Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Hometown45:  "Don't even begin to talk to that lad. If anyone was in the stand in portlaoise you would have seen what went on after the game and Mr sugrue was the aggressor. Laois would love if the lads left our team. Their Noisy neighbors would be back in their box"
He's a strange one alright

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 24/05/2019 12:01:10    2187087

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Don't even begin to talk to that lad. If anyone was in the stand in portlaoise you would have seen what went on after the game and Mr sugrue was the aggressor. Laois would love if the lads left our team. Their Noisy neighbors would be back in their box"
I wouldn't be too NOISY Hometown if I was you or Lobo might remind you of our recent record against them.;-)

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 24/05/2019 12:45:57    2187101

Link

Replying To Lobo:  "All the Dubs season ticket holders will have first choice of stand tickets.
Just on this whole debacle involving TO'B and Poacher just watch the behaviour of the Dubs management team and see how a manager should act. I have no love for the Dubs but their management team are as professional as you will get.

Poacher has a lot to answer for as regards bad discipline with his carry-on at games this year. He is basically inciting violence at most games and his despicable actions towards the Laois manager at the end of the last league game in O'Moore park shows what he is made of. TO'B has to also take responsibility for this behaviour as he was the man who brought him in.

I would also take the view that both of them should step aside in the interests of Carlow football as all this will come back to haunt them if they don't go."
What actually happened there? I missed that at the end that day.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1038 - 24/05/2019 14:09:38    2187115

Link

I'm going to miss the game tomorrow, can't remember the last time I wasn't at the Leinster first round, good luck to the team, hopefully they can rise to the occasion and put in a big display

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 24/05/2019 14:13:39    2187116

Link

Bookies have Meath at 1/10 and us at 15/2 to win the match.

I'm not convinced we'll win, but those are just the wrong prices.

I'll throw a few quid on us at those odds.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 24/05/2019 14:51:41    2187119

Link

Replying To hogg:  "I wouldn't be too NOISY Hometown if I was you or Lobo might remind you of our recent record against them.;-)"
Well compared to the pre Poacher era. They were beating us by 20 points a game ! So everything in context and all that

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 24/05/2019 15:45:42    2187138

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Well compared to the pre Poacher era. They were beating us by 20 points a game ! So everything in context and all that"
Ha ha easily pleased.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 24/05/2019 18:40:53    2187174

Link

If that's really the team which will take the field, it's hard to see where the scores will come from.... backs look decent, Liam Roberts though has come from nowhere, but best of luck to him... problem is you've two good free takers (on their day), and nobody, except Paul Broderick, who scores much from play... and then one of the forwards is basically a passenger... hope I'm wrong, and Carlow wins by 10 points, but hard to see it.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 268 - 25/05/2019 12:59:15    2187271

Link

Very little coming from the Carlow camp, let's hope it's a good sign.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 25/05/2019 13:13:52    2187273

Link

Agree with Carps, there is no way that team gets enough scores to win. Would have liked to seen Crowley start as he played well in the couple of games he got in the league. Looked a scoring threat and won a lot of ball too.

Even Conor Doyle instead of a certain somebody in the forwards would have been an improvement.

Hope I'm wrong but i'd be surprised if we stay within 5 points of Meath.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 25/05/2019 13:37:39    2187276

Link

Well that was a disaster. Losing Broderick so early was unlucky but team selection has to be questioned, players not starting who should have been, I don't normally criticize the management team but this was a step to far. Sean Murphy had to go after striking out 3 times if you include graping the Meath mans neck. It was like the Carlow of old today completely out of our dept. I would be very nervous that the rising could be over. A bad draw in the qualifiers with a heavy defeat I think could mean a few of the senior players retiring.

