Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MOH:  "A double-down on the wind-up . Well played Carlow Man.
Now is the time for us to stick together I would have thought.
We were treated very badly in Div 3 from the matches I attended.
Hearsay you say.."
Dead right. Less than a fortnight before the championship and some on here would it seems rather talk about getting rid of our most successful management team in at least 30 years.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 13/05/2019 20:51:50    2183809

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "supersub - I am not winding you up!

I honestly believe that there are no extenuating circumstances that will be taken into account regarding the incidents that pertained to the Down match.
Perception is one thing , reality is another. Perception from a Carlow fan on the night is that the referee - to put it mildly did not have a good game. But from the perspective of those who have read and act on the referees report- they will take the report itself and base their findings on that alone. Hearsay- perception- a Carlow perspective - will not be taken into account.

Regarding whether the referee should be accepted again - I don't think that situation will happen again as I don't believe that the GAA will put him forward to referee us again, and if he was given us again- there would be nothing we could do! We would have to accept him as the referee!

On whether the current management team should stay or go - I am crystal clear - if they are suspended- my understanding is that this includes all GAA activities including the preparation of the team- if that is the case - then I think they should resign as the team need management to be there and directly involved in the preparation of the team. And to be honest - if they are allowed to be involved in preparing the team but are not allowed on the sideline etc on the day of the games - I think that they should still go.

Would any management accept the behaviour witnessed and experienced by the referee on that night from a player...I don't think so.

I think the team needs a new voice - a new approach- a new trust in the ability of the players more. But - that's my view- of course others will not agree as is their right. So - supersub - hopefully that clears up the scenario on my view."
"I think the team needs a new voice - a new approach- a new trust in the ability of the players more. But - that's my view- of course others will not agree as is their right. So - supersub - hopefully that clears up the scenario on my view."

The last time the team was led by a different voice than Turlough was in 2014 and 2015. We had most of the same players have have now.

In 2014, we lost to Meath by 7-13 to 0-6. That is a 30 point beating.

In a fortnight's time, we actually have a chance of beating them.

That same year, Clare beat us in the qualifiers by 19 points. Clare!!

In 2015, Leix beat us 3-16 to 0-8. A 17 point hammering. Last week, the local newspaper lashed Turlough because we lost three times to Leix last year. All by far less than that!

In 2016, Turlough took over and Louth beat us by 10 points in the first round. We then beat Wicklow by five and lost to Cavan (away) by seven. The first signs of improvement.

In 2017, Poacher came in and we beat Wexford by four, before going down by 12 to Dublin. In the qualifiers we beat London and Leitrim, before going down by five to Monaghan.

It was probably the first time we were involved in mid July since the 1940's!!

Last year, we hammered Louth by eleven points (a 21 point turnaround in two years!!) before beating Kildare for the first time in decades, by seven points. We then lost to Leix by four in only our second Leinster semi-final since the 1960's, when Ned Doogue and Eamon Long were leading the line!! It was a 13 post turnaround since 2015. We later went down to Tyrone by ten, which was disappointing. It's also worth noting our 'star player' headed off to the US and missed the whole campaign.

Let's be clear here, if you think anyone can do better with Carlow than Turlough, you are either a) trolling or b) need your head read.

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 13/05/2019 21:29:00    2183823

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  ""I think the team needs a new voice - a new approach- a new trust in the ability of the players more. But - that's my view- of course others will not agree as is their right. So - supersub - hopefully that clears up the scenario on my view."

The last time the team was led by a different voice than Turlough was in 2014 and 2015. We had most of the same players have have now.

In 2014, we lost to Meath by 7-13 to 0-6. That is a 30 point beating.

In a fortnight's time, we actually have a chance of beating them.

That same year, Clare beat us in the qualifiers by 19 points. Clare!!

In 2015, Leix beat us 3-16 to 0-8. A 17 point hammering. Last week, the local newspaper lashed Turlough because we lost three times to Leix last year. All by far less than that!

In 2016, Turlough took over and Louth beat us by 10 points in the first round. We then beat Wicklow by five and lost to Cavan (away) by seven. The first signs of improvement.

In 2017, Poacher came in and we beat Wexford by four, before going down by 12 to Dublin. In the qualifiers we beat London and Leitrim, before going down by five to Monaghan.

It was probably the first time we were involved in mid July since the 1940's!!

Last year, we hammered Louth by eleven points (a 21 point turnaround in two years!!) before beating Kildare for the first time in decades, by seven points. We then lost to Leix by four in only our second Leinster semi-final since the 1960's, when Ned Doogue and Eamon Long were leading the line!! It was a 13 post turnaround since 2015. We later went down to Tyrone by ten, which was disappointing. It's also worth noting our 'star player' headed off to the US and missed the whole campaign.

