Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Being at the game on Sunday day I would worry that if the referee fills in what happened then we could have one person looking at a suspension.

When we got the levelling point most believed the ref would blow it up but when I thought about why he didn't it struck me that Sean Gannon took a long time to recover from a bad tackle and that was why the ref added more time than we thought he would add.

Wanting the match to be over is one thing but the referee probably believed that more time was due to be played.

There has been a lot of talk about Carlow being robbed etc by the referee and one could think that there is a persecution complex around the team given the comments on not just this match but other close games as well.

Down were a far better team than we were and yet when one long ball was kicked in we got the goal which brought about huge expectation of a draw or even a win ! That expectation heightened and when we got the free and D Walsh scored the referee became the focus of attention.

A few days after the match now and I hope the focus is on Laois and not on the referee.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1492 - 18/03/2019 15:33:50    2173420

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Being at the game on Sunday day I would worry that if the referee fills in what happened then we could have one person looking at a suspension.

When we got the levelling point most believed the ref would blow it up but when I thought about why he didn't it struck me that Sean Gannon took a long time to recover from a bad tackle and that was why the ref added more time than we thought he would add.

Wanting the match to be over is one thing but the referee probably believed that more time was due to be played.

There has been a lot of talk about Carlow being robbed etc by the referee and one could think that there is a persecution complex around the team given the comments on not just this match but other close games as well.

Down were a far better team than we were and yet when one long ball was kicked in we got the goal which brought about huge expectation of a draw or even a win ! That expectation heightened and when we got the free and D Walsh scored the referee became the focus of attention.

A few days after the match now and I hope the focus is on Laois and not on the referee."
Don't know about that. Respect your views up to a point but in all fairness that ref was an absolute shambles. 17 yellow cards in total? Most of the frees that were awarded were a joke. Sometimes a ref is funny or has a set about something in particular, like an arm in over the shoulder or a hand pass, steps or something, but this fellow was just consistently extraordinary

To say that Down were that far ahead/superior? Testimony to Carlow, they never allowed Down to pull away even after their strong opening start to the second half; and as you say Carlow were back on parity after using just one long ball into the FF line/box. The steel to re level again in added time too. A draw was the fairest result to me on Saturday beyond doubt.

Onwards to Laois but no, it shouldn't be going down to that game.

No wonder Sean Gannon took so long to get back up. He was pole axed and yet that man got only a second yellow? Why blow it up and skulk off towards the tunnel when we were still in front of goal and the ball was in play

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 452 - 18/03/2019 20:17:47    2173499

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "Don't know about that. Respect your views up to a point but in all fairness that ref was an absolute shambles. 17 yellow cards in total? Most of the frees that were awarded were a joke. Sometimes a ref is funny or has a set about something in particular, like an arm in over the shoulder or a hand pass, steps or something, but this fellow was just consistently extraordinary

To say that Down were that far ahead/superior? Testimony to Carlow, they never allowed Down to pull away even after their strong opening start to the second half; and as you say Carlow were back on parity after using just one long ball into the FF line/box. The steel to re level again in added time too. A draw was the fairest result to me on Saturday beyond doubt.

Onwards to Laois but no, it shouldn't be going down to that game.

No wonder Sean Gannon took so long to get back up. He was pole axed and yet that man got only a second yellow? Why blow it up and skulk off towards the tunnel when we were still in front of goal and the ball was in play"
The focus now is Portlaois
I have planned this this trip from UK at beginning of season
I don't think Sligo will beat Offaly or draw with them.
But we are well capable of beating Laois
I for one am really looking forward to it

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 411 - 19/03/2019 09:17:34    2173606

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "The focus now is Portlaois
I have planned this this trip from UK at beginning of season
I don't think Sligo will beat Offaly or draw with them.
But we are well capable of beating Laois
I for one am really looking forward to it"
I didn't think it would come to the final game at the start of the league to decide our fate, but goin up against our biggest rival with us fighting for our life and Laois still not out of the promotion mix it should be a real championship atmosphereand a challenge and that you would imagine will refocus the group. This is now the biggest game in a number of years, We owe Laois one

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 19/03/2019 10:30:59    2173628

Link

Any news on potential suspensions from after the game?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 19/03/2019 10:34:12    2173629

Link

Lets hope the management now use the situation we are in - staring at relegation and the controversial outcome of the Down match to focus the team for Sunday. Let us not get drawn into distractions about managers suspensions etc, hard luck stories.

Look no further than the hurlers who had a mountain to climb a week ago and they did it. Stick it to Laois on Sunday, its not to derail their promotion chances - but that Carlow group have worked so hard to get from Div 3 they should leave absolutely nothing on the field. It will be totally in our hands as Sligo will not beat Offaly. We are capable of doing it and in the final analysis a draw might work for both sides.

