Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Best of luck to the Carlow team tomorrow - based on recent performances, while Laois will be favourites, there shouldn't be much in it.I hope the lads keep their dicclipine - Laois will target this as deadball opportunities against a system such as ours are worth a lot. Pig got and Brendan Murphy should be an interesting reunion, hope Brendan has the sense to keep out of it. Also hope the lads keep,their composure as the game progresses and don't get frustrated if things go again them, opportunities will present themselves and to be ready to take them."
We might not be seeing that reunion if some rumours are accurate. Might be one of the 3 extra people in the stand instead.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 24/03/2019 10:13:42    2174640

Link

Best of luck to Carlow today. I was at the match last week, but resisted the urge to post here afterwards. It was what it was: Down were the better team, but Carlow hung in and the referee robbed us. It was especially impressive given our best player wasn't involved.
A similar performance today would probably be enough to get a draw in Portlaoise. Because Leix are not as good as Down.
Carlow owes Leix. It's 31 years of hurt now, in league and championship. And the fact Leix are sprinkled with a host of Carlow men should add extra incentive, with the original Declan Rice in there at corner forward.
Ceatharlach Abú!

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 24/03/2019 10:37:30    2174645

Link

Best of luck to the lads today.

Players Management and supporters deserve a bit of luck and today is the day we need it.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 24/03/2019 11:05:08    2174654

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "We might not be seeing that reunion if some rumours are accurate. Might be one of the 3 extra people in the stand instead."
Heard that myself

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 24/03/2019 11:15:25    2174658

Link

If and it's a big if we play as we did in last few matches then we have a chance alright today. But...we will need all our players to play to their best and a little bit of luck too would be very welcome.
Unsure as to exactly will we have all our players available as rumour has it we may not due to last game and match report.
Laois are a fine team with many great footballers. We will need to attack them and play with composure and try to change tactics we used against them last year. To be fair the tactics have evolved and we are less predictable and that might be the difference.
The hurlers have consistently been able to not just face adversity but get over it and use it to their advantage. Now time for this football team to stand together to get that win.a different challenge for them today. I hope the weight of expectation does not hamper their performance.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1485 - 24/03/2019 11:57:07    2174670

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "We might not be seeing that reunion if some rumours are accurate. Might be one of the 3 extra people in the stand instead."
What s this about? Suspensions?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 24/03/2019 12:06:37    2174672

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Heard that myself"
Subject to appeal to CCC I heard, meaning it wouldnt come into effect until championship. Heard talk of 12 weeks for some lads. No team announced as yet which is late. We'll know soon enough...

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 452 - 24/03/2019 12:15:35    2174673

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "Subject to appeal to CCC I heard, meaning it wouldnt come into effect until championship. Heard talk of 12 weeks for some lads. No team announced as yet which is late. We'll know soon enough..."
Looks like we could be with out Turlough and Poacher for championship

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 403 - 24/03/2019 16:35:23    2174759

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "Subject to appeal to CCC I heard, meaning it wouldnt come into effect until championship. Heard talk of 12 weeks for some lads. No team announced as yet which is late. We'll know soon enough..."
Looks like we could be with out Turlough and Poacher for championship

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 403 - 24/03/2019 16:35:28    2174760

Link

Sad day, to early for the postmortem but the thin line between success and failure never seemed so obvious

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 24/03/2019 17:05:23    2174783

Link

We are short a few and the management have not used our subs properly thru this league. I know we were up against it in practically every game bar Sligo but no lessons were learned as regards selection. Same players not producing yet continually starting. We were unfortunate with Broderick. It has cost us dearly this time with laois going to div2 and us to div4.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 24/03/2019 18:14:07    2174825

Link

Very disappointed, we really don't deserve to go down. I think Crowley should have started, now was the day to change it up abit and have a go at the Laois not go all out but have ago. I would agree about the subs bench not being used more but at the same time management must have some reason for it. Obviously doesn't matter now tho we're back in div 4 next year but at least we know we are good enough to bounce straight back up. I only hope the setup doesn't lose to many, will be hard to see poacher stick around for another year especially in div 4.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 24/03/2019 18:36:38    2174848

Link

Great first 20 minutes today. Players really battled well.

Laois won midfield and have Donie Kingston up front.

