Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Blackbogger:  "There's nothing right or wrong about it Hogg, I haven't made a prediction.

I'm just trying to balance the overly negative sentiment being displayed on this board."
You said "We have every chance of winning this one." I replied I hope you're right. The nerves are obviously getting to you.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 09/06/2019 11:20:59    2192089

Link

No sign of a team being named yet? Could that be a sign we've a couple of surprises or we're disorganised! Hopefully the former and we'll get a big display out the lads today. They have it in them to get a win but Longford do love the qualifiers more than any of the weaker counties.

Today could be the end of an era if things don't go well but hopefully not and it'll be the start of a new surge. Win today, get a good draw in the morning and with the lads to return this could be a great summer yet.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 09/06/2019 11:56:13    2192106

Link

No Broderick or Crowley In starting team, hard to see where scores will come from

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 09/06/2019 13:51:23    2192149

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "No sign of a team being named yet? Could that be a sign we've a couple of surprises or we're disorganised! Hopefully the former and we'll get a big display out the lads today. They have it in them to get a win but Longford do love the qualifiers more than any of the weaker counties.

Today could be the end of an era if things don't go well but hopefully not and it'll be the start of a new surge. Win today, get a good draw in the morning and with the lads to return this could be a great summer yet."
Robert Sansom (Ballinabranna); Liam Roberts (Kildavin), Shane Redmond (Tinryland), Conor Lawler (Palatine); Benny Kavanagh (Eire Og), Daniel St Ledger (Kildavin), Ciaran Moran (Palatine); Jordan Morrissey (Eire Og), Eoghan Ruth (Eire Og); Diarmuid Walshe (Tinryland), Sean Gannon (Eire Og), Conor Doyle (Rathvilly); Darragh O'Brien (Eire Og), Darragh Foley (Kilbride), John Murphy (Grange).

Well, no surprises anyway! Let's hope it's not disorganisation!... In my opinion, Gannon, Paul Broderick, Sean Murphy and Brendan Murphy are our four best players... we have to do without three of them... I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like a major ask.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 268 - 09/06/2019 13:56:02    2192150

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Robert Sansom (Ballinabranna); Liam Roberts (Kildavin), Shane Redmond (Tinryland), Conor Lawler (Palatine); Benny Kavanagh (Eire Og), Daniel St Ledger (Kildavin), Ciaran Moran (Palatine); Jordan Morrissey (Eire Og), Eoghan Ruth (Eire Og); Diarmuid Walshe (Tinryland), Sean Gannon (Eire Og), Conor Doyle (Rathvilly); Darragh O'Brien (Eire Og), Darragh Foley (Kilbride), John Murphy (Grange).

Well, no surprises anyway! Let's hope it's not disorganisation!... In my opinion, Gannon, Paul Broderick, Sean Murphy and Brendan Murphy are our four best players... we have to do without three of them... I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like a major ask."
I walked out when management brought on a corner back when we were five points down... there's no Plan B... it's so frustrating... the management managed to solve the eternal Carlow problem of players not committing... and fair play... but tactics are a one trick pony, and we've no fall back, and all opponents know it... all they need to do is get ahead of us, and it's over.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 268 - 09/06/2019 16:24:31    2192207

Link

That was a diabolical display. This is worse than the bad old days .at least we tried to play football back then.taking off the corner back after making one mistake when 5 points down and the management looking at 2 forwards in particular who offered nothing for the entire match except to get blocked down every time they got possession. One player jumped with one hand every time is he afraid to put both hands in the air.longford hit 16 wides if they had their eye in we would be looking at a scoring massacre again.disgusted

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 09/06/2019 17:06:58    2192229

Link

Replying To hogg:  "That was a diabolical display. This is worse than the bad old days .at least we tried to play football back then.taking off the corner back after making one mistake when 5 points down and the management looking at 2 forwards in particular who offered nothing for the entire match except to get blocked down every time they got possession. One player jumped with one hand every time is he afraid to put both hands in the air.longford hit 16 wides if they had their eye in we would be looking at a scoring massacre again.disgusted"
The management team cost us today, I don't like criticism of any individual but there's to much loyalty showing, bringing on a a defender when 5 points down is crazy stuff, Gahan should have came in a lot earlier than he did, as bad as we were I believe London were there for the taking today when you look at how many wides they kicked, even missing the 3 lads if we had a more positive approach we may have won that game, it's tile for a new voice and a new approach. They mgmt has done a lot for football over the number of years but it's time for a change.

