Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

away from the county board / management shambles. the county final yesterday was a disappointment, aside from the first 10/11 minutes and the start of the second half cratloe were very poor. similarly to last years final, they will never admit it but their dual schedule is having a negative impact on both codes. i am fairly sure that if it was a hurling only club that in the 10 seasons since their first hurling title in 2009 that they would have won at least 3 or 4 more titles as opposed to just the one they added in 14.
one other point i think is worth making, i have been to a lot of senior championship games in clare over the years and i cant remember the last time i came out of a game thinking the referee had a good game. the standard is poor. huge credit to niall malone, he seems to be a really good ref. he did a great job yesterday. in what is his first year reffing senior hurling. i think it will be very soon he is called up by the gaa to ref intercounty games.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 14/10/2019 10:05:48    2243304

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "away from the county board / management shambles. the county final yesterday was a disappointment, aside from the first 10/11 minutes and the start of the second half cratloe were very poor. similarly to last years final, they will never admit it but their dual schedule is having a negative impact on both codes. i am fairly sure that if it was a hurling only club that in the 10 seasons since their first hurling title in 2009 that they would have won at least 3 or 4 more titles as opposed to just the one they added in 14.
one other point i think is worth making, i have been to a lot of senior championship games in clare over the years and i cant remember the last time i came out of a game thinking the referee had a good game. the standard is poor. huge credit to niall malone, he seems to be a really good ref. he did a great job yesterday. in what is his first year reffing senior hurling. i think it will be very soon he is called up by the gaa to ref intercounty games."
Hexpert, the football can be used as an excuse to an extent but Cratloe time and time again lose in big games as they lack a bit of fight. Ballyea ( minus 5 starters) beat them last year and they also lost in other years in semis and finals in last decade when the going got tough. They lack balance up front, the Bridge are a more rounded team.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 14/10/2019 11:01:01    2243339

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Hexpert, the football can be used as an excuse to an extent but Cratloe time and time again lose in big games as they lack a bit of fight. Ballyea ( minus 5 starters) beat them last year and they also lost in other years in semis and finals in last decade when the going got tough. They lack balance up front, the Bridge are a more rounded team."
Was a huge technical affair yesterday disappointing day really nut end justify's means i spose

Cratloe lacked ball winners diden't work the lines well after Conor MCGrath got hurt space was denied them to work running game. I Thought Bridge backs excellent Caiman Morey minded the House in the D its surprising that he never got called up to senior for Clare IMO at least . Barry Fitzpatrick got man of match and might get called up as we badly need defenders but for Cathal Malone { i was often critical of him} but yesterday he out in a great shift his striking has hugely improved Brian Corry of SMB also a tidy corner forward.

Ultimately Davy's tactics prevailed looking at line out today in paper his formation was

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 14/10/2019 13:27:32    2243391

Link

one other point i meant to make was in relation to billy connors. he has been one of cratloes best forwards this year - in what is a very talented forward line. he is also their regular free taker. i can only assume he must have been sick or injured yesterday as he was very quiet and withdrawn at half time, but what i think was very strange is that he wasnt even taking the frees. they missed 4 frees which proved hugely costly.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1817 - 14/10/2019 13:52:32    2243399

Link

Good organisation beats some talented individuals every single time. I know Connors and McGrath didnt perform for whatever reason but they were well beaten.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 19/10/2019 12:26:22    2244345

Link

Best of luck to Brian Lohan and his management he has a tough task inheriting a team that's been there quiet a while with little new talent coming through the ranks.

At Munster club level in senior & Intermediate we were well & true beaten this year
Brian was without doubt one and probably the best full back of his or probably any era a force of nature winning mentality.

He will give a honost effort and keep it simple id say the championship team that played its last game v Cork is probably our best formation simple quick ball to inside line unfortunately the Peter the great looks like he will be gone although it was rumoured that he might have been back at start of championship.

Anyway best of luck to them

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 465 - 12/11/2019 17:17:03    2249296

Link