Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To old yellar:  "
Replying To Onion Breath:  "Have to disagree with that. To re-phrase your last couple of sentences ... Would I swop the magical experience of beating Kildare last year for winning a B championship in front of about 200 people with no exposure? Not a chance.

Given our size and resources we'll have more bad days than good with the current structures but when they come the good ones are worth way more than any junior alternative.

Also if we are to have a proper tiered championship then there is surely just one team in the A version. You mentioned four contenders but apart from Dublin I don't know who they are? So the A championship if properly graded will not be played at all and Dublin will simply turn up in their suits to be presented with Sam in some nice hotel in September each year. The B championship would then include Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo etc. That would be worth seeing I accept but chance telling those counties you're not good enough to compete for Sam. But that's the same thing we're being told, except they'll put us in a C championship. Same media interest as the Lory Meaghar cup and similar levels of interest from players. No thanks."
Why would only 200 people from carlow/other finalist only turn up to a tiered final but more would instead go see us play kildare etc in a first round?? What can you base that on? Wasn't the case in any hurling final we 've been in - Christy ring or Joe mcdonagh. Good crowds from the finalists relative to their bases. Are football supporters different??! Surely you support your county no matter what they are in or whatever level they are at? I can't see that as an argument if you are a real supporter (I know you are) of your county. The reality is I d love to see my own club fenagh play eire og in senior but until we win the junior (this has to be our year??!!), then intermediate, we won't get that chance. It hasn't destroyed us as a club being junior! Probably sharpened our focus and we got more lads playing as we weren't shipping beatings and are competitive. The media exposure bit doesn't really do it for me. Hurlers weren't effected by this in their journey through the tiered system. They wanted to be the best they could be and new that they had to win to get to the Liam McCarthy level. I think it's supporters that are concerned more about the media than the players - well in the main anyhow! If you are at a game, do you really mind what you see/hear about it after? It's nice to get exposure and see our players talents and efforts showcased on national media e.g. like mouse's scores v Galway etc but it surely can't be a reason to stop a serious look at a properly tiered championship. And If we were put in the c etc, well go win it! Then you are up where you believe you should be. I think we ve to change our mindset about what a tiered championship is. The tommy Murphy cup shouldn't be what we base our views on."
I'll go for sure and maybe more than 200 will but re your point about Fenagh I could be wrong but doubt the planning, level of training and overall preparation for the junior championship will be anything like it would be for senior. Also do you think it's significant that your own man ChooChoo chose football over hurling despite the hurlers having recent success.

Another issue for me is that the gap in football between top teams and weaker teams is nowhere near the same as in hurling so they're not as readily comparable. A Division 4 (or 3b as it may be) team in hurling could never in their wildest dreams beat a Division 1 team. As we showed last year it can be done in football.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 26/05/2019 22:07:05    2187862

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "After last nights performance it's hard to find an argument against a b championship, although we are better than we showed along with Brendan not playing and Broderick going off injured. But my biggest concern is the lack of new players being brought threw, the spine of this team is 30. Poacher has made us competitive and hard to beat ( not counting last night). Personally I think he won't be involved next year. Hopefully we can get a good draw on Monday, after journey of the last few years it would be a shame to end it on 2 bad results regardless of people's opinions of style of play we've had some of the best days following Carlow in many years, which I fear May be coming to an end."
There are plenty of young lads on bench or are part of the squad. They aren't given a chance. It will b back to the last few years now of nobody interested in playing county. It was painful to watch. Yound crowley running round up front calling for balls which we know he can score but for lads to turn back around and pass it back. Two young Clarke's on bench never given a chance

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 26/05/2019 22:32:32    2187874

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "
Replying To old yellar:  "[quote=Onion Breath:  "Have to disagree with that. To re-phrase your last couple of sentences ... Would I swop the magical experience of beating Kildare last year for winning a B championship in front of about 200 people with no exposure? Not a chance.

Given our size and resources we'll have more bad days than good with the current structures but when they come the good ones are worth way more than any junior alternative.

