Carlow Forum

Hurlers 2018 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Blackbogger:  "So, if we beat Westmeath we'll play Limerick. Lose and we play Wexford, is that it?"
That's the story. But win and we go to the leinster round robin next year with gal, kk, dub and wex.

That's the real prize.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 983 - 18/06/2018 19:32:16    2112802

Link

Looking at the fixture list, there's only a 6 or 7 day turn around post the Joe MacDonagh final.

It's great to be getting a shot in the AIl Ireland series proper this year, but what's sort of being given with the one hand, is being taken back by the other; by having the game so soon.

2 weeks wouldn't have been unreasonable, but there's a rush to get the All Ireland final played in August this year.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 452 - 19/06/2018 11:47:53    2113007

Link

Huge game on Sunday.

We should get a big crowd up there and big reward at stake.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 983 - 26/06/2018 11:33:36    2115265

Link

Fantastic win for the hurlers again today. They seem to be improving with every game. Well done to all concerned.

Roll on Limerick at the NCP!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 01/07/2018 16:48:23    2117252

Link

Hopefully they ll get the recognition they deserve. Have won their league and championship this year and continually punch above their weight - we ve now just 4 senior clubs. Some going.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2582 - 01/07/2018 17:59:28    2117291

Link

What a performance from 1-15 today. After the first 15 minutes we were much the better team. Full back line brilliant and very tight giving Westmeath forward line no chance.

Brian Tracey made important saves and excellent under high ball and puckouts. Half back line solid and cleaned everything in second half. What a warrior David english is to play through pain barrier.

Midfield won every dirty ball going and used possession so well. Eddie Byrne won every ball in the first half and John Michael every ball in the second. Paul Coady scored 0-4 from play and picked up so much loose ball.

Full forward line were unplayable. Denis Murphy never missed a dead ball while James Doyle could not even be double marked. Chris Nolan was my man of the match with 1-4 from play and was so sharp.

Well done to the management team.

Should be a huge crowd next weekend and let's give Limerick a rattle.

Carlow rising

carlovia (None) - Posts: 983 - 01/07/2018 21:53:19    2117419

Link

Hats off to these men, league promotion & title, All Irl series title and promotion to the Leinster senior. Amazing off such a tiny pick. Hope they get a good support next Sunday as in around Carlow town their exploits are unheralded (pity there is no one from CTHC involved but such is the situation there)

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 02/07/2018 10:04:04    2117542

Link

Absolutely terrific display from the whole panel yesterday from 1- 15 to all the subs to the management and physio's etc Inspirational stuff from the defence who time after time put in huge energy sapping work to put Westmeath under pressure...the midfield worked beyond fatigue to give great ball into the corners where we were just unbeatable... John Michael and Edward gave exhibitions of high catching but also made these possessions turn into valuable scores...one of the great Carlow hurling performances not just this year but if any that have gone before... Fantastic display that never faltered or waned from start to finish and great scenes of celebration at the end !
Top ten hurling next year !!! Incredible. Hurling at it's best.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 02/07/2018 10:09:37    2117548

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Hopefully they ll get the recognition they deserve. Have won their league and championship this year and continually punch above their weight - we ve now just 4 senior clubs. Some going."
Congratulations to the hurlers. If any team, in any sport, in Ireland punches above their weight, it's them.

But what's this about four senior clubs? The county website still lists six and I see the IHC has already started?

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 02/07/2018 10:56:35    2117573

Link

Replying To TAFKAN01FAN:  "Congratulations to the hurlers. If any team, in any sport, in Ireland punches above their weight, it's them.

But what's this about four senior clubs? The county website still lists six and I see the IHC has already started?"
Yeah, both n brid and Erin's own have applied/been granted permission to return to intermediate for various reasons. Meeting tonight to sort out format and dates for the remaining 4 teams. Pal also granted permission to return to junior ranks after winning title with ease last year. Hard to make sense of it. This is after the draws were made, master fixtures drawn up, and first round - incase the of junior was meant to have been played. I remember trying to get a minor team in fenagh regraded to Minor b from the a years back, well in advance of the championship, laid the facts on the table about possibly not being able to field, never mind compete, and was turned down blankly. It turned out we played 2 games in the league and couldn't field after that. But I digress... Its not a good thing long term for hurling in the county, but won't take from a special year for them.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2582 - 02/07/2018 11:12:00    2117590

Link

@ Old Yellar how many adult teams are the various clubs putting out ?

MLR one in each grade? Myshall etc ?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 02/07/2018 12:26:10    2117647

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "@ Old Yellar how many adult teams are the various clubs putting out ?

