Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To old yellar:  "Some general observations -
we must be one of only a few teams not using 20/21 players in a game - 18 today? We seem to have a lot of lads with a lot of minutes in the legs and does this go against us in games? Also, does this long term send a message to the remaining 16/17 panellists that they are only making up numbers etc? I think this drop might start a few more thoughts in lads heads. In the hurling panel I know it could be said the same of and I think bonnars words after the game about having to leave if they lost the relegation battle was possibly as much about facing into players as much as going down.. We 've built up a lot of goodwill/support etc also along the way outside/inside the county for our "rising " and you d be hoping the actions of a few don't take from it. You d be hoping all you d hear wouldn't be the truth.."
What have you been hearing Old yellar. No names nesessary

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 309 - 24/03/2019 22:34:46    2175022

Link

It's a tough one to take heading straight back down after so many years trying to escape that dreaded div 4.
We didn't lose it because of today, it was the 2 games in the middle of the league that killed us against Longford and Offaly. Never showed up at all in the Longford game, and then in Tullamore threw it away with stupid red cards and serious lack of discipline that day.
We were robbed in Mullingar when Sean Murphy was through on goal and brought down and ref never gave us free in and the blew final whistle. That win instead of a draw would have been enough.
Down game last week we were hard done by.
Not having Paul Broderick for most of the games was a killer too, the frees he would have scored plus the fact that he is a quality fw who can kick points from play would have swung tight games our way.

Overall things did not go in our favour with refs and injuries, but saying that as others have said a couple of players started most/all games when they are clearly not good enough. This is an ongoing issue, and despite all the good Turlough & Stevie have done it is very frustrating to see them continue this. They don't use the bench well at all. Darren Lunney who was great in O'Byrne cup didn't get a minute all league, a couple of other guys the same. We only ever seem to make the same 2 or 3 changes every game.

I'd be worried now for the future, the age profile our our team is not good. Most are 30 or over now, and how many will have the heart to go back into training next winter for games against London, Wicklow and Waterford etc again.
I'd be amazed if Poacher stuck around, and even Turlough might think 5 years or so is enough.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 25/03/2019 00:35:08    2175075

Link

Very tight margins between heading to div 2 or div 4. I don't agree with the head to head rule. Carlow had a better points difference than Offaly.

Good luck v Meath, a county Carlow traditionally pulls out big games against. I remember back to 1986.

League wise ye should bounce back to div 3. Hope ye get going in the championship and regain momentum.

Quigley back in such form was an unexpected boost for us.

BliainanÁir (Laois) - Posts: 598 - 25/03/2019 02:14:10    2175085

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Not really sure I agree on the subs, I think we have a limited pick, I do think Crowley showed enough to start though, but that's selection choices rather than using the bench right. The late free that wasn't given Vs Westmeath the last two down frees and the three goals from high balls were the decisive factor in the league."
missed penalty against longford was a huge turning point too. Unbeaten until then.

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 25/03/2019 08:12:54    2175110

Link

Replying To hogg:  "What have you been hearing Old yellar. No names nesessary"
I hope this isn't the start of the finger pointing? From the outside all looks well in the camp with everyone working together. As mentioned above no names necessary but why things have you herd?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 25/03/2019 08:54:33    2175122

Link

A few was a mistake on my part. Too broad. No slight on any player, all doing above and beyond and I commend them. I don't like some of our sideline antics by our runner tbh, tactics aside, or player selection aside. Dunno does it do us any favours. Heard there was more unpleasantness at end of match. But possibly lies. Who knows! Still don't like them!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2588 - 25/03/2019 09:58:02    2175152

Link

Look we can consider it hard luck to be going down - for sure. We didn't get some decisions our way earlier in the league but no point quibbling and if we are depending on reffing decisions we maybe need to say we should be putting a few more points on the board from play. Yesterday Laois needed that result and home was worth a few points to them so it was a big ask.

I'd agree management were sparing of our bench during the league, but to be fair all the matches we were in were tight contests where the margin for trying out new players is at the minimum. Maybe the line feel the bulk of the starting XV got them there and are slow to change it up ?? To be fair Samson was new and Lee Walker had become a regular starter before injury (someone I feel would have aided our attack yesterday). However, we are not coming down with match winners on the bench - so management need to be cut some slack.

