Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Much better discipline tonight, some starting changes helped, when we went at them directly felt we were dangerous. B Murphy was immense in the first half, also Gannon, Moran, choo choo, Crowley and walker caught the eye. We have no natural forward apart from Broderick' so there will always be a struggle to get the scores. Any way well done to the lads in what was a hugely enjoyable match and outcome was in the mix to the end with a vocal crowd roaring on both teams.

My analysis is we are now ahead of Longford and Offaly on the table - both still to play Sligo and likely to pick up both points there as they seem to have imploded. That will mean unless we pick anything else up Longford will overtake us to at least 7 and Offaly who still are to play Leix (would expect Laois on form to account for them) tie with us. Scoring difference is currently in our favour vs Offaly, but if we' picked up a point from either Down / Leix we should be safe with the Faithful and Yeats men possibly relegated. You wouldn't want scoring difference to be the determinant as we could be in bother there. Still a big ask

Anyway tabletopping Down in NCP on Patrick's weekend, with a passionate Poacher on the line opposing his native county to look forward to. John Murphy back from injury tonight, anyone any insight on Broderick.?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 451 - 02/03/2019 23:13:23    2169560

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Much better discipline tonight, some starting changes helped, when we went at them directly felt we were dangerous. B Murphy was immense in the first half, also Gannon, Moran, choo choo, Crowley and walker caught the eye. We have no natural forward apart from Broderick' so there will always be a struggle to get the scores. Any way well done to the lads in what was a hugely enjoyable match and outcome was in the mix to the end with a vocal crowd roaring on both teams.

My analysis is we are now ahead of Longford and Offaly on the table - both still to play Sligo and likely to pick up both points there as they seem to have imploded. That will mean unless we pick anything else up Longford will overtake us to at least 7 and Offaly who still are to play Leix (would expect Laois on form to account for them) tie with us. Scoring difference is currently in our favour vs Offaly, but if we' picked up a point from either Down / Leix we should be safe with the Faithful and Yeats men possibly relegated. You wouldn't want scoring difference to be the determinant as we could be in bother there. Still a big ask

Anyway tabletopping Down in NCP on Patrick's weekend, with a passionate Poacher on the line opposing his native county to look forward to. John Murphy back from injury tonight, anyone any insight on Broderick.?"
Delighted and very surprised with that win tonite. Great heart and effort compared to last 2 games.playing more offensive game from the start. The changes made helped a lot.crowley was a handful all night winning lots of ball and generally disrupting the Louth defence. He tired a bit in second half understandable as it's his first ever league start.Gannon was back to his best and he makes such a difference,pkaying him in the centre helps his game big time. Backs defended very well but I still think we are putting too much pressure on them by not pressing the kickouts. We rode our luck a small bit tonight and should have stretched away when 2nd man was sent off ,nerves probably the cause here. Good night's work but probably still need another win to survive. Very competitive division .well done to all

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 03/03/2019 00:12:38    2169579

Link

I think it's head to head if 2 teams on same points?? On that basis think we need at least another point to survive as I think Offaly will beat Sligo. Only score difference if more than 2 teams on equal points.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 03/03/2019 00:31:51    2169581

Link

Replying To hogg:  "I think it's head to head if 2 teams on same points?? On that basis think we need at least another point to survive as I think Offaly will beat Sligo. Only score difference if more than 2 teams on equal points."
That's correct. We definitely need at least one more point as Offaly will surely beat Sligo on last day.

Getting that one point will be tough though. Both Down and Leix will have everything to play for. All to play for at least.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1148 - 03/03/2019 10:44:45    2169639

Link

Much more positive approach proved the difference last night. About time that the players were trusted to - have a go- and attack with pace instead of the back and forward and back again sterile play of recent games.
Lee Walker especially passed brilliantly once or twice and took on his man...Sean Gannon also and this created scores. That is what football is about and it's about time that the system changed. A little worrying that we still do not push up on kick outs...understandable however when we had Brendan in sin bin.
I am not convinced that Paul is our only forward...Jordan Morrissey and Sean Gannon and Ciaran Moran and Lee Walker are all very capable and effective forwards IF played in a forward position.
The discipline was definitely lacking in Louth and we punished that very well.
Some foolish over exuberant tackling brought Louth closer to us in last few minutes but the system last night was much more positive and yielded a well deserved win.
This win should now provide the template for the year. It has to be be more enjoyable too for the players.
The crowd got into it too - which is a very welcome change.
Big well done to all involved. Great to see John Murphy getting back...hope Lee Walker is ok and hope also that Paul Broderick is on the mend and looks like we have a few positional headaches for the selectors...the way it should be !

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1486 - 03/03/2019 10:48:26    2169640

Link

Great win. Made it tough but better team. Ref was awful for them in fairness. But still. Important 2 points. Changes in positions worked well. Unreal atmosphere in the stand. As good as I've been at.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 03/03/2019 11:33:58    2169648

Link

First chance I got to see the footballers since the O'Byrne Cup game against Offaly. There was a desire to run at Louth and take on their men especially by Sean Gannon, Lee Walker Brendan Murphy, Sean Murphy and Conor Crowley. It's definitely worth sticking with the young Pal man as he will improve each game.

The early goal was crucial and it was well finished by Gannon, he showed great composure. That allowed us to keep that point or two ahead. Great to get the win without Broderick and will give the players belief for the last two games. Great to see their passion as well last night.

There will always be things to work on, we gave away the ball at times when we were trying to break on the counter. Our press on the kick outs did not work at all, the only thing was it slowed Louth down a small bit allowing us to get our shape defensively.