Also if we are to have a proper tiered championship then there is surely just one team in the A version. You mentioned four contenders but apart from Dublin I don't know who they are? So the A championship if properly graded will not be played at all and Dublin will simply turn up in their suits to be presented with Sam in some nice hotel in September each year. The B championship would then include Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo etc. That would be worth seeing I accept but chance telling those counties you're not good enough to compete for Sam. But that's the same thing we're being told, except they'll put us in a C championship. Same media interest as the Lory Meaghar cup and similar levels of interest from players. No thanks."
Why would only 200 people from carlow/other finalist only turn up to a tiered final but more would instead go see us play kildare etc in a first round?? What can you base that on? Wasn't the case in any hurling final we 've been in - Christy ring or Joe mcdonagh. Good crowds from the finalists relative to their bases. Are football supporters different??! Surely you support your county no matter what they are in or whatever level they are at? I can't see that as an argument if you are a real supporter (I know you are) of your county. The reality is I d love to see my own club fenagh play eire og in senior but until we win the junior (this has to be our year??!!), then intermediate, we won't get that chance. It hasn't destroyed us as a club being junior! Probably sharpened our focus and we got more lads playing as we weren't shipping beatings and are competitive. The media exposure bit doesn't really do it for me. Hurlers weren't effected by this in their journey through the tiered system. They wanted to be the best they could be and new that they had to win to get to the Liam McCarthy level. I think it's supporters that are concerned more about the media than the players - well in the main anyhow! If you are at a game, do you really mind what you see/hear about it after? It's nice to get exposure and see our players talents and efforts showcased on national media e.g. like mouse's scores v Galway etc but it surely can't be a reason to stop a serious look at a properly tiered championship. And If we were put in the c etc, well go win it! Then you are up where you believe you should be. I think we ve to change our mindset about what a tiered championship is. The tommy Murphy cup shouldn't be what we base our views on."
I'll go for sure and maybe more than 200 will but re your point about Fenagh I could be wrong but doubt the planning, level of training and overall preparation for the junior championship will be anything like it would be for senior. Also do you think it's significant that your own man ChooChoo chose football over hurling despite the hurlers having recent success.

Another issue for me is that the gap in football between top teams and weaker teams is nowhere near the same as in hurling so they're not as readily comparable. A Division 4 (or 3b as it may be) team in hurling could never in their wildest dreams beat a Division 1 team. As we showed last year it can be done in football."]Fenagh point was in relation to how I wish we could be back playing senior football, but until we win the requisite levels to get there, we can't. It was to illustrate that at club level we have tiers and they work. The reality at intercounty level is that other teams do prepare better than us due largely to money. More money, more sessions, able to better look after lads etc.
On Sean, I m delighted he decided to give his lot with the footballers. As a young man he was more noted as a footballer . He certainly has been in when things turned for the footballers and I would say he has played a major part in that. I would give credit to the management for the positive influence they have had on him too. He's a good hurler but possibly might not fit into the style of hurling we currently employ. Conor lawlor would be another lad who was in with the hurlers in recent years.
As for the divide comparison between div 1/4 in both codes isn't as simple as that. We 've seen shocks in hurling like our draw v Galway this year, westmeath beating kk in u21, etc. But we both could give examples but there is a real divide when you look at it despite the odd shock from year to year. The games themselves are v different too as I think it's easier for a football team to keep a game tight with blanket defences etc. This type of tactic doesn't work in hurling. I can't see why it wouldn't be tried. It is working in hurling and I can't see how it wouldn't work in the football. We hear a lot of people involved say it's not about moral victories, yet realistically we know the outcome of most matches and can narrow down the potential finalists to 4 v easily v early in the year! I dunno, maybe I m missing something! Just my thoughts anyhow on it and it's nice to have a good debate on it.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 26/05/2019 22:50:42    2187886

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Childish comment"
Jeez lighten up man.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 27/05/2019 00:44:40    2187924

Link

Home to winners of Kildare or Longford.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 27/05/2019 08:45:05    2187951

Link

Id say the hurlers are glad choochoo went with the footballers too....his sending off was nasty.

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 250 - 27/05/2019 12:31:14    2188083

Link

Poacher is not the most popular coach judging by posts on main forum. To say the least.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 27/05/2019 13:40:53    2188119

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Poacher is not the most popular coach judging by posts on main forum. To say the least."
It's not a popularity competition, lot's of coaches are not popular, lot's of referees are not popular including James Birmingham...

