Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

No time right now for these lads to be making rash decisions, hope they give it time to think it over. I do think our management should stay on though as a new team coming in will have the "it's our first year" in the job etc if we don't get promoted while I think Turlough can do it again. I would like us to try mix it up a bit though as regards our style & also few players on the team just can not start next year, esp one of our forwards.
Regards Poacher, he has been huge for us no doubt but some games I have been a little embarrassed with some of his carry on, abusing match officials & other team mentors etc.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1038 - 12/06/2019 09:25:42    2193814

Link

It's a fair point on lads not performing and still getting picked, fair enough they are doing well in training but how come that doesn't transfer to games, because it clearly isn't and there is more than one player this is applicable too, yeah Jim Gavin picks a team based on what they do on the training field, but he drops lads based on what they do on the field of play we don't seem to do that. Again though none of us are privy to the management's thoughts, it's either favouritism or we have no bench at all, I would tend to go more so with the latter but I don't know

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 12/06/2019 13:24:36    2193913

Link

How can you say we have no bench when the lads on it are never given a shot.over the last 2 years how many new faces have we seen.j.Morrissey the only one I can think of.simon Doyle who is a fine player got no chance. I know he's not available this year. Conor Crowley another who imo didn't get a fair crack at it.couple of introductions and one or two starts.yet we have 1 forward in particular and 2 imo who have continued to disappoint yet remain untouchable .We also have moving players out of their best positions( Ciaran Moran being a case in point ,a great player btw) to accommodate the above mentioned players. If that's not favouritism then tell me what is.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 13/06/2019 00:26:57    2194224

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "It's a fair point on lads not performing and still getting picked, fair enough they are doing well in training but how come that doesn't transfer to games, because it clearly isn't and there is more than one player this is applicable too, yeah Jim Gavin picks a team based on what they do on the training field, but he drops lads based on what they do on the field of play we don't seem to do that. Again though none of us are privy to the management's thoughts, it's either favouritism or we have no bench at all, I would tend to go more so with the latter but I don't know"
That's true. But why is there no more options on the bench. Why is there no interest to play for your county team ? All the negativity about Stephen poacher but I have yet to hear one of the players say a bad word about him.

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 13/06/2019 08:05:07    2194240

Link

I believe that it is time for the current management to do the honourable thing and step down.

Nobody wants to broach the subject, but how can the players have respect for management when they have received such long suspensions.

I cannot think of any other manager/trainer who got such a long suspension and then continues on... from any county.

They have done their best and were successful in getting us out of Div 4 but we are back in it again! No sense of the style being replaced... all teams are able to whittle down our influential players and beat us. If it was a point or more, they still beat us.

Time for a change.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 14/06/2019 19:06:39    2194996

Link

Have any of those calling for the management team to step down got any suggestions for who might take over? Because for the thirty-odd years before Turlough came along, I think only one boss lasted more than two seasons, Bobby Miller, and that ended in disaster too, as it happens.

There's also the point that, often expensive, outside managers haven't brought any success to Carlow, in football. And that the two most successful setups, of the past 35-40 years were helmed by locals, Vincent Harvey in the 80's and Turlough in recent years. Not to mention Cyril Hughes (missed out on promotion to Division One, on points difference in 1999, was the victim of the red/yellow card spree in the Leinster).

I don't see any Carlow-men who leap off the page as potential successors. And I also think it's quite obvious that external selections don't work for us, for various reasons. Even Miller, who did the best of those, had managed at club level in Carlow for a few years first, and knew the local scene. And, perhaps more importantly, the politics.

Do we want to go down the road of three or four managers in six or seven years again?

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 15/06/2019 13:24:52    2195232

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Poor enough display today but not surprising when you consider the two Murphys, Broderick, Chris Crowley, Lee Walker not available for a number of reasons. That is basically a third of the likely starting team, It is delusional to think we really have the depth to absorb that. Throw in the management issue - you have to say a lot would have to gone right fo this to have go the other way. No fault to the men who lined out.

Also the panel seemd to be missing some other players who have featured over the past year or so - three Old Leighlin men named on the bench...Curious where were they during the league? Not faulting any man for committing to a county panel but this is not like years ago where lads can be brought in and expected to perform at an elite level. Agree that Longford may have been there for the taking, changes were made too late, as if nothing else some of the Carlow lads were dead on their feet in the final quarter.