One other thing of note, Gahan was brought back into the panel for what? To come on when the game was over? I wouldn't blame some of the lads on the panel for not coming back next year, why would the do all that work and then sit looking as the same players been picked that offer nothing. As I said I won't criticize any individual but it's obvious that there to much loyalty.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 09/06/2019 18:29:28    2192280

Link

Just to let you know Crowley is gone from the County altogether sort of official, as well as that theres another player may be going to a near by county not official though.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 09/06/2019 20:00:48    2192347

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "The management team cost us today, I don't like criticism of any individual but there's to much loyalty showing, bringing on a a defender when 5 points down is crazy stuff, Gahan should have came in a lot earlier than he did, as bad as we were I believe London were there for the taking today when you look at how many wides they kicked, even missing the 3 lads if we had a more positive approach we may have won that game, it's tile for a new voice and a new approach. They mgmt has done a lot for football over the number of years but it's time for a change.

One other thing of note, Gahan was brought back into the panel for what? To come on when the game was over? I wouldn't blame some of the lads on the panel for not coming back next year, why would the do all that work and then sit looking as the same players been picked that offer nothing. As I said I won't criticize any individual but it's obvious that there to much loyalty."
Agreed.. same lads same problems. No threat up front ever. Plenty of scorers on the bench and a defender brought on. Lads there since start of the year and a lad brought in few weeks ago gets on ahead of them. They will struggle next year to fill a team. Fair play to the usual lads on the pitch that gave their all.

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 09/06/2019 20:47:07    2192389

Link

Replying To Carlow12345:  "Agreed.. same lads same problems. No threat up front ever. Plenty of scorers on the bench and a defender brought on. Lads there since start of the year and a lad brought in few weeks ago gets on ahead of them. They will struggle next year to fill a team. Fair play to the usual lads on the pitch that gave their all."
Yeah agreed.no fault of keeper the backs apart from ledger tried hard.midfield was anonymous and only Gannon and to a lesser extent Doyle and walshe up front posed any threat. John Murphy as ever gave everything.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 09/06/2019 22:01:17    2192451

Link

Replying To Scallioneater:  "Just to let you know Crowley is gone from the County altogether sort of official, as well as that theres another player may be going to a near by county not official though."
Who is this player and what county do you know?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 09/06/2019 22:02:31    2192453

Link

Would you blame Crowley for leaving when he has to watch on while others are start ahead of him while offering nothing

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 09/06/2019 22:41:06    2192487

Link

Poor enough display today but not surprising when you consider the two Murphys, Broderick, Chris Crowley, Lee Walker not available for a number of reasons. That is basically a third of the likely starting team, It is delusional to think we really have the depth to absorb that. Throw in the management issue - you have to say a lot would have to gone right fo this to have go the other way. No fault to the men who lined out.

Also the panel seemd to be missing some other players who have featured over the past year or so - three Old Leighlin men named on the bench...Curious where were they during the league? Not faulting any man for committing to a county panel but this is not like years ago where lads can be brought in and expected to perform at an elite level. Agree that Longford may have been there for the taking, changes were made too late, as if nothing else some of the Carlow lads were dead on their feet in the final quarter.

Some bad luck this year esp in the league, some tight reffing decisions, even on the last day Offaly slipped through on a injury time win against Sligo, but thems the breaks. This year we also had more injuries than last throughout the season and to me as ill informed supporter an ultra cautious selection policy.

Looking to next year, this isn't the time for top of the head comment or decisions by supporters,or management. Clearly a foundation of sorts has been put in place but as we know in Carlow it dos t take much to erode this. An honest review of where things went both right and wrong this year needs to be taken. The potential is there to win promotion but the usual turning on ourselves is far from helpful especially as the football community is so small and things can get or seem personal.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 451 - 09/06/2019 23:41:10    2192529

Link

That was seriously depressing viewing today, can't take any positives at all from it.
Was worried when I saw the starting team as there was no natural scoring forwards involved, a makeshift midfield too although we hadn't much choice there due to the suspensions. All the same why was Hughie Gahan brought into the panel for championship, if he wasn't even deemed worthy of starting today when we were crying out for a natural midfielder? Then he gets brought on with about 5 mins to go when game is over. Mind boggling

No plan B yet again, 13 men behind the ball in the 2nd half when we were 6 or 7 points down. No change in tactics at any point. First sub was a corner back coming on, it was all hard to believe.