Let's be clear here, if you think anyone can do better with Carlow than Turlough, you are either a) trolling or b) need your head read."
Tak you're correct in that we have made massive improvements but some of your facts are not.turlough was assistant manager when Meath hammered us.he was manager when laois hammered us and when Louth hammered us.its only with the arrival of poacher that we have seen the massive improvement,from a very low base it must be said but nevertheless credit to him for getting Stephen in.its his second time to be suspended and while it indicates his passion it is simply not acceptable behaviour as anyone who witnessed the Down aftermath can testify. I hope you're right and we do beat Meath but our chances haven't been helped by the behaviour of management and it's very difficult to expect players to show discipline if management don't.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 13/05/2019 23:21:43    2183854

Link

Personally I'm seriously disappointed with how the system and it's politics within the gaa "doesn't" work. Carlow is going to play a Meath team in the LSF championship in less than two weeks time who have recently been promoted to Div.1 against the back drop of a nightmare end to div.3 status that saw Carlow demoted to div.4, Alfred Hitchcock wouldn't write a better script.
I'll say it again I do not condone violence or verbal abuse on the field of play towards anyone, in this case if a guilty verdict was being handed down then a fair and equitable sentence was needed to match the verdict. Personally I would have reluctantly have settled for 4 weeks x 3 and a 500 euros fine x 3.
At the end of the season an extension of 3 years should be offered to Turlough O'Brien in compensation for dismantling the great work he has done over the past 3/4 years.
It has to be remembered Carlow now find themselves going into the Meath game with no appropriate preparation, no manager, no coach, no talisman as in Brendan Murphy, TO'B by the way didn't plan this to happen as it's not in his make up so to speak.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 13/05/2019 23:37:50    2183856

Link

What's the latest on the bans? any idea if they will be reduced?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 14/05/2019 10:59:36    2183920

Link

is brendan murphy suspended?

dickie10 (UK) - Posts: 464 - 14/05/2019 15:42:15    2184021

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Personally I'm seriously disappointed with how the system and it's politics within the gaa "doesn't" work. Carlow is going to play a Meath team in the LSF championship in less than two weeks time who have recently been promoted to Div.1 against the back drop of a nightmare end to div.3 status that saw Carlow demoted to div.4, Alfred Hitchcock wouldn't write a better script.
I'll say it again I do not condone violence or verbal abuse on the field of play towards anyone, in this case if a guilty verdict was being handed down then a fair and equitable sentence was needed to match the verdict. Personally I would have reluctantly have settled for 4 weeks x 3 and a 500 euros fine x 3.
At the end of the season an extension of 3 years should be offered to Turlough O'Brien in compensation for dismantling the great work he has done over the past 3/4 years.
It has to be remembered Carlow now find themselves going into the Meath game with no appropriate preparation, no manager, no coach, no talisman as in Brendan Murphy, TO'B by the way didn't plan this to happen as it's not in his make up so to speak."
Supersub15. I think you'll find that Carlow's preparation has been excellent despite the 'word on the street' and media angle about disarray etc.
It seems to have galvanised and bonded the entire panel and backroom team. If you check back Carlow has not been well beaten by any County regardless of Div. in the last 2 years!!!
This is a difficult assignment for Meath - they will not have it easy!

Ceatharlach abú!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 14/05/2019 17:49:41    2184061

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Personally I'm seriously disappointed with how the system and it's politics within the gaa "doesn't" work. Carlow is going to play a Meath team in the LSF championship in less than two weeks time who have recently been promoted to Div.1 against the back drop of a nightmare end to div.3 status that saw Carlow demoted to div.4, Alfred Hitchcock wouldn't write a better script.
It has to be remembered Carlow now find themselves going into the Meath game with no appropriate preparation, no manager, no coach, no talisman as in Brendan Murphy, TO'B by the way didn't plan this to happen as it's not in his make up so to speak."
Carlow are playing Meath as they beat Offaly and that was the draw- live on RTE ... there is no politics in it... we are there by right based on our Championship run last year, and we deserve to for once NOT be playing in a preliminary round which was the norm for us for many years. Last years team performance Is rewarded with a spot in 2 weeks... fully deserved. It is great that the clubs in particular have had the players with them for league games in April. That I am sure was great for the players too - to be back with their own and playing with them.

The team fully deserve to be coming in at this stage of the Leinster and league performances have nothing at all to do with it...

