Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Very hard to take that result. The players can be proud of the the effort today. Only one thing was against us and that was the referee. Unbelievable some of the calls he made, Downs number 2 only getting and 2nd yellow was unbelievable. It really did seem that the referee did not want Carlow to win. It's still in our hands and if we avoid defeat against Laois we will stay up. It will be very hard to take if we go down after some of the games especially today and the result against Westmeath. We need o try move on now and focus on Laois of we could get something there we are safe, Sligo at home against Offaly might not be a straight forward either. What Ever happens we should be proud of the players/mangement for the effort and commitment. On a side note I hope T.obrien won't be suspend for too long after confronting the referee. Would be hard to blame home tho, it's unbelievable the calls he made

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 16/03/2019 17:55:18    2172675

Link

Shafted. Blood pressure not right. No justice.
Between this and the ending in Mullingar we aren't getting a fair twist here.

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 16/03/2019 18:00:24    2172678

Link

Robbed

carlovia (None) - Posts: 971 - 16/03/2019 18:37:23    2172702

Link

Feel sick after that, really feel cheated out of a result

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 16/03/2019 19:18:36    2172728

Link

We did not win enough ball in midfield especially in the second half which meant we were starved of possession to score. Faur play to Ruth for scoring that goal. Incredible that the one high ball delivered in resulted in that goal.
Many will feel we were ribbed but Down owned the ball for long periods.
Will be very interesting to see what the referee reports.
Massive efforts put in by the players. Not our of it yet. Laois match is now the big one.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1485 - 16/03/2019 19:23:56    2172732

Link

Sick after today, all we needed was a point & we were safe & now it all depends on Laois, the one team I do not feel confident about beating. Was thinking about it recently, they beat us 3 times last year & I don't think we even led once in any of those games. Every other team can beat them but we can't, louth this year being a prime example. I hope we get something out of next week but if there was one team I would hate to see relegate us it would be Laois after denying us table top/league final/Leinster final place last year. Of course it will all be irrelevant if Sligo beat Offaly next week but that would be an upset too I suppose. Here's hoping though we have one big performance on Sunday. Amazing the difference one single point can make though eh, huge.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1038 - 16/03/2019 19:48:41    2172741

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "We did not win enough ball in midfield especially in the second half which meant we were starved of possession to score. Faur play to Ruth for scoring that goal. Incredible that the one high ball delivered in resulted in that goal.
Many will feel we were ribbed but Down owned the ball for long periods.
Will be very interesting to see what the referee reports.
Massive efforts put in by the players. Not our of it yet. Laois match is now the big one."
I was there today ,and Carlow did put up a gallant fist of it, but to be honest how Carlow were still in the game is beyond me as we made a mess of two fantastic goal chances, and owned the ball for long periods It wasent a dirty game by any stretch of the imagenation , bar 1 head high tackle at the end , And yes interesting to see ref report as Carlow management did seem to man handle him at final whistle

germac (Down) - Posts: 245 - 16/03/2019 20:33:55    2172761

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Very hard to take that result. The players can be proud of the the effort today. Only one thing was against us and that was the referee. Unbelievable some of the calls he made, Downs number 2 only getting and 2nd yellow was unbelievable. It really did seem that the referee did not want Carlow to win. It's still in our hands and if we avoid defeat against Laois we will stay up. It will be very hard to take if we go down after some of the games especially today and the result against Westmeath. We need o try move on now and focus on Laois of we could get something there we are safe, Sligo at home against Offaly might not be a straight forward either. What Ever happens we should be proud of the players/mangement for the effort and commitment. On a side note I hope T.obrien won't be suspend for too long after confronting the referee. Would be hard to blame home tho, it's unbelievable the calls he made"
Who was the ref?

Matthew (None) - Posts: 896 - 16/03/2019 21:19:09    2172799

Link

Sickening.

Reminds me of the time we were robbed at the very end in Offaly a few years ago. Turlo got a long suspension as a result and I fear the same now. If it's any consolation we can at least rest assured that ref will never ever be allowed ref another game, aren't I right? There is an assessor there after all. That must mean he's never given another game. It has to. Otherwise the process is pointless. County board need to ensure that's followed up on but say and do nothing between now and next Sunday as the focus needs to be all on Leix. Hurlers have shown the way to respond to disappointment so hopefully the players will respond to this the right way and will take it out on Leix.