I was impressed with the way Louth set up, yes they got numbers back but when we were building out attack around the half back line they pressed up and tried to turn us over in midfield. We dealt with this well most of the time helped by our composure when on the ball. Louth also attacked with huge numbers which did allow us to hit them on the break.

A good performance overall with decent showings from Sean Gannon, Brendan Murphy, Sean Murphy, Lee Walker and Eoghan Ruth.

Saturday night games are a great spectacle which makes it disappointing that the Down game is on at 3pm on Saturday 16 March.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1808 - 03/03/2019 11:44:48    2169652

Link

Certainly a much better approach .... and a new dimension with young Crowley in front of his man everytime winning his own ball on numerous occasions - a mixture of pace and skill.
Very good performances around the field but Gannon, Brendan and Sean Murphy were outstanding.
i know we won by a point but we could have been well ahead at HT and also missed Broderick for the frees in the 1st half.

Can't wait for the Down game.....2 weeks to recover and hopefully the other injuries will have cleared.
Poacher will be relishing the Down challenge also and will have detailed knowledge of all Down players.

Special mention for Sansom in goal - seems v comfortable under the high ball. This cost us dearly in both games against Westmeath and Longford.

Now off to NCP to see the hurlers hopefully qualifying for the Q. Finals. It will be hell for leather today - Offaly are a wounded animal.

Ceatharlach abú

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 03/03/2019 11:53:25    2169653

Link

Thank you for the congratulatory messages from Carlow GAA on Leitrim's promotion - referenced as "your old sparring partners in Carlow"!

Wish to re-iterate that message in Carlow's wiah to be playing Leitrim in Division 3. Really hope you stay up and we get to play you - we've had too many Division 4 clashes.

Look out for your results, and kind of fly the flag for Carlow, Wicklow and Waterford as the 4 of us have been almost ever-present this last decade in Division 4. You guys have made great progress last couple of years, staying in Div 3 would be another step forward / consolidation.

All the best - and by the way, I wouldn't rule out Sligo playing at home to Offaly - they are gone, pressure off and there could be a bit of a backlash.

Solo Run (None) - Posts: 313 - 03/03/2019 20:46:39    2169878

Link

Much improved performance last night, at least in the 1st half anyway. Crowley was a great addition and has to start from now on. He was out in front of his man every time, and was an option every time. Apart from the great goal chance he blasted wide, was very impressive. Hopefully we will have Broderick back for the Down game, and he could play off him.

Nice to see us push up on a few of the Louth kick outs too and we put them under pressure at times. The black card for Brendan pushed us back but was more than happy at ht. Sean Gannon took his goal so well, and as has been said is so much more suited to playing at chf or anywhere central.

2nd half, I was impressed by Louth they looked a good side and if their discipline had been better could well have got at least a draw from it. I think we sat back a bit too much again in 2nd half, especially when we were a man & then 2 up.

Not often we get to say it, but I thought the ref was very harsh on them a few times and certainly didn't harm our chances at all. Then again we were owed something like that after the last minute free not given to us that would have won us the game in Westmeath.

As it stands, we will need to get a point or 2 to stay up. At least it's in our hands now. Signs are good, that we are learning as we go, played with 2 inside forwards most of the time, and pushed up on some of the kick outs. Like the new keeper too, he is a presence and dealt very well with a few high balls in. Great kick out on him too.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 04/03/2019 00:31:51    2169953

Link

There are so many ways this league could still go, aside from down I think anyone of the other 6 teams could still be relegated and all bar Offaly and Sligo could in theory still be promoted. Louth Vs Westmeath and Carlow Vs down laois Vs Offaly and Longford Vs Sligo. If any of those games go against the favourites then we are in for one exciting last day, we need Broderick back as small margins will decide this for us a missed free could be the difference

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 04/03/2019 11:24:52    2170039

Link

Down are favourites to beat Carlow on 16th which suits us fine.
Carlow are attacking a lot more if the Louth game is anything to go by. We can go into that game now with confidence.
Remember Down lost their 1st game at home to Laois and only beat Sligo 1.12 to 1.10 in the 5th minute of injury time with a last gasp goal.
So looking forward to it and i believe Broderick is 100%

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 07/03/2019 14:24:10    2170866

Link

A draw would make us safe. A win would keep us in promotion hunt.
Very impressed last week, more of same again please.
Mad competitive division, very interesting every week. Would love us to stay in this world.
Hope the crowd get behind the lads again. Good luck men.

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 121 - 08/03/2019 20:32:40    2171147

Link

Good point about staying in 3.it Would be brilliant. It creates such a buzz right up until the last day no matter what. How many years has the league been over after a loss or two in 4. Would be a crucial point if we got it. Really exciting times

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 08/03/2019 22:25:05    2171166

Link

Best of luck to the team today, huge game like all others in this division but this game will tell us what we are fighting for survival or promotion hopefully the latter.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 16/03/2019 12:23:29    2172575

Link

Massive game, hopefully we get a huge crowd up to support the team.
Also hoping that the team named isn't going to be the one starting. No Broderick and a change in goal too are not what I wanted to see.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1100 - 16/03/2019 13:13:57    2172591

Link

Best of luck to the lads today.

Well capable of pulling off the win.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 16/03/2019 14:12:43    2172603

Link

Couldn't make it today. Thought they were going to do it after the goal. What happened?did that team start?was brod playing?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 290 - 16/03/2019 16:54:01    2172640

Link

In definite bother now o Moore park won't be handy to go looking for a point esp,when Laois need a win to be guaranteed promotion

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 451 - 16/03/2019 17:30:20    2172662

Link

blood.pressure off the scale after that.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1241 - 16/03/2019 17:49:31    2172671

Link