Carlow Forum

Hurlers 2018 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I split the 2018 season thread - better to have separate ones for either code

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 447 - 28/12/2017 17:37:57    2066089

Link

Any reports on the match / team / who played well?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 447 - 30/12/2017 20:11:08    2066306

Link

I had to follow last nights match on the Wexford GAA twitter feed of all places ... In the absence of any available match report or team sheet here is what I gleaned:-

Seamus Murphy got a straight red in the first half so we had to play most of the game with 14 men. We were level on various occasions but Wexford got a goal in the second half which made it a bit of a struggle for us. However the lads kept Wexford within range for most of the remainder. Both sides seemed to miss a share of frees throughout the game. In the circumstances it was a highly creditable result and would indicate a lot of good work is underway with the hurling team.

Maybe someone who was actually at the game could give us a view on proceeding or if someone can get a match report they could post it up?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 447 - 04/01/2018 12:34:45    2066775

Link

Hurlers played well last night. Very competitive and Wexford had 10 players starting that will start in championship including Chin etc. Martin Kavanagh as good as any hurler on show. We could have had more points but opted to go for goals which showed confidence in our ability. Sending off was deserved and we really battled hard after that. James Doyle good at CB, Jack Kav worked hard. Chris Nolan was very impressive in between a marker and sweeper. Alfie was his usual self and Michael Doyle of MLR showed up well corner back. We were missing English, 2 Coady's, JM Nolan, Paul Doyle amongst others so well done lads.

anFhrainc (Carlow) - Posts: 57 - 04/01/2018 13:47:02    2066792

Link

Wexford 1-20 Carlow 0-18

Cathal Dunbar's 55th-minute goal proved decisive as it edged Wexford to a five-point victory over a battling Carlow outfit at Hollymount.

Very little separated the sides through the opening 15 minutes at the end of which the sides were level 0-4 each. Lee Chin and Denis Murphy swapped two points apiece to keep the sides still deadlocked at 0-6 each, before Carlow were reduced to 14 players having Séamus Murphy straight red carded for a wild pull after 30 minutes.

Despite the setback, it was still Carlow who finished the half with two Murphy pointed frees, leaving Wexford leading by the minimum, 0-9 to 0-8 at half-time.

Despite their numerical disadvantage it was Carlow who showed better on the resumption through the accuracy of Murphy's pointed frees. But with Chin responding for the home side, Wexford lead 0-14 to 0-13 after 48 minutes.

Entering the closing 15 minutes the sides were still level 0-15 each, but Dunbar's goal at the end of a sweeping move eventually killed off the Carlow challenge with Wexford finishing strongly to gain their opening win of the season.

SCORERS - Wexford: L Chin 0-9 (seven frees), C Dunbar 1-1, H Kehoe, P Morris 0-2 each, S Donohoe, M O'Hanlon, E Moore, A Nolan, C McDonald, J Guiney 0-1 each. Carlow: D Murphy 0-9 (seven frees), J Kavanagh 0-3, D Byrne 0-2, J Kavanagh, C Wall, E Byrne, C Nolan 0-1 each.

WEXFORD: C O'Leary; D Reck, L Ryan, C Firman; S Donohoe, M O'Hanlon, E Moore; L Chin, Joe O'Connor; K Foley, A Nolan, P Morris; H Kehoe, D Dunne, C Dunbar.

Subs: S Murphy for Donohoe (h/t), Jack O'Connor for Nolan (43 mins), W Devereux for Firman (45 mins), C McDonald for Dunne (47 mins), D O'Keeffe for Moore (55 mins), J Guiney for Kehoe (60 mins).

CARLOW: B Tracey; A Corcoran, J Doyle, M Doyle; G Cody, E Nolan, J O'Hara; J Kavanagh, D Byrne; S Murphy, M Kavanagh, E Byrne; D Murphy, C Wall, C Nolan.