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 27/05/2019 15:00:21    2188158

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Poacher is not the most popular coach judging by posts on main forum. To say the least."
I couldn't care less.

He's brought success with him, so what if our neighbors are jealous.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 972 - 27/05/2019 18:52:34    2188259

Link

Very popular with the carlow lads and that's all that matters

Carlow12345 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 27/05/2019 19:42:06    2188284

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "I couldn't care less.

He's brought success with him, so what if our neighbors are jealous."
Ha don't think any of our neighbours are too jealous of us atm.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 27/05/2019 20:08:37    2188291

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Ha don't think any of our neighbours are too jealous of us atm."
Kildare and Meath could be very well looking to sign him up before the year is half over, choices, choices but we have first call on him.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 27/05/2019 22:19:00    2188353

Link

Even allowing for the fact that there's 3 divisions between Meath and Offaly Meath still beat them by a decent 0-02, Offaly were not in disarray going into the game like Carlow was, for example, we had no manager, no coach, no star midfielder as in Brendan Murphy, things went from bad to worse after 12 mins we lost our prolific scorer Paul Brodrick through injury, we then lost Sean Murphy for retaliation after the offender got brownie points, Carlow then lost Sean Gannon injured and that was hard to take, we also lost center back D. St Ledger along with Eoin Ruth (2 black cards)
It's anyone's guess why he dished out the black cards, as for the red card well I'll leave that one for you to decide.
Meath played a depleted Carlow team from the throw in, after 12 mins Carlow began to lose 4 quality players that they simply couldn't afford to lose but so be it.
I would question where Meath goes from here after failing to put Carlow away when they were gifted the conditions to do just that-
If the negative posts coming from the Meath camp is anything to go by, suggesting that Carlow played negative football, what will be their excuse when they play Leix.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 27/05/2019 22:43:14    2188360

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Even allowing for the fact that there's 3 divisions between Meath and Offaly Meath still beat them by a decent 0-02, Offaly were not in disarray going into the game like Carlow was, for example, we had no manager, no coach, no star midfielder as in Brendan Murphy, things went from bad to worse after 12 mins we lost our prolific scorer Paul Brodrick through injury, we then lost Sean Murphy for retaliation after the offender got brownie points, Carlow then lost Sean Gannon injured and that was hard to take, we also lost center back D. St Ledger along with Eoin Ruth (2 black cards)
It's anyone's guess why he dished out the black cards, as for the red card well I'll leave that one for you to decide.
Meath played a depleted Carlow team from the throw in, after 12 mins Carlow began to lose 4 quality players that they simply couldn't afford to lose but so be it.
I would question where Meath goes from here after failing to put Carlow away when they were gifted the conditions to do just that-
If the negative posts coming from the Meath camp is anything to go by, suggesting that Carlow played negative football, what will be their excuse when they play Leix."
Were you at the game supersub? Meath were too strong for us on the day. We were with them until they got the first goal.
We didn't have Murphy last year but we still beat Louth and Kildare on the way to the Leinster semi final. The team that started was almost identical to the team that beat Kildare last year, I think there were 3 new players starting this year.
The red card was deserved, you can't strike someone in the face. St Ledger's black was harsh but Ruth's one was a black all day, he rugby tackled the opponent which resulted in the penalty.
As for Meath. They done what they had to do. 9 points up at half time and won by 15, if it wasn't for Sansom in the goal and a disallowed goal we'd be looking at a 20+ points win for Meath.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 37 - 28/05/2019 10:23:30    2188424

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "Were you at the game supersub? Meath were too strong for us on the day. We were with them until they got the first goal.
We didn't have Murphy last year but we still beat Louth and Kildare on the way to the Leinster semi final. The team that started was almost identical to the team that beat Kildare last year, I think there were 3 new players starting this year.
The red card was deserved, you can't strike someone in the face. St Ledger's black was harsh but Ruth's one was a black all day, he rugby tackled the opponent which resulted in the penalty.
As for Meath. They done what they had to do. 9 points up at half time and won by 15, if it wasn't for Sansom in the goal and a disallowed goal we'd be looking at a 20+ points win for Meath."
At last a realistic appraisal of Sat. Instead of all the handwringing and and excuses.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 28/05/2019 19:59:47    2188604

Link

Agreed that Saturday wasn't great but I don't feel it was as bad as some people on here feel. We caused our own downfall with the concession of two soft goals and the red/black cards.

