Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CARPS:  "And what is Liam Kearns going to do that Anthony Rainbow or Paul Bealin or Paddy Morrissey or Luke Dempsey or any of the other outside managers couldn't do over the years?... what does he know about Carlow club football? How is he better than Turlough? Or Joe Murphy? Or Noel Doyle? Or whomever?"
Poacher is a Down man.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 19/06/2019 16:16:24    2197645

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Liam Kearns."
No thank you. No ......

Last thing we need is a manager stuck in the 1980s.

No outsider will ever be a success with Carlow because we're different. I dunno why but we are. Drink, small mindedness and a cavalier attitude to discipline is part of it. Luke Dempsey was a partial success because he knew what we were like. Same for Bobby Millar. Someone like Liam Kearns would quickly become bewildered wondering where half his team had disappeared to. Liam Hayes had that experience. Captain of the team walked away from the panel week before championship but never told anyone. Hayes couldn't understand it, especially from his captain, but the rest of us did.

Joe Murphy and Noel Doyle probably haven't had enough success or experience but I'd still chance them before any outsider.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 19/06/2019 17:10:31    2197674

Link

Murphy has eire og playing like the county team so if co board are looking for a change in style they'll have to look elsewhere

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 19/06/2019 20:46:03    2197738

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "No thank you. No ......

Last thing we need is a manager stuck in the 1980s.

No outsider will ever be a success with Carlow because we're different. I dunno why but we are. Drink, small mindedness and a cavalier attitude to discipline is part of it. Luke Dempsey was a partial success because he knew what we were like. Same for Bobby Millar. Someone like Liam Kearns would quickly become bewildered wondering where half his team had disappeared to. Liam Hayes had that experience. Captain of the team walked away from the panel week before championship but never told anyone. Hayes couldn't understand it, especially from his captain, but the rest of us did.

Joe Murphy and Noel Doyle probably haven't had enough success or experience but I'd still chance them before any outsider."
Spot on.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 268 - 19/06/2019 20:53:55    2197746

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Down 0-15 Carlow 1-11, does not do justice to the final result, Carlow needed that point to stay up in div.3, had they got THAT 0-01 or better still, if Down's last 0-01 been called back the game would have finished in a draw, Carlow would still be in div.3, there would be no unnecessary suspensions, there would be no character assassinations, in fact, Turlough O'Brien and his management team would be Heroes, - - - talk about contraversory."
Supersub... the point is we did not get the last point to draw the match v Down. We did not win the next day either...How many times have Laois beaten us in the last 2 years ? We just did not score enough...and people think it...forgot to mention the referee in that game... and in that one... plenty of What ifs.... dies not cut the mustard I am afraid !

There have been no character assassinations. The 'leader's- management made their own nest, dug their own hole, and were reported by the referee...what were they suspended for again...? I looked it up there recently... can anybody guess?
Liam Kearns Jim MCGuinness, the list is endless regarding who we think our players deserve... to me it makes little difference but I just pray that we get someone who is looking forward and let's the players play!

Since I last posted on this topic I was told by an eyewitness what happened at the end of the Laois match after their manager shook hands with our management. Let's be very very clear... if we still want that person in charge, then we have lost all moral fibre and I for one will not be going again to watch that team.
There are standards and values I believe we must keep as core to what we are. But if our county board and folks on here think he should still be there... I dread to think of how low we have reached. Below the bottom.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1485 - 19/06/2019 21:53:57    2197772

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Supersub... the point is we did not get the last point to draw the match v Down. We did not win the next day either...How many times have Laois beaten us in the last 2 years ? We just did not score enough...and people think it...forgot to mention the referee in that game... and in that one... plenty of What ifs.... dies not cut the mustard I am afraid !

There have been no character assassinations. The 'leader's- management made their own nest, dug their own hole, and were reported by the referee...what were they suspended for again...? I looked it up there recently... can anybody guess?
Liam Kearns Jim MCGuinness, the list is endless regarding who we think our players deserve... to me it makes little difference but I just pray that we get someone who is looking forward and let's the players play!