MLR one in each grade? Myshall etc ?"
Ballinkillen - 2
Miseal - 3
MLR - 3
St Mullins - 2
Erin's own - I think only 1 but I stand corrected as I heard conflicting stories
N brid - 2
Carlow town - 2
Tullow - 1
Pal - 1
Burren rangers - 1

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2582 - 02/07/2018 12:51:09    2117660

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Ballinkillen - 2
Miseal - 3
MLR - 3
St Mullins - 2
Erin's own - I think only 1 but I stand corrected as I heard conflicting stories
N brid - 2
Carlow town - 2
Tullow - 1
Pal - 1
Burren rangers - 1"
Well done to Carlow. Great stuff.

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 974 - 02/07/2018 14:11:33    2117718

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Yeah, both n brid and Erin's own have applied/been granted permission to return to intermediate for various reasons. Meeting tonight to sort out format and dates for the remaining 4 teams. Pal also granted permission to return to junior ranks after winning title with ease last year. Hard to make sense of it. This is after the draws were made, master fixtures drawn up, and first round - incase the of junior was meant to have been played. I remember trying to get a minor team in fenagh regraded to Minor b from the a years back, well in advance of the championship, laid the facts on the table about possibly not being able to field, never mind compete, and was turned down blankly. It turned out we played 2 games in the league and couldn't field after that. But I digress... Its not a good thing long term for hurling in the county, but won't take from a special year for them."
Wow. Twenty years ago, we had eight senior clubs. So we've gone from seven group stage games to maybe only three?

I suppose another way to look at it is we had eight mediocre teams back then, whereas now we have two really good ones that would hold their own in Kilkenny's SHC. While, Naomh Brid (very sadly) and CTHC, in particular, have regressed.

I'm still surprised at Erins Own though.

Anwyay, perhaps it's better to have chaps with something realistic to aim at, rather than getting hammerings from MLR.

But four senior clubs is shocking. And it seems we need to integrate further with Kilkenny, league-wise, with maybe our IHC and even JFC sides going into their lower divisions? Is there a case for minors likewise?

TAFKAN01FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 02/07/2018 19:02:44    2117876

Link

Congrats to Carlow Hurling specifically (and GAA in generally) for an outstanding year. And it's not over yet! Good luck in the next round.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 54 - 03/07/2018 15:34:17    2118118

Link

Another immense performance delivered in spades on Sunday against Westmeath. Huge win against a hungry and well trained Westmeath.
The goals we got created a gap that was never seriously threatened. Denis Murphy was flawless from frees - 10 out of ten - was a big help to retaining momentum and confidence and the fact that we won a lot of puck outs meant that we were very difficult to beat.
A lot of kudos should go to the backroom team who changed the style a little particularly in how we defended their puck outs in the second half and as a result Westmeath ran out of ideas.
An immense win for Carlow hurlers who have quietly gone about their business quietly but with a steely determination and have brought home 3 trophies in the last year. That is some going!

We are now in the top echelon of the nations teams and that is a huge accomplishment. Great credit goes to all who work tirelessly behind the scenes training and coaching in their clubs.

A pity the match against Limerick is just 6 days after the McDonagh final but it will give the lads a taste of what is in store next year in both league and championship.
We have replaced Offaly and we now need to ensure we stay up next year. It will be a very difficult ask but hopefully Colm Bonner will stay on as his experience will be crucial in moving the team onwards and upwards.

Very proud to be in Croke Park on Sunday and to converse with Galway people especially about our team but they were very complimentary about the standard and effort they witnessed. Great day in Croker!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1487 - 04/07/2018 20:55:38    2118640

Link

Alfie will be a massive loss today.

ceatharlach.abu (Carlow) - Posts: 12 - 07/07/2018 13:41:26    2119334

Link

I hope the hurlers and footballers go into the league with the positive memories from these campaigns in 2018.

Looking at Kildare dissect Fermanagh you cant but purr at the earlier achievement of that win.
The hurlers achieved both goals, Div 1B and the round robin next year, so a fabulous year. Today a function of
6 day turn around and fatigue.

A big thank you to both panels, Bonner, O'Brien and their support teams for a year to be proud of.

Upwards and onward in 2019.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 144 - 07/07/2018 22:20:20    2119443

Link

Would concur with that. What a great season for Carlow GAA. Senior footballers now in Div 3, BIG wins over Louth and Kildare (both without Brendan Murphy). Senior Hurlers McDonagh Cup Champs, next year in Div 1b league and Leinster Champ.
Minor footballers (although nearly all underage next year) drew with Laois, one point defeat to Wexford and close game with Longford.
There's a whole new appreciation by our supporters of all our teams and great to see the support swelling.
Can't wait for 2019.

Well done to all involved. Up Carlow

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 239 - 08/07/2018 09:54:54    2119511

Link

Did Alan Corcoran get injured before the Limerick game? Also, Eoin Nolan, he played all the leagt games.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1045 - 11/07/2018 23:12:56    2120848

Link