood Commerford or anyone as back up to Clucko , hopefully Howard can make a mark also .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5177 - 24/01/2018 17:46:48    2070402

Link

I'm not fussed about how we do in the league, I'd enjoy winning it of course but if we finished in the pack via blooding some youngsters and fringe players I would be just be as happy. In a way it's more fascinating seeing how the likes of Howard, Small, Basquel, O Gara, Murchen etc and the Scullys of this world may fare and push for the panel, rather then seeing the first team panel going hung ho for the NFL.

What I think will happen is we will go for the league and field fairly strong teams via much rotation, with the massive depth to cope. I think we will try and win it. I think it's Gavin philosphey, he has his standard and their won't be a slackening nor any tolerated. His approach is to never switch off , next game, next game, next game, same standard expected. His approach is to never pull up or pace.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 2191 - 24/01/2018 18:59:27    2070427

Link

What do you reckon so?

Stick my neck out.. Dubs by 4

Can't see Kildare beating Dublin on the big pitch

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 26/01/2018 09:53:38    2070717

Link

I'd expect the hurlers to account for Offaly. The league campaign is about player integration overall imo. Let's have a look at a good few players, I wouldn't be overly concerned about promotion at all. Being and staying in 1A wasn't much help to us under Cunningham!

The Kildare could be quite close with our footballers only back after their holliers. It's the best time for Kildare to come to Croker imo for them. I'd expect Dublin to have a league campaign similar to last year where they weren't really firing on all cylinders, but still managed to make the final. We got draws that maybe we shouldn't have last year so wouldn't be surprised to see us drop points again throughout the series of games. As always the aim will be to peak in August.

Looking forward to strolling up Clonliffe onto the Hill again in anyways!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12357 - 26/01/2018 10:19:37    2070727

Link

Be great to see the Gilroy era part II get off to an encouraging start

Hope the lads are well up for this one.

I echo your sentiments Mes!

Looking forward to the games

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 26/01/2018 11:07:19    2070744

Link

Very interesting team selection for both hurlers and footballers, Gilroy giving a lot of lads there wings , with Jim you can't say team will take to the field that's named if I had to put my knock on the line I'd suggest o gara comes in at last minute , can never ever guess a Gavin team in the league

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5177 - 27/01/2018 13:52:05    2071043

Link

I'd expect to see 2 changes

You're right Damo and Gavin likes to keep em guessing

Would like to see another couple of young lads but if they don't start hopefully they'll get some sort of game time.

Although that's a very balanced looking team there and a big game ahead especially for a number of Dub players

Hopefully Basquel and Howard do start but I was also hoping to see A Byrne

Looking forward to both games

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 27/01/2018 14:11:24    2071046

Link

Dubs getting outmuscled so far but a young side out there and trying hard

Hopefully get a few scores and get back into it. Superb goal we got so fingers crossed but Offaly looking good and playing well

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 27/01/2018 17:39:09    2071106

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Dubs getting outmuscled so far but a young side out there and trying hard

Hopefully get a few scores and get back into it. Superb goal we got so fingers crossed but Offaly looking good and playing well"
Dublin are shocking can't understand why there are 9 debutants on team.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 300 - 27/01/2018 17:56:59    2071112

Link

Really can't understand what dublin management are at. I'm sure those young fellas are better hurlers, but it's doing them no good been embarrassed like this, worst dublin hurling performance I've ever seen.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 300 - 27/01/2018 18:22:44    2071121

Link

Awful

That was the worst performance I've seen in a long long time from a Dublin team.

The game in Antrim has now become massive.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12357 - 27/01/2018 18:37:04    2071128

Link

Not the best performance for the hurlers alright and things won't get much easier

Hopefully a bit of form can be found and the debutants will take something from the game, there's plenty of room for improvement and players who can make an impact still to come in!

Looks like we need them but far from panic stations. Gilroy and co are only getting started.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18964 - 28/01/2018 19:10:15    2071507

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Not the best performance for the hurlers alright and things won't get much easier

Hopefully a bit of form can be found and the debutants will take something from the game, there's plenty of room for improvement and players who can make an impact still to come in!

Looks like we need them but far from panic stations. Gilroy and co are only getting started."
I don't know Jimbo. I'm massively worried about what I saw on Saturday night. That coupled with Antrim's display against Galway and things are looking grim.

There were probably 8 or so players there on Sat night that just simply aren't up to standard for inter county. I posted a big long post on Saturday that wasn't let through and probably correctly so from Admin.

We played with 2 sweepers at times but they were completely ineffectual as I'd say 80% of Offaly's scores from play were unopposed strikes.

The lack of basic skills, awful first touch and especially the inability to rise the ball in fairly good conditions is a worry heading up to Antrim.

It's very, very early but I'm still in a fouler after Saturday, nearly left before the football!

I was a big critic of Ger Cunningham but Saturday night was far worse than anything produced under his management.

Maybe we all took Offaly for granted but I think our trip to the Glens will tell a lot.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12357 - 29/01/2018 08:14:52    2071749

Link