Sean Murphy will be suspended for the first round I think because he received a straight red.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 25/05/2019 20:20:01    2187342

Link

If ever we needed proof that this system we operate is dead well we got it today. Absolute shambles. We didn't even look fit.meath could have scored 6.credit to our keeper for that.
The whole philosophy around our system was that we weren't going to get hidings with it in place. well that Was badly exposed today.
So we may as well play a decent brand of football now and at least have a bit of pride in our play rather than that s****e We saw today.
Also the first prerequisite of an interco.player is that he has a bit of guts when we witnessed one particular displaying a complete lack of those today.
Honourable mention to Sean Gannon,Ciaran Moran,Samson,Conor Doyle,Conor Lawler until injured and couple of subs also tried hard.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 25/05/2019 21:18:22    2187379

Link

Surely after the weekends results, it's time for a tiered championship? The reality has to kick in over the dream at some stage - not a slight on our own lads who put in savage work, or any other counties in the same boat, but there is a big gulf between teams and it's fairly obvious from a long long way out who are the top 4 contenders for the all Ireland etc. We hear all this talk coming from counties/managers etc about not being about moral victories anymore for teams, so surely based on that and the evidence ie results from the last 5/7/10 years from minor to senior that what we have is not working? It's like in every county - we have tiered championship from junior c to senior and teams find their level based on ability/results. If they are good enough to go up, they go up, if not.. it's working in the hurling as we can see from our own lads. They might not stay up this year but deserved a go at that level after winning the Joe mcdonagh but will be realistic if they have to go down. One of our the debates about the tiered championship is perhaps the lack of exposure it gets. So be it. That's the reality of the media. It's like that at every level unfortunately from local media to national - as in lower division stuff gets less coverage. Thats life. From a hurling pount of view one of our gretest days and a huge springboard for thr county was our Christy ring success in tullamore. To see what it meant, the crowd on the pitch, the speech, joy unconfined, and how it drove things on. And what did it get? Maybe 2 minutes on the Sunday game. Would I swop that magical experience for more exposure? Not a chance.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 26/05/2019 08:18:55    2187491

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Surely after the weekends results, it's time for a tiered championship? The reality has to kick in over the dream at some stage - not a slight on our own lads who put in savage work, or any other counties in the same boat, but there is a big gulf between teams and it's fairly obvious from a long long way out who are the top 4 contenders for the all Ireland etc. We hear all this talk coming from counties/managers etc about not being about moral victories anymore for teams, so surely based on that and the evidence ie results from the last 5/7/10 years from minor to senior that what we have is not working? It's like in every county - we have tiered championship from junior c to senior and teams find their level based on ability/results. If they are good enough to go up, they go up, if not.. it's working in the hurling as we can see from our own lads. They might not stay up this year but deserved a go at that level after winning the Joe mcdonagh but will be realistic if they have to go down. One of our the debates about the tiered championship is perhaps the lack of exposure it gets. So be it. That's the reality of the media. It's like that at every level unfortunately from local media to national - as in lower division stuff gets less coverage. Thats life. From a hurling pount of view one of our gretest days and a huge springboard for thr county was our Christy ring success in tullamore. To see what it meant, the crowd on the pitch, the speech, joy unconfined, and how it drove things on. And what did it get? Maybe 2 minutes on the Sunday game. Would I swop that magical experience for more exposure? Not a chance."
After last nights performance it's hard to find an argument against a b championship, although we are better than we showed along with Brendan not playing and Broderick going off injured. But my biggest concern is the lack of new players being brought threw, the spine of this team is 30. Poacher has made us competitive and hard to beat ( not counting last night). Personally I think he won't be involved next year. Hopefully we can get a good draw on Monday, after journey of the last few years it would be a shame to end it on 2 bad results regardless of people's opinions of style of play we've had some of the best days following Carlow in many years, which I fear May be coming to an end.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 26/05/2019 10:29:00    2187529

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Surely after the weekends results, it's time for a tiered championship? The reality has to kick in over the dream at some stage - not a slight on our own lads who put in savage work, or any other counties in the same boat, but there is a big gulf between teams and it's fairly obvious from a long long way out who are the top 4 contenders for the all Ireland etc. We hear all this talk coming from counties/managers etc about not being about moral victories anymore for teams, so surely based on that and the evidence ie results from the last 5/7/10 years from minor to senior that what we have is not working? It's like in every county - we have tiered championship from junior c to senior and teams find their level based on ability/results. If they are good enough to go up, they go up, if not.. it's working in the hurling as we can see from our own lads. They might not stay up this year but deserved a go at that level after winning the Joe mcdonagh but will be realistic if they have to go down. One of our the debates about the tiered championship is perhaps the lack of exposure it gets. So be it. That's the reality of the media. It's like that at every level unfortunately from local media to national - as in lower division stuff gets less coverage. Thats life. From a hurling pount of view one of our gretest days and a huge springboard for thr county was our Christy ring success in tullamore. To see what it meant, the crowd on the pitch, the speech, joy unconfined, and how it drove things on. And what did it get? Maybe 2 minutes on the Sunday game. Would I swop that magical experience for more exposure? Not a chance."
Have to disagree with that. To re-phrase your last couple of sentences ... Would I swop the magical experience of beating Kildare last year for winning a B championship in front of about 200 people with no exposure? Not a chance.