Certainly we can mix it at the Div 3 level, maybe a spell in Div 4 could see us rebuild the side with some of the older guys being replaced - agree with old Yeller - there might be a lot of miles in some legs and maybe it was a big ask to expect them to perform consistently

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 25/03/2019 10:27:37    2175176

Link

You would have to be disappointed for the lads. They performed well in patches for games but probaly lacked the consistency you would need to stay up. In saying that the margins are incredibly tight.

In relation to the match i felt we played fairly well, we were probably more expansive than usual which probably fed into their hands. Their inside line was the danger area and did most of the damage. Thats not a sleight on the fb line but they were up against good operators. Ive said before on here if managemnt felt they had something on the bench to change things they would bring them on. Crowley played very well when introduced with a good impact as did shane clarke. Must be something with Lunney as i agree he did well in OBC.

The interesting thing will be who stays and who goes. You would get the feeling it could be the last year for B Kavanagh, John Murphy maybe robbie molloy but a lot of lads while they have been playing a long time they are still fairly young. Brendan, Foley, St Ledger, redmond, Lawlor, Sean M, gannon, Ruth etc are all probably under 30 still or close to it. I cant see why they would leave unless they are sick of it? Maybe a change in management will refresh things. Who knows. But we dont have the players to replace these type of lads at the moment and lads like morrissey and conor doyle and crowley will take over the mantle eventually but possibly not just yet. You can see even when Broderick was gone we just dont have a player that demands that type of respect from opposition.

Its been a good journey but lets hope its not over just yet.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 25/03/2019 11:17:45    2175200

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "You would have to be disappointed for the lads. They performed well in patches for games but probaly lacked the consistency you would need to stay up. In saying that the margins are incredibly tight.

In relation to the match i felt we played fairly well, we were probably more expansive than usual which probably fed into their hands. Their inside line was the danger area and did most of the damage. Thats not a sleight on the fb line but they were up against good operators. Ive said before on here if managemnt felt they had something on the bench to change things they would bring them on. Crowley played very well when introduced with a good impact as did shane clarke. Must be something with Lunney as i agree he did well in OBC.

The interesting thing will be who stays and who goes. You would get the feeling it could be the last year for B Kavanagh, John Murphy maybe robbie molloy but a lot of lads while they have been playing a long time they are still fairly young. Brendan, Foley, St Ledger, redmond, Lawlor, Sean M, gannon, Ruth etc are all probably under 30 still or close to it. I cant see why they would leave unless they are sick of it? Maybe a change in management will refresh things. Who knows. But we dont have the players to replace these type of lads at the moment and lads like morrissey and conor doyle and crowley will take over the mantle eventually but possibly not just yet. You can see even when Broderick was gone we just dont have a player that demands that type of respect from opposition.

Its been a good journey but lets hope its not over just yet."
Lads, I only attended one game (against Down). Alas, could only listen to the others on the radio.

All I know is we went toe to toe with Laois and Down (who are really Division Two teams) and beat Louth, and should have beaten Westmeath, by all accounts.

Five years ago, when I was home and able to follow Carlow every week, we lost five games in Division Four.

By 19 points to Tipperary.
By 9 points to Leitrim.
By 14 points to Wicklow.
By 14 points to Clare.
By 3 points to Waterford,

That defeat to Tipp was the biggest losing margin any team recorded in the league that year.

In the championship, Meath beat us by 28 points.

Also, the biggest losing margin in that years competition.

And you know what? Most of the current first team were playing then too: Brendan Murphy, Darragh Foley, Dan St Ledger, Paul Broderick, Benny Kavanagh, Ciaran Moran, Barry John Molloy, Eoin Ruth, Conor Lawlor etc.

I think all of those knocking Turlough, and Poacher, would do well to reflect on this for a moment.

What Turlough has done has been phenomenal. End of story.

And who are we going to get instead? A "big name" from outside? We had lots of those over the years, and it got us nowhere.

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 25/03/2019 12:31:25    2175233

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Lads, I only attended one game (against Down). Alas, could only listen to the others on the radio.

All I know is we went toe to toe with Laois and Down (who are really Division Two teams) and beat Louth, and should have beaten Westmeath, by all accounts.

Five years ago, when I was home and able to follow Carlow every week, we lost five games in Division Four.