Some bad luck this year esp in the league, some tight reffing decisions, even on the last day Offaly slipped through on a injury time win against Sligo, but thems the breaks. This year we also had more injuries than last throughout the season and to me as ill informed supporter an ultra cautious selection policy.

Looking to next year, this isn't the time for top of the head comment or decisions by supporters,or management. Clearly a foundation of sorts has been put in place but as we know in Carlow it dos t take much to erode this. An honest review of where things went both right and wrong this year needs to be taken. The potential is there to win promotion but the usual turning on ourselves is far from helpful especially as the football community is so small and things can get or seem personal."
Just reading posts. Was delighted for carlow over the last few yrs. Always interested to see a "weaker county" progressing. I honestly thought that firstly they would stay in div 3 and then make progress in qualifers. Disappointed on both fronts.

As a longford supporter i can feel the frustration here. But bainisteoir was right. Longford were there for the taking. They had played 2 weeks previously. They had a six day turnaround and they were missing 6 players. Now these players are not panel, they are 6 of the best that longford have. The fact that they also kicked 16 wides is also extremely worrying if ur a carlow supporter.

From our experiences, if the players have lost respect or faith in the current management, then they're on a loser. Even though turlough and his staff have done tojan work by all accounts, that will not paper over cracks, if they're there.

Get the missing players back, run through div 4, get confidence and feel good factor back next yr and theres still life in this team.

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 133 - 15/06/2019 20:54:26    2195425

Link

Replying To Longfordbaz:  "Just reading posts. Was delighted for carlow over the last few yrs. Always interested to see a "weaker county" progressing. I honestly thought that firstly they would stay in div 3 and then make progress in qualifers. Disappointed on both fronts.

As a longford supporter i can feel the frustration here. But bainisteoir was right. Longford were there for the taking. They had played 2 weeks previously. They had a six day turnaround and they were missing 6 players. Now these players are not panel, they are 6 of the best that longford have. The fact that they also kicked 16 wides is also extremely worrying if ur a carlow supporter.

From our experiences, if the players have lost respect or faith in the current management, then they're on a loser. Even though turlough and his staff have done tojan work by all accounts, that will not paper over cracks, if they're there.

Get the missing players back, run through div 4, get confidence and feel good factor back next yr and theres still life in this team."
Well said Baz.lots of rose coloured spectacles around here.that was a pathetic showing last Sunday but people around here refuse to accept it.Longford were exhausted from 160-70 minutes of football in the previous 13 days and were short of a load of first 15 players yet they brushed Carlow aside with ease even kicking 16 wides in process. There are none so blind......

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 16/06/2019 07:53:11    2195611

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Well said Baz.lots of rose coloured spectacles around here.that was a pathetic showing last Sunday but people around here refuse to accept it.Longford were exhausted from 160-70 minutes of football in the previous 13 days and were short of a load of first 15 players yet they brushed Carlow aside with ease even kicking 16 wides in process. There are none so blind......"
I would have thought Carlow were the ones there for the taking last week. But its a game of opinions!

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 16/06/2019 10:03:38    2195627

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Have any of those calling for the management team to step down got any suggestions for who might take over? Because for the thirty-odd years before Turlough came along, I think only one boss lasted more than two seasons, Bobby Miller, and that ended in disaster too, as it happens.

There's also the point that, often expensive, outside managers haven't brought any success to Carlow, in football. And that the two most successful setups, of the past 35-40 years were helmed by locals, Vincent Harvey in the 80's and Turlough in recent years. Not to mention Cyril Hughes (missed out on promotion to Division One, on points difference in 1999, was the victim of the red/yellow card spree in the Leinster).

I don't see any Carlow-men who leap off the page as potential successors. And I also think it's quite obvious that external selections don't work for us, for various reasons. Even Miller, who did the best of those, had managed at club level in Carlow for a few years first, and knew the local scene. And, perhaps more importantly, the politics.