Does anyone know bout injuries etc and who might be coming back ?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 19/03/2019 12:35:19    2173673

Link

Caption this? (shane redmond picture) .. https://twitter.com/mungo4/status/1107741028927369216/

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 19/03/2019 19:40:45    2173789

Link

Think our only hope on Sunday is to get this team,injuries permitting ,on the field.
Samson Crowley Redmond Lawler
Kavanagh LEDGER Moran
Ruth Sean Murphy
Morrissey Gannon Foley
Crowley B Murphy Broderick

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 309 - 19/03/2019 19:57:50    2173795

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Think our only hope on Sunday is to get this team,injuries permitting ,on the field.
Samson Crowley Redmond Lawler
Kavanagh LEDGER Moran
Ruth Sean Murphy
Morrissey Gannon Foley
Crowley B Murphy Broderick"
Hogg,

Sounds like a desperate situation.

Our ONLY hope is getting that team out.

Come on, we've a bit more to us than that!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 19/03/2019 22:45:47    2173825

Link

We have it all to do now, if we go out with the right attitude on Sunday we have a great chance of survival, don't let who we are playing get into our heads it's just another game like any other, I think last year we got it into our heads we couldn't beat them. On the injury front I hear Lee walker is out for the season

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1252 - 20/03/2019 10:11:15    2173871

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Hogg,

Sounds like a desperate situation.

Our ONLY hope is getting that team out.

Come on, we've a bit more to us than that!"
Think you know what I meant. Don't be so pedantic .anyway best of luck to the lads.we haven't had much in this campaign.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 309 - 20/03/2019 21:22:07    2174059

Link

Is Paul Broderick for for Sunday? I assume there was no suspensions from after the Down game or we would have herd by now.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 22/03/2019 09:36:57    2174318

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Is Paul Broderick for for Sunday? I assume there was no suspensions from after the Down game or we would have herd by now."
Must be safe by now? They would have to be told early in the week

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 22/03/2019 10:30:47    2174328

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "Must be safe by now? They would have to be told early in the week"
I'd say the ref knew better than to draw further attention to himself by reporting anyone. That in itself is telling. A guilty conscience and all that ...

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 22/03/2019 12:22:27    2174344

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Being at the game on Sunday day I would worry that if the referee fills in what happened then we could have one person looking at a suspension.

A few days after the match now and I hope the focus is on Laois and not on the referee."
In most if not all gaelic games the more established / successful counties will almost always get the benefit of the doubt and the tight calls to favour them, the Carlow / Down game fitted into that category. It's my understanding that at the end of the official extra time that's added, it's then at the referees discression what added time (if any) he plays, either way in this case there would be no winner.
Another example of favoured calls, - if we cast our minds back to the All Ireland club final of 1993, Eire Og (Carlow )v O'Donovan Rossa (Cork) which ended in a draw, Rossa's equalising point was fiercely disputed after Garvan Ware was pushed to the ground and went unpunished.
The replay in Limerick was played in appalling conditions and was even more controversial than the drawn game. Again we suffered. A late goal by Darren Moore was deemed a square ball though an almost identical goal was allowed against us earlier. It was a bitter defeat on a score line of 0-8 to 1-7. The fall out from controversial results is what brings us back for more punishment, and that's how it is.
Just thinking, didn't Carlow hurlers pull out all the stops against all the odds and qualify for the top flight next year at the expense of what was once a great all Ireland winning Offaly team.
May be, just maybe the Carlow footballers can shred the script that's stacked against them and repeat the hurlers performance, with victory, even by a point.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 22/03/2019 17:05:59    2174405

Link

Let's focus on the performance Sunday not the ref.

Team has played well the last two matches since the Longford match.

If we are good enough for division 3, we should be good enough to get a result Sunday.

Carlow to win by 2.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 988 - 22/03/2019 19:18:10    2174425

Link

I m wondering will we have a few extra bodies in the stand tomorrow..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2588 - 23/03/2019 20:57:33    2174578

Link

Best of luck to the Carlow team tomorrow - based on recent performances, while Laois will be favourites, there shouldn't be much in it.I hope the lads keep their dicclipine - Laois will target this as deadball opportunities against a system such as ours are worth a lot. Pig got and Brendan Murphy should be an interesting reunion, hope Brendan has the sense to keep out of it. Also hope the lads keep,their composure as the game progresses and don't get frustrated if things go again them, opportunities will present themselves and to be ready to take them.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 23/03/2019 22:41:19    2174599

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "I m wondering will we have a few extra bodies in the stand tomorrow.."
Possibly

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1252 - 23/03/2019 23:08:05    2174600

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Possibly"
We need a secret handshake on here..!!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2588 - 24/03/2019 08:25:54    2174622

Link