Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Debate the issue with you, no thanks, especially in light of your defamatory comments above about a clearly identifiable individual.

I've said what I saw, which was nothing, so I'm not going down your route of judge, jury and executioner here. No complaint has been made and no investigation is underway so as far as I'm concerned nothing happened, move on. But instead you want to use this as means to kick a man when he's down. You talk about respect, well he alone in my view has done more than anyone to bring respect to Carlow football after 30 + years without any. Promotion and beating Kildare, not to mention the run the previous year and rattling Monaghan, has given Carlow respect. (If he infuriates other teams to hell with them, Meath and Donegal won all Ireland's with Boylan and McEniff effectively playing midfield for them). He deserves respect now too, to take time to see if he wants to give this another crack. I for one, and I'm not alone, hopes he gives it another year. With him, I believe we'll be promoted again and if not well so be it because I doubt we'll be promoted with anyone else coaching the team (which will probably break up if he goes)."
I concur with the above. I have asked a few of the Laois guys about what they believe happened and while they hate SP for his sideline comments and pitch incursions no-one believes or has heard of this alleged spitting incident. If they had believe me they would let me know because he has really gotten under their skin - much to my amusement.

As regards Laois being the "pox" may I remind you of the time they offered a replay when wrongly given a winning point
in the championship. Compare and contrast with Meath and Cavan who walked away wrongly with provincial titles in
similar circumstances. The former is event that many in the GAA would like to forget when claiming that there is no precedence for displaying honesty and sportsmanship when the heat of battle has subsided.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 146 - 26/06/2019 14:15:06    2201261

Link

I didn't call or say Leix we're the pox. I just don't like them. Loads of good reasons for that. Fair enough they have Carlow a replay in 1995 but to fair it was in the context of the nailed on certainty the GAA were about to order a replay, in Carlow, in spite of no precedent. So they were typically cynical, in my view, by getting in just ahead of that decision. It also benefitted Leix to test themselves again v Carlow as they faced Dubs in Leinster semi and knew if they couldn't put us away they were wasting their time, as it proved.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1171 - 26/06/2019 18:28:50    2201390

Link

I suppose if my county was constantly losing to another county I wouldn't like them either

Hootie (Laois) - Posts: 31 - 27/06/2019 05:13:51    2201552

Link

Replying To Hootie:  "I suppose if my county was constantly losing to another county I wouldn't like them either"
Is that why Laois dont like our hurlers ?

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1003 - 27/06/2019 09:45:29    2201585

Link

Replying To Hootie:  "I suppose if my county was constantly losing to another county I wouldn't like them either"
That explains why Leix fans hate any mention of our hurlers...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 288 - 27/06/2019 10:54:18    2201619

Link

I do believe the last time the sides met it was a draw with Carla scoring in the last seconds to equalise,

Hootie (Laois) - Posts: 31 - 27/06/2019 16:17:57    2201774

Link

Great weather for the hay in all fairness...!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 04/07/2019 10:57:23    2205345

Link

I suppose you don't have much else to look forward to

Hootie (Laois) - Posts: 31 - 04/07/2019 12:23:49    2205395

Link

Replying To Hootie:  "I suppose you don't have much else to look forward to"
If gaa is all anyones life revolves around, well, they need to get around a bit more! I ve plenty to look forward to apart from the gaa thankfully hootie. It's an enjoyable part of my life but down the list of priorities in real terms. It's only sport after all.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 04/07/2019 13:33:08    2205432

Link

Ye whatever

Hootie (Laois) - Posts: 31 - 04/07/2019 16:14:57    2205499

Link

Replying To Hootie:  "Ye whatever"
Ditto

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 04/07/2019 17:57:51    2205553

Link

Replying To Hootie:  "Ye whatever"
Lol.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 04/07/2019 18:33:16    2205565

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "I didn't call or say Leix we're the pox. I just don't like them. Loads of good reasons for that. Fair enough they have Carlow a replay in 1995 but to fair it was in the context of the nailed on certainty the GAA were about to order a replay, in Carlow, in spite of no precedent. So they were typically cynical, in my view, by getting in just ahead of that decision. It also benefitted Leix to test themselves again v Carlow as they faced Dubs in Leinster semi and knew if they couldn't put us away they were wasting their time, as it proved."
That infamous match v Laois with the point that never was - from Leo Turley if memory serves me right... how was it going to be a 'nailed on certainty' that a replay was going to be ordered?
Memory is fading as the years pass!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1508 - 09/07/2019 12:58:31    2208410

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "That infamous match v Laois with the point that never was - from Leo Turley if memory serves me right... how was it going to be a 'nailed on certainty' that a replay was going to be ordered?
Memory is fading as the years pass!"
Mick Turley not Leo kicked the wide ball. An equal injustice followed seconds later when Badger Reid was fouled in front of the Leix goal and from way back in midfield the ref gave the free in but only half whistled because a Johns Ambulance man was hanging out of him trying, even though it wasn't his job, to bring the refs attention to the fact that the umpire that flagged the point was after being decked. Badger never heard any whistle or saw any signal of a free and played on with Leix backs hanging out of him and kicked it narrowly wide. Ref ruled he had taken the free and blew up immediately.