Sadly as well as the management team have done over the last few years, I think today was a natural end for them. It was a disheartened team, who didn't seem up for it, possibly sick of the negative tactics they are made do. Wasn't much fight in them at all today, and was sad to see.
We've had a great couple of years with good championship 2017, the unforgettable promotion and amazing championship wins over Louth and Kildare last year. This year very unlucky in some games in Div 3, but at other times indiscipline both on and off the pitch cost us badly. The fall out from the Down game destroyed everything, and since then it all has fallen apart.

I feel we need a fresh start and if we are to have any hope of getting out of Div 4, need to implement a more attacking style which i don't think the current management are capable of. They have done amazing and given us the best 2 or 3 years I can remember, but i think after today it's time for change.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 10/06/2019 00:14:23    2192536

Link

A bad year all round, the wheels came off in the league and we weren't able to get back going again, we are hard to watch but we put up with it while it was getting us results but this year it didn't work and when you're losing and playing that way it becomes even more frustrating.

I'm not going to have a go at anyone, the only negative I'd have is that we didn't really bring many new players n this season or last , I think a few of our starting 15 are too comfortable in their position on the team, it seems no matter how badly some perform there is always a place for them, anyway it's over now until the O'Byrne cup which is not a bad thing, I'm sure the players are eager to get back to their clubs and if say the management will be glad of a break from what has been a tough year, I'd like them to stay on though, I think our best chance at getting out of divsion 4 next year is with the current management.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 10/06/2019 01:23:13    2192550

Link

I think it's time for the management team to go, they have shown to many times that there is no plan b and are to loyal to certain players. They have done a lot for football in Carlow but that will be forgotten. For the sake of what they have achieved now is the time to go. I thank them for the work they have done and the days out they gave us but it's time for a change. There is a group of good young lads who can play and wit's a-bit more emphasis on an attacking plan we could have a really decent team.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 10/06/2019 10:06:02    2192637

Link

Frustrating yesterday. Everyone could do with a good rest...management players, even supporters.

It's been a tough 2019 with dropping back to Div 4 (so unlucky and some thanks to dodgy ref decisions) followed by the Down disaster and suspensions.
Injuries and indiscipline added to the woe!

Time to take stock now and I think the management should stay put. They are the best we have had in many years.
Poacher's initial influence paid major dividends and sorted our disastrous defensive record pre 2017 but maybe with need a different type of tactician now.
On a positive note we have a very decent U-20 side who have had some great wins and one narrow defeat - played without their Co Seniors (Conor Doyle, Morrissey etc.) who can now join the squad for the Leinster Championship on 22nd June in NCP.

Management to stay
Poacher to go
New coach with attack minded approach.
20 players need to take part in every game ...fresh legs.
5/6 younger players to be brought through now.
As many challenge games as possible leading to O Byrne Cup. 2020

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 10/06/2019 10:45:02    2192683

Link

Replying To Carlow12345:  "Agreed.. same lads same problems. No threat up front ever. Plenty of scorers on the bench and a defender brought on. Lads there since start of the year and a lad brought in few weeks ago gets on ahead of them. They will struggle next year to fill a team. Fair play to the usual lads on the pitch that gave their all."
Obviously the management can never win. You're saying that a lad only brought in recently got game time ahead of others while another poster says that he should have been brought in to the game earlier, otherwise what was the point of bringing him in to the panel. To be fair I do see both sides when it comes to something like that.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1038 - 10/06/2019 10:51:18    2192687

Link

Unfortunately despite all the great efforts over the last 2 years there has always been a cabal at work here.Certain players I'd say 3-4 have never been at the same standard as the rest yet have invariably started every game .At the same time potential starters in the panel have been given a token few minutes at the end of games. This has been a consistent pattern over that period and we saw it with yesterday's starters yet again.At least 2 òf yesterday's team should not have been within an asses roar of starting based on their showing v Meath. Some people at the Meath game were going mad at half time over one particular player yet he started again yesterday. It just looks like a case of rinse and repeat. You can't have cliques within a group and I'm afraid we're suffering from that now.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 10/06/2019 12:20:56    2192788

Link

Was always going to be a tough ask with the players missing. That's probably been the difference all year. There hasn't been a match all year where the full team was available. Yesterday it looked like the energy had been drained from them. First half was ok and could have gone in ahead if chances were taken but all in all it was disappointing. There's another kick in most of that group of players. Possibly just needs a shake up. And a fresh set of eyes. Lads don't turn into bad footballers over night so I hope they all stick at it and add in a few more lads to strengthen it up next year.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 10/06/2019 12:47:56    2192811

Link