Antrim Forum

Antrim Hurling squad

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think that team is laughable. Don't even know who half the players on the panel are. I would fancy our county champions club select would beat that team. Several of the players on it wouldn't have a shout of starting for Loughgiel, Cushendall or Dunloy never mind the county team if it was selected properly. The fact that the majority of the panel play in division 2 or lower speaks volumes. Can't see Antrim going anywhere with this. Was at the Limerick league game in Loughgiel a few weeks back and in all seriousness there was fellas standing watching that match and even stewarding at it who are better hurlers than those stripped out.

DukeNukem (Antrim) - Posts: 34 - 12/05/2011 11:20:45    928917

Link

I think you are being a bit harsh, problem with players standing watching is they obviously haven't committed to the county

kautostar (Antrim) - Posts: 71 - 12/05/2011 13:26:15    929054

Link

I can't believe Dinny didn't ask Paddy Mc Gill back to the panel this year. Is anyone seriously suggesting Conor Mc Cann, James Black or Mark Rea are better hurlers than him?

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 12/05/2011 14:05:22    929107

Link

here we go again anyone not from shamrocks , dunloy or the dall shouldnt be on the panel yawn yawn yawn

skillstar93 (Antrim) - Posts: 41 - 12/05/2011 14:52:31    929184

Link

Maybe you boys should think of setting up your own team, kinda like fingal or south down, then the rest of us wouldnt have to listen to this drivel every time there is a team picked.

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 13/05/2011 10:40:15    929731

Link

I'll be honest with you here, O Connell, Mc Guinness, Barry Mc Fall, James Black, Conor Mc Cann, Hawes, Thomas Mc Cann, Colm Mc Fall, Michael Armstrong and Mark Rea. None of them would be on the Dall, Dunloy or Loughgiel teams. The pick of Cushendall, Dunloy and Loughgiel would wipe the floor with the rest of the county.

1. DD Quinn
2. B Mc Auley
3. A Graffin
4. K Molloy
5. S Delargy
6. J Campbell
7. M Scullion
8. K Mc Keegan
9. P Shiels
10. P Mc Gill
11. N Mc Manus
12. L Watson
13. S Mc Naughton
14. P Richmond
15. E Mc Closkey

That team would beat the rest of the county

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 13/05/2011 15:39:26    930117

Link

jesusjones you have just illustrated why antrim find it hard to make any forward strides. selecting a team that would 'beat the rest of the county', what the hell does that prove? Dinny has seen all the players u have mentioned and obviously decided he would get a better team effort without some of them. I get the impression you judge a player based on his clubs status and not his own individual talent. Its not suprising antrim have their best run in years when Dinny Cahill took charge both times. It takes a manager from a top hurling county to know how to blend a county team together. Look how many club teams are represented in Kilkenny, Cork, Tipp etc. Sambo tried your approach and it failed badly. So any chance some of you boys up there could get real and support your county from top to bottom?

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 13/05/2011 17:16:48    930217

Link

Sambo didn't try my approach, PJ O Connell, Colm Hunter, Barry Mc Fall, Colm Mc Fall, Chrissy O Connell, all hurled under Sambo, so did Dan Mc Killop form Glenariffe. Topa-the-left are you seriously suggesting you'd pick Conor Mc Cann in front of Paddy Mc Gill or Mc Guinness in front of Barney Mc Auley?

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 14/05/2011 10:41:00    930498

Link

Jesusjones your not answering any of my questions and your missing the point. However, the two McFalls (Colm and Barry) probably got one start between them under Sambo and Brian retired when he took over. In a recent interview Jerry Wallace said that Barry McFall had the potential to be a star, why would he know that and Sambo wouldnt?? Its obvious.

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 14/05/2011 15:26:14    930690

Link

No point talking about a guys potential when he is in his 20's. He isn't an U-16 or a minor, if he ain't producing the goods now then forget about it

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 14/05/2011 16:45:32    930764

Link

the hurlers of the north need to go through operations to take their heads out of their arses. that team may beat a team made up of the rest of the county. doesn't mean that there aren't players worthy of the county team. that's like saying a team made up fo st gall's and cargin (football) would beat a team made up of the rest of the county. you would be leaving out such key players. Dinny Cahill's team looks strong. good luck the night lads.

