Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To fergie:  "Is Hughie Gahan back?!"
He was named on the panel against meath. Would be a good option at midfield with the suspensions.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 29/05/2019 10:22:39    2188748

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Is Hughie Gahan back?!"
He was brought in after the league but didn't get a run last Saturday. He was number 24 or 25 on the programme.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1808 - 29/05/2019 10:24:10    2188749

Link

Replying To hogg:  "All fair points. But what I can't get my head around is the fact that we didn't appear to be fit.Now what the excuse for that is I can't fathom."
Apparently very little lads at training and heading to the pub after a defeat like that is a joke!! Plenty of talent in carlow to step in but lads will have no interest if they are training just as hard as everyone else and not getting a chance. Some very tired looking lads on that team..and sone excellent ones too. Game was lost before the red card which was well deserved.. shocking carrying but not a word said about it.

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 29/05/2019 18:10:08    2188931

Link

I see Colm Hulton togged out for the juniors last night.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 30/05/2019 22:03:39    2189247

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "I see Colm Hulton togged out for the juniors last night."
Noticed that. Will he be brought into the panel for next week?

carlovia (None) - Posts: 972 - 01/06/2019 21:11:44    2189681

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Noticed that. Will he be brought into the panel for next week?"
He should be, we need a proper scoring forward and he is one. If hopefully Broderick is ok too, himself & Hulton would be an actual threat. Crowley too, i'd start just for once go all out and try attack a team with decent forwards.
Sansom
Molloy if available, if not Benny Kavanagh
Redmond
Lawlor
Lunney
Ledger
Moran
Ruth
Gahan
Morrissey
Foley
Gannon
Broderick
Hulton
Crowley

Just try and have a go for once. Obviously missing Brendan & Sean Murphy and this is in the hope that Lawlor & Broderick are ok to start

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 02/06/2019 07:22:05    2189710

Link

On what basis would you bring in colm Hulton into the squad/team?

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 02/06/2019 17:04:00    2189834

Link

If he was that good I just can't imagine why he was dropped from the panel originally ? You'd want to be shooting the lights out at junior level to warrant a call up a week before a game

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 02/06/2019 19:20:17    2189905

Link

I think the fallout from the Down match took its toll on the Carlow team going into play Meath in the lsf championship along with that they had to start without Brendan Murphy, losing Sean Murphy, Paul Broderick, Daniel St Ledger, Sean Gannon and Eoin Ruth was catastrophic to say the least, no county could have sustained that, Meath's 0-09 winning margin flattered them, if we are honest about it.

There is a bigger ask on Carlow going into the Longford game on Sunday, Carlow are still weakened mentally, they will start the game without Brendan Murphy and Sean Murphy, (at least) they will come up against a Longford side that has been tried and tested against a super 8 Kildare side, Longford are tenacious and battle hardened, and carry no baggage.
There is a serious similarity between the Carlow / Kildare game in the lsf championship of 2018, and the Longford / Kildare game in the current lsf championship, after both games Kildare kick started themselves into the next level of peakness, Longford may have tired and slowed a bit, but Kildare found themselves and took off. Longford had a chance in the drawn game but sadly for them it didn't happen. I'm not going to call this one, I'll simply say, let the best team win.

Now, I would like to wish the Carlow interim management and full panel of players all the very best on Sunday.
I would like to wish Turlough O'Brien, Stephen Poucher and our own Brendan Murphy good health and all the best from here on in. Irrespective of what decision the three of you make at the end of your suspensions, personally I will respect that.

As gach rud atá go maith i spórt Cheatharlach.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 04/06/2019 11:54:10    2190460

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "I think the fallout from the Down match took its toll on the Carlow team going into play Meath in the lsf championship along with that they had to start without Brendan Murphy, losing Sean Murphy, Paul Broderick, Daniel St Ledger, Sean Gannon and Eoin Ruth was catastrophic to say the least, no county could have sustained that, Meath's 0-09 winning margin flattered them, if we are honest about it.

There is a bigger ask on Carlow going into the Longford game on Sunday, Carlow are still weakened mentally, they will start the game without Brendan Murphy and Sean Murphy, (at least) they will come up against a Longford side that has been tried and tested against a super 8 Kildare side, Longford are tenacious and battle hardened, and carry no baggage.
There is a serious similarity between the Carlow / Kildare game in the lsf championship of 2018, and the Longford / Kildare game in the current lsf championship, after both games Kildare kick started themselves into the next level of peakness, Longford may have tired and slowed a bit, but Kildare found themselves and took off. Longford had a chance in the drawn game but sadly for them it didn't happen. I'm not going to call this one, I'll simply say, let the best team win.

Now, I would like to wish the Carlow interim management and full panel of players all the very best on Sunday.
I would like to wish Turlough O'Brien, Stephen Poucher and our own Brendan Murphy good health and all the best from here on in. Irrespective of what decision the three of you make at the end of your suspensions, personally I will respect that.

