Antrim Forum

Liam Watson

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sure Cushendall never won a trophy of any kind until 1980.They have a long way to go to catch Loughgiel or Ballycastle.Right enough they got drunk in London one year and lost to the London junior champions,whereas we won an all-Ireland,as we never tire of reminding you.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 30/08/2010 20:11:38    760716

Link

Since Lougheil won ' the big yin ' they hace not won another senior championship.Armoy won it in 89 and all lougheil have done since then is crack under the pressure, yet their deluded fans keep spouting of at the mouth.I think they will actually win it this year but Cushendall have always been most dangerous as underdogs

amadan (USA) - Posts: 3 - 30/08/2010 21:37:15    760827

Link

Aye Loughgiel, home of Antrim hurling, what a load of tripe. Since 1972 Loughgiel have only won 2 championships and the one they got in 89 should actually go down as a win for an amalgimated side, maybe Loughgiel Glen Rovers or Armoy Shamrocks. We don't have a long way to go to catch Loughgiel, we have 11 since 81, Loughgiel have 15 since 1920. So if the current trend continues we will overtake Loughgiel very shortly. The last time Loughgiel were the best team in Antrim they were all wearing flat caps and going to matches on the back of wee grey tractors, hold on people from loughgiel probably still wear flat caps and go to matches on tractors because they are a shower of backward, stuck in the past, england 1966, still going on about a match that happened before most of the current senior team were even born, hillbilly bumpkins.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 31/08/2010 09:08:56    760907

Link

we sucked big time on sunday and have no complaints about being out of the running this year. mind you we did suck and yet loughgiel only beat us by 7 at the end.

hard to call who will win it this year as no one has looked good at all including the 2 semi finals. i wouldnt be shocked if loughgiel won it this year as cushendall were pretty poor in their semi final.

also shamrocker you indeed are a muppet and probably a good example of why so many people hate seeing yous actually win anything. sure the schools are back now we wont hear much out of you now!

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 31/08/2010 09:37:26    760922

Link

Wasnt surprised Loughgiel beat Dunloy, that is a pretty poor Dunloy team who were lucky to catch Cushendall on such a bad day last year.

Crazy Legs (Antrim) - Posts: 56 - 31/08/2010 10:21:16    760969

Link

luck can only carry you so far CL, it doesnt put a ball in the net or over the bar more times than you oponents

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 31/08/2010 10:53:41    761017

Link

Cushendall...........home of hurling...what a joke,talking about Armoy Shamrocks when their team is made up mainly from "blow-ins". They are a good championship team,no doubt about that,but they don't have hurlers like Leonard Mc Keegan etc.anymore.A team of passable journeymen who have been winning when Antrim hurling is at a low ebb.There are only three teams at senior level with a chance of winning the championship,and this has been the case for years.When Loughgiel and Ballycastle were winning( and Cushendall were a joke) there were 5 or 6 teams capable of winning.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 31/08/2010 11:08:04    761037

Link

bushwacker who are cushendalls blow ins? I was slagging Loughgiel about calling themselves the home of hurling, it was wrote on a sign on the way into Loughgiel last year. I think your getting sentemental about the old days, I can understand why, its because you havn't seen senior sucsess for so long. To talk about "Back when Loughgiel and Ballycastle were winning championships" is a bit silly, Loughgiel havn't won championships regularly since the late 60's/ early 70's thats almost 40 years with only 2 championships. Flat cap days, are you trying to tell me Loughgiels players from the 60's are better hurlers than lads that are playing now? Wise up, they couldn't get near the fitness or skill level that Antrims finest hurlers have now. This is what happens at clubs where they have been starved of sucsess for so long, they hanker back to days gone by and they are fooled by stories and yarns about the boys who hurled 40 years ago. For my money the best ever club hurling side in Ulster was the Dunloy team of 1990 to 2003 and they only team capable of competing with them in Ulster was Cushendall. Hurling in Antrim is not at a low ebb, we are on the way up, we had our biggest victory since 1989 this year against Dublin at croke park. Ruairi Og have been the only team from Antrim to even compete in All Ireland semi finals recently and they have won 3 of the last 5 county titles, that makes Ruairi Og Antrims premier hurling club at this moment in time whether Loughgiel like it or not. Keep watching your black and white 1983 videos because I have a feeling your going to need them to cheer you up in 4 weeks time.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 31/08/2010 13:49:36    761321