Subs: C Foley for E Byrne (52 mins), P Doyle for C Nolan (53 mins), P Abbey for O'Hara (57 mins), A Casey for J Kavanagh (69 mins).

Referee: J O'Brien (Tipperary).

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 447 - 04/01/2018 22:01:35    2066861

Link

A big season on the way for the hurlers. Can they build on the Christy Ring success of last year? If progress is to be achieved, they will have to win promotion from division 2A in the league and that wont be easy. There are a few new faces in the squad this year and competition will be strong for a starting place in the first round v Westmeath. This group has the talent to be successful. I just think they need a little more self belief and they could have a good season.

Ashwielder (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 11/01/2018 09:56:56    2067757

Link

Great win for it carlow over Mary i last years Fitzgibbon winners.

James Doyle was center back and Marty Kavanagh scored 0-9 from center forward

carlovia (None) - Posts: 898 - 21/01/2018 20:32:38    2069732

Link

Bad result for the hurlers today.

Very unlucky to have a goal disallowed by an umpire after the ref had given it with 3 mins left.

We were good in the first half but struggled to get the ball to stick in the forwards in the second.

Seamus Murphy and Eddie Byrne did well as did our full back line.

We were missing a few players so improvements to come.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 898 - 28/01/2018 18:39:16    2071478

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Bad result for the hurlers today.

Very unlucky to have a goal disallowed by an umpire after the ref had given it with 3 mins left.

We were good in the first half but struggled to get the ball to stick in the forwards in the second.

Seamus Murphy and Eddie Byrne did well as did our full back line.

We were missing a few players so improvements to come."
I was at match today.1.We were destroyed at midfield. 2.We can't còntinue to carry forwards for frees only. Jack Kavanagh made big difference when he came on,pity he wasn't introduced at half time. We have to win inKerry now or the league is over for us.

madjack6 (Carlow) - Posts: 14 - 28/01/2018 20:30:33    2071594

Link

Big pressure in the next game down in Tralee vs Kerry, we are well capable of getting a result down there which, if achieved gets us back on track. Pity the two toughest games on paper came so soon in the league, it would have been better to have a round or so under the belt, but that's the way....

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 447 - 30/01/2018 00:47:35    2072257

Link

Without meaning to be over-critical, doesn't it seem like the hurlers made a tremendous amount of progress 7 or 8 years ago, and have just been running to stand still since?... I mean they hack along at their own level, but there seems to be a pool of sides there who are all much of a muchness, Carlow, Kerry, Laois, Westmeath, Antrim, Meath... And Carlow don't seem to have progressed at all in this decade... they have alright years and so-so years but nothing seems to change much?... sort of too good for the B but not really good enough for the A and stuck at that level?... I am not saying it's bad (and they are definitely better than they were 20 years ago... but where is it all going long-term? Is this a plan, like?

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 245 - 30/01/2018 18:09:02    2072506

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Without meaning to be over-critical, doesn't it seem like the hurlers made a tremendous amount of progress 7 or 8 years ago, and have just been running to stand still since?... I mean they hack along at their own level, but there seems to be a pool of sides there who are all much of a muchness, Carlow, Kerry, Laois, Westmeath, Antrim, Meath... And Carlow don't seem to have progressed at all in this decade... they have alright years and so-so years but nothing seems to change much?... sort of too good for the B but not really good enough for the A and stuck at that level?... I am not saying it's bad (and they are definitely better than they were 20 years ago... but where is it all going long-term? Is this a plan, like?"
Well in 2006 we got destroyed by Antrim in a christy ring final.

Last year we hammered Antrim in the christy ring. In recent years our u21 team beat Dublin and have made 3 Leinster semi finals.

Plus mlr got to an all ireland club final.

Great squad at the moment with a good mix of youth and experience so i think further progress will take place in the next few years.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 898 - 30/01/2018 21:30:38    2072590

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Well in 2006 we got destroyed by Antrim in a christy ring final.

Last year we hammered Antrim in the christy ring. In recent years our u21 team beat Dublin and have made 3 Leinster semi finals.