As gach rud atá go maith i spórt Cheatharlach."
Just a note supersub,The winning margin was 15 points.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 04/06/2019 15:02:29    2190530

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Just a note supersub,The winning margin was 15 points."
Thinking about Sunday I fear for the worst. I hope that I am wrong but I find it hard to be hopeful. Losing our two starting midfielders is a huge challenge for whatever 2 take on the 8 and 9 shirts. Who ever takes it on... will they have the pace of the other two or the ball winning ability especially from opposition kick outs?
What are we going to do with our own kick outs... we have been using the long ball down the middle for Brendan to catch and it worked for a few matches but that option is not there... we have not been great either at the short kick outs... so I am worried and wonder can we get enough ball? Depending on 'stripping' the opposition I don't think will be realistic as Longford have developed even since we played them in the league when we were not at our best.

How many of those injured the last day will be available and if they are are they fully fit?
Perhaps it is time to put out a bold team that gives us a chance of moving forward a bit more and having a few attacks that at least give us a chance of developing a new tactic or a plan B.

I do not hold out much hope however of there being new tactics. That disappoints me as without a change we will not in my opinion be in a position to seriously have an assault of getting out of Div 4 next season.

I hope I am wrong and I am calling it as I see it. That may offensive to some but it is meant to be realistic and not to be offensive,

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 05/06/2019 21:42:10    2191015

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Thinking about Sunday I fear for the worst. I hope that I am wrong but I find it hard to be hopeful. Losing our two starting midfielders is a huge challenge for whatever 2 take on the 8 and 9 shirts. Who ever takes it on... will they have the pace of the other two or the ball winning ability especially from opposition kick outs?
What are we going to do with our own kick outs... we have been using the long ball down the middle for Brendan to catch and it worked for a few matches but that option is not there... we have not been great either at the short kick outs... so I am worried and wonder can we get enough ball? Depending on 'stripping' the opposition I don't think will be realistic as Longford have developed even since we played them in the league when we were not at our best.

How many of those injured the last day will be available and if they are are they fully fit?
Perhaps it is time to put out a bold team that gives us a chance of moving forward a bit more and having a few attacks that at least give us a chance of developing a new tactic or a plan B.

I do not hold out much hope however of there being new tactics. That disappoints me as without a change we will not in my opinion be in a position to seriously have an assault of getting out of Div 4 next season.

I hope I am wrong and I am calling it as I see it. That may offensive to some but it is meant to be realistic and not to be offensive,"
I am usually very positive
My best hope is s squeeze out a win .
Get a chance to muster the troops for 2nd round, with Brendan and Sean back.
But I travel more in hope than confidence

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 05/06/2019 22:05:15    2191029

Link

Best of luck to all on Sunday.
It's been a rough patch for the last 6 months....very narrow margins during the league, suspensions etc.
Sunday is our defining game for 2019. No Brendan or Sean Murphy........but we do have everyone else!!!
Hopefully we see them show their metal to overcome Longford.
A win here would be a huge lift and would mean we would have a full panel for the next game.
Let's do it.

Ceatharlach Abú

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 07/06/2019 09:17:06    2191358

Link

I Can't see any real change in tactics myself, it would be nice to see a more direct approach at times when you consider the injuries and suspensions. As said I will travel in hope as much as anything else, I will hope that if the journey for the players and the management team over the last number of is to end on Sunday that they will go down fighting.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 07/06/2019 09:30:53    2191365

Link

Hopefully the journey can be extended on Sunday. No reason why we can't take Longford. We are only missing Sean Murphy from last year's side because Brendan didn't play championship then.

Enough negative talk

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 234 - 07/06/2019 12:11:08    2191409

Link

I hope I'm wrong but have a feeling we could be in for another hammering

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 07/06/2019 20:14:27    2191541

Link

We have every chance of winning this one.

Longford are on the back of 2 hard games, they went to extra time in one and got hammered in the second one. As well as that there wasn't much between us in the league encounter and we have home advantage.

Could we all just lighten up a little?

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 08/06/2019 08:12:07    2191612

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I hope I'm wrong but have a feeling we could be in for another hammering"
I don't think so
I think we might scrape it

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 08/06/2019 09:15:14    2191620

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "We have every chance of winning this one.

Longford are on the back of 2 hard games, they went to extra time in one and got hammered in the second one. As well as that there wasn't much between us in the league encounter and we have home advantage.

Could we all just lighten up a little?"
I hope you're right and they will be tired but they have a good record in the qualifiers AND they have the mullinaughta boys back that they didn't have in league. I hope we go for broke here and start the likes of hughie gahan and Conor Crowley.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 08/06/2019 10:06:23    2191630

Link

Replying To hogg:  "I hope you're right and they will be tired but they have a good record in the qualifiers AND they have the mullinaughta boys back that they didn't have in league. I hope we go for broke here and start the likes of hughie gahan and Conor Crowley."
There's nothing right or wrong about it Hogg, I haven't made a prediction.

I'm just trying to balance the overly negative sentiment being displayed on this board.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 09/06/2019 09:02:21    2192021

Link