Do we want to go down the road of three or four managers in six or seven years again?"
Without good leadership a team will be rudderless. One of the current management team has been on media spouting essentially about himself as centre and how others have contributed to his suspension. Absolutely pathetic stuff. Its not about him !!!! The team is what is important.
Let's get real now. Our senior footballers are an intelligent committed and above all else want to wear the county shirt with pride. They have ambition.They have been let down by the very people who should have been their leaders. Dress it up as passion or whatever you like but that is the real situation. Our players who have given up serious time have been dealt a body blow that needs to be lanced.
It's a sad day if those managing our county do nothing to change those st the top on the basis of ' sure who else can we get to mind our team ' or money.
Nobody will be told how much the current duo cost... nobody will be told that. Do you think thst one of those people is there because of the good of his health ?
The behaviour that was reported by a few at the end of the Laois match if true, should be more than enough to close the current debate. Reports about that incident have not been out there in the printed media as it was so serious.
There are standards that should be upheld by those who represent us and shockingly those standards have not been upheld. Occasionally the behaviour can be a one off response but if reports are true about the aftermath of the Laois game, then people need to be removed .
Those people in positions of authority have duties that go beyond borders and when behaviour is outside of standards they should realise that and do the decent thing and resign. We have standards in Carlow. Players know those boundaries. Players have standards too. How can they have any respect when those boundaries have been broken on more than occasion ? How can they wear with pride the shirt afterwards? How can they stand in the circle shoulder to shoulder with those who have broken their standards and then go on the pitch and give it everything and even more ?
I don't think they can. The bond has been broken, the link is beyond repair.
Time for a new start. The players deserve good leadership. Those who have respect for the team should demand it as a matter of right

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 16/06/2019 10:58:12    2195656

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Without good leadership a team will be rudderless. One of the current management team has been on media spouting essentially about himself as centre and how others have contributed to his suspension. Absolutely pathetic stuff. Its not about him !!!! The team is what is important.
Let's get real now. Our senior footballers are an intelligent committed and above all else want to wear the county shirt with pride. They have ambition.They have been let down by the very people who should have been their leaders. Dress it up as passion or whatever you like but that is the real situation. Our players who have given up serious time have been dealt a body blow that needs to be lanced.
It's a sad day if those managing our county do nothing to change those st the top on the basis of ' sure who else can we get to mind our team ' or money.
Nobody will be told how much the current duo cost... nobody will be told that. Do you think thst one of those people is there because of the good of his health ?
The behaviour that was reported by a few at the end of the Laois match if true, should be more than enough to close the current debate. Reports about that incident have not been out there in the printed media as it was so serious.
There are standards that should be upheld by those who represent us and shockingly those standards have not been upheld. Occasionally the behaviour can be a one off response but if reports are true about the aftermath of the Laois game, then people need to be removed .
Those people in positions of authority have duties that go beyond borders and when behaviour is outside of standards they should realise that and do the decent thing and resign. We have standards in Carlow. Players know those boundaries. Players have standards too. How can they have any respect when those boundaries have been broken on more than occasion ? How can they wear with pride the shirt afterwards? How can they stand in the circle shoulder to shoulder with those who have broken their standards and then go on the pitch and give it everything and even more ?
Time for a new start. The players deserve good leadership. Those who have respect for the team should demand it as a matter of right"
Well said.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 18/06/2019 09:40:42    2196948

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Without good leadership a team will be rudderless. One of the current management team has been on media spouting essentially about himself as centre and how others have contributed to his suspension. Absolutely pathetic stuff. Its not about him !!!! The team is what is important.
Time for a new start. The players deserve good leadership. Those who have respect for the team should demand it as a matter of right"
Down 0-15 Carlow 1-11, does not do justice to the final result, Carlow needed that point to stay up in div.3, had they got THAT 0-01 or better still, if Down's last 0-01 been called back the game would have finished in a draw, Carlow would still be in div.3, there would be no unnecessary suspensions, there would be no character assassinations, in fact, Turlough O'Brien and his management team would be Heroes, - - - talk about contraversory.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 18/06/2019 14:39:07    2197118

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Down 0-15 Carlow 1-11, does not do justice to the final result, Carlow needed that point to stay up in div.3, had they got THAT 0-01 or better still, if Down's last 0-01 been called back the game would have finished in a draw, Carlow would still be in div.3, there would be no unnecessary suspensions, there would be no character assassinations, in fact, Turlough O'Brien and his management team would be Heroes, - - - talk about contraversory."
The finish to that match was a travesty. A whole series of decisions went against Carlow in the final minutes and if any one of them had gone our way we'd have gotten the draw we needed.