We started slow but came back well and got some nice scores. The two goals were sucker punches so close together. We started well in the second half but once Sean Murphy seen red that was it. Meath kicked 6 points from the 66th minute to the final whistle to add insult to injury on the scoreboard.

We finished the game without 6/7 of our starting 15: Chris Crowley, Conor Lawlor, Daniel St. Ledger, Sean Murphy, Brendan Murphy, Eoghan Ruth and Paul Broderick. I know Chris and Brendan were never going to be available but still in a county like ours the absence of one player is felt never mind seven. On the cards, its hard to imagine what was going through Sean Murphy's head, frustration is no excuse for letting your teammates down like that. Eoghan Ruth's black card was obvious and I felt Daniel St. Ledger's was justified by the letter of the law. He blocked the run of a Meath man off the ball when there was absolutely no need, he was 60 yards out nowhere near goal.

I thought Ciaran Moran played well and Gannon left everything on the pitch, he was out on his feet at the end. Hope there's enough belief in the squad to give Kildare a Longford a rattle in the qualifiers. There should be a big crowd in NCP. Hughie Gahan surely has to start now especially with Sean Murphy suspended.

I hear people giving out about the system and yes it's tough to watch and probably needs to be tweaked. But I don't think we have the mix of strength and pace to cope with teams operating in the divisions above us. I know we were defenisve and still got hammered but that was probably the worst day at the office since the London game in the league last year.

Keep the heads up.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1808 - 28/05/2019 20:53:25    2188622

Link

Replying To hogg:  "At last a realistic appraisal of Sat. Instead of all the handwringing and and excuses."
- - - Really, now read it again.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 28/05/2019 21:14:07    2188633

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "- - - Really, now read it again."
I did.same result

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 29/05/2019 00:37:09    2188695

Link

Replying To hurlingguru:  "Agreed that Saturday wasn't great but I don't feel it was as bad as some people on here feel. We caused our own downfall with the concession of two soft goals and the red/black cards.

We started slow but came back well and got some nice scores. The two goals were sucker punches so close together. We started well in the second half but once Sean Murphy seen red that was it. Meath kicked 6 points from the 66th minute to the final whistle to add insult to injury on the scoreboard.

We finished the game without 6/7 of our starting 15: Chris Crowley, Conor Lawlor, Daniel St. Ledger, Sean Murphy, Brendan Murphy, Eoghan Ruth and Paul Broderick. I know Chris and Brendan were never going to be available but still in a county like ours the absence of one player is felt never mind seven. On the cards, its hard to imagine what was going through Sean Murphy's head, frustration is no excuse for letting your teammates down like that. Eoghan Ruth's black card was obvious and I felt Daniel St. Ledger's was justified by the letter of the law. He blocked the run of a Meath man off the ball when there was absolutely no need, he was 60 yards out nowhere near goal.

I thought Ciaran Moran played well and Gannon left everything on the pitch, he was out on his feet at the end. Hope there's enough belief in the squad to give Kildare a Longford a rattle in the qualifiers. There should be a big crowd in NCP. Hughie Gahan surely has to start now especially with Sean Murphy suspended.

I hear people giving out about the system and yes it's tough to watch and probably needs to be tweaked. But I don't think we have the mix of strength and pace to cope with teams operating in the divisions above us. I know we were defenisve and still got hammered but that was probably the worst day at the office since the London game in the league last year.

Keep the heads up."
All fair points. But what I can't get my head around is the fact that we didn't appear to be fit.Now what the excuse for that is I can't fathom.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 29/05/2019 00:39:49    2188696

Link

Replying To hurlingguru:  "Agreed that Saturday wasn't great but I don't feel it was as bad as some people on here feel. We caused our own downfall with the concession of two soft goals and the red/black cards.

Keep the heads up."
Is Hughie Gahan back?!

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1039 - 29/05/2019 09:21:12    2188725

Link