Antrim Forum

Football Leagues 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How do people see the 2015 football leagues going?

Div 1- will be the usual contenders- Cargin will be the team to beat as normal, with st galls in 2nd gear. Out of the promoted sides, Portglenone could prove a tough team to beat, and I would fancy them staying up with a few to spare. St Ts will get it tight due to players overseas with work & uni.

Div 2- could prove yet again the most competitive league in the county, fancy rasharkin to live up to their reputation as a yo yo club and bounce straight back up. Glenavy could prove the best of the rest, and I fancy them to sneak 2nd place in this league.

Div 3- Aghagallen & davitts both dropped from div 2 last year, and both teams will be hard to beat, especially at home. Dunloy/Glenravel will provide real competition, and I wouldnt be surprised if these 4 battled it out for the top 2 positions come end of year.

Div 4- there is talk that this league may not be going ahead due to a lack of numbers, however if it does go ahead I fancy ballycastle to prove the best of the bunch.

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 08/01/2015 12:22:19    1681441

Link

Division 1 will be tightest in years in regards to relegation. Cargin to win and Aghohill, St Teresas to go Down but expect it to be a dogfight with up to 6 teams involved

Division 2 very tough to call but would say Moneyglass and Ballymena to get promoted with St Endas and Sarsfields to come back down again although Sarsfields could stay up at the expense of Glenavy who have been sailing close to the wind in recent years.

Division 3 Aghagallon at a canter them probably followed by Glenravel. Relegation would be pretty confident that Pearses and Lisburn will go straight back down. Big Step up.

Division 4 St Malachys and St. Agnes to come straight back up.

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 08/01/2015 13:50:39    1681487

Link

Div 1, usual story Cargin to win the league with LD and Galls up there also. Coming the other direction i would think Rossa and Aldergrove might struggle, i like the look of the 2 teams coming up.

Div 2, Can see Ballymena being the team to beat, play a good brand of football and have some seriously talented players. Not 100% sure who the other relegated team was think it might have been st pauls? if so i fancy them to bounce back. Going the other direction i can see Gort maybe struggling a bit, put a good run together at the end of last season to stay up but they havent replaced the quality players that have left i think Glenavy will be joining them in relegation.

Div 3, i would say Aghagallon should get out of the division easily enough though we have thought that about a lot of teams over the years, would also think O'Donnells or Glenravel will be joining them.

cant see there being a division 4 this year just an extended div 3, hearing word that there will be no Ballycastle, no Aggies or Glenravel 2nds and no Mitchells which would leave Mals and Aggies so i would assume they would just make a 12 team division 3.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 08/01/2015 16:35:41    1681547

Link

Are the football leagues in Antrim not being changed? I was under the impression division 1 was extending to 12 or 14 sides and only those could play Senior ChChampionshipis there a meeting about this somewhere soon?

Well done to my native Are mhaca today on soundly thumping Antrim . I know it's only McKenna cup but we looked very well drilled. Potential Ulster Champs this year???

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 11/01/2015 16:48:29    1682237

Link

I would not be surprised if the leagues were restructured despite the county rejecting something similar fairly recently as this would be an easy get out after the Aghagallon, Moneyglass, St Teresas, GNM farce but should things stay as they are then I would predict the following:

Div 1:
Usual suspects Cargin to win it.
Relegation for St Teresas who have made good strides but perhaps got promoted a little too soon + A.N Other - maybe Ahoghill.

Div 2:
Moneyglass to get promoted along with possibly St Pauls. Ballymena should be close but I am getting fed up predicting them for things only to see them spectacularly blow up time and again but maybe now that I have said that they will prove me wrong. Relegation will be tough to call here as the sides who went up will have ambitions of consolidating though might just be a little out of their depth - two from St Endas, Sarsfields, GNM, Randalstown and Glenavy (hardly a prediction at that rate).

Div 3:
Aghagallon at a canter. To be joined by either Glenravel or O Donnells. Dunloy while capable always seem to take their eye off the ball as the season progresses.