After the Monday Game on RTÉ the Leinster council called an emergency meeting, to rubber stamp the replay, but as Carlow were about to get home advantage Leix saw their opportunity and offered a replay in O'Moore Park.

The replay was a scorcher of a day. Leix were delighted with themselves getting all the adulation for their "sportsmanship"/gamesmanship, including presentation of a special award by AIB on the pitch just before throw in. Carlow found this sickening and it helped rise the team without a doubt. Midway through the second half things were turning sour on the sideline as Leix officials began verbally abusing Carlow subs and officials as we took what looked a match winning 13-8 lead. Mick Lawler got a goal for them as we ran out of steam and they won fair and square 1-16 to 0-16.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1171 - 09/07/2019 15:59:14    2208516

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Mick Turley not Leo kicked the wide ball. An equal injustice followed seconds later when Badger Reid was fouled in front of the Leix goal and from way back in midfield the ref gave the free in but only half whistled because a Johns Ambulance man was hanging out of him trying, even though it wasn't his job, to bring the refs attention to the fact that the umpire that flagged the point was after being decked. Badger never heard any whistle or saw any signal of a free and played on with Leix backs hanging out of him and kicked it narrowly wide. Ref ruled he had taken the free and blew up immediately.

After the Monday Game on RTÉ the Leinster council called an emergency meeting, to rubber stamp the replay, but as Carlow were about to get home advantage Leix saw their opportunity and offered a replay in O'Moore Park.

The replay was a scorcher of a day. Leix were delighted with themselves getting all the adulation for their "sportsmanship"/gamesmanship, including presentation of a special award by AIB on the pitch just before throw in. Carlow found this sickening and it helped rise the team without a doubt. Midway through the second half things were turning sour on the sideline as Leix officials began verbally abusing Carlow subs and officials as we took what looked a match winning 13-8 lead. Mick Lawler got a goal for them as we ran out of steam and they won fair and square 1-16 to 0-16."
It might be time to move on I think lad!!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2601 - 10/07/2019 10:09:57    2208883

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Mick Turley not Leo kicked the wide ball. An equal injustice followed seconds later when Badger Reid was fouled in front of the Leix goal and from way back in midfield the ref gave the free in but only half whistled because a Johns Ambulance man was hanging out of him trying, even though it wasn't his job, to bring the refs attention to the fact that the umpire that flagged the point was after being decked. Badger never heard any whistle or saw any signal of a free and played on with Leix backs hanging out of him and kicked it narrowly wide. Ref ruled he had taken the free and blew up immediately.

The replay was a scorcher of a day. Leix were delighted with themselves getting all the adulation for their "sportsmanship"/gamesmanship, including presentation of a special award by AIB on the pitch just before throw in. Carlow found this sickening and it helped rise the team without a doubt. Midway through the second half things were turning sour on the sideline as Leix officials began verbally abusing Carlow subs and officials as we took what looked a match winning 13-8 lead. Mick Lawler got a goal for them as we ran out of steam and they won fair and square 1-16 to 0-16."
If we are going to be pedantic, it was Bank of Ireland... not AIB.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 288 - 10/07/2019 12:13:02    2208977

Link

Great news if that's true about Turlough and Poacher staying on.
We lost out this year by small margins so no better men to have again next year.
Even looking at Cork at the moment - Media harping on about their great wins in challenge games just before championship. One win was against Dublin by 5 pts the other was against Carlow by one point!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 248 - 10/07/2019 15:19:30    2209090

Link

Replying To novalis:  "Great news if that's true about Turlough and Poacher staying on.
We lost out this year by small margins so no better men to have again next year.
Even looking at Cork at the moment - Media harping on about their great wins in challenge games just before championship. One win was against Dublin by 5 pts the other was against Carlow by one point!!"
Would be fantastic if Turlough and Poacher stay on.

If they do the squad should stay on and i fancy us to make a quick return to division 3.

Would be awful if this year was their last as it's been a great team for Carlow football and they deserve more success.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1003 - 10/07/2019 17:17:08    2209152

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "It might be time to move on I think lad!!"
Trying ... but it's not even quarter a century yet ....

Great news if true about Turlough and Poacher.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1171 - 11/07/2019 05:21:47    2209317

Link

Glorifying challenge matches now for some comfort,

Hootie (Laois) - Posts: 31 - 11/07/2019 13:11:54    2209476

Link