Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To The Real 1944:  "Lost by a point to Cork last night in a challenge game I heard. Anyone at it or know what the team was? Good that we are playing the likes of Cork instead of the days of Kildare juniors etc!"
Apart from the team I'd be just as interested to hear who was on the sidelines managing the team? Or are the boys ok to continue for now seeing as there's an appeal pending?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 30/04/2019 22:58:54    2181169

Link

Challenge games are what they are. It doesn't matter what the team was.
I believe both teams played under strength....and all subs got games also.
No need for any other details here on HS

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 234 - 01/05/2019 08:36:34    2181192

Link

Replying To fullbach:  "Challenge games are what they are. It doesn't matter what the team was.
I believe both teams played under strength....and all subs got games also.
No need for any other details here on HS"
Indeed Fullback.... loose lips sink ships

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 144 - 01/05/2019 11:11:14    2181226

Link

Ye reckon the Meath or offaly management team are scouring here for info that might shade their game v us??? Ah lads!!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 01/05/2019 22:04:38    2181347

Link

Suspensions upheld so all three are appealing to the DRA which is independent. Hopefully we'll get some justice there. A good lawyer should get them off. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what happened the GAA are bound to have made a hames of the disciplinary process somewhere along the way. Hopefully.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 03/05/2019 13:29:06    2181653

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Suspensions upheld so all three are appealing to the DRA which is independent. Hopefully we'll get some justice there. A good lawyer should get them off. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what happened the GAA are bound to have made a hames of the disciplinary process somewhere along the way. Hopefully."
Don't think they'll get off nor do they deserve to.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 03/05/2019 20:14:33    2181734

Link

We all saw what happened and we also were told what happened happened after the referee blew for full time.
Regardless of what happens on the field, you just cannot exacerbate the situation after a match no matter who you are.
I would be surprised if any of the lads got off. If a lawyer is employed to defend the case... who pays the tune anyhow ?

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1486 - 04/05/2019 02:00:56    2181770

Link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-statistics-the-12-adopted-sons-of-the-football-championship-1.3885489%3fmode=amp

Was reading this earlier. States that Chris Crowley has left the panel. I presume its due to army duty (open to correction on that). Big loss going into the championship.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 37 - 09/05/2019 17:21:29    2182787

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Don't think they'll get off nor do they deserve to."
Does that effectively mean they should resign their positions.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 10/05/2019 12:17:23    2182918

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "We all saw what happened and we also were told what happened happened after the referee blew for full time.
Regardless of what happens on the field, you just cannot exacerbate the situation after a match no matter who you are.
I would be surprised if any of the lads got off. If a lawyer is employed to defend the case... who pays the tune anyhow ?"
If only all things in life were that simple, let me say I don't condone violence, harassment, or any sort of obscenities towards referee's or match officials, now let me ask you and those that found TO'B, SP, and BM guilty beyond fear of contradiction a question or two, my question is, -
1. Q. - Is their any mitigating factors in their favour,? simply YES /NO ?
2. Q. - What did they retaliate for, percicely.?
3. Q. - If the same Referee was appointed to officiate at the Carlow / Meath / Offaly game would you accept that appointment without question.
4. Q. - Finally, in your opinion should they resign their positions immediately from the Carlow senior football squad.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 10/05/2019 12:50:57    2182925

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "If only all things in life were that simple, let me say I don't condone violence, harassment, or any sort of obscenities towards referee's or match officials, now let me ask you and those that found TO'B, SP, and BM guilty beyond fear of contradiction a question or two, my question is, -
1. Q. - Is their any mitigating factors in their favour,? simply YES /NO ?
2. Q. - What did they retaliate for, percicely.?
3. Q. - If the same Referee was appointed to officiate at the Carlow / Meath / Offaly game would you accept that appointment without question.
4. Q. - Finally, in your opinion should they resign their positions immediately from the Carlow senior football squad.
"
1. Yes

2. Blatant robbery.

3. He wouldnt be accepted

4. No question should they resign.....
O Brien..he is the most passionate genuine manager in our history of Carlow managers and has done an amazing job since taking over.
I think he still has unfinished work to do.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 10/05/2019 13:48:17    2182935

Link

Replying To novalis:  "1. Yes

2. Blatant robbery.

3. He wouldnt be accepted

4. No question should they resign.....
O Brien..he is the most passionate genuine manager in our history of Carlow managers and has done an amazing job since taking over.
I think he still has unfinished work to do."
I put the same question to Carlow man.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 10/05/2019 16:56:31    2182977

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "I put the same question to Carlow man."
I think that there are no mitigating circumstances- when it comes to officialdom dealing with the situation. Of course you and Carlow fans will see it differently but those who will or have dealt with the situation will not see it that way. They will base their decision on what actually happened ie on the referee's report.

Will the same referee be accepted again if he is chosen for us for championship - well to be honest the answer is no- again for Carlow fans but officialdom will again not see it that way but considering what happened it is extremely unlikely that will happen.
Should TOB and SP resign? I think it is time for them to go. If you cannot control yourself while in charge of a team it is time to go. You expect/demand that the players show self discipline and if you don't show it yourself as a manager then I think the players will have lost respect for you. The consequence Is that officially TOB is not supposed to be at training etc as well as matches. That is not good enough. The manager needs to be there at training etc.

We got out of Div 4 and are straight back down!!
We won 2 matches in championship last year that showed good progress but have slipped back down to div 4 which is not progress. The margins are small but you need to be on the right side of those margins to be making progress.