As for Armagh hammering Antrim - not a great surprise given the respective sides on display and where each team are at the mo - that said I would hope that Armagh would kick on from last year and provide a real strong challenge from Ulster.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 12/01/2015 08:16:13    1682396

Link

Armagh

Rules_man I notice you waited until after the Antrim game before posting about Armagh's chances of winning Ulster. If they continue to suffer bouts of ill-discipline (particularly from Jamie Clarke) they won't win much.
No offence but Armagh beating a 2nd string Antrim team will hardly have the bookies rushing to cut their odds....

countyman00 (Antrim) - Posts: 60 - 12/01/2015 10:25:48    1682437

Link

Naysayer do you think this set up would work for division 1 next year:

12 teams all play each other once, with or WITHOUT county players. Once this round of fixtures is complete split into a top half and bottom half where county players are available. Looking at the bottom of Division 1 only one team really got cut a drift, there would be no 'easy games' for relegation teams which we have seen over the past few years. Don't know how competitive the top half of the table would be but surely its better 2 teams with nothing to play for playing a game than 1 team with everything to play for in staying up playing a top teams 2nds.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 12/01/2015 10:59:02    1682453

Link

the_watcher I like that idea and it should also give teams the chance to try many guys out in competitive action knowing that there is still a chance at redemption. So all in keeps the leagues moving while potential to develop squads. But as you are clearly saying it means that the league can be finished on time and in a proper competitive manner which has got to be improvement.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 12/01/2015 12:00:13    1682487

Link

Rules_man

you beat Antrim like half of division four did last year, dont forget your county lost to Tyrone last week and the Ulster draw has Armagh in with Ulsters bigger forces. Focus on that before talking about Ulster championships its only January ffs!

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 1818 - 12/01/2015 15:40:43    1682586

Link

I see the senior championship will now be a seeded competition- not sure I agree with this idea, but at least it may make the league more meaningful.

Hearing word that the div 4 will be redundant, making a larger div 3.

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 13/01/2015 12:23:41    1682779

Link

johnanthony - that is interesting though I wonder why they just did not go for three leagues of 12 or the like - does that mean in Div 3 teams only play each other once or will they introduce a split?

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 13/01/2015 13:08:11    1682803

Link

Listen mo chara,

Antrim will be extremely lucky to get out of Div 4. Somebody else on here saying Antrim put out their second string?
maybe you might beat Fermanagh but I doubt it with Old Pete starting to impose himself on their panel as seen on Sunday past.

I think Antrim should have a 14 team division 1, everybody plays everybody once, venues change year to year, 3 group games in championship and top half breakaway after 7 games. Guaranteed 17 games every year unless Antrim reach an All Ireland Final.....in rounders.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 13/01/2015 15:14:53    1682867

Link

Any word of teams dropping down a level in regards to championship? Senior to Intermediate or intermediate to Junior?

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 13/01/2015 20:40:07    1682982

Link

spy_in_the_sky never heard of any change but then again have not heard any news full stop even regarding restructuring etc but should there be I imagine that will provide days of debate on here :)

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 14/01/2015 08:39:09    1683025

Link

Rules_man

Ah more McKenna cup stats, they really do paint a true picture of what's to follow every year. Good luck at the bookies bhay!

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 1818 - 14/01/2015 09:18:33    1683032

Link

spy_in_the_sky I see the county website now has participants for all competitions.

The only thing that really stands out is that Division 4 in the football is going ahead contrary to opinion here. That aside it is all pretty much as you would expect.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 14/01/2015 12:40:01    1683114

Link

Surprised at Rasharkin dropping to intermediate, i suppose with portglenone not being in it this year they will be installed as early favs by many.

Div 4 seems a bit of a joke, will be interesting to see how many games will be completed in this league come the end of the year.

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 14/01/2015 12:42:49    1683115

Link

Div 4 seems a bit of a joke, will be interesting to see how many games will be completed in this league come the end of the year.

Bit of County tomfoolery going on me thinks.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3968 - 14/01/2015 12:47:23    1683118

Link

Thought it was 2 up 2 down division 4, St Malachys somehow earn a reprieve at the expense of Lisburn? Division 1 will be ultra competitive this year as will all the leagues.

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 14/01/2015 17:45:45    1683251

Link

Rules_man

Thanks for making my argument for me - you are right, Antrim will be lucky to get out of Div 4 (even with everyone back) so Armagh beating them is hardly a reason to get excited. You managed to link a win against Antrim to some sort of indication of winning Ulster - let's put it this way, I doubt Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan and the rest looked at that result and thought "Christ, Armagh have started well"!!!

countyman00 (Antrim) - Posts: 60 - 15/01/2015 08:56:13    1683392

Link