By 19 points to Tipperary.
By 9 points to Leitrim.
By 14 points to Wicklow.
By 14 points to Clare.
By 3 points to Waterford,

That defeat to Tipp was the biggest losing margin any team recorded in the league that year.

In the championship, Meath beat us by 28 points.

Also, the biggest losing margin in that years competition.

And you know what? Most of the current first team were playing then too: Brendan Murphy, Darragh Foley, Dan St Ledger, Paul Broderick, Benny Kavanagh, Ciaran Moran, Barry John Molloy, Eoin Ruth, Conor Lawlor etc.

I think all of those knocking Turlough, and Poacher, would do well to reflect on this for a moment.

What Turlough has done has been phenomenal. End of story.

And who are we going to get instead? A "big name" from outside? We had lots of those over the years, and it got us nowhere."
Louth and Westmeath are playing next week. The winner goes to Div 2.
We beat one and drew with the other.
As everyone knows and has mentioned we have had no luck. Or no help from officialdom.
Thanks to everyone involved in Carlow football and the supporters for an exciting, competitive campaign. Very impressed.
Keep up the great work. Everyone needs to stick together.

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 25/03/2019 13:01:07    2175245

Link

Nobody is knocking anyone. Remember turlough was there for some horrible beatings also. Bringing in poacher was a master stroke plus seannmurphy switching codes.nevertheless there has been a mindset there over the last few years of sticking with the same 15 even when it's obvious that a couple of them are not delivering. You haven't been at the matches so you're hardly in a position to judge. We haven't always got the rub of the greeñ but the no change regardless attitude hasn't helped. Not starting Crowley yesterday was a disgrace imo.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 309 - 25/03/2019 13:02:02    2175246

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "A few was a mistake on my part. Too broad. No slight on any player, all doing above and beyond and I commend them. I don't like some of our sideline antics by our runner tbh, tactics aside, or player selection aside. Dunno does it do us any favours. Heard there was more unpleasantness at end of match. But possibly lies. Who knows! Still don't like them!"
Unpleasantness LOL. A bit at the end alright but it started with a hurdy gurdy looking Leix supporter confronting the Carlow mentors near the end and it a took bloody long time for a Leix steward to move him on. This incident caused a lot of hot air.

There was also some unpleasantness as you might call it before the throw in when a club man of your own decided to relieve himself up against the end line perimeter. There was controversy about that sort of carry on in our own club championship last year as well. Didn't look good yesterday I have to say, even though I was trying not to look. This incident caused a lot of steam.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 25/03/2019 14:19:06    2175299

Link

I think our players need to forget about looking to the ref and complaining and going down and just play away. It does us no favours and on two occasions players were so busy remonstrating with the ref that Laois were left to tear us apart up the middle. We are playing the 'underdog -- everyone feel sorry for us' card. We need to get on with it. We were not far off Laois yesterday but they had a little more class in full forward line and Quigley. Other than that it was 50-50 and Laois are div 2 next year. We were better than Louth. Down were better than us on the day. We are not far off and we should go straight back up to Div 3 next year. We need to get more out of Sean Murphy. He makes 4 or 5 runs but nothing really comes of it.

anFhrainc (Carlow) - Posts: 59 - 25/03/2019 14:41:20    2175308

Link

Replying To anFhrainc:  "I think our players need to forget about looking to the ref and complaining and going down and just play away. It does us no favours and on two occasions players were so busy remonstrating with the ref that Laois were left to tear us apart up the middle. We are playing the 'underdog -- everyone feel sorry for us' card. We need to get on with it. We were not far off Laois yesterday but they had a little more class in full forward line and Quigley. Other than that it was 50-50 and Laois are div 2 next year. We were better than Louth. Down were better than us on the day. We are not far off and we should go straight back up to Div 3 next year. We need to get more out of Sean Murphy. He makes 4 or 5 runs but nothing really comes of it."
Have to agree on the best use of Choo choo, he has pace and strength to burn, finishing wouldn't be the strongest part of his game so he needs to be linking with inside forwards, having a man on the shoulder for the offload (if the can keep up!) or the old reliable - draw a free... Running into cul de sacs or being turned over is when in possession is not smart football.