Reality is we've a great chance of promotion again next year if Turlough and Poacher stay. If they leave who'll we get? Long serving players will walk away and we'll start another 30 year rebuilding phase.

Funny enough, the bad press that Poacher has received, while I don't agree with it, might well help us to keep him as I don't think another county will risk him now as so much s..t has been thrown about some of it has (unfairly) stuck.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 18/06/2019 22:04:06    2197350

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "The finish to that match was a travesty. A whole series of decisions went against Carlow in the final minutes and if any one of them had gone our way we'd have gotten the draw we needed.

Reality is we've a great chance of promotion again next year if Turlough and Poacher stay. If they leave who'll we get? Long serving players will walk away and we'll start another 30 year rebuilding phase.

Funny enough, the bad press that Poacher has received, while I don't agree with it, might well help us to keep him as I don't think another county will risk him now as so much s..t has been thrown about some of it has (unfairly) stuck."
After listening to Poacher on Balls.ie this morning it sounds like he won't be staying with us. All of his comments about Carlow sounded like goodbyes.
I can see Turlough also standing down
Maybe ex Tipp football Manager might give it a go
From what Poacher said it seems we got the best out if what we had but we don't Have the resources to sustain growth

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 19/06/2019 08:14:01    2197434

Link

reality is we wouldn't have had the days we have had without him. And that's the bottom line. Hope the co board realise that. Rather than throw away comments I read in the nationalist recently. As was mentioned earlier if we want to see a big improvement it would take a big investment. I don't see that happening.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 19/06/2019 10:31:07    2197471

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "After listening to Poacher on Balls.ie this morning it sounds like he won't be staying with us. All of his comments about Carlow sounded like goodbyes.
I can see Turlough also standing down
Maybe ex Tipp football Manager might give it a go
From what Poacher said it seems we got the best out if what we had but we don't Have the resources to sustain growth"
It was off the ball, not balls.ie... yeah seems like Poacher is gone... he said we just don't have the numbers... and he is right, sadly... a few of the people on this board might want to reflect on that too... which ex Tipp manager? Paddy Morrissey again? That worked well, didn't it? As an early poster mentioned... outsiders don't work in Carlow... better Joe Murphy, or even someone like Ber Horohan than the ex Tipp manager, whoever he is

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 273 - 19/06/2019 12:52:28    2197551

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "It was off the ball, not balls.ie... yeah seems like Poacher is gone... he said we just don't have the numbers... and he is right, sadly... a few of the people on this board might want to reflect on that too... which ex Tipp manager? Paddy Morrissey again? That worked well, didn't it? As an early poster mentioned... outsiders don't work in Carlow... better Joe Murphy, or even someone like Ber Horohan than the ex Tipp manager, whoever he is"
Liam Kearns.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 19/06/2019 13:32:40    2197573

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Liam Kearns."
And what is Liam Kearns going to do that Anthony Rainbow or Paul Bealin or Paddy Morrissey or Luke Dempsey or any of the other outside managers couldn't do over the years?... what does he know about Carlow club football? How is he better than Turlough? Or Joe Murphy? Or Noel Doyle? Or whomever?

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 273 - 19/06/2019 14:18:21    2197594

Link

In fairness Poacher is an outside man. And it was clear not much was going on with Turlough until he came in. Yes Turlough managed to stabilize things and fair play to him. But Poacher was the difference

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 19/06/2019 14:45:40    2197609

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "And what is Liam Kearns going to do that Anthony Rainbow or Paul Bealin or Paddy Morrissey or Luke Dempsey or any of the other outside managers couldn't do over the years?... what does he know about Carlow club football? How is he better than Turlough? Or Joe Murphy? Or Noel Doyle? Or whomever?"
I just put Liams name out there.
You need to calm down !
I suppose what Liam has is that he brought a non traditional football county to a all ireland final.
I think a carlow man is best option but a open mind is a good thing

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 19/06/2019 14:47:51    2197611

Link