Tough on our lads after all that effort but we are good enough to come back up as long as turlough and poacher stay on

carlovia (None) - Posts: 971 - 24/03/2019 18:58:07    2174864

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Very disappointed, we really don't deserve to go down. I think Crowley should have started, now was the day to change it up abit and have a go at the Laois not go all out but have ago. I would agree about the subs bench not being used more but at the same time management must have some reason for it. Obviously doesn't matter now tho we're back in div 4 next year but at least we know we are good enough to bounce straight back up. I only hope the setup doesn't lose to many, will be hard to see poacher stick around for another year especially in div 4."
Fair enough but why is one player in particular always starting when everyone at the games agrees he is not up to it.it not only grates with supporters but it must give a very negative vibe to all the fringe players. It's also imo ,despite all theirsuccess ,a big blot on this management team's copybook.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 24/03/2019 20:03:22    2174917

Link

Not really sure I agree on the subs, I think we have a limited pick, I do think Crowley showed enough to start though, but that's selection choices rather than using the bench right. The late free that wasn't given Vs Westmeath the last two down frees and the three goals from high balls were the decisive factor in the league.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 24/03/2019 20:03:41    2174918

Link

Disappointing today, we kicked a few simple wides in the first half early on which was a let off for Laois especially just after our goal.
Negatives are, next year B kavanagh will be 35. John Murphy & Broderick, will be 34. When ever they go they'll be huge losses, especially Paul, who'll take his place? Hopefully as we're back in div 4 though they might give one last year.
Positive, we will probably be one of the favs to come back up & we're well capable of it. Tipperary have got out of Division 4 twice. Antrim aswell, Limerick. Offaly have bloody got out of it 3 times! So going down, while disappointing, is not the end of the world.
Year is not over, champ still to come & the last two years we have caused ripples here so looking forward to may for both the footballers & hurlers.
On a side note, saw Simon Doyle in the stand today, he should have been togging out today!

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1038 - 24/03/2019 20:48:47    2174953

Link

A disappointing day today when after a good start we just could not strike back after Laois got good scores running up the middle at us in the first half.
The players have their all and little more they could do.
The lads can hold their heads up high and the performance was positive from the start but we did not turn over enough ball in our half back line and Laois were well able to by pass our half back line and get the ball into their inside players and again we were caught napping for Kingstons goal.
Goalie made a great save early in the second half to keep us in it. We fought back with 3 great points from play but could not get that elusive goal.
Laois had the players with Quigley catching 2 or 3 great kick outs and Munnelly had the experience to buzz around and keep Laois moving forward.
A lot of positives from the match today i believe.
Will be really up against it v Meath, but that's another story!
Suspensions seem to be coming but they won't have much effect, except perhaps having the 'runner' off the field more than on it !!!!!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1485 - 24/03/2019 20:52:55    2174959

Link

Some general observations -
we must be one of only a few teams not using 20/21 players in a game - 18 today? We seem to have a lot of lads with a lot of minutes in the legs and does this go against us in games? Also, does this long term send a message to the remaining 16/17 panellists that they are only making up numbers etc? I think this drop might start a few more thoughts in lads heads. In the hurling panel I know it could be said the same of and I think bonnars words after the game about having to leave if they lost the relegation battle was possibly as much about facing into players as much as going down.. We 've built up a lot of goodwill/support etc also along the way outside/inside the county for our "rising " and you d be hoping the actions of a few don't take from it. You d be hoping all you d hear wouldn't be the truth..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 24/03/2019 21:07:25    2174972

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Some general observations -
we must be one of only a few teams not using 20/21 players in a game - 18 today? We seem to have a lot of lads with a lot of minutes in the legs and does this go against us in games? Also, does this long term send a message to the remaining 16/17 panellists that they are only making up numbers etc? I think this drop might start a few more thoughts in lads heads. In the hurling panel I know it could be said the same of and I think bonnars words after the game about having to leave if they lost the relegation battle was possibly as much about facing into players as much as going down.. We 've built up a lot of goodwill/support etc also along the way outside/inside the county for our "rising " and you d be hoping the actions of a few don't take from it. You d be hoping all you d hear wouldn't be the truth.."
What kind of thing are you hearing

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 24/03/2019 22:09:30    2175011

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Disappointing today, we kicked a few simple wides in the first half early on which was a let off for Laois especially just after our goal.
Negatives are, next year B kavanagh will be 35. John Murphy & Broderick, will be 34. When ever they go they'll be huge losses, especially Paul, who'll take his place? Hopefully as we're back in div 4 though they might give one last year.
Positive, we will probably be one of the favs to come back up & we're well capable of it. Tipperary have got out of Division 4 twice. Antrim aswell, Limerick. Offaly have bloody got out of it 3 times! So going down, while disappointing, is not the end of the world.
Year is not over, champ still to come & the last two years we have caused ripples here so looking forward to may for both the footballers & hurlers.
On a side note, saw Simon Doyle in the stand today, he should have been togging out today!"
Just heard that Simon Doyle is away on peace keeping duties so best of luck to him

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1038 - 24/03/2019 22:15:44    2175017

Link