Since I last posted on this topic I was told by an eyewitness what happened at the end of the Laois match after their manager shook hands with our management. Let's be very very clear... if we still want that person in charge, then we have lost all moral fibre and I for one will not be going again to watch that team.
There are standards and values I believe we must keep as core to what we are. But if our county board and folks on here think he should still be there... I dread to think of how low we have reached. Below the bottom."
You have me intrigued now carlowman. What exactly were they suspended for .And pls what happened at end of laois game.?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 19/06/2019 23:40:56    2197799

Link

Replying To hogg:  "You have me intrigued now carlowman. What exactly were they suspended for .And pls what happened at end of laois game.?"
My understanding is that one of the managemenr team was suspended for - threatening behaviour -.

At the end of the Laois match- my contact says that again, a.member of the management team spat at the Laois manager after the Laois manager shook hands with him.

If true,.and I have no reason to doubt this eyewitness then we have reached the very bottom of the barrel.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1485 - 20/06/2019 12:44:22    2197928

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "My understanding is that one of the managemenr team was suspended for - threatening behaviour -.

At the end of the Laois match- my contact says that again, a.member of the management team spat at the Laois manager after the Laois manager shook hands with him.

If true,.and I have no reason to doubt this eyewitness then we have reached the very bottom of the barrel."
That is truly disgusting and I would never support anyone who engages in such appalling behaviour.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 21/06/2019 00:29:01    2198184

Link

Just reading over several pages on here and notice a lot of support for Management and Poacher ans what they have done for Carlow.

There were several negative posts also........but those Several posts came from the same 2 posters Carlowman and Hogg. One seems to feed the other. I may even suggest they are the same person with a dislike for one of our management!

There were tiny margins why we didn't stay in Div 3.

I would like to thank all involved for giving us the best times over the past 2 years, having experienced continuos failure for the past 30 years.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 233 - 21/06/2019 10:09:17    2198226

Link

Replying To fullbach:  "Just reading over several pages on here and notice a lot of support for Management and Poacher ans what they have done for Carlow.

There were several negative posts also........but those Several posts came from the same 2 posters Carlowman and Hogg. One seems to feed the other. I may even suggest they are the same person with a dislike for one of our management!

I would like to thank all involved for giving us the best times over the past 2 years, having experienced continuos failure for the past 30 years."
I don't know hogg. A but of a cheap shot to be honest to infer that I and hogg are one and the same !

I have nothing personal against any team member or back room person or management.
Whether I know or don't know anybody involved is irrelevant. I judge what I see myself and am told by people I trust. That is how I operate.

I believe in standards, standards both off and on the field. For me it is most important that for the future of the game in Carlow that we can stand behind them. I cannot stand behind people who are reported and found guilty of ' threatening behaviour' to a referee. Can you?

Can you or anybody else stand behind someone in management who spits at someone after a match ?
Imagine it happening after a club game on any pitch in the county...there would be a riot ! What sort of suspension would our Board impose where a referee had to deal with 'threatening behaviour or a manager was spat at by his opposite number?

I have been at a lot of county football games down the years and have witnessed different management teams with players. They have tried their best with little success.

I salute ALL management teams and players who have given their all for the county. However there are standards of behaviour that I believe we should expect and demand.

Last year was a great year for our football team. We had great days out. We were not as good this year, our style has been easily picked by many teams.
Players have become slaves to a system that is now defunct. It has not developed. But I can understand the reluctance of some to change when the system has delivered results, but not this year.
Yeah we were unlucky, yea referee decisions against Offaly in particular cost us, we can come up with a myriad of reasons why we were not as successful. But standards of behaviour ... that is my issue.
GAA is in a battle for the hearts and minds of the youth. They and their families expect standards. The GAA expects standards too. We should expect them. Players expect them. Is it not too much to expect them from our management?