Being passionate is just one aspect of being a successful manager, there are other aspects to be considered also..
I understand that many are upset by what has happened at the Down match but other things have to be taken into account also.
I understand that many fans will not agree but I think you need to be objective when considering the issues.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1486 - 11/05/2019 12:14:46    2183080

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "I think that there are no mitigating circumstances- when it comes to officialdom dealing with the situation. Of course you and Carlow fans will see it differently but those who will or have dealt with the situation will not see it that way. They will base their decision on what actually happened ie on the referee's report.

Will the same referee be accepted again if he is chosen for us for championship - well to be honest the answer is no- again for Carlow fans but officialdom will again not see it that way but considering what happened it is extremely unlikely that will happen.
Should TOB and SP resign? I think it is time for them to go. If you cannot control yourself while in charge of a team it is time to go. You expect/demand that the players show self discipline and if you don't show it yourself as a manager then I think the players will have lost respect for you. The consequence Is that officially TOB is not supposed to be at training etc as well as matches. That is not good enough. The manager needs to be there at training etc.

We won 2 matches in championship last year that showed good progress but have slipped back down to div 4 which is not progress. The margins are small but you need to be on the right side of those margins to be making progress.

Being passionate is just one aspect of being a successful manager, there are other aspects to be considered also..
I understand that many are upset by what has happened at the Down match but other things have to be taken into account also.
I understand that many fans will not agree but I think you need to be objective when considering the issues."
Well said carlowman.A bit of reality instead of the usual eulogising.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 12/05/2019 00:03:35    2183209

Link

Meath game now I'm portlaoise as part of a double header with Dublin and Louth.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 13/05/2019 10:12:27    2183524

Link

Match V Meath in Portlaoise at 5 on Saturday 25th May

Double header with the Dubs v Louth

carlovia (None) - Posts: 972 - 13/05/2019 10:26:55    2183533

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Match V Meath in Portlaoise at 5 on Saturday 25th May

Double header with the Dubs v Louth"
certainly we wont be stuck for neutral support - all bar the Royals will be shouting for us.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 451 - 13/05/2019 15:23:19    2183696

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "I think that there are no mitigating circumstances- when it comes to officialdom dealing with the situation. Of course you and Carlow fans will see it differently but those who will or have dealt with the situation will not see it that way. They will base their decision on what actually happened ie on the referee's report.

I understand that many fans will not agree but I think you need to be objective when considering the issues."
Carlowman, I had to read your post two or three times before the penny dropped, it was then I realised you are winding me up, and so be it, but I'm still no wiser.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1935 - 13/05/2019 15:41:37    2183706

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Carlowman, I had to read your post two or three times before the penny dropped, it was then I realised you are winding me up, and so be it, but I'm still no wiser."
supersub - I am not winding you up!

I honestly believe that there are no extenuating circumstances that will be taken into account regarding the incidents that pertained to the Down match.
Perception is one thing , reality is another. Perception from a Carlow fan on the night is that the referee - to put it mildly did not have a good game. But from the perspective of those who have read and act on the referees report- they will take the report itself and base their findings on that alone. Hearsay- perception- a Carlow perspective - will not be taken into account.

Regarding whether the referee should be accepted again - I don't think that situation will happen again as I don't believe that the GAA will put him forward to referee us again, and if he was given us again- there would be nothing we could do! We would have to accept him as the referee!

On whether the current management team should stay or go - I am crystal clear - if they are suspended- my understanding is that this includes all GAA activities including the preparation of the team- if that is the case - then I think they should resign as the team need management to be there and directly involved in the preparation of the team. And to be honest - if they are allowed to be involved in preparing the team but are not allowed on the sideline etc on the day of the games - I think that they should still go.

Would any management accept the behaviour witnessed and experienced by the referee on that night from a player...I don't think so.

I think the team needs a new voice - a new approach- a new trust in the ability of the players more. But - that's my view- of course others will not agree as is their right. So - supersub - hopefully that clears up the scenario on my view.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1486 - 13/05/2019 17:54:32    2183751

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "supersub - I am not winding you up!

I honestly believe that there are no extenuating circumstances that will be taken into account regarding the incidents that pertained to the Down match.
Perception is one thing , reality is another. Perception from a Carlow fan on the night is that the referee - to put it mildly did not have a good game. But from the perspective of those who have read and act on the referees report- they will take the report itself and base their findings on that alone. Hearsay- perception- a Carlow perspective - will not be taken into account.

Regarding whether the referee should be accepted again - I don't think that situation will happen again as I don't believe that the GAA will put him forward to referee us again, and if he was given us again- there would be nothing we could do! We would have to accept him as the referee!

On whether the current management team should stay or go - I am crystal clear - if they are suspended- my understanding is that this includes all GAA activities including the preparation of the team- if that is the case - then I think they should resign as the team need management to be there and directly involved in the preparation of the team. And to be honest - if they are allowed to be involved in preparing the team but are not allowed on the sideline etc on the day of the games - I think that they should still go.

Would any management accept the behaviour witnessed and experienced by the referee on that night from a player...I don't think so.

I think the team needs a new voice - a new approach- a new trust in the ability of the players more. But - that's my view- of course others will not agree as is their right. So - supersub - hopefully that clears up the scenario on my view."
A double-down on the wind-up . Well played Carlow Man.
Now is the time for us to stick together I would have thought.
We were treated very badly in Div 3 from the matches I attended.
Hearsay you say..

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 13/05/2019 19:36:14    2183788

Link