Link

I think you'll find that there are more flat caps around Cushendall than anywhere else,not that that's a crime.You "ganch"on about the modern,pampered,fit hurlers,if it hadn't been for the less spoiled players of yesteryear there would be no hurling in Antrim.Cushendall certainly didn't contribute much in the early days,any good hurlers they had,and there were some good ones,had to go to Glenariffe or Cushendun,to get a game.Both of these team won championships when Cushendall were buying their first flat caps.As for harping back to old times,I bet you could give me a few years,and you're anti- Shamrocks drivel is becoming tiresome.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 31/08/2010 14:50:55    761415

Link

Is this the great Antrim team that were stuffed this year by those great hurling giants Carlow and Westmeath,and who's best ever team were beaten in 1989 by 18 points?

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 31/08/2010 14:57:08    761427

Link

Bushwacker Antrim didn't get stuffed by Carlow or Westmeath, in fact in the championship Antrim had a fine victory against Carlow. Your talking about Antrim being beaten in the league, you see to most hurling people its the championship that counts but I can understand your attitude. If I was from Loughgiel I'd talk less about championship and more about league hurling as well.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 31/08/2010 15:44:27    761497

Link

Bushwacker I suppose I could harp back about days gone by for you, 2005 county final, 2006 county final, 2008 county final, 2009 semi final, need I go on?

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 31/08/2010 15:47:20    761500

Link

No you need not. Put the handbags away before someone gets hurt.

ar_an_chnoc (Antrim) - Posts: 142 - 31/08/2010 16:41:30    761606

Link

Well it kept your two dozen supporters happy,make sure to bring your usual two minibus loads of supporters up for the final,and don't forget the dog.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 31/08/2010 16:58:36    761639

Link

i see in the irish news the day that liam may be out of the final now with a cruiciate injury now. would be bad news for the shammrocks as hes the only forward they have i ever worried about if im honest.

any thoughts folks?

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 01/09/2010 09:45:57    762133

Link

Realist that is bad news for Loughgiel, to be honest he is the only forward I would fear as well, on his day he is almost unmarkable, it would be sad if he didn't make it, even as a Cushendall man I'd like to see him play because you want the final to be as high quality a match as possible. Also if we beat them I don't want them to have any excuses.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 01/09/2010 10:40:03    762201

Link

it doesnt say how serious it is at the min tho, due to the swelling etc around it but it did have an op on it years ago whilst a minor. it would, as you say, be a pity if he did miss out on the final.

althought he has played in 6 finals and hasnt made a difference. this loughgiel team isnt as strong as a few years ago when we beat them in the final, i actuallyt thought that was a better team over all.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 01/09/2010 13:25:48    762372

Link

"Ruairi Og have been the only team from Antrim to even compete in All Ireland semi finals recently..." Beaten by the mighty powers of Loughrea and De la Salle, probably 2 of the worst teams ever to play in All-Ireland semi finals.

DukeNukem (Antrim) - Posts: 34 - 01/09/2010 20:34:55    762934

Link

Duke how did Loughgiel get on in all ireland semi's the past 20 years? Oh thats rite they havn't been in any

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 02/09/2010 08:39:22    763066

Link

winning an all ireland semi final isnt an easy task. cushendall have been desperatly unlucky not to be in a final before now. ive seen them in a fair few of them and luck was def not on their side, esp against de la salle.

we beat some cracking sides like Portumna, athenrye, glenmore, mount sion etc and for you Duke to say some of these sides are bad well you know eff all about hurling mate! these sides that the dall played won munster or connaght (galway) titles. how many bad galway sides can you name? could loughgiel have come within 10 points of those sides back then? absolutly not!

2 titles in 30 years means you have little to put anyone down about in terms of club hurling!

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 02/09/2010 10:53:26    763146

Link