I was expecting Paul Broderick to feature today. Anyone know if he has any chance of playing next week?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 16/03/2019 21:21:44    2172801

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Sickening.

Reminds me of the time we were robbed at the very end in Offaly a few years ago. Turlo got a long suspension as a result and I fear the same now. If it's any consolation we can at least rest assured that ref will never ever be allowed ref another game, aren't I right? There is an assessor there after all. That must mean he's never given another game. It has to. Otherwise the process is pointless. County board need to ensure that's followed up on but say and do nothing between now and next Sunday as the focus needs to be all on Leix. Hurlers have shown the way to respond to disappointment so hopefully the players will respond to this the right way and will take it out on Leix.

I was expecting Paul Broderick to feature today. Anyone know if he has any chance of playing next week?"
If his performance was been watched yesterday and he does get more games well then that just sums up the GAA and the view of Carlow, he has no place refereeing a game. I hope the county board of follow up and make a complaint.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 142 - 17/03/2019 09:20:40    2172938

Link

That was a sickener. Really thought we did enough to get the draw. It probably wasn't our best performance of the year but given the opposition and missing Broderick the lads probably did as much as they could have.
It's very frustrating when you're dealing with decisions that are so baffling. I genuinely don't know what more defenders can do other than stand a forward up and put their hands out and surround him. And that happened 3/4 times in the game where they got frees. That's 3/4 scores which is huge in the conditions. All is not lost. We now know we are as good as anyone in the division. On to Leix we go

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 17/03/2019 10:24:36    2172955

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "That was a sickener. Really thought we did enough to get the draw. It probably wasn't our best performance of the year but given the opposition and missing Broderick the lads probably did as much as they could have.
It's very frustrating when you're dealing with decisions that are so baffling. I genuinely don't know what more defenders can do other than stand a forward up and put their hands out and surround him. And that happened 3/4 times in the game where they got frees. That's 3/4 scores which is huge in the conditions. All is not lost. We now know we are as good as anyone in the division. On to Leix we go"
Strange how you failed to mention , the 5 frees Carlow got in the first half for our defenders doing the same thing , Baffling indeed

germac (Down) - Posts: 245 - 17/03/2019 14:44:17    2173049

Link

Replying To germac:  "Strange how you failed to mention , the 5 frees Carlow got in the first half for our defenders doing the same thing , Baffling indeed"
Given the distribution of yellow cards, how Down only got second yellows for clothes line tackles; and had only two sent off when the impact was meaningless in terms of timing is truly baffling Ger Mac.

How there wasn't a free in at the very end was truly baffling Ger MAC.

Downs last free in before that, for an aleged push in the back was truly baffling Ger Mac.

That Young Johnston that came on a sub and went down holding his jaw when there was an arm at most across his belly was truly baffling.

The game being blown up after a blatant foul whilst the the ball was actively still in play in front of goals was truly baffling too

In fact, the worst referring I've ever seen in Dr Cullen since the red and yellow card fiasco in 97 or 98.

Truly baffling indeed

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 452 - 17/03/2019 18:13:36    2173153

Link

Hogan stand won't allow me post mY full opinion, I see big band coming after last night, some of the abusu of the terrace last night and in other games is not the kind of talk I'd like to have myself associated with, disgusting stuff

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 17/03/2019 23:53:08    2173283

Link

Such a frustrating end to that game yesterday. Couldn't post after it as I was too annoyed. Those 4 turned into 7 minutes of injury time were cruel. Down went ahead fair enough, then Sean Gannon almost got decapitated by a Down back. Somehow that was only worthy of a 2nd yellow by the useless ref, was the most obvious straight red you will ever see.
Scored the free, then everybody presumed that was that, a draw game everyone is happy enough. 5 mins over, would have made sense.
Oh no, play on and from good crowding around the Down player, ref somehow gives a free in. They go ahead. Ref is already heading for the tunnel without the ball when he blows final whistle. Not sure what happened then as we were in the stand, so hard to see. Turlough made a beeline for him and maybe players too. Hopefully nobody gets suspended because of it.

Referee was the worst I have seen in any club or county game. So many high tackles, Sean Gannon got taken out so many times. He gave frees for nothing, then let other worse stuff go. Bizarre, will be interesting to see if he refs a game next week.