How you can say that you would reluctantly take - '4 weeks x3 and 500 euros fine x3'... hard to figure that one out! The GAA do not work on the premise of what suits an individual or county...

and you write - 'At the end of the season an extension of 3 years should be offered to Turlough O'Brien in compensation for dismantling the great work he has done over the past 3/4 years.'

Are you suggesting that Turlough should be offered a 3 year extension based on the way the GAA has treated him with suspension?

Trying to understand fully the points you are making.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1486 - 14/05/2019 21:20:55    2184133

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Tak you're correct in that we have made massive improvements but some of your facts are not.turlough was assistant manager when Meath hammered us.he was manager when laois hammered us and when Louth hammered us.its only with the arrival of poacher that we have seen the massive improvement,from a very low base it must be said but nevertheless credit to him for getting Stephen in.its his second time to be suspended and while it indicates his passion it is simply not acceptable behaviour as anyone who witnessed the Down aftermath can testify. I hope you're right and we do beat Meath but our chances haven't been helped by the behaviour of management and it's very difficult to expect players to show discipline if management don't."
Yes, Hogg. Sorry, I forgot Turlough was there in 2015. Mea culpa. Anyway, given how terrible things were in in 2015, even that year was a small improvement and 2016. was a significant one. 2017, with the arrival of Poacher, really moved it up a gear. And it was Turlough who brought in Poacher!

Agree he went over the top against Down, but if you were there, you'll recall the rage in the stands, let alone the pitch.

Anyway, my point is I think calls for his head are ridiculous, and short sighted. In the past thirty years, I can remember, nobody has done better with Carlow than Turlough and he deserves a chance to take us back up out of Division Four.

If that fails, perhaps it might be appropriate to ask a few questions then. Fair enough. But not now. We were deeply unlucky not to stay up in Three this year.

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 14/05/2019 21:27:08    2184139

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Yes, Hogg. Sorry, I forgot Turlough was there in 2015. Mea culpa. Anyway, given how terrible things were in in 2015, even that year was a small improvement and 2016. was a significant one. 2017, with the arrival of Poacher, really moved it up a gear. And it was Turlough who brought in Poacher!

Agree he went over the top against Down, but if you were there, you'll recall the rage in the stands, let alone the pitch.

Anyway, my point is I think calls for his head are ridiculous, and short sighted. In the past thirty years, I can remember, nobody has done better with Carlow than Turlough and he deserves a chance to take us back up out of Division Four.

If that fails, perhaps it might be appropriate to ask a few questions then. Fair enough. But not now. We were deeply unlucky not to stay up in Three this year."
That's fair comment tak. There's no need for apologies. We all want the same thing here.id agree that he should be given chance to get us out of div4. A lot will depend on our showing in championship imho.only caveat id add is the hope that he will not be oblivious to claims of some panel members in favour of persons closer to home.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 14/05/2019 23:58:04    2184184

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Yes, Hogg. Sorry, I forgot Turlough was there in 2015. Mea culpa. Anyway, given how terrible things were in in 2015, even that year was a small improvement and 2016. was a significant one. 2017, with the arrival of Poacher, really moved it up a gear. And it was Turlough who brought in Poacher!

If that fails, perhaps it might be appropriate to ask a few questions then. Fair enough. But not now. We were deeply unlucky not to stay up in Three this year."
That's fair comment tak. There's no need for apologies. We all want the same thing here.id agree that he should be given chance to get us out of div4. A lot will depend on our showing in championship imho.only caveat id add is the hope that he will not be oblivious to claims of some panel members in favour of persons closer to home.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 14/05/2019 23:58:17    2184185

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "
Carlow are playing Meath as they beat Offaly and that was the draw- live on RTE ... there is no politics in it... we are there by right based on our Championship run last year, and we deserve to for once NOT be playing in a preliminary round which was the norm for us for many years. Last years team performance Is rewarded with a spot in 2 weeks... fully deserved. It is great that the clubs in particular have had the players with them for league games in April. That I am sure was great for the players too - to be back with their own and playing with them.

The team fully deserve to be coming in at this stage of the Leinster and league performances have nothing at all to do with it...

How you can say that you would reluctantly take - '4 weeks x3 and 500 euros fine x3'... hard to figure that one out! The GAA do not work on the premise of what suits an individual or county...

and you write - 'At the end of the season an extension of 3 years should be offered to Turlough O'Brien in compensation for dismantling the great work he has done over the past 3/4 years.'

Are you suggesting that Turlough should be offered a 3 year extension based on the way the GAA has treated him with suspension?

Trying to understand fully the points you are making."
Carlowman, I seem to have posted points that may have misled you, I wasn't making any negative reference to the Carlow / Meath game or how they came to play Meath or the draw itself, so everything you said in your post like, "Carlow are playing Meath as they beat Offaly and that was the draw- live on RTE ... there is no politics in it." You are spot on and I have no issue with any of that.