Given our size and resources we'll have more bad days than good with the current structures but when they come the good ones are worth way more than any junior alternative.

Also if we are to have a proper tiered championship then there is surely just one team in the A version. You mentioned four contenders but apart from Dublin I don't know who they are? So the A championship if properly graded will not be played at all and Dublin will simply turn up in their suits to be presented with Sam in some nice hotel in September each year. The B championship would then include Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo etc. That would be worth seeing I accept but chance telling those counties you're not good enough to compete for Sam. But that's the same thing we're being told, except they'll put us in a C championship. Same media interest as the Lory Meaghar cup and similar levels of interest from players. No thanks.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 26/05/2019 11:01:38    2187537

Link

On the subject of Pochers so called antics on the sideline, did anyone else see the Meath maour/runner on the terrace side lead with an elbow to Ciarn Moran? As usual linesman didn't see it/want to see it. If that was poacher on the other hand there would be calls for a life time ban.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 26/05/2019 11:50:23    2187553

Link

Any way we could blame the ref?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 26/05/2019 11:51:14    2187554

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Have to disagree with that. To re-phrase your last couple of sentences ... Would I swop the magical experience of beating Kildare last year for winning a B championship in front of about 200 people with no exposure? Not a chance.

Given our size and resources we'll have more bad days than good with the current structures but when they come the good ones are worth way more than any junior alternative.

Also if we are to have a proper tiered championship then there is surely just one team in the A version. You mentioned four contenders but apart from Dublin I don't know who they are? So the A championship if properly graded will not be played at all and Dublin will simply turn up in their suits to be presented with Sam in some nice hotel in September each year. The B championship would then include Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo etc. That would be worth seeing I accept but chance telling those counties you're not good enough to compete for Sam. But that's the same thing we're being told, except they'll put us in a C championship. Same media interest as the Lory Meaghar cup and similar levels of interest from players. No thanks."
Why would only 200 people from carlow/other finalist only turn up to a tiered final but more would instead go see us play kildare etc in a first round?? What can you base that on? Wasn't the case in any hurling final we 've been in - Christy ring or Joe mcdonagh. Good crowds from the finalists relative to their bases. Are football supporters different??! Surely you support your county no matter what they are in or whatever level they are at? I can't see that as an argument if you are a real supporter (I know you are) of your county. The reality is I d love to see my own club fenagh play eire og in senior but until we win the junior (this has to be our year??!!), then intermediate, we won't get that chance. It hasn't destroyed us as a club being junior! Probably sharpened our focus and we got more lads playing as we weren't shipping beatings and are competitive. The media exposure bit doesn't really do it for me. Hurlers weren't effected by this in their journey through the tiered system. They wanted to be the best they could be and new that they had to win to get to the Liam McCarthy level. I think it's supporters that are concerned more about the media than the players - well in the main anyhow! If you are at a game, do you really mind what you see/hear about it after? It's nice to get exposure and see our players talents and efforts showcased on national media e.g. like mouse's scores v Galway etc but it surely can't be a reason to stop a serious look at a properly tiered championship. And If we were put in the c etc, well go win it! Then you are up where you believe you should be. I think we ve to change our mindset about what a tiered championship is. The tommy Murphy cup shouldn't be what we base our views on.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 26/05/2019 12:34:04    2187581

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Any way we could blame the ref?"
Childish comment

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 26/05/2019 15:16:03    2187639

Link

That was disappointing. But unfortunately things were not looking good when Broderick went off. As was the loss of Brendan Murphy before the game. Also Sean Gannon didn't look fit. Must have been carrying a knock and when Sean m got the red it was lights out. We have limited resources as it is and without those fellas it was going to be a big ask. Especially Brendan and Paul. the new lads who started did quite well in fairness to them. But the goals finished the game in the first half. Hope for a good draw in the qualifiers.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 26/05/2019 21:26:43    2187838

Link