Antrim Forum

Loughgiel's All-Ireland semi-final.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

On the contrary DR, I've been to the majority of your matches in the All-Ireland and wanted your team to win. I was there the year you should have won it and was shouting for you all the way. I still can't believe that outcome.

Seamroga (Antrim) - Posts: 62 - 16/02/2011 17:18:14    869328

Link

But surely you'd admit seamroga, there would have been a great many of your fellow clubmen who weren't willing them to win.

If it bothers people that much, I suggest they use their influence at local level and try and change the mindset of the people within their own club first and when you've changed hearts and minds at home only then move onto the other clubs.

theskull1 (Antrim) - Posts: 36 - 16/02/2011 18:12:50    869415

Link

bushwhacker are you only able to muster one sentence answers now lol

ks thats a pretty good break down for sats game and a fair one at that. lgiel need to get more scores from their other 5 forwards. liam watson is goos enough to walk onto most teams and his scoring ablitily is second to none but the others need to weight in more.
in the leinster final OLG's midfield was outstanding and thats where the game will be won or lost for lgiel, win that and score when presented with chances and they have a chance of winning

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 17/02/2011 10:55:56    869764

Link

Resting for Sunday,normal service will return soon.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 17/02/2011 13:00:26    869875

Link

Bushwacker if you wait til Sunday you will miss the game.. have to say i agree with Kato and realist on their assesments on Saturdays game. One small point is despite winning the title in 1982 Loughgiel have never won a game outside of Ulster in their entire history and indeed their last foray in to the All Ireland saw the game played in Loughgiel which they eventually lost.
Another interesting point is no Ulster team has even won a match in Parnell Park. Loughgiels only real hope is the element of surprise but again like i say they lack pace in their full back line and midfield can be shaky and with only one or two scoring forwardsi think they will struggle to get the scores. Loughgiel seem to forget that while they did beat both Dunloy and Cushendall they do invite quite a lot of play in their own half.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 17/02/2011 16:55:34    870099

Link

Shenboli............Sunday's celebration,could be a long one !!

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 17/02/2011 17:04:12    870109

Link

Win, lose or draw on saturday we got what we wanted and that was big ears back home any thing after that is a bonus. Were good enough (though some idiots on here think its the worst team to win a championship in 20years - doesnt say much about their own team then) to win. If the lads all hurl on the day we will have another day out, if not no big deal it will be great experience. People forgot there are alot of young players on this team and this can only develop their games. The future bright its red and white

caserox (Antrim) - Posts: 22 - 17/02/2011 17:12:39    870120

Link

Plenty of Ulster teams have won in Parnell park sure just last year St. Galls won their all ireland semi final there

kdog15 (Antrim) - Posts: 197 - 17/02/2011 20:05:15    870300

Link

Well there is alot of tripe being talked on this forum. As for ever that fella dukemnukem is who talked his way through the entire loughgeil team must have little else to do. Ulster hurling is currently a few light years away from the glorious game that is played in the south. Their stick work, fittness, tactical awarness and physic are superior. We cannot put Loughgeil on an even keel with the best in the south because if it was an open draw Lougheil would be far from the top four. Now Loughgeil won a poor Antrim championship. Played at a snails pace. I even thought of taking up the hurl again at the tender age of 56 after the final I watched at Casement. But who would begrudge the shamrocks their day noone not even me. But to say that Loughgeil are 5/1 on saturated is nothing short of ludicrous. If ya gave me 20/1 I would still keep my money in my pocket. This is not because I dont support the team that represents my country it is because im a realist. Loughgeil have been consistently good over the past decade but that by Antrims standards. Im sorry to admit that i dont believe it fairy tales. In my story the baddie always wins and come Saturday this will be O lUaghlain gaels. I wish the red and white army all the best and if they win i will be the most bemused man on the planed. But i would not begrudge them a victory I can just not see how this could happen. People say stranger things have happened. In this case I think not.

kdog15 (Antrim) - Posts: 197 - 17/02/2011 20:17:48    870312

Link

Best of Luck Shamrocks !

fortyfive (Tyrone) - Posts: 5929 - 18/02/2011 20:04:38    871098

Link

Good luck tomorrow - and hope all the Shammrock's have a great weekend in the big smoke.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 18/02/2011 21:20:03    871176

Link

Kdog sorry what i meant to say no ulster senior hurling team has ever won in parnell park. Dunloy won their games in clones (2) Mullingar and Croke Park while Cushendall got a draw against St Josephs dorra barefield (but lost replay) but Rossa, Dunloy and Cushendall have all lost on it. Antrim senior hurlers in the past five years have never won on its surface either.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 18/02/2011 21:51:30    871207

Link

Good luck to the Shamrocks on sat. Give it ur best shot.

carlingman (Down) - Posts: 22 - 19/02/2011 09:06:01    871220

Link

Unlucky the shamrocks today, left their shooting boots at home im afraid. They say that goals win games and that was defo the case today

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 19/02/2011 21:03:06    871618

Link

Unlucky loughgiel, a few little things that didnt go your way could have been the difference.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 21/02/2011 09:27:11    872251

Link

i wasn't far away in my prediction

OLG were poorer than i thought they'd be

kautostar (Antrim) - Posts: 71 - 21/02/2011 10:26:19    872282

Link

sorry to see the cats beat ye yesterday, mcauly had a great game for loughgiel and we might meet them some day in the future. hopefully clarinbridge can upset the gaels apple cart. UP THE BRIDGE

maroon75 (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 21/02/2011 11:37:17    872344

Link

There was nothing unlucky about it. Loughgeil weren't up to it and that's that. Barney was one of their better players on the day, found the match to be very lacklustre and boring compared to De La Salle and Clarinbridge. OLG didn't even appear to be on top form either. Thought L'geil would have put up more of a fight.

WiseOwl (Antrim) - Posts: 3 - 21/02/2011 15:32:08    872678

Link

this was a brutally bad game with two terrible teams. if thats the top team in Kilkenny then im sorry but club hurling there is no better than Antrim, any other side would have beaten O'Loughlin Gaels and wow what a complete and utter letdown Liam Watson was.
At times i thought i was watching the rugby there was so much holding. Very very poor game when compared to the other semifinal. Felt real sorry for John Mullane and co. I hope Clairnbridge can win All Ireland.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 21/02/2011 18:11:54    872922

Link

Loughgeil have nothing to hang their heads for. They played reasonably but with the 2 goal chances missed, and several attempts at points narrowly missed and had these been converted things could have been different. Those same chances came Loughgeil's way against Keady and they took them every time and it seemed as if they couldnt miss in that game. However, Loughgeil done Antrim, Ulster and Hurling proud in the way they accepted defeat and also their Supporters were terrific. Given that we had been told that Loughgeil had some dubious support it certainly did'nt look like that on Saturday. It looked as if there was no-one left in Loughgeil and whats more they supported their team to the final whistle. Well done Loughgeil

8596 (Armagh) - Posts: 30 - 21/02/2011 20:20:13    873111

Link