With regards to TO'B and SP's success rate with Carlow it's like this, beating Kildare and what followed in the championship was mega stuff, promotion from the div.4 after 33 years was ultra mega and massive, Carlow's performance in the league was very,very encouraging and having to make do without Paul Brodrick was to say the least challenging, Carlow was robbed of a win in 2 / 3 games in particular against Westmeath and Down and so be it, all games in div.3 was seriously competitive, in fact I would safely say div.3 offered more positives and overall entertainment / competitiveness than any other division, Carlow's games included. Carlow's stay in div.3 lasted right up to the final whistle against Down in NCP, the last 90 secs. of that game was mentally explosive, not knowing when the final whistle was going to sound and when it did it triggered a "spontaneous combustion" that's the only way I can describe it. I keep saying, I do not condone Physical aggression, verbal aggression, insulting behaviour and all that goes with it on the field of play.

"There's an old saying, it takes two hands to clap, so should the referee had blown for full time at the point when Carlow and Down were level, he would have been within his rights, there would have been no winners, there would have been no losers however Carlow would have stayed in div.3, the rest is history shall we say.
The sanction that was handed down to TO'B, SP, and BM, in my opinion only, is that it is at the critical end, the suspensions could be reduced, an appropriate fine (as I suggested) could be put in place and let the clubs pay the fine or whoever."
- somewhere in here the politics let us down.

My thoughts on TO'B getting an extension to his term would be to give him the opportunity to get Carlow promoted again to div.3, another poster shares the same view.
The progress that was made over 2/3 years was dismantled by coincidence or otherwise when the full time whistle was blown at the end of the Carlow / Down game, personally I believe TO'B is the man reassemble Carlow's the road back to div.3

I hope I am being fair and balanced here to all concerned.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 15/05/2019 09:49:16    2184231

Link

According to the home page, the Carlow trio will know their fate later today.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 15/05/2019 12:51:16    2184282

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "According to the home page, the Carlow trio will know their fate later today."
According to independent they found out last night?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 15/05/2019 13:39:43    2184296

Link

Sent back to the cac for review. Gives them a chance. Next week decision.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the42.ie/brendan-murphy-turlough-obrien-steven-poacher-carlow-dra-ruling-suspensions-4635895-May2019/%3famp=1

carlovia (None) - Posts: 972 - 15/05/2019 22:02:20    2184423

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Sent back to the cac for review. Gives them a chance. Next week decision.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the42.ie/brendan-murphy-turlough-obrien-steven-poacher-carlow-dra-ruling-suspensions-4635895-May2019/%3famp=1"
I can see Brendan and Poacher being free for Saturday week. But not Turlough. I would say he will get a reduced ban.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 405 - 15/05/2019 22:34:17    2184432

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "I can see Brendan and Poacher being free for Saturday week. But not Turlough. I would say he will get a reduced ban."
Don't think so.looks like a cop out to me.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 16/05/2019 00:38:38    2184452

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Don't think so.looks like a cop out to me."
Cop out by who? Sure they can still go back to the DRA if not happy with whatever CAC comes up with now.

Clearly all is not right with how this has been handled. The ref lost the run of himself writing his report. He forgot there was cameras everywhere. The CAC now have a chance to save face for all concerned. If all the vans are halved all is good. If Turlough's ban is halved he'll be in the clear midnight before Meath game.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 16/05/2019 09:44:19    2184483

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Cop out by who? Sure they can still go back to the DRA if not happy with whatever CAC comes up with now.

Clearly all is not right with how this has been handled. The ref lost the run of himself writing his report. He forgot there was cameras everywhere. The CAC now have a chance to save face for all concerned. If all the vans are halved all is good. If Turlough's ban is halved he'll be in the clear midnight before Meath game."
If they can still go back that's fine.you sure they can.?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 16/05/2019 10:41:41    2184506

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Cop out by who? Sure they can still go back to the DRA if not happy with whatever CAC comes up with now.

Clearly all is not right with how this has been handled. The ref lost the run of himself writing his report. He forgot there was cameras everywhere. The CAC now have a chance to save face for all concerned. If all the vans are halved all is good. If Turlough's ban is halved he'll be in the clear midnight before Meath game."
OB. You make some interesting comments, presumably with some background knowledge.

How do you conclude that the ref lost the run of himself with what he put in his report? Is his report generally available? Is there something in his report that is contradicted by camera evidence?

I'm not having a go at you or anything, I'm just interested to hear any background to your comments.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 16/05/2019 10:55:34    2184513

Link