AntrimMan123 (Antrim) - Posts: 93 - 14/05/2011 17:11:33    930769

Link

Fair play to you's on beating Laois, great result!

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 14/05/2011 21:07:41    930940

Link

After yesterdays performance of some players - especially Michael Armstrong & Conor McCann, anybody willing to put their hands up?

Aint_Trim (Antrim) - Posts: 16 - 15/05/2011 13:30:58    931127

Link

jesusjones in reply to barry mcfall i think as far as im aware this lad is still just 22 years of age and if you where in loughguile last week when antrim played limerick in the NHL you would have seen he was the best hurler antrim had scoring 3 points from play from mid field. Also if you where a true antrim supporter you would have seen this lad come on against dublin last year and bring antrim back from 6 points down to win by a point within 20 minutes left he was only on for 25 minutes and was my man of the match. so in my opinion he is well worthy of being on the antrim team. he reminds me of a young chris hamill.

havingalaugh (Antrim) - Posts: 5 - 15/05/2011 14:23:00    931167

Link

Have to agree with Aint_Trim, thought Conor McCann was excellent, he wasn't on his own though, congrats to all the players and coaching team on a great performance. Best of luck vs Wexford.

cpm10 (Meath) - Posts: 12 - 15/05/2011 14:33:16    931180

Link

how stupid do the people feel who slagged off lower division players feel after yesterday?

Pure cracker typical slap in the face elitists deserve haha

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 15/05/2011 14:59:31    931198

Link

An excellent result for our hurlers against a Laois side who had beaten us in the last three competitive meetings. Bring on Wexford!

M Lyster (Antrim) - Posts: 404 - 15/05/2011 16:23:11    931265

Link

Big enough to admit I got it wrong, bring on Wexford, you were giving Barry Mc Fall a great amount of praise until you compared him to a young Chris Hamill. What did Barry Mc Fall do to deserve that???

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 15/05/2011 18:46:57    931392

Link

I cant believe that people are coming on and slating their county players! These players have every right to represent their county. In the top counties, the kilkennys and corks and tipperarys its not always the most skillfull players on the teams, its the most committed players those players who will train no matter the weather, those who will put their bodies in front of a caman, those who will fight for the ball if they miss their first touch, those who show the pride in the jersey that they are wearing and those who reprensent their county, clubs and familys with pride.

I travelled up to watch the game, which i bet the so called antrim supporters critcising the players didnt, and i seen hunger, pride and passion as well as skill. Barry McFall was the game changer in the match against Dublin last year, it's been a long time since i have seen an antrim hurler make such an impact at such a high level, probably 1st time since olcan mc fettridge back in 89 against offally! he deserves to be given a starting berth on the team, he will show over the year just how good he is, i didnt get to the limerick game but i had jerry on the phone singing his praises again and that is an achievement in itself, although young james black didnt have a great impact i do think he has a lot of potential if he builds himself up physically! But Antrim are still a team in a building phase and they will only get better! young Chris McGuinness was Man of the Match was superb, great athlete with a lot of skill!

I for one will be in wexford park to support my 2nd county!! I suggest that the rest of you go to a match and judge the players from what u see other than the tripe that you hear from others or from what you read on forum like this!! Aontroim agus Corcaigh abu!!

BobThornhill (Cork) - Posts: 13 - 16/05/2011 14:17:46    931997

Link

Very well said Bob, keith would be very proud of you :) I have to second what you said and call on true supporters of the county to get behind the team rather than criticise them before the championship had even started. One or two players really proved a lot of players wrong, one of them from my own club who i have watched growing up and who was never without a hurl in his hand. These fellas deserve their chance every bit as much as the division one players, and if their commitment is better, maybe even more so.

so, well done to the team (the team and squad, not just our division one players) and best of luck in wexford park, I will see yous there.

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 16/05/2011 14:59:35    932060

Link