Overall Down were by far the better side, we were lucky to still be anywhere near them heading into those 7 minutes. We lost that game in the first 20 minutes by being so defensive with the wind. We should have pushed up, and attacked them from the off. It took about 20 minutes for us to do that and then we scored 6 points in a row from it!
2nd half Down got 4 in about 5 minutes by pushing up and doing exactly what we should have been doing.
Down missed 2 absolute sitters of goals, and had about 80% possession, totally controlled the game and were by far the best side i've seen in this div.
Saying that we sent in 2 high balls to Brendan Murphy all game, 1st one we stuck over the bar, 2nd one broke down for Ruth to get the goal. A plan B is there, just needs to be used more often.

The subs yet again, didn't help much apart from Walshe with the free taking. What has Lunney done wrong since 2 motm displays in O'Byrne Cup not to get a minute in the league so far??

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 18/03/2019 00:52:37    2173290

Link

Swings and roundabouts regarding referees. In game v Louth Carlow had the ref in their pocket, getting frees for smallest of contact but Louth couldn't buy a free. Carlow man diving to the ground after handbags incident like he was hit with Thor's hammer. I sat behind Carlow subs and they were constantly shouting to the forwards to go down with any touch. Physio being shouted at to go on every 2 mins to disrupt play. Very cynical and disheartening carry on.
The footage on line regarding b Down with the ref being approached following the "baffling" failure to give a free in to Carlow clearly show the Carlow man throwing himself to the ground. This ref was obviously no idiot.
In saying all that, I do hope Carlow remain in Div 3 as it took long enough to get there.

ged (Louth) - Posts: 291 - 18/03/2019 10:58:50    2173346

Link

Wasn't at the match, so cannot comment about other decisions, time etc etc but looking at the video clip of the last few seconds - no free for Sean as I can't see contact. Was at the louth game alright and thought we got the rub of the green alright in terms of decisions. Such is life. Not great scenes at the end and possibly looking at some touchline bans for last game v laois. Sligo will be no push over for offaly and we 'll rattle laois you d hope. Still wonder what our game plan is/Will be when we need to chase a game..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 18/03/2019 11:56:40    2173363

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Wasn't at the match, so cannot comment about other decisions, time etc etc but looking at the video clip of the last few seconds - no free for Sean as I can't see contact. Was at the louth game alright and thought we got the rub of the green alright in terms of decisions. Such is life. Not great scenes at the end and possibly looking at some touchline bans for last game v laois. Sligo will be no push over for offaly and we 'll rattle laois you d hope. Still wonder what our game plan is/Will be when we need to chase a game.."
Fair comment.we were blessed against Louth.We got several of the 50/50 calls and he brought the ball forward into unmissable positions 3 times.We seem to be unable to take our beating without lashing out at ref,officials etc. By all accounts Down were by far the better team so it's our own game plan that is the real problem.We seem to revert to type when we need instead to push up ànd attack. Lost the westmeath game and the longford game thru this folly.I feel sorry for the players who are giving their all and yet are staring relegation in the face. Let's hope we avoid it.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 18/03/2019 13:23:34    2173387

Link

In fairness I don't think anyone is debating the final decision. Wasn't a free but the play should have been let continue until the attack finished. But I think people are mainly angry with the free granted to down after Walsh got the equalizing point.

On the other side I think I saw a plan b and the fact they had to chase the game from 4 down I think at one stage to get level by putting a long ball or two inside shows they are trying to work on something

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 154 - 18/03/2019 13:28:19    2173390

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "In fairness I don't think anyone is debating the final decision. Wasn't a free but the play should have been let continue until the attack finished. But I think people are mainly angry with the free granted to down after Walsh got the equalizing point.

On the other side I think I saw a plan b and the fact they had to chase the game from 4 down I think at one stage to get level by putting a long ball or two inside shows they are trying to work on something"
Devils advocate - people were complaining about the added on time/going over it (Not you!), would this not be a case of 2 wrongs done make a right if he let the game continue??
Plan b - great to hear it as we badly need it. Couldn't beat laois from 3 attempts last year - I know we hadn't b Murphy, but we need something alright to unlock better teams. I d have him in there all day, as we rarely go long with a kick out and as we tend to retreat on the opposition kick out, they normally go short as they have plenty of bodies, so is it a "waste" to have such a big fielder of the ball out around the middle?? Dunno! Anyhow, we aren't down yet so keep her lit for the week lads.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2581 - 18/03/2019 14:21:46    2173404

Link