Antrim Forum

Antrim Hurling squad

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Where are all the Div.1 hurlers in Antrim ? The team took the field to-day with 9 hurlers from Div 2. The were 20 Div 2 hurlers in the panel for the game.Surely there must be other Div 1 hurlers who deserve a chance on the team. Playing in Div 2 or 3 in no way prepares players for county hurling,and it showed to-day.
Standing along the line were Div 1 hurlers from Dunloy, Loughgiel and Cushendall who have never been given a chance on the county team. Surely players who have played in senior county finals etc.have more experience than those from junior teams. There wasn't one player from the county champions playing to-day on their home ground. I wonder why Mr Cahill refuses to select certain players who would obviously be a vast improvement on some who were on show to-day,

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 17/04/2011 17:44:56    913312

Link

lets hear your starting 15 then

skillstar93 (Antrim) - Posts: 41 - 17/04/2011 21:37:17    913556

Link

Its funny how division two/three players in other counties manage to fit in just fine, and in fact win All Ireland finals along with other prizes. Very elitist attitude you have there, but perhaps to be expected

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 17/04/2011 21:52:02    913583

Link

You'd think lads like Barney Mc Auley, Paddy Mc Gill and Sean Dowds would have more to offer than some of the lads on show yesterday. I don't have a problem with hurlers from division 2 I have a problem with hurlers being selected when they clearly don't have the ability for it. As far as the Limerick games goes I don't think we'd have let in 4 goals if Hippy was in full back ,pity he is injured at the moment, he'd have made a difference and so would Johnny Campbell. Neil Mc Manus was the only forward to cause any problems, every time he got the ball he was fouled and we got scores from the frees.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 18/04/2011 10:08:19    913668

Link

Div 2 and 3 players are OK,it's just that some of them lack experience when it comes to meeting the like of Limerick.The players you mentioned have very rarely been found lacking and should still be in the running,they are being ignored at the minute.Would you drop any of them from their club teams and replace them with some of yesterday's team.Mr Cahill seems determined to forget about good senior club players. We should have a junior county team,it would do well.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 18/04/2011 14:36:51    914034

Link

Dinny seems to favour youth, has alot of young players in there when perhaps older heads would perform better, the intention obviously being to build for the future. the 3 players mentioned would all be great additions to the squad but truth be told the players that would make the most impact are possibly the likes of Paddy Richmond, Johnny Tosh, Gregory O'Kane, big strong powerful players but at the wrong ends of there careers

kautostar (Antrim) - Posts: 71 - 18/04/2011 15:38:25    914121

Link

Paddy Richmond yes, Tosh maybe, Gregory O Kane no, he was a fantastic player in his day but he must be 37 or 38 now and despite still being a sound club hurler would be too old at county level. Paddy Mc Gill is still only 23 and Sean Dowds must be younger than that. I have no problem with youth getting a chance but some of the lads on the squad are never going to be hurlers. I was disappointed with Karl Stewart yesterday, normally he never lets Antrim down but so often he stood off his man and the Limerick centre back cleared serious ball. Also Limerick were generally a taller team than Antrim yet we had lads standing trying to catch high balls against a man 4 or 5 inches taller than them, silly stuff. Antrim need to go man for man, I hate the way players have started to mark a position rather than their man under poc outs, its a disaster.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 18/04/2011 17:22:58    914235

Link

Same as Jesusjones. Paddy richmond definitely and Johnny Tosh on his day.....definitely Dick is too old for inter county. Other two have been looked over for years. I am still hopeful for Dinny to pick a decent team for the championship. He was missing a few players through injury. As far as stewart is concerned, i wouldnt worry too much about one bad performance. Everybody is entitled to have one. He will be back to his usual consistency hopefully for the next game.

ruairi_og (Antrim) - Posts: 9 - 19/04/2011 10:07:08    914626

Link

I think Cushendall,Dunloy or Loughgiel would have beaten Antrim on Sunday even with some of their players playing for Antrim.What do you think?