Plus mlr got to an all ireland club final.

Great squad at the moment with a good mix of youth and experience so i think further progress will take place in the next few years."
I think in Carlow Westmeath and other tier 2 teams huge progress has been made.I feel one or two of us in the next two or three years are going to make a big breakthrough.Problem is we kill each other before we get to the big boys but it's going to happen.I hope it's Westmeath and you guys obviously Carlow but it will happen.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 608 - 30/01/2018 23:32:56    2072649

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I think in Carlow Westmeath and other tier 2 teams huge progress has been made.I feel one or two of us in the next two or three years are going to make a big breakthrough.Problem is we kill each other before we get to the big boys but it's going to happen.I hope it's Westmeath and you guys obviously Carlow but it will happen."
Dead right Jobber.

Great to see the Westmeath and Carlow players doing so well with
their college teams as well.

People dont realise how good Westmeath, Kerry, Carlow and Laois are.

Its just the top 10 teams have got better as well. Funny how people
would celebrate their footballers being in Division 2 of the league but
the hurlers arent appreciated.

Thought your lads deserve it on Sunday as they were stronger in the last 15
minutes.

But that Umpire crossing off 1-1 at the end didnt help us either !!

carlovia (None) - Posts: 898 - 31/01/2018 10:47:50    2072716

Link

Die dog or s h1t a licence now lads...Way too much training gone into the former though; and way too much hard work, work, work.

As an aside, Is John Michael Nolan back on Sunday?

We're in the same position that W.Meath found themselves in last year one game in. We can still firmly MAKE AMENDS though. They were playing their second game v Kildare (albeit a beefier Kildare team than this year with Athlaca/Limerick)

This is harder, but Carlow can win on Sunday and win well, just like we did in Croker v Antrim. Horse into them lads. We definitely owe Kerry one too. CAN & WILL HAPPEN

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 450 - 01/02/2018 23:07:05    2073270

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "Die dog or s h1t a licence now lads...Way too much training gone into the former though; and way too much hard work, work, work.

As an aside, Is John Michael Nolan back on Sunday?

We're in the same position that W.Meath found themselves in last year one game in. We can still firmly MAKE AMENDS though. They were playing their second game v Kildare (albeit a beefier Kildare team than this year with Athlaca/Limerick)

This is harder, but Carlow can win on Sunday and win well, just like we did in Croker v Antrim. Horse into them lads. We definitely owe Kerry one too. CAN & WILL HAPPEN"
Passer_By,

I'm not sure what point you are making regarding training and hard work.

Are you suggesting that Carlow have over-trained for the league competition?

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 147 - 02/02/2018 11:24:33    2073340

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Passer_By,

I'm not sure what point you are making regarding training and hard work.

Are you suggesting that Carlow have over-trained for the league competition?"
No blackbog

Just be a serious shame for it to finish within one mere week. Surely not given the effort that's gone in.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 450 - 02/02/2018 15:38:31    2073409

Link

Thats some win today.

Fantastic achievement to pick themselves off the floor after the disappointment of last weekend.

Well done to all.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 147 - 04/02/2018 15:41:28    2073854

Link

Great win today in kerry.

Some second half to outscore kerry by 1-8 to 0-3 after a tight first half.

Returning players made a big impact and being able to bring on John Michael and paul coady was the difference.

Great to see Eoin Nolan back and Chris Nolan is getting better and better. The competition for places is great and gives options off the bench.

Well done to all concerned.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 898 - 04/02/2018 18:00:07    2073927

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Great win today in kerry.

Some second half to outscore kerry by 1-8 to 0-3 after a tight first half.

Returning players made a big impact and being able to bring on John Michael and paul coady was the difference.

Great to see Eoin Nolan back and Chris Nolan is getting better and better. The competition for places is great and gives options off the bench.

Well done to all concerned."
great result today
onwards and upwards

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 391 - 04/02/2018 18:55:07    2073974

Link