Anyway these lads deserve our respect, in my entire life Carlow football has never done anything of note until the last year or so. Our 'success ' was modest, but still no less sweet. These guys need to react positively to yesterday and show the doubters what they are made of.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 25/03/2019 20:48:43    2175409

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Have to agree on the best use of Choo choo, he has pace and strength to burn, finishing wouldn't be the strongest part of his game so he needs to be linking with inside forwards, having a man on the shoulder for the offload (if the can keep up!) or the old reliable - draw a free... Running into cul de sacs or being turned over is when in possession is not smart football.

Anyway these lads deserve our respect, in my entire life Carlow football has never done anything of note until the last year or so. Our 'success ' was modest, but still no less sweet. These guys need to react positively to yesterday and show the doubters what they are made of."
You must have high standards or not be around the block long! Our minors made a Leinster final, our seniors won a b all Ireland, our schools have won all Irelands, there are 6 Leinster club titles in the county, we had men represent their country- just a few things to come to mind in my time and a few more v good days where we came up just short, say like the u21 v Dublin a few years back. Our seniors certainly have risen in the last 2 years and it's been great with some savage days which we are all hugely proud of, and fairplay to all those lads, but it hasn't been all bad when you go down through all grades of the football family here.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2588 - 25/03/2019 21:42:09    2175425

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Have to agree on the best use of Choo choo, he has pace and strength to burn, finishing wouldn't be the strongest part of his game so he needs to be linking with inside forwards, having a man on the shoulder for the offload (if the can keep up!) or the old reliable - draw a free... Running into cul de sacs or being turned over is when in possession is not smart football.

Anyway these lads deserve our respect, in my entire life Carlow football has never done anything of note until the last year or so. Our 'success ' was modest, but still no less sweet. These guys need to react positively to yesterday and show the doubters what they are made of."
Forgot the o'byrne cup!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2588 - 25/03/2019 21:45:46    2175427

Link

We can agree to differ but senior football with the flagship team is where it is at and the subject of the thread. The others you list are way marks to last year - welcome nonetheless. I wouldn't consider a Div 4 runner up spot as symptomatic of high standards, just the hi point of over 4 decades of disappointment.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 25/03/2019 23:46:13    2175460

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "We can agree to differ but senior football with the flagship team is where it is at and the subject of the thread. The others you list are way marks to last year - welcome nonetheless. I wouldn't consider a Div 4 runner up spot as symptomatic of high standards, just the hi point of over 4 decades of disappointment."
I travelled to Portlaoise on Sunday and a few points I would like to make...where was the fans from Carlow ? Very few from Carlow there on Sunday despite improved performances in later games and a big effort to try to motivate fans to travel.
Do we need our maor foirne on the pitch as much ?
Have we subs to come in that can make a difference?
Did Laois again know how to combat our tactics?
Have we learned and adapted enough to make a charge in the championship?
Will any players retire this year ?
Should the management retire after this year ...does the team need a new voice and direction ?

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1492 - 27/03/2019 20:27:00    2175895

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "I travelled to Portlaoise on Sunday and a few points I would like to make...where was the fans from Carlow ? Very few from Carlow there on Sunday despite improved performances in later games and a big effort to try to motivate fans to travel.
Do we need our maor foirne on the pitch as much ?
Have we subs to come in that can make a difference?
Did Laois again know how to combat our tactics?
Have we learned and adapted enough to make a charge in the championship?
Will any players retire this year ?
Should the management retire after this year ...does the team need a new voice and direction ?"
1, I was on the terrace side on Sunday and the majority on there were Carlow - I have being ot a lot of Carlow games and I thought the travelling support was sizable - the roar when we scored the goal was significant
2. That tactic of Poacher on the pitch worked against Kildare - not sure how effective it is now
3. Hard to answer that question when we never use many subs - we have a stronger bench than most think

4. Laois play to there strenghts . Ie Donie Kingston and negating Choo Choo. they are ahead of us in most departments
5. I think the team will give the championship a good crack - we could well shock Meath and even if we dont i could see another good run this year .
6. I think Turlough and Poacher will go after championship but not without future proofing the gains made. A number of players will not be around next year but most will stay on . I think we will stroll Div 4 next year

We are an amazing Gaa County for our size and resources - we need to continue to learn to believe

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 411 - 27/03/2019 21:28:34    2175906

Link

I don't think Turlough will go anywhere... this is the only job he wants.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 280 - 27/03/2019 21:52:24    2175910

Link