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 19/04/2011 12:12:36    914765

Link

Out of the 31 man panel for the Antrim match v Limerick these are the payers i'd keep:

SeanHawes
NeilMcAuley
KevinMolloy
AaronGraffin
KarlStewart
ShaneMcNaughton
PaulShiels
SimonMcCrory
KarlMcKeegan
NeilMcManus
BarryMcFall
DarrenHamill
ChristopherMcGuinness
ConorCarson
EddieMcCloskey
KevinMcKeague
CormacDonnelly
PJOConnell

I would then go to the clubs and get the following players on board:

Dunloy - Sean Dowds and Paddy Richmond
Loughgiel - Joey Scullion, Martin Scullion, Liam Watson and Barney McAuley.
Glenariffe - Kevin McDonnell
St Johns - Gerard Cunningham
Cushendall - Sean Delargy, Paddy McGill, Donal McNaughton, Paddy McNaughton and Ronan Kearney.

I think the fortunes of Antrim Hurling would change if these players were all picked and were committed!!!

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 19/04/2011 14:08:27    914884

Link

My team of choice from the panel I posted previously would be:

Ronan Kearney

Sean Delargy
Cormac Donnelly
Arron Graffin

Neil McAuley
Neil McManus
Donal McNaughton

Karl Stewart
Paddy McNaughton

Paul Shiels
Simon McCrory
Eddie McCoskey

Shane McNauhgton
Liam Watson
Paddy McGill

Subs:

Sean Hawes, Kevin Molloy, Karl McKeegan, Barry McFall, Darren Hamill, Chris McGuinness, Conor Carson, kevin McKeague, PJ O'Connell, Sean Dowds, Barney McAuley, Martin Scullion, Joey Scullion, Kevin McDonnell and Gerard Cunningham.

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 19/04/2011 14:41:26    914929

Link

No Johnny Campbell ??

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 19/04/2011 15:50:33    915000

Link

I'm from Cushendall and I wouldn't even pick that many of our lads

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 19/04/2011 20:46:53    915283

Link

what about the 2 herron brothers or even the 3 if you could get brendan to commit again. also there are alot off good hurlers in antrim but we forget the most important thing is antrim have only started to get their act togethr in recent years with fitness, strenght and condtioning etc and skills where as most southern counties have been doing all this with their players since they were kids where as we have not. give the younger players a chance and in a couple of yeras we will see the rewards.

against thehead (None) - Posts: 36 - 20/04/2011 15:38:27    915743

Link

I agree with giving young Div 2 and 3 hurlers a chance,but there are young hurlers in Div1 who are not getting a chance.There are young players in the second teams of Dunloy,Loughgiel and Cushendall who would be stars in Div 2,3 and 4 teams,let us see them.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 20/04/2011 15:49:46    915751

Link

goalgetter is paddy mc naughton not just out of minor.Fair enough i hear this lad is a great talent but to stick him in midfield against the likes of dublin and offly ect would destroy him i think

ceathru (Down) - Posts: 163 - 21/04/2011 15:10:21    916377

Link

Yeah Paddy McNaughton is just out of the Cushendall minor team but has played both the 2009 and 2010 Senior County finals and was outstanding in both finals. He is a good hurler and could play in a multitude of positions but midfield is his strongest position in my opinion.

I made a mistake in my earlier post by not putting Johnny Campbell on my panel, I would definitely have him on it.

Regarding the Herrons, unfortunately I dont think they are good enough for County hurling anymore.

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 21/04/2011 15:47:18    916399

Link

Regarding the Herron's, I think only Ciaran was ever good enough for county hurling.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 21/04/2011 16:39:35    916442

Link

I honestly think all 3 Herrons are definitely in the best 24 hurlers in Antrim. That's just my opinion.

ruairi_og (Antrim) - Posts: 9 - 21/04/2011 17:04:24    916466

Link

maybe in Antrim town. Not county Antrim

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 21/04/2011 20:55:51    916597

Link