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1485 - 21/06/2019 13:31:29    2198289

Link

Replying To fullbach:  "Just reading over several pages on here and notice a lot of support for Management and Poacher ans what they have done for Carlow.

I would like to thank all involved for giving us the best times over the past 2 years, having experienced continuos failure for the past 30 years."
Well said.

Poacher gave us days we couldn't have dreamed of.

Hope himself and Turlough stay for 10 years.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 971 - 21/06/2019 13:35:11    2198292

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "My understanding is that one of the managemenr team was suspended for - threatening behaviour -.

If true,.and I have no reason to doubt this eyewitness then we have reached the very bottom of the barrel."
Given it was Leix, I'm not sure everyone in Carlow would see it as a bad thing...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 268 - 21/06/2019 19:35:40    2198402

Link

carlowman, you seem adamant or at least determent to talk down the current Carlow football management team, if as you say an incident took place after the Laois game and a suspension was handed down to one of the management team then how come it never made the sporting headlines, not even in the C N, I am not doubting your own honesty, however until I see it in an official statement release I will put it down to, rumour, speculation or innuendo, but no, that rumour is not for me.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1933 - 21/06/2019 21:51:56    2198433

Link

Fullbach I could suggest that you were a shill for management but I wouldn't be so foolish. You really have it bad when you think that there couldn't possibly be 2 people who actually don't concur with your view. Are you really that blind to what you have seen this season. No point even discussing with someone whose indoctrination is so complete. Just a reminder tho for you. We're back in division 4 and we're also back suffering humiliating defeats to teams like longford short 6 of their regulars and also able to kick 16 wides .

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 22/06/2019 01:06:04    2198469

Link

A very interesting observation Fullbach

I agree that now is the time to show all the support we can for current management team. They have given Carlow a winning edge this past couple of years. It's true the wheels fell off this year but I think there was a chunk of bad luck thrown at us in 2019 that you would have to think was exceptional.

Looking forward to the current management team staying on and building again.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 22/06/2019 09:58:51    2198510

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "A very interesting observation Fullbach

I agree that now is the time to show all the support we can for current management team. They have given Carlow a winning edge this past couple of years. It's true the wheels fell off this year but I think there was a chunk of bad luck thrown at us in 2019 that you would have to think was exceptional.

Looking forward to the current management team staying on and building again."
And even with that bad luck. It was probably their second most successful year in the national league. As in more than held their own in a very competitive division. And if you look at it if they were in division. 4 last year and played the exact same way they'd have probably got promoted with Derry. So context is important when looking at the league

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 22/06/2019 11:13:18    2198523

Link

Biggest loss in the league this year was probably 4/5 points ?? It's not long ago London beat Carlow in the league by a similar amount.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 22/06/2019 11:20:18    2198526

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "A very interesting observation Fullbach

Looking forward to the current management team staying on and building again."
I really hope they do stay on or at least hand the legacy on to similar minded individuals.
I saw my first Carlow senior game on Athy in 1963.
The last two years have being by a long way the best. The win in Tullamore was magical . I will never ever forget the feeling when Conor Lawlor hit the final nail in the kildare coffin .
I was there in Tullamore when we won the B champion ship many years ago but it does not compare.
My own feeling is Steven Poacher will go and yes he can be a controversial figure but he is the catalyst. Turlough is the enabler.
My hope would be that Turlough stays and brings in a coach capable of carrying on where Poacher left off.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 403 - 22/06/2019 12:09:21    2198536

Link

Well said Blackbog

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 22/06/2019 16:16:44    2198594

Link

Name 6 backs in the county that could go man to man with the best forwards out there, likewise name 6 forwards who can take on their man and score, we are limited, if you want an example of how playing a more attacking game with limited resources goes, take today's under 20s annialation, yes it would be nice to play attractive football but it's nicer to be competitive

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 22/06/2019